Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Need advice: MGT 4.6 or XTM XST ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:09 AM
TTMT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice: MGT 4.6 or XTM XST ??

What would be the most enjoyable to own, an Associated MGT 4.6 or an XTM XST Truggy? Both seem to be of very high quality and performance. I already own an E-Maxx 16.8v monster truck, so I'm leaning toward the XST.

Any input would be really appreciated.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:23 AM
IloveMYxt2

Default RE: Need advice: MGT 4.6 or XTM XST ??

I'm a fan of XTM and the XST is a good truggy and pretty durable. The engine isnt all that (as in speed but its a durable engine) and the stock servos will go out on you, but its not like its a 500 dollar RC.

If you already have a monster truck, go with the truggy. Its a better jumper and it handles way better.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:25 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a new MT consider the LST XXL and Savage XL too, they're good.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:00 PM
TTMT

Thanks.  I can buy an MGT new for $349 - which is my budget limit - so I don't think I can consider the models you mentioned (too expensive).  Thanks again, though.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:08 PM
TTMT

ORIGINAL: IloveMYxt2

I'm a fan of XTM and the XST is a good truggy and pretty durable. The engine isnt all that (as in speed but its a durable engine) and the stock servos will go out on you, but its not like its a 500 dollar RC.

If you already have a monster truck, go with the truggy. Its a better jumper and it handles way better.
Thanks for the input. The XST looks very well built and, for the money $200 new on sale at Hobby People, it comes with big-bore aluminum shocks, twin disk brakes and really sturdy looking chassis.

I've seen videos of an XST and it really does jump well. Looks pretty fast to me, but you're not so thrilled with the speed? Are the servos plastic geared? Would you say you're pretty tough on your model or the servos just aren't so hot?

Did you follow the instructions on the engine break-in- does it take may tanks of fuel? What fuel are you running your XST with?

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:27 PM
IloveMYxt2

I dont have an XST my self but have seen them. The 24.7 motor is a durable motor, just not the fastest. The servos are plastic but you have to remember this is a RTR and marked at a very good price so your not getting metal geared JR racing servos.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Yellow355F1

I can attest to both I have a friend with the XST and I own 2 MGT's 1 has an XTM 24.7 they have high reliability motors. The monster GT is a good all around basher out of the box. It can be tuned to handle simularly to a truggy but still a little top heavy. The XST can take jumps like a champ and for the price you cant beat it. I have to say being I have a 4.6 powered GT and an XTM powered one the XTM out performs my stock GT. All I have on the 24.7 is a oversized cooling head It was never run instock form so I have no idea how it ran with the stock head. Bottom line both are good trucks and it comes to the one that catches your intrest the most. There have been no major issues with either truck so far. I have only broken 1 A arm and a motor mount on my MGT. The XST only had to have a motor mount but, only because he kept changing gear ratios I guess he overtightened the screws putting the engine back on.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:38 PM
TTMT

Thanks to both of you guys !  I sure appreciate the input.  Both trucks sound great.

I find the shear size and weight of the MGT appealing, but I have a new E-Maxx 16.8v, and it's really nice, and pretty large.  I'm leaning toward the XTM truggy so I'll have a racing-oriented truck, and a basher with my E-Maxx.

Maybe I can look at the MGT next year when I have a new budget.

Thanks a lot for the detailed replies.  They're really helpful.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:46 PM
mrsmartjohnson

ORIGINAL: TTMT

Thanks. I can buy an MGT new for $349 - which is my budget limit - so I don't think I can consider the models you mentioned (too expensive). Thanks again, though.
For $400 shipped you can buy a Cen racing genesis 7.7 GST with 3 speed tranny and a 5HP engine that has a free lifetime replacement warranty and is also a RTR package!! very well built and solid reviews so far!!!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:30 PM
TTMT

Thanks for the info. That's a pretty impressive package.I'd be concerned aboutfinding parts for a Cen, though. Associated parts are everywhere, and they're inexpensive.

I appreciate the input.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:45 PM
TTMT

By the way, guys, I bought the XTM 4x4 truggy.  I'm very impressed with it.  I bought it on sale at Hobby People for $199.99.  It came RTR with a thick aluminum chassis, large, aluminum threaded shocks, two disk brakes (front & rear), steel drive shafts and turn buckles, rear torsion bar, bearings, a .247 big block engine with tuned pipe, metal geared steering servo and beefy composite parts throughout.  The radio system wasn't bad, an Airtronics FM system with a screen display, but I upgraded it to my Airtronics MX-3FG 2.4 system.

I'm almost done breaking-in the engine.  So far, I'm really happy with the performance.  It has a lot of power and is very responsive.  The pull start system works well too.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:30 PM
IloveMYxt2

Good choice. Keep us updated with the truggy and how it does and how holds up.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:47 AM
TTMT

Will do.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:15 PM
mrsmartjohnson

Thanks for the info. That's a pretty impressive package.I'd be concerned aboutfinding parts for a Cen, though. Associated parts are everywhere, and they're inexpensive.

I appreciate the input.
The parts for Cen racing products, partsare no harder to find than the XTM ones are! Quality and components on the Cen racing are way better if you compare! I also just seen the new Cenracing matrix TR Arena truggy RTR kit, wow has great reviews and is faster than the Losi Eight-T 2.0!!! One just sold on Ebay NIB RTR for $299 plus shipping, unbelievable!!! Don't confuse it with the older matrix truggy, not the same and it is not a updated version either, it is brand new design built by national championship racers for cen racing with some cool ne ideas and braces! it has a really godd review at RC Driver magazine!!!! Can't go wrong for it's price and it is 1/8 scale truggy meant to race and bash!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 04:49 PM
TTMT

Sounds very good. I get RC Driver, so I'll look for the review.

I'm pretty happy with my decision on the XTM XST Truggy. I've been around rc racing for a long time and I'm very impressed with the quality. The composite plastics are thick and I expect will prove to be very durable. The aluminum and steel parts are very beefy and finely finished. In fact, certain key steel parts are chromed, which is a very nice touch. The XST has 5mm thick aluminum braces for each shock tower. They extend down to the heavy aluminum chassis and make the model very solid.

The fit and finish of all the parts is excellent and the instructions are very well written with clear photos of each step. In my opinion, I made an excellent purchase (on sale) for $199.99 RTR. As I mentioned, even the radio is a name-brand Airtronics. It's FM, but it is a nice unit with a digital display. I've upgraded it to my 2.4GHz Airtronics system, so I haven't even used the radio or receiver that came with the model.

By the way, which month of RC Driver should I look at for the Cen review?
Old 02-22-2010, 05:29 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: mrsmartjohnson

For $400 shipped you can buy a Cen racing genesis 7.7 GST with 3 speed tranny and a 5HP engine that has a free lifetime replacement warranty and is also a RTR package!! very well built and solid reviews so far!!!
where?
Old 02-22-2010, 06:39 PM
mrsmartjohnson

ORIGINAL: fourwheels0

ORIGINAL: mrsmartjohnson

where?
Right here on ebay plus you can earn some bonus bucks doing so!! http://cgi.ebay.com/CEN-Racing-GST-7...item4a9eb14af3
There was another guy I was going to suggest, but we had a falling out, so i wouldn't recommend his store anymore!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 PM
mrsmartjohnson

Sounds very good. I get RC Driver, so I'll look for the review.

By the way, which month of RC Driver should I look at for the Cen review?
Sorry, I think it was RC Car Action instead for the GST 7.7 RTR that I seen and I believe it was RC Driver for the Matrix TR Arean RTR that I read! Either way both are impressive and @ ROAR the GST 7.7 was the only monster truck that didn't break! The link for the magazine review is off of cen racing website and I have it for you!!
http://www.cenracing.com/cars/gst/gst.html
and here is info on cen racing Matrix TR Arena 1/8 scale truggy:http://www.cenracing.com/area51/51_truggy.htmllet me know if you need anything else! I wanted to buy the GST7.7 myself but LHS talked me out of it because he didn't stock parts for it, but i believe I am going to sell my LST with SH.28MP3 motor in it and buy the GST 7.7 it is awesome big truck and BEEFYTOO!!!

Also they have a guaranteed parts in stock or it's free, once again ubelievable as they are trying to be number one, it just takes time!! You see why I am so excited about cenracing, lifetime engine replacement plus guaranteed parts or it's free if it;s not in stock, etc, etc!!! Check this out if you don't believe me!! http://www.cenracing.com/dealerpage.html
Old 02-22-2010, 08:15 PM
fourwheels0

thats $469 buy it now not $399 shipped.
you'd be better off upgrading your lst to lst2 standards than getting the cen.
the cen 5hp motor is all hype. i've seen these cen trucks too many times in the shops for repairs and they do not hold up anywhere near the beating my lst2 takes.
i saw a gst 7.7 for sale today for $200 on c/l.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:27 PM
TTMT

I'll take a look at the links. Thanks.

Ithink it's tough to beat an MGT 4.6SE for $349.99 RTR. Also, I'm very comfortable with Associated. They've been around for so long, and I still have my original RC10. It's in great shape - converted long ago to a stadium truck using Associated conversion kit. The MGT offers two speeds in forward and reverse. I've read criticism about the metal gears and the reverse, but it fits the type of use I want the truck for - just fun bashing and maybe some racing around a track once in awhile.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:42 PM
TTMT

I took a look at the Cen GST 7.7 RTR.  The truck looks pretty impressive.  I have a few thoughts that strike me about it though.  Personally, I'd prefer the higher profile tires on the MGT 4.6.  I think added flotation is an advantage on a monster truck, helping to absorb impact.  The shot of the interior chassis looked fairly cramped to me, with minimal space between and around the equipment.  The speed is about the same as the MGT at 40+, so it  seems to me that you would be going through fuel at a greater rate with the huge engine; just something to consider.

I guess it comes down to individual preference.  For me, the ability to find Associated parts everywhere is pretty important.  Plus, I've looked down the list of parts for the MGT and most of them are reasonably priced.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:42 PM
mrsmartjohnson

There is plenty of room on the GST 7.7 to wrench and i think the reason it looks tight is because of the high side rails(similar to HPI Savage)that they use to protect evrything instead of using a double stacked chasis like Losi uses! Also it doesn't break, it was only truck to finish ROAR without breaking!!! Compaing it to my Losi LST which is way better than MGT or HPI savage,the GST 7.7 dwarfs all of them in comparison and it's axles, hubs, everything else are huge in comparison. The 5HP engine provides more torque so it doesn't work as hard as the smaller 4.6 engines,andit has a 3 speed transmissionand it is available in 3 speed revers too, so i beleive fuel will be really close! The 7.7 GST is no light weight though I beleive it to be around 16lbs and it flies great and handle big jumps awesomely! i have seen several videos with people bashing hard end over end 10 plus times and it keeps going! I also own a Losi Ten-t that has a Spektrum DX3S radio and is capable of holding 10 models so I am currently thinking about getting one and selling the stock radio and receiver and buying a spektrum 3100T receiver and can use my awesome radio with telemtry on it!!! But I need someone to buy a brand new Losi aftershock that has LST upgrades on it as well as a SH .28 MP3 engine way more than stock or even the Losi 454 offers! It has JR racing radio with 3 year gurantee also that I will sell for $400 OBO, everything is new and I onll put 1 tank in it so far starting to break it in!!! I like the GST 7.7 that much to sell one of my favorite 1/8 scale MT to get one. I used to like HPI savage 4.6 SS, but everything breaks on them and you have to upgrade everything on them to make them reliable, so that isn't a option and they aren't as good as my Losi MT anyway! The Mgt 4.6 components are way smaller than Losi and even more so than the GST 7.7 The only complaint i see possibly on the GST 7.7 is the ugly body (IMHO)!!! I thought about putting a cool pearl white bug body on it with flames!!! Will have to wait and see if I keep the Losi first or not as it hasn't been broken in yet, Cen racing says they guarantee parts will be in a hobby shop within 30 miles of anybody or the part is free anyway! there are several LHS that stock cen racing RC's mostly the same ones that stock XTM that I have found locally and there are over 20 hobby shops within a 15 mile radius of me!

P.s. Also ther is over 5 inches of suspension travel, so the lower profile tires don't hurt anything!! They are over 7.5" tall too and if they made them higher profile it wouldn't handle and it has over 4" of ground clearance this way! To be able to go over 40 MPH with this 17 lb MT is simply amazing if you think about the inertia it takes, and if you want more power and aren't afraid of a little more noise, they claim you can take the baffle out of the tuned pipe as it is a 2 piece and says incredible gains are experienced! i just noticed they said receiver box is sealed too (very unusual in this class)!!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:02 PM
fourwheels0

oh ok you have an aftershock with lst upgrades nevermind then sell it.
i'll still take my lst2 over ANY other mt out there.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 PM
mrsmartjohnson

ORIGINAL: fourwheels0

oh ok you have an aftershock with lst upgrades nevermind then sell it.
i'll still take my lst2 over ANY other mt out there.
I have the LST2 clutchbell and gear cover and LST2 clutchshoes also! It is way faster than any LST, LST2, or LSTXXL will be especially with Forward only and I just found out about switching the gears around for more speed too!!! I am going to do the LST2 upgrade kit also for $109 on overdriverc.com if I decide to keep it. My bodyis the best looking though of all MT's IMHO and I cut out the ram air scoop with a dremel to make it a real functioning hood sccop and it looks awesome that way!
I think $400 would be a great price for it, wouldn't you think!!! I will definately buy the GST 7.7 cause it is mean and a terror out bashing as i have seen it doing mamzing things in person!! i would just sell the stock transmitter and receiver and go with a spektrum 3100T so i can use my Spektrum DX3S radio on it!!!! They are making some really cool aftermarket pieces fo the GST 7.7 now too! i think with my Spektrum DX3S radio and the GST 7.7 it will be Bad *****!!!!!! i will take that combo any day over the LOSIXXL which is by far greater than the LST2! IMHO!! Anyway here are some pics of the Aftershock SS for $400 OBO!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vt57228.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	1384981   Click image for larger version

Name:	xs59699.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	1384982   Click image for larger version

Name:	gl19473.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	1384983   Click image for larger version

Name:	un34641.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	1384984   Click image for larger version

Name:	fq90562.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	1384985  
Old 02-23-2010, 01:19 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

To the original poster:

Glad you are happy with your truggy. I got my XTM XT2 1/8 nitro buggy used a while back and it is truely an awesome basher. So much fun to just take out and run and its really easy to tune too. It has the same engine as your truggy, and is plenty fast. A lot of people dont like XTM, but my buggy is an absolute TANK. It has a very similar chassis to the XST truggy you bought and also has the 5mm chassis braces, and they are very nice and the chassis is extremely sturdy. I wasnt paying attention one day, and I ran the buggy into my real truck's tire going about 20mph. It hit dead on the front right wheel of my buggy and it just bounced off. I was very impressed because this buggy weighs about 8lbs which is probably the heaviest buggy out there. I think the weight comes from the quality aluminum parts, and the thick plastic parts. Also, so far i really like the servo's and FM radio on mine. Both the servo's are really strong and the radio works good so far for me. [8D]

Here is a video of my buggy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NklJ_kL5uNA

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71796.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	1385027  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.