Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

The Combat Wolverine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

The Combat Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 10:39 AM
WolverineRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Combat Wolverine

The Combat Wolverine

I am in the process of designing a combat plane for limited production.

What are your Favorite combat plane Features?

What would you like to see in a combat plane?
Old 01-24-2004, 11:09 AM
stdun

Default RE: The Combat Wolverine

If you don't survive, you don't win. It has to be able to survive mid-airs. Also wide wings, in the 6' range. Easy to repair and repairable to start with. Fast always helps.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:51 PM
thojo

1) The more modular the design the better. Being able to field repair is extremely important. Replacable engine mounts, wings, tail feathers helps speed up repairs between rounds.

2) Protection for rx, battery, servos and fuel tanks. The more that is protected, the less damage suffered during mid-airs and the more likely you'll survive a mid-air to keep flying in the round.

3) In SSC, wingspans over 60" decrease your roll rate, in Open B, the speeds are higher and wingspan isn't is much of a factor.

4) Large vertical stabs to decrease yaw problems when streamers get caught on the ends of the wings..

5) Keep exotic parts out of the kit. If it can't be bought at home depot, leave it out... Most people cannot afford to buy alot of kits for combat. They will buy one, then reproduce it to build their fleets...
Old 01-24-2004, 09:42 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI WOLVERINE! BELLINGHAMs not that far away. Any chance you would like to do some streamer chasing? I haven't flown any rulebook RC combat, I mostly fly 1/2A around here with .061s. The action is slower, closer, and less damaging when they hit. I'm also geared up to fly SSC this year. The points THOJO made make a lot of sense. I think the engine mount should only be strong enough to support the engine for vibration free runs, but able to snap away cleanly when the model goes straight in. The other thing would be as low a parts count as possible. Last but not least, the planes that can haul around the most wing span will be better at collecting streamers than a plane with less span. The guys at the top of the AMA food chain all had planes with lots of span.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:55 PM
WolverineRC

Hey guys

Thanks For the input,

do you prefer elevon servos mounted in the wing or in the fuse?

Pink Or white foam for the wing cores?

COMBATPIGG:

I'm sure I can get a couple people together for a little fun, However I must warn you, We play rough. we have been flying mostly Gremlins with 25's on them. and have gone through a lot of them.

When do you usually fly combat???
Old 01-26-2004, 02:39 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI WOLVERINE! I've got SEVERAL good running .061 set ups,RTF, and would like to know if you and a couple of buddies are interested in some "little fun". You might be surprised! I can do the .25 style JOUSTING also, but IMHO the action is too high speed and out of control to be much more than a demolition derby. I also have flown AMA C/L COMBAT, [for 18 years] so I'm familiar with 20 second life expectancy planes. For my money, I get more out of events that limit the speed, because the quality of the DOG FIGHTING is better. Not many guys can afford the time, money, and effort it takes to fly club combat on a consistant basis. That's why there are more lookyloos and wannabes than there are DOERS, and participants. That's why I have been promoting 1/2A combat, because the investment in time and money is minimal, and it will still keep you sharp for RULE BOOK COMBAT! Very rarely is one of these planes damaged to the point where they can't be fixed on the spot with some glue and tape. They can haul 30' of streamer good, and your buddies' streamer as well[almost as well]. Let's get together some time[anytime] and do both.25, and 1/2A! BRING IT ON![>:]!!
Old 01-26-2004, 03:51 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Survivability says... package the radio in a tight group so there aren't long servo leads that can be hit and ripped out of the RX or servo. (those old 3 ch systems that had the RX, and 3 servos built into one case in the mid 1970's would be ideal on this issue. Just a battery lead.)

If you have a 3 inch lead beteen RX and servo a wing is eventually going to snag it. (usually meaning you had wing sawed off in the mid-air... but its a pain soldering back in a servo lead)

There will never be 100% protection fr any part of a combat plane... and excess armor is just weight to make you slow (and therefore a target)