Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Help with beginner (somewhat)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 03:02 PM
jermainezey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help with beginner (somewhat)

u could still get a rtr run then any thing u want to change u could still do so and the parts u take off u could do like i do and keep em or do like i used to do and sell them then later down the road u find a nice used truck for a low price and the parts that u need for it are the same parts u had and sold then u kick yourself so now every time i take parts off i keep em i have now all kinds of parts i even have engines just seating around so parts i took of off roller that i sold
Old 12-24-2009, 04:17 PM
bronx boy

the associated mmgt 3.0 is rock solid all i did with mine is put a paris ripple pipe on it and i really cranked does wheelies front and backwards on the grass what a blast to drive
Old 12-24-2009, 04:25 PM
jermainezey

i have fun wit my 3.0 as well i just put in a .21 to see what th truck really would do
Old 12-24-2009, 06:35 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please do yourself a favor go look at the Losi Monster truck, Im not sure if they call it a LST XL or what. You get about the highest quality electronics you could possibally buy from the aftermarket. Its a 2.4 gigahertz radio that eliminates the worry of other channels people are running on, It moniters engine temp from the radio to the truck, rpm, amount of voltage left in reciever pack. It has a 454 big block its 1/8, has a 2spd handles great, upgraded clutch. The only thing you might change out in the future is a better motor. The stocker is very good, but there are better.

The thing about the big mgt is you would have to buy that higher quality radio, I can't speak to its handling characteristics, but i would imagine it is pretty good.

I own a savage, a LST from losi, a MGT, which I have never run yet, and a Traxxas revo. Truly the best handling is the LST, with the Revo coming closer, but it is more track oriented. The Savage is what it is a monster truck,and it handles like a monster truck but it is still a good vehicle. The associated I need to get it out and run it.

Truggies are absolute terrors on the track, bashing or pavement, they are insanely strong, and you really beat them hard.

Buggies are great for racing but to low to the ground for bashing, deep grass will really slow them down.

Losi, Associated, Hpi, or traxxas are all very good brands, with Losi and Associated having more of a race heritage. Don't get me wrong Hpi makes a great vehicle, they were my first, and hooked me on the hobby.

If you want to go on the extreme end of kits for truggies, Losi, AE, Mugen, xray Odonell.

Other things to think about: If you go nitro a rechargable glow igniter, spare glow plugs, if it has electric or roto start, a 9 volt pack for it plus a charger. Fuel bottle, mild blue thread lock.

The electric brushless monsters are super fast, but admission is high close to 600. ea: bl revo, or savage flux. Special charger for lipos, plus the cost of lipos which i understand can be very high. (help on this would be appreciated). You got so many choices beside the above its crazy. I also own 299.00 tower terror, its crazy fun to run, its wheely happy, super quick, just a blast to beat. The best handling? no, the fastest? no. But fun wise its just great. Like I said i own all the major monsters to.

Good luck on your ventures
Old 12-24-2009, 08:24 PM
jtf8751

Thanks man for the info, yeah I think your talking about the Losi lst XXL, it looks like a nice truck for sure. But would you suggest going this route or getting a kit for to build myself? Would you have more in it? I mean I could take the truck apart myself later. Last, should I consider truggies? What do you think about stadium trucks? Thanks guys.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:35 PM
silverman1

The LST XXL will give you more speed and ground clearance than a truggy, it will have great handling, and is a easy beast to work on. Truggies are simpler in that they have 3 diffs, which means it will have a 1spd drive. Both are highly tunable, you can tune the diffs an suspension by running different diff fluids, you can swap out shock oils to tune your suspension, both are capable of big air. I forgot to mention that you can really get technical doing suspension set up also, the caster & camber, toe in & toe out, droop, its endless, these things are just like real cars only nore tunable. People say the building experience really makes you better understand the vehicle and how it works, I like rtrs myself, like I said though the radio is top shelf with the LST XXL. You can learn by tearing it down. A lot of guys like to tear their trucks down to put their choice of diff fluids in, and to make sure everything is tight. Some guys pull their motors a part and seal them before running them to make them air tight, air leaks can cause you tunning nightmares. Sealing a motor really improves upon performance. There is so much you can do to a kit or an rtr. I would stay with the big 4 Losi, associated, traxxas and hpi, because it is easier to get parts for them, plus aftermarket hop ups, tons for the savage, many for the losi, and traxxas and AE.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:33 AM
jtf8751

ORIGINAL: silverman1

The LST XXL will give you more speed and ground clearance than a truggy, it will have great handling, and is a easy beast to work on. Truggies are simpler in that they have 3 diffs, which means it will have a 1spd drive. Both are highly tunable, you can tune the diffs an suspension by running different diff fluids, you can swap out shock oils to tune your suspension, both are capable of big air. I forgot to mention that you can really get technical doing suspension set up also, the caster & camber, toe in & toe out, droop, its endless, these things are just like real cars only nore tunable. People say the building experience really makes you better understand the vehicle and how it works, I like rtrs myself, like I said though the radio is top shelf with the LST XXL. You can learn by tearing it down. A lot of guys like to tear their trucks down to put their choice of diff fluids in, and to make sure everything is tight. Some guys pull their motors a part and seal them before running them to make them air tight, air leaks can cause you tunning nightmares. Sealing a motor really improves upon performance. There is so much you can do to a kit or an rtr. I would stay with the big 4 Losi, associated, traxxas and hpi, because it is easier to get parts for them, plus aftermarket hop ups, tons for the savage, many for the losi, and traxxas and AE.
Yes it does for sure, man this is great info, thanks. I do like that truck for sure. I am used to sealing a motor, I raced karts for years throughout the country and some classes I ran specified sealed motors, so we had to seal out motors. But anyway, I love that you can tune the motor and suspension to the way you want it. I always did my own caster/camber, toe in and toe out, so thats awesome that you can do that. I like the fact that the radio is top notch because I was worried about that. I will look around for a good deal on one if I can. I think you have made me seriously look at the Losi. Thanks man, if you can add anything let me know. I know Losi has some major upgrades out there also.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:53 AM
jermainezey

am going be seal my engines soon i have to kits that am not done with and i have to rtrs and am think bout get one rtr then go back to building the kits i started on
Old 12-25-2009, 09:49 AM
jtf8751

Silverman, how do you compare the savage xl or flux to the losi lst xxl monster truck?
Old 12-25-2009, 10:14 AM
jermainezey

i say get a monster truck u can pretty much drive it any where tall grass deep mud and on the street if u like
Old 12-25-2009, 04:43 PM
silverman1

The Losi will run rings around the savage handling wise, but Like I said the savage was built on a quote " conventional monster truck" Thus it handles more like a monster truck. The Losi XXL is kinda of built like a truggy chasis wise. I here the Flux is just totally crazy power wise speed wise etc, its so on the verge of out of control its a total blast to drive. Id love to have a flux but limited run times, and the cost of battery packs, and the cost of the truck just don't justify it. Yeah nitro will be slower, but like one guy said its a fuel and go operation once tuned in. You have to tweak your needle settings a tiny bit based on the air your running in, humid, or low humidity but thats part of the game.

I won't knock a savage as they have served many people very well, but I really love the way my LST handles, and drives over the savage, both are great trucks, but you get much better electrics and a great motor for starters. Read more or flip a coin either truck is a winner!
Old 12-25-2009, 05:35 PM
jtf8751

Thanks man, I like better handling trucks so that's good. Can u go any bigger on the lst xxl engine? I know it comes with a 454 which is big but wondered if I wanted to go faster or change the gearing in the truck to help it out. Just want to be able to mod anywhere I can. Thanks man.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:49 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the better handling of the monster trucks is the revo. Its 1/10th scale though. Even though the HPI 1/8th MT savage is about the same size, the revo 1/10th is actually closer to real world scaleing. The revo is about the same size as a 1/8 MT or Truggy, at 1/10th scale.
Losi have such a strong on track reliability record, you cannot knock em, like associated, bullet proof.
l presume you have decided to ride with nitro over brushless.
l would probably be looking at the   truggy, stronger drive line over the MT's.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:55 PM
jtf8751

Anybody else have any responses? Silverman?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:24 PM
silverman1

Truggies are super tough, I don't think you'll find a monster truck quite as tough, but a monster truck is still very tough also. As far as motors go, you can go with a high performance engine, a nova rossi, a OS V spec .30, A GRP engine or a picco .28, I have heard they are extremely powerful. I will say my truggy can be brutally beaten, and holds up well until you challange a brick wall, in most cases it does not matter what you are driving, you'll lose in that battle. How about a Losi Muggy, a cross between a monster and a truggy?

Truggies have lower ground clearance but will still go most anywhere, the monster trucks have higher ground clearance, and will go in rougher places but will flip easier than a truggy. Its a real toss up. I have both and love both. The truggy is just a brutal beast, begging to be beat on. (saying break me if you can). Both are great.

The one thing I will add to all this is be prepared to be challanged by the nitro tuning aspect, its not that tricky, but can be challanging. Your truck may run great one day and need a totally different tune another day. Break in is challanging. Carry spare glow plugs, start with manufacture needle settings, Only tune the high speed needle first through break in, and then tune your low speed needle, follow the instructions, and only make very small 1/8 or 1/12 adjustments, less is more (trust me) I used to tune to much and would get my carb all out of wack.

There is a great guy on youtube called squirrel who goes into all aspects of tuning and different methods of break in, excellent stuff. I follow his break in method. You'll learn a tremedous amount from his tuning videos, probably 12 or more, and its free stuff. Oh try checking out truggies in action on youtube or lst xxl. The videos will give you an idea which is tougher. Just type the names you find plenty of videos.

good luck
Old 12-27-2009, 08:37 PM
jtf8751

You still recommend Losi for a truggy or do you agree that the Revo as piddlefoot said is a little better monster truck? Which truggy do you recommend in Losi, isn't their multiple? I don't mind tuning because I'm used to it, I tuned my kart race engines almost every time I went out on the track and was always adjusting my cart so I don't mind, thats the fun in it. I definitely like having options for engines, because you want to go faster. If you recommend a truggy I can get a deal on that would be great and get the good electronics as the monster truck, I guess the newer ones aren't always the best. Thanks man.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:28 PM
jermainezey

Truggies are super tough, I don't think you'll find a monster truck quite as tough, but a monster truck is still very tough also. As far as motors go, you can go with a high performance engine, a nova rossi, a OS V spec .30, A GRP engine or a picco .28, I have heard they are extremely powerful. I will say my truggy can be brutally beaten, and holds up well until you challange a brick wall, in most cases it does not matter what you are driving, you'll lose in that battle. How about a Losi Muggy, a cross between a monster and a truggy?

Truggies have lower ground clearance but will still go most anywhere, the monster trucks have higher ground clearance, and will go in rougher places but will flip easier than a truggy. Its a real toss up. I have both and love both. The truggy is just a brutal beast, begging to be beat on. (saying break me if you can). Both are great.

The one thing I will add to all this is be prepared to be challanged by the nitro tuning aspect, its not that tricky, but can be challanging. Your truck may run great one day and need a totally different tune another day. Break in is challanging. Carry spare glow plugs, start with manufacture needle settings, Only tune the high speed needle first through break in, and then tune your low speed needle, follow the instructions, and only make very small 1/8 or 1/12 adjustments, less is more (trust me) I used to tune to much and would get my carb all out of wack.

There is a great guy on youtube called squirrel who goes into all aspects of tuning and different methods of break in, excellent stuff. I follow his break in method. You'll learn a tremedous amount from his tuning videos, probably 12 or more, and its free stuff. Oh try checking out truggies in action on youtube or lst xxl. The videos will give you an idea which is tougher. Just type the names you find plenty of videos.

good luck
when tuning the carb u should really use 1/4 adjustments which is the same as one hour movment of a clock 1/4 makes a high noticeable change in a nitro engine
Old 12-28-2009, 02:29 AM
hydroboy
My Feedback: (1)

Is that MGT a kit? My first truck was a Savage 25 SS kit, I absolutely loved the build that is half of the fun in the hobby for me. Not to mention the first time you clip a tree at 40mph and tear the thing up you've got a good idea on how to quickly repair it! If I had to do it all over at tjis point in time I'd go with the savage XL, with it being a little longer and wider it stands to reason that it might roll and flip a little less. Theres nothing better than the sound of a nitro but after driving my newest rig a brushless RC8e I have got to admit that they are equally impressive in their own right. Quite a rant but the jist is the Savage is ridiculously durable I've never seen an MGT run in person.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 AM
jermainezey

my mgt 3.0 was a ready to run after runing it for bout 3 months i tore it down to the frame once i got ready to put in the big block once i took every thing off the frame i power wash the frame in hot water to remove all the cake on dirt and mud off the frame then i order all the items needed to drop in the big block as well as order it then it all went back to gather again along with new brakes and upgraded servos for steering and the servo that came off i used it for ch 2
Old 12-28-2009, 09:37 PM
silverman1

Losi 8 T for racing its around 699.00 and comes with the same great electronics as the LST xxl. Jammin X2 I hear is a very good truggy rtr, around 500.00 elctronics are very basic. The rc8 by Associated is a very good truggy, around 600.00 digital fm radio, Kit without engine or electrics is the same price.

Honestly you need to watch them in action to make your choice. Just like the guy woth the savage ss said he loves how tough it is.

I know I like the LST as a choice monster truck, you'll get different opinions every time. I was reading how much a guy loved his MGT 8.0 by associated.

The ball's in your court do some actual research based on how they run again i would go to youtube to observe them in action.