Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

fraustrated

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:25 PM
pengsylvania

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fraustrated

okay, i have a mad truck that i want to turn into a SEMI-crawler but still want to keep it the way it is. I don't plan on doing hardcore crawling up a side of a mountain but just to have a little fun in the woods and stuff. I don't know how to get it to climb, once i inch it up to a curb it just stops and does not have enough power to attempt to get up onto the curb. I know that crawlers that when you push it up against the wall it will push itself up on the side of the wall. Am i don't something wrong? could it be my ESC that can't handle it? I have an AI automatic ESC and a 55t motor and i thought it would be plently but when i installed the 55t motor it's as quick as the 540 motor that came with it. Could someone give some advise on what else i need to do? do i have to change some gears or get a rc4wd gear reduction unit? The guys at the hobby shop told me i shouldn't have to change out my pinion and spur gears if i use the 55t motor.

I'm looking for some help guys and not a bashing because it's a HENG LONG MAD TRUCK. i don't know much about crawling yet but i am trying to understand it and what makes them so unstoppable. i've done a lot of reading and seems like most crawlers use a 55t motor and it climbs quite well and it doesn't just stop when it bumps up against a curb. the truck itself has plenty of speed and is actually pretty fast for what it is. but i want to be able to drive it in rough terrains at slower speeds and have it be able to crawl. Thanks in advanced guys, and please no bashing cause my next truck is going to be the traxxas summit!!
Old 02-12-2009, 10:44 PM
hands without shadows

Default RE: fraustrated

Gear down. Try the lowest gearing you can possibly run.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:56 PM
FairTax4me

Crawlers go everywhere because of their gearing. Most crawlers don't go much faster than a normal walking pace at full throttle.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:40 AM
pengsylvania

so i should get some sort of a gear reduction even though i am using a 55t motor right? because i don't see a difference in torque from the 55t and the 540 stock motor. Thank you guys for your response now i guess i have to try and figure if i'm going to buy the gear reduction unit or not. keep them coming if you have other suggestions. Would you guys agree if i did purchase the rc4wd gear reduction unit?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:55 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Does your truck have an adjustable motor mount? If so, run the lowest gearing possible if you really want it to crawl. Or if its not adjustable enough you may have to get a reduction unit. Most vehicles arent meant to be geared that low, so you probably will have to buy a reduction unit.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:00 AM
cummins driver

Check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYFexR-1Eb0

This should help you a LOT. Get in touch with the guy and talk to him about his setup, because it looks like it does great
Old 02-13-2009, 09:11 AM
pengsylvania

cummins,

yes thats exactly what i want just something for that purpose, the guy has welded diffs and an rc4wd conversion so i think maybe i'll try doing that unless i get the traxxas summit soon then i'll keep it the way it is. man, i've been blowing away money trying everything but the gear reduction unit. oh well at least i know i have extra motors and ESC's.

what do you think i should get? the 3:1 reduction unit or the 4:1?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:35 AM
cummins driver

Get the 4:1 gear reduction unit for sure. I feel like that would be best for a crawler. About walking speed is all you are looking for. I think you can still change the pinion gear with a gear reduction, so you can always gear it up just a hair, or get a high rpm motor if its a little too low. Anyways, Id get the 4:1[8D]
Old 02-13-2009, 12:28 PM
pengsylvania

awesome! hey i really appreciate everyones advice and thank you for not bashing my MAD TRUCK lol. everyones gotta start somewhere right? I will order me a reduction unit next week! but in the mean time, if there are any other suggestions, i am all ears.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:06 PM
cummins driver

Definately lock the differentials. Make it as flexible as possible too without losing ground clearence. You want the suspension arms to articulate freely over obstacles. Really there isnt much more to it

I actually like the looks of the mad truck. Too bad its probably hard to get parts for.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:06 PM
pengsylvania

yeah it's actually not a bad truck, i've ordered parts from australia and canada and the shipping normally takes about a week, that's the only set back on it. i agree with most people that it's not the quality of $500 truck but for bout $150 for this truck it's great! I would buy another one for sure if this one was completely destroyed. I run it pretty hard and it's still holding up very well. yeah i'm gonna lock the diffs when i get the reduction unit so in the mean time i can still mess with it. i want to figure out a way i can lock it temporary so i can always convert back when i want to. Thanks for all your advise cummins.