Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Drift Cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 10:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drift Cars

Anyone try one?

Old 05-20-2004, 11:32 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Drift Cars

i dont think so there to expensive. for what you get my as well get a tc3 or a losi cheaper and easier to find parts for but damn does that silvia looks sweet. thought of getting one but to much.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:48 PM

how much are they anyways?
Old 05-20-2004, 11:53 PM

$199.99 at http://www.ultimatehobbies.com//l113.html
Old 05-21-2004, 08:33 AM

I'm using a TT-01! It works perfectly. It is the most neutral car I've used for drifting so far. I also have tried the Losi XXX-s but I would rather use my crappier car for something like that. Any inline battery layout car should probably work very well.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:24 AM

I have a Team Associated NTC3 beater which is fairly stock which I am going to be retrofitting for Drifting, I will post some pix here as soon as I start this weekend. Aww poop gotta ditch the two speed I guess.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:42 PM

The yokomo drift car is just the yokomo mr4-tc electric 4wd touring car with the drift tires, "disk brake" looking hubs, wheels to fit the hubs, and a more detailed body. Each of those parts can be had separately to make your car work exactly the same way. All you really need is the tires, and you don't really even need that, go spend $10 on 2" ABS pipe and make your own drift tires. The bodies have no benefit except that they look like the popular drift cars (S15 silvia, S13 180SX (240SX hatchback here in the US), and AE86 Corolla).

I'm not bashing it, its cool they made this stuff, but I am saying that if you want an electric drift car, buy a used TC3 and throw some ABS on the wheels and yer set, and you have a car that, with touring tires, could be highly competitive if you wanted to race it. You can also get associated TC3 parts at nearly any hobby store, which is more than I can say for yokomo.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:49 PM

There is a great review of the Yokomo in the June issue of R/C Car. From the review it does seem like a nice niche car for somebody who just wants to drift out of the box and does not know how to. The tires seems to be of a nice design as there are two grooves in the tires where plastic rings are installed to facilitate the tire spinning goodness. If anything the lexan bodies are very nicely done. Definitely for those that already have a 1/10 racer and extra cash lying around.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:47 PM

ORIGINAL: WhiskyVR-4
Each of those parts can be had separately to make your car work exactly the same way. . . buy a used TC3 and throw some ABS on the wheels and yer set, and you have a car that, with touring tires, could be highly competitive if you wanted to race it. You can also get associated TC3 parts at nearly any hobby store, which is more than I can say for yokomo.
I looked at the parts listing at Yokomo USA too. I also own a Yokomo YRX-12WE which lists lots of "Associated" parts as replacement parts except for the silver surface graphite chassis. However, it still appears that the answer to my original question is "NO" and quite frankly, I don't want to use "pipe" as tires.

ORIGINAL: BovineD
There is a great review of the Yokomo in the June issue of R/C Car. From the review it does seem like a nice niche car for somebody who just wants to drift out of the box and does not know how to. The tires seems to be of a nice design as there are two grooves in the tires where plastic rings are installed to facilitate the tire spinning goodness. If anything the lexan bodies are very nicely done. Definitely for those that already have a 1/10 racer and extra cash lying around.
Thanks for the information BovineD--I actually do have a Losi XXX-S lying around that I've only driven twice. For your information, here is another link I found at YokomoUSA: http://www.usdrift.com
Old 05-27-2004, 02:57 PM

Wow $200 really isn't that bad compared to some other prices ive seen.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the information BovineD--I actually do have a Losi XXX-S lying around that I've only driven twice. For your information, here is another link I found at YokomoUSA: http://www.usdrift.com
Thanks TNB, I will check it out. Man, you have an XXX-S just "laying around"? Sucks to have that much disposable income TNB. You have any kids???
Old 05-27-2004, 06:05 PM

I only have two hairy kids and still have to borrow the OL and track. Actually, most of my R/Cs sit around since I got into Mini-Zs. I probably out to take some of the others out for a spin too, but some guys are coming down from LA this weekend so it will be Z-time once again.

Edit: BTW, one of the locals is heading your way--he's going to San Jose and wants to run Mini-Zs. However, the last I knew his wife didn't want him taking any Zs along.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Blkopz

I have a Team Associated NTC3 beater which is fairly stock which I am going to be retrofitting for Drifting, I will post some pix here as soon as I start this weekend. Aww poop gotta ditch the two speed I guess.

you could just tighten the 2 speed clutch as a quick fix
Old 06-03-2004, 01:11 AM

why would you need to do that? I've found that A) my two speed doesn't make it harder to drift, and B) if I time it right, the two speed does a good job of kicking the car around, similar to "clutch-kicking" in my 1:1 drift car.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:00 AM

is a hpi super size car good to be a drifter becouse i am planing of buying one
Old 06-11-2004, 09:14 PM

whats with the smoke from the back tires how do you do that???
Old 06-15-2004, 03:59 PM

Who needs to spend 200 bucks, get on ebay, you could pick up a TC3 for 100, don't buy new dude it's not necessary because RC Drifting is about skill and a good looking lid, not a race against time and bang to the second latest gotta have racing accessory

There's a wad of Drifters using old Tamiya's and they swear by them

The wheels invented dude, save your money and enjoy the Drifting