Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

good car or crap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:25 AM
steelersfan101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good car or crap?

ok so here is the linnkhttp://www.rcplanet.com/DuraTrax_Eva...kasterisk-.htmi was wondering how fast someting like this go and how much is the charger and batterie and also is it going to be durible?// thanks in advance steelersfan101
Old 12-30-2009, 12:28 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: good car or crap?

Your link doesn't work.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:34 AM
steelersfan101

ok here is another http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LZ0091**

Old 12-30-2009, 12:39 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a decent entry level truck, nothing special great but it's not bad either.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:40 AM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

What are you looking to do with it? Are you looking for something to just play around with and maybe jump? Or are you interested in racing?

If you're new to this hobby, I recommend reading this:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9337359/tm.htm
Old 12-30-2009, 01:34 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

The duratrax evader is a good vehicle. Its not the strongest r/c, but it also has several nice features, and is a decent racing platform, and parts are pretty cheap and easy to get too.

I had one several years ago. It was a pretty nice truck, and was a lot of fun to run. I am actually trying to maybe pick one up for cheap right now Just to have another electric to play with since my other 2 vehicles are nitro.

They are a great beginner truck, just dont expect it to be able to run it into stuff all the time and drive it away, or install a brushless system and beat it because the transmission wont take it. For its purpose and price it does good though.

Eric
Old 12-30-2009, 01:34 AM
summitboy

like sheograth said ints not the best but not the worst but iwouldn'trecommendthat charger
Old 12-30-2009, 01:43 AM
scoobs92

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ther is better than that but atlease alot of hobby stores carry parts for them
Old 12-30-2009, 04:50 AM
Straick

I have an Evader ST that I turn to when the nitro's break or don't feel like running nitro. The only real upgrades I've done to it are getting a set of aluminum hubs and knuckles for all the way around. The stock plastic ones didn't hold up well for me(construction site racing). Only other upgrade I did was to swap out the rear suspension mount for the Pro version. Kept snapping the original one apart.
Other than those two areas, the truck will hold up well is stock form. If you go to a slightly better motor, then you'll want to look into CV axles. The Nitro Evader ST axles were a direct drop in replacement for the stock universal style, and are holding up much better.
As strange as this may sound, a friend of mine and I have literally tried to break it by running it, only to fail every time at our attempts, and we are pretty darned good at breaking stuff that supposedly doesn't break.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's a 680+ page thread on Evaders in the electric forum. Search for 'evader coalition.'

The consensus is always as it is above. They're OK.

But for the $156 Tower is asking for it, you could add $30 and get something really nice in the Traxxas Rustler or HPI E-Firestorm.

Rustler:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXNJH9**&P=ML

E-Firestorm:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTDU6&P=ML

The Rustler includes a battery pack and a (very slow) wall charger. The E-Firestorm includes neither, but is a better handling truck by most opinions.

Plan on adding another $50 for a one-hour charger and another battery pack, and you're good to go. Oh, and a set of AAs of course for the transmitter.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:35 AM
cenracer1

I tend to agree with Jeremy Z on his choices.. I have seen the Duratrax run a few times at the track and its OK.. parts are not difficult to get, but not as common at the LHS as the Traxxas Rustler and HPI Firestorm... If you are looking for a great basher, go with the Traxxas Rustler.. one of the best for that.. If you are wanting to race, then the HPI.. slightly better handling.. I have the Rustler and beat the heck out of it.. not much damage in several years of abuse...
Old 12-30-2009, 11:11 AM
rebuilder

Its not nearly "crap", its a decent medium-level rig in my opinion.........................
Old 12-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just came across this review elsewhere and looked up this thread to post it.
http://www.bigsquidrc.com/rc-reviews...xt-rtr-review/

Looks like it might be worth a try, but I'll stick with what I originally posted. Go with the Rustler or E-Firestorm if you can afford it.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:14 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They're not terrible If you treat them nice and plan to run them basically stock. If you plan and real beating of dream or something fast then there are certainly better choices. Like Jeremy said. The Rustler or Firestorm are much better trucks for just a few dollars more.