Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Subaru Impreza WRC 1/10 Bycmo

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 05:32 PM
john j m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Subaru Impreza WRC 1/10 Bycmo

HEHE, NO I DONT
But even if YOU'RE not happy with it, I still think it's a good idea.

This particular car may not be much to speek of, what I'm intrigued by is THE CONCEPT. What a brilliant marketing idea!
Ok, I got curious and checked out the Bycmo.com webpage. Quite frankly I think those cars were ..........basic.

BUT, is the mag any good???

< Message edited by Karl the Mechan -- 10/2/2004 1:32:16 PM >

Hi Karl,
Remember you from way back, now I am convinced that you either work for Bycmo or Agostini you can’t be serious ! If you could see this primitive excuse for a model car and had experienced the total lack of back up from the suppliers you would see where we are coming from. Remember we were all total novices, the advertising looked good we were taken in, but it is now over a year on, I have joined the local R C C Club and have associated with many guys in the model trade all of whom agree that we have had a bad deal. And I cannot agree that all manufacturers make exaggerated claims about their models as you suggest.
But perhaps you know differently can you name a manufacturer who makes such claims ?
JOHN
Old 11-04-2004, 04:21 PM
BigMax

Hi
I was looking information about the agostini collection and i found this forum. The radio control collection arrived to Poland, i ordered subsciption, but now i see that was bad idea. That agostini publish some upgrade issue ?? Maybe agostini learn something in england and australia and maybe parts from collection in poland will be higher quality ( i hope so )[]
Old 11-04-2004, 05:14 PM
rfoley

Hi,

Just out of interest, when the series was advertised in Poland did they say anything about the performance of the car. Did the ads say it had a top speed of 60 kph ?.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:08 AM
richardneail

Hi guys,

Just want to say thanks for all your help you have saved me a lot of money. I had purchased some of the series when it first came out and a few weeks ago I decided I was going to finish the car. While searching for details on its availability I came across your posts and decided to give it a miss.

I am now looking at going racing with a 1/5th car such as the FG modellsport Mclaren GTR this being petrol too (bit of a change !! ), by the time I added up all the bits I would have needed for the Bycmo car including the cost of getting all the issues I dont already have, 30 somthing in total the FG car wont cost me much more. ( I wasnt thinking of racing the bycmo car !! LOL).

It's annoying for me to read all the probs you guys are having deag really do suck when I first had my mags I tried to setup a DD to pay for it each month and they couldnt get it right so I gave up in the end, I think one of there major probs is they just have to many collections instead of sticking to a few and giving good customer service on them.

Anyway thanks again for your help although it doesnt help any of you with your problems.

To anyone thinking of getting it then I say forget it, it's not a cheap way to get a car and the mag isnt worth it, if you are reading this then you have got the internet and you are better off doing a bit of searching on here and finding out the information yourself.

If you want a car look at some web sites there are plenty to choose and they have great deals on which are far cheaper than this and a lot lot better quality.

If you are in the UK then try here www.modelsinmotion.co.uk or here www.modelsport.co.uk these sites have some great offers on tamiya stuff which is much much better than the bycmo car and u can get parts for them from almost any model shop.

Richard
Old 11-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Revs

Its a real shame that you get introduced to such a great hobby this way. I can only hope that no one after you guys ends up with one of these "cars" because frankly from the sound of it they are not up to scratch. Idoubt you will see any money back from them, just some replacement parts if you are lucky.
If you havent been put of by the whole idea, i sugest a new tamiya model as an x mass present, the car will be much nicer to build and run+ it will be a hell of a lot faster than your curent "car".
Tom
Old 11-06-2004, 07:59 AM
BigMax

Hi
Yes rfoley the ads say it had a top speed up to 60 kph, but i know now that is a bull****.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:51 AM
john j m

Hi Richard,
Pleased to see that this thread has saved you some money [and a lot of frustration] it’s good to see that it is achieving it’s objective in a small way at least.
Hmmm, the Mc laren F1 GTR Econ 2 that is some model car! But at £574.00 it’s in a totally different class to the Bycmo 1/10 electric, which makes me think that perhaps you were building the nitro version.
However whatever your kit was I am sure that if it was from “Ago”you were getting all the grief that goes with the territory, and if we have saved you from further problems that feels good.
John.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:56 PM
richardneail

John,

No I was building the subaru but I have decided to go for petrol now instead of electric. There is a place in london that I can get the Mclaren F1 GTR Econ for ÂŁ414.00.

If anyone is interested then I have the first 20 issues of the mag and the parts that came with it including a diff, if anyone wants it for spares then let me know.

Rich
Old 11-08-2004, 04:16 AM
john j m

Rich,
An advertisment in the free adds section of "Radio Control Racer Magazine" on sale at good news agents @ ÂŁ2.95 see, www.rcracer.com may be the answer to the disposal of your unwanted mags and parts, it must be worth a try and the magazine is a good read.
JOHN
Old 11-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Karl the Mechan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Dear john" (j m)

Which part of "no I don't" did you not understand? Ok, it's a free world, believe what you want. But if you mean that liking a particular marketing concept and not joining the whining chorus qualifies to "must be a Bycmo employee", well, fine by me. [8D]

Oh yes I'm serious, I think the marketing concept was brilliant. Never mind that it was performed by a shady (?) company with mediocre products, this concept can be applied elsewhere!

"-And I cannot agree that all manufacturers make exaggerated claims about their models"

You haven't been watching the telly much, have you? Try the inbetween-programs ads on childrens channel. Tyco, Nikko, etc...
And read a Kyosho brochure, then try some of their less costly products... [:'(]

Anyway, good luck on your hobby!
Old 11-09-2004, 12:21 PM
john j m

Karl,
Thank you for your input to the thread, unfortunately it reads as somewhat sarcastic I am at a loss to understand why you have chosen to adopt this attitude as I have not been intentionally impolite to you, however perhaps it is simply something in the translation from Norwegian to English that makes it read this way I hope so, as I have no real wish to foster poor relations with you or indeed anyone on this board.
However I am pleased that the thread has brought to your attention this brilliant marketing concept as you describe it, and I hope that you can apply it in your business career. It certainly would be an awesome enterprise to set up, a prime time television advertising campaign, a World wide distribution network, all that and a capable complains department.
You are correct in your assumption that I do not watch children’s television, why on earth should I, and therefor I have no idea what is advertised in the commercial slots, I have however perused the Kyosho brochure as you suggested, they seem to concentrate on the mini z category, personally I do not find that class interesting. But none of the models seem to be particularly expensive, certainly none approaching the £275 outlay for a Bycmo therefor making it difficult to draw a comparison.
Best Wishes,
John
Old 11-09-2004, 05:54 PM
Karl the Mechan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OI! No hard feelings mate!

I was actually rather amused by your "accusations" but had to clear up that I've got no relations to err, Bycmo. And I do feel it's sad that so many guys got a bad start in this hobby.

That particular marketing concept can be twisted and adopted in many ways, and I was perhaps thinking in a smaller scale...
You see, I used to work with advertising. Don't anymore but who knows, maybe one day I'm back in that business.
I told you I wasn't a Bycmo employee but I do actually work in the "hobby business". I work in a shop selling Tamiya, HPI, and Kyosho among many other products. So you were partly right but got the company wrong

Why watch children’s television???
Because one has children and avoiding to get a glimpse of an ad is very hard

Dont like Mini-Z's you say? All I can say is you miss out! I've got three. An F1, an Overland, and a Monster.
Driving the F1 really hones the driving skills

Cheers!
Old 11-10-2004, 12:57 PM
steve_b9

hi every1
got another diff today
does any one still need one i could sell it for ÂŁ5 including p&p
Old 11-29-2004, 12:27 PM
andrewgaskell

hi guys i got suckerd into buying the car aswell,the diff broke within 10 mins. Deagostini wouldnt do anything for me because i didnt have an account with them as i orderd through my newsagent, so for 7 months the car was on the side gathering dust i decided to contact trading standards they explained that i couldnt do a thing all i could do was go through the people that orderd the magazine for me i phoned them up and they contacted Deagostini and got me a phone number for deagostinis engineer he sent me another diff and guess what did exactly the same so i phoned him again he sent another that broke aswell i took the first differential i had got for the car opened it and put a black washer that came in late issues not the silver ones inside(take everthing out when opened)under the part that comes through to the outside when closed and put it back in and it has never worked better my next door neighbour has the car with the same problem so i did the same with one of the other diffs for him and it made a grinding noise swapped the washer to the other side and his works better than ever aswell REMEMBER ONLY 1 BLACK WASHER AND IT DOES MATTER WHAT SIDE PUT THE DIFF IN THE CAR AND TRY IT IF IT GRINDS SWAP THE WASHER TO THE OTHER SIDE... DONT KEEP USING IF GRINDING SWAP THE WASHER TO THE OTHER SIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE SUCCESFULLY FIXED 2 DIFFERENTIALS THAT HAD BROKE
Old 11-30-2004, 12:22 PM
steve_b9

hi
thanks for the advice thats realy good thinking
it sounds like they sent you the old differentials
the new ones have extra bits of plastic in them to do the equivelent of what your washer does. i wish i had thought of that. it would have been alot less trouble.
these new differentials seem to be holding up quite well at the moment.
bye
Old 11-30-2004, 05:37 PM
andrewgaskell

talk about crap parts speed controler has gone taken car to shop and getting rid of that rubbish and getting a decent one only thing is no reverse but suppose i will get use to it also a 20 turn motor guy in shop said it should add about 10-15 mph and some decent wheels with decent tyres on because the wheels i got with the car split where the tyre gets glued in....OH almost forgot tried getting a refund off deagostini by sending them a letter got a letter back sorry we will not be giving a refund at this time as the car is TESTED AND ROBUST talk about cheeky eh so i will let u guys know how things go ill probably take it out when i get it back and something else will break lol and its added another 70 pound to the cost of the car GIRLFRIEND WAS NOT PLEASED now it has cost me 320 pound alltogether it had better work f*****g brilliant
Old 12-01-2004, 10:55 AM
steve_b9

hi andrew
weve had the same problems as you have. what speed controller have you got and how much did it cost.
ive got a nosram international which has no reverse but can go down to a 13turn motor which cost about ÂŁ35. for christmas im getting an 18turn double motor for about ÂŁ15. let us know how the car performs. and have you got the metal bearings or the plastic ones.
bye
Old 12-03-2004, 07:57 AM
andrewgaskell

hi just got car back seems to be working better than it ever has the speed controler is a rc line sp-fs30 cant test it properly because its raining(would be when i get car back)ive got metal bearings on back and plastic on front its a bit weird not having reverse but with how it seems to be performing i am happy with the car again for the first time in about 12 month so when it stops raining i will give it a proper test run and let u know how it is

CHECK OUT MY CAR PICS!!!!!!!!!!

oh yes speed controler cost about ÂŁ25
Old 12-04-2004, 05:15 AM
mad mark

finally received my diff off deag .took car out smashed another body,got 1 left so i have reinforced it with duck tape inside
Old 12-04-2004, 05:42 AM
john j m

Guys,
I need help the plastic crown gear and drive pinion has disintegrated. I just know that I set it all up ok, you know used the tissue paper to make sure that the gears were not meshing to tight or not tight enough. But now half the teeth on the crown have gone and the pinion looks all chewed up. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a better gear system available? I feel like Gronholm when he said, “I am fed up with this car” during the rally of Great Britain.
JOHN
[]
Old 12-04-2004, 01:40 PM
andrewgaskell

well guys im really dissapointed now as i took the car out with my nextdoor neighbour hes still got all parts of deagostini apart from the diff which i fixed and his car blew my car away i was gutted proper i even set off a bit sooner than him then all of a sudden see me later he was gone the only thing i can think of is the new speed controler needs setting up to my reciever as i never left mine with the shop and he had to use another one so i will take the car and reciever this time and see if he will set it up for me and also when the car gets about 10 metres away it just jumps to the side hit kerb about 5 time lucky not much damage only to the shell

will let u know how it goes
Old 12-05-2004, 09:48 AM
john j m

ORIGINAL: andrewgaskell

when the car gets about 10 metres away it just jumps to the side hit kerb about 5 time lucky not much damage only to the shell

will let u know how it goes

Just a thought, is your next door neighbour using the same crystals in his reciver / transmitter as you? that could account for why your car goes out of control.

John. [8D]
Old 12-05-2004, 11:41 PM
rfoley

Hi Andrew,

Good to hear that the diff is working better. Can you tell me exactly which part you replaced. Is it part 20-2 , the white plastic bearing in the diff. And also which part did you replace it with. You say that you replaced it with a part that can in a latter issue.

Thanks
Rodney
Old 12-06-2004, 11:18 AM
john j m

[quote]ORIGINAL: rfoley

Hi Andrew,

Good to hear that the diff is working better. Can you tell me exactly which part you replaced. Is it part 20-2 , the white plastic bearing in the diff. And also which part did you replace it with. You say that you replaced it with a part that can in a latter issue.

Hi Rodney,
Like you I am not to clear about what parts Andrew is referring to, it seems to me that perhaps you are getting the gear housing confused with the actual differential as the parts that you mention i.e. 20-2 is one of two plastic bearings the other being 21-2 that the differential itself runs in.

These two bearing along with the bush part No 20-3 that is the bearing for the primary pinion can be replaced with upgraded ball raced bearing, and is well worth doing.

Getting back to Andrews modification, it is posible that the washers he refers to are the shim washers that were supplied to compensate for any excess play in the wheel bearings, and if this is the case I am not clear about where he used them within the differential casing or for what purpose. So Andrew if you feel like writing some more about it I am sure that we would all like to read it.

Incidentally Rodney, my first differential failed after about three hours total flat out running time, when it was stripped down the satellite and planetary gears were found to be so distorted that they could no longer mesh, I assumed that this was caused by some form of metal fatigue, the replacement differential has not yet had three hours running but I intend to strip it after that time to examine the condition of the gears.

John. [8D]
Old 12-07-2004, 06:43 PM
halbrain

I am also interested in correcting any assembly problems, any information on suggested changes to the assembly woulg be appreciated. I am still at issue 34 awaiting 35- 38.
I thought this would be a good project to work on with my son. I must admit I have been concerned about the quality especially the freeplay in the wheel /axle assemblies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.