Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

I need some quick advice.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:18 AM
MyMonkey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some quick advice.

Ok. You have all seen the "What truggy,buggy/truck/etc should I get?" threads. This is yet another. However, I have been out of the hobby for several years and have peaked a newly defined interest in it again. [8D] So, without further adieu I will be purchasing a new truggy/M Truck etc. Yes, thank you! Thank you! I know you are all glad to see my untimely return. [X(] LOL

Here we go. I am intrigued by the new Losi 10-T. The onboard starting system seems right up my alley. However, I am not as knowledgeable about the variety of available models out there at this point and do not want to choose something as a gimmick only. I also think the Traxxas Revo is promising. As well as the 8-T 2.0. This vehicle will be for bashing and my budget is around $1000 I suppose max. I need a durable easy to wrench RTR platform that can do it all really. Bash in the grass, dirt, very slim chance I will ever race this truck. I once raced the AE RC 10 GT and loved the T-Maxx I had. oh! Forgot to add that I like brushless technology and am not only limited to Nitro vehicles but do enjoy wrenching and the added element of sound.

What do you folks recommend? Are there any other models I should give serious consideration too? Or just jump on the 10-T from Losi?

JJ
Old 01-01-2010, 10:01 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I need some quick advice.

Well welcome back to the hobby. The TEN T is a very nice truck and will probably be my next purchase. In your case the only down fall I see is its size being a 1/10 truggy. For bashing I would go with the Revo. Traxxas claims it is a 1/10 but it seems way bigger. It has good speed, durability, and can take on any terrain. It also has the convenience of the Easy Start system which I like a lot on my Jato. Now if you want the mother of all ruggedness then a Monster Truck such as the Savage X4.6 or the Savage XL would be your best bet. They are tough as nails, can take tons of abuse, and also have the convenient Roto Start system.

I'm no electric Guy but since you also like electric you can also look into the E-Revo VXL and the Savage Flux. Both are incredible. Really no other words to describe them except for wow!

Hope this helps a litle.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:04 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for a $1000 budget I'd say screw it and buy a Baja 5b ot 5T and go gas powered seeing its cheaper to keep running, but thats just me personally

It all depends what kind of area your going to be driving it and what kind of performance your looking for. Some people want lean mean speed machines for bashers some people like lumbering hulks that flip easy but will drive over almost anything in their way.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:11 AM
MyMonkey

Thanks for the replies. I failed to say that I have no idea where I will run this vehicle. However, it will be a varied terrain. From paved lots to construction sites. Sure wish I had a dedicated spot but I don't. Used to have a great spot back in the day. All building now. DOH!

I read a great deal of information here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9364126/tm.htm

I do like the Revo. Seemed promising. I had heard bad things about the savage but that may just be propaganda.

Oh, and the 5th scale stuff is just too big. I have wanted one and if I had a place to run it I sure would pick one up. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:48 AM
supertib

If you want the most durable unit then buy a 1/8th Truggy like a Mugen 5T or 6T....Truggies like these are tough as nails...much tougher then any f the MT's......personally I don't think the MT's are overly durable, you will end up fixxing and repairing them as much as you will be driving them....

Losi 10T is a cool little ride, soon there will be a big block kit for it as well.......a 10T with a race .21 will be a rocket.....
Old 01-01-2010, 04:03 PM
MyMonkey

ORIGINAL: supertib

If you want the most durable unit then buy a 1/8th Truggy like a Mugen 5T or 6T....Truggies like these are tough as nails...much tougher then any f the MT's......personally I don't think the MT's are overly durable, you will end up fixxing and repairing them as much as you will be driving them....

Losi 10T is a cool little ride, soon there will be a big block kit for it as well.......a 10T with a race .21 will be a rocket.....
I think you may be correct. However, I think the AE MGT looks great. I am now leaning toward either the 10T, 8T 2.0 or the MGT 8.0.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Revos and Savages are both great trucks. Much more suited to bashing than anything by AE or Losi. Those are race trucks and are simpy not as durable.

I'd either go for an E-Revo (no need to settle for nitro) or an HPI Baja and go big. A brushless Baja would be really cool, but would be prohibitively expensive in a vehicle this size. Therefore, gas and not nitro is the way to go. With these, you'd need a lot of space that doesn't mind noise though. It is like a weedeater with a bad muffler flying around at full throttle.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 AM
MyMonkey

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Z

Revos and Savages are both great trucks. Much more suited to bashing than anything by AE or Losi. Those are race trucks and are simpy not as durable.

I'd either go for an E-Revo (no need to settle for nitro) or an HPI Baja and go big. A brushless Baja would be really cool, but would be prohibitively expensive in a vehicle this size. Therefore, gas and not nitro is the way to go. With these, you'd need a lot of space that doesn't mind noise though. It is like a weedeater with a bad muffler flying around at full throttle.

Oddly, I have been looking at the 1/5th scale rides. Looks promising. I never did like the savage but am looking into them now. Those Baja videos look great. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Jeremy Z

I like the 1/5 scale Bajas too. But $1000 is just for the car. It'd probaly be more like $1500 by the time you're ready to go.

For instance, I'm not sure the $1000 price includes the mammoth steering servo.

Talking to an owner of one in the LHS, he said prepare for how loud they are and make sure you have a lot of space to run them in.

It would be nice to have such a big model because one could run it so much further away from oneself and still see it well.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:47 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the 1/5 scale Bajas too. But $1000 is just for the car. It'd probaly be more like $1500 by the time you're ready to go.

Talking to an owner of one in the LHS, he said prepare for how loud they are and make sure you have a lot of space to run them in.

It would be nice to have such a big model because one could run it so much further away from oneself and still see it well.
the $900 RTR(just looked at tower it came down some) includes the servo (looked the RTR says only needs batteries, a screwdriver, and gas)
The kit oddly costs the same as the RTR?

main thing holding me back is I would need to buy a new car to take it anywhere seeing its too big to fit in my back seat or trunk.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:21 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

Get a E-Revo brushless, and leave ALL nitro behind.
2 x 11.1 LIPO, goodnight nitro. Totally blow them for speed. Hump them for line take off pick up.
Lighter, stronger, less maintanence, more fun, no oily mess, more interesting than a nitro besause of bigger jumps it can pull, with the stronger chassis.
l now have 2 x E-Revos and a 1/16 vxl revo. All of them own.
 The 1/16th with LIPO can do around 100klm/h, like to see a standard nitro do that ......
The 1/10th is even faster ! But the 1/16th beats it to 60 klm/h !
Hell the 1/10th revo will pop wheelies at 80klm/h ! You gotta experience that, 20 years lve wanted a machine that can do that on command, its Brushless LIPO all the way !
Find an 80klm/h zone, race the cars and pop wheelies when you match there speed, lm telling you, some of the looks you get are of total astonishment, really quite humbling when you squirt it and leave them for dead !!!
80klm/h zones comming into most towns .
My savage flux is so uncontrollable at them high speeds, just buy a revo and forget the Flix !
Old 01-02-2010, 03:44 PM
MyMonkey

ORIGINAL: piddlefoot

Get a E-Revo brushless, and leave ALL nitro behind.
2 x 11.1 LIPO, goodnight nitro. Totally blow them for speed. Hump them for line take off pick up.
Lighter, stronger, less maintanence, more fun, no oily mess, more interesting than a nitro besause of bigger jumps it can pull, with the stronger chassis.
l now have 2 x E-Revos and a 1/16 vxl revo. All of them own.
The 1/16th with LIPO can do around 100klm/h, like to see a standard nitro do that ......
The 1/10th is even faster ! But the 1/16th beats it to 60 klm/h !
Hell the 1/10th revo will pop wheelies at 80klm/h ! You gotta experience that, 20 years lve wanted a machine that can do that on command, its Brushless LIPO all the way !
Find an 80klm/h zone, race the cars and pop wheelies when you match there speed, lm telling you, some of the looks you get are of total astonishment, really quite humbling when you squirt it and leave them for dead !!!
80klm/h zones comming into most towns .
My savage flux is so uncontrollable at them high speeds, just buy a revo and forget the Flix !

I have only owened one brushless setup and it was an RC18T with Mamba setup. Was FAST. However, I am curious. Do you have to let the motor cool between batteries? Or, how long can you run the brushless setup without worry of hurting the motor?
Old 01-02-2010, 05:48 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Get a savage flux and some lipo's. You don't have to let the motor cool before you run it again and brushless's last much longer than brushed.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:38 PM
kantfunkshin
My Feedback: (8)

With the $1000 budget I would suggest getting the Losi Ten-T and then maybe an elec or nitro ARR since the Losi 's DX3s is a 10 model memory all you would need is the receiver for other vehicles. Personally my next vehicle is going to be the TEN-T but not until it comes down a little in price then also get an elec truck maybe a SC.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:57 PM
MyMonkey

Sorry but what is an SC?
Old 01-02-2010, 09:16 PM
kantfunkshin
My Feedback: (8)

Short Course- Like the Associated SC10, HPI Blitz, Traxxas Slash, or Losi Strike. Thats just what Im thinking about getting or an elec stadium truck. Those were just my thoughts with a $1000 budget you could get the Ten-T and an elec and get the best of both worlds and kill 2 birds with 1 stone w/ Losi Ten-T's Spektrum radio systems capability of muti model memory.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:33 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

E-Revo is better for bashing in sticks , rocks because the battery compartment has no holes in the sides or bottom, the Flux does.
Revo has cooling vents built into the top. LIPO batteries are sealed.
You dont need to stop between runs anymore than a nitro one, the difference being you still have heaps more power.
Sand hills/dunes can overheat the system. But the Flux has the same system.....
There both mamba monster systems, pretty much the same voltages etc, E-Revo has the better chassis by far. It controls better, and is faster of the mark, jumps better and looks better !
Old 01-03-2010, 10:39 AM
MyMonkey

ORIGINAL: piddlefoot

E-Revo is better for bashing in sticks , rocks because the battery compartment has no holes in the sides or bottom, the Flux does.
Revo has cooling vents built into the top. LIPO batteries are sealed.
You dont need to stop between runs anymore than a nitro one, the difference being you still have heaps more power.
Sand hills/dunes can overheat the system. But the Flux has the same system.....
There both mamba monster systems, pretty much the same voltages etc, E-Revo has the better chassis by far. It controls better, and is faster of the mark, jumps better and looks better !

I remember when the Revo came out. Very impressive. Sortof a hybrid between the MT and Truggy.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Wild YFZ 450

Are you kidding me? A LST2 is 1000X more durable than a Revo, AE is just a race oriented company but they do have the MGT 8.0 which will compete.

Bajas are only as loud as you make them with the pipe that you put on them.

The bajas are pretty much RTR at 1000, you can pick them up for around 900 if not less and then just need to pay for gas and a screwdriver.

Yet again bajas are only as loud as you make them, It all depends on the pipe.

Honestly with a 1000 budget I would either get a Baja 5b or get a BL truggy. Since your looking at the 10-t, Why not just step it up to the 8ight-t its big brother and convert it to electric. It would be more durable than any MT and better handling than them. I think that would be your best bet.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Nate700

I would go for a RC8Te. It is more durable than a MT and handles 110% better.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:20 AM
bronx boy

if i had 1000 to spend for bashing arond i would get a few cars definitly a mt and a truggy look on stormer hobbies the hot bodies stadium pro rtr is 439.00 comes with all the godies also a mmgt 3.0 they go for 239.00 on tower site hey you can still get a ofna hyper 7 tq on nitrohouse for 269.00 now you can bash your freaking brains out with those three
Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

I vote savage flux.  Will have money left in budget for upgrades.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Jeremy Z

Another thought:

Get a $200 Traxxas Slash. Invest another $200 in top quality batteries and charger. Then, save the $600 and go racing. Gas for your real car to get to the tracks, entry fees, replacement parts, etc. That really seems like fun.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: MyMonkey
think the Traxxas Revo is promising. As well as the 8-T 2.0. This vehicle will be for bashing and my budget is around $1000 I suppose max. I need a durable easy to wrench RTR platform that can do it all really. Bash in the grass, dirt, very slim chance I will ever race this truck. I once raced the AE RC 10 GT and loved the T-Maxx I had. oh! Forgot to add that I like brushless technology and am not only limited to Nitro vehicles but do enjoy wrenching and the added element of sound.
I would stay away from things like the Losi Eight series, to you they are just going to end up as very expensive bashers. Save your money, get something basic like a 4wd slash (for dirt, not so much for grass) or an 8th scale monster truck like a Savage Flux or E-Revo if you're going to be running on the grass a lot.

Depending on where you live and where you want to run (ie. in a city vs. out in the country), nitro might be out of the question. Otherwise both are perfectly doable at this point in time.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Bigbangtheory

Another thought:

Get a $200 Traxxas Slash. Invest another $200 in top quality batteries and charger. Then, save the $600 and go racing. Gas for your real car to get to the tracks, entry fees, replacement parts, etc. That really seems like fun.

That would just make too much sense Jeremy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.