Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Rustler Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 12:34 PM
FairTax4me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Rustler Thread

If they're 48 pitch gears for a 1/8" or 3mm shaft then they'll work.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:26 PM
joeyhatch11

Someone please help. Father-in-law just bought a Rustler XVL today and already wants to go lipo. I was hopping that someone on here can tell me if they've come accross any Lipo's on HobbyCity.com that'll be a nice fit? Or have a web site I can show him to get some lipo's that arent going to cost a arm and a leg. Thanks, Joe

PM me web links if you like. Thanksa again
Old 01-31-2009, 06:40 PM
FairTax4me

Does he want 2S or 3S?

FlightPower makes some very nice lipos in just about any number of cells you could possibly want. They have a 3S 3200mah 20C on Towerhobbies for something like $120.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:15 PM
joeyhatch11

He wants 2S and 3S, one of each for now. I found on Hobbycity.com, Zippy lipo packs. One 5000mah 2S 20C for $30.00 and one 5000mah 3S 20C for $44.00. We're going to go with them. I use Zippy packs for my Esky Lama V3 and Mini-T. I also use them for my Nitro's and have had no problems with them. Plus you can't beat the price.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:00 AM
swampiedonkey

Ok, so an update. I have now upgraded to the standard Valenion package, my titan finally died thank god. Anyway, I have also added the bearings seeing as the XL-5 only comes with bushings, that made a massive difference of course. Right now I am running a 6 cell NiMH, with 90/20 spur/pinion. This is working well for me right now seeing as I am still getting used to the additional power that the brushless adds. I do have better tires then the stocks that are in the pics, but I destroyed the cheap wheels that I bought within a week. And when I say destroyed, I mean, I glued them back together until peices started falling off of them on the track exposing foam lol.

I ran my first official race yesterday. I was holding a solid second through the first 3 rounds, and was confident I could take the guy that was holding first. Of course then horror struck and somebody with a brand new rustler that he hadnt even ran yet, but was carrying it around watching the race, accidently turned his TX on and didnt know it and crossed my channel. We didn't manage to find the guy till the race was already over. I really need to get a new RX and TX, right now my LHS has a deal where I can trade in my current ones and get a Futaba 72 MHz TX and RX for $25, I'll probably grab that before the next race.

I am still running the stock body until I manage to get up to lipos and work on sealing my diff and getting better stiffer shocks so I dont end up destroying my custom painted body first day because im not used to the power.

I will try to get some video of our track soon, but there are a couple of places that I am still having a big problem with, lol there is one metal pole just the the right of one of the doubles that I slam into periodically that I need to avoid. As well as a wall on the back straightaway that I tend to run up onto and cartwheel of course snapping an axel carrier almost everytime.

And I know that I am not running an RPM bumper, I will explain. On our track, the dirt is extremely packed. That bumper had a tendency to dig into some of the areas of the track and that just wasnt good. If I ever just bash with my car, then I'll put it on, but while I am racing, the idea is NOT to wreck lol.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36807.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1124775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11384.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1124776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79603.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	1124777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44443.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	1124778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep86524.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1124779  
Old 02-01-2009, 11:24 AM
NjBasher

looks good next you should maybe get new rims and tires. go down to a 2.2 size rim so you can get what tire you want
Old 02-01-2009, 12:26 PM
swampiedonkey

Yeah, like I said, I do have different rear tires that I like a whole lot, but I destroyed the rims, so I am gonna try to get a bucket of acetone, soak the wheels and tires in that and try to salvage the tires and get better 2.2 rims, if it doesnt work I will of course just buy another set. My LHS is supposed to be getting some RPM wheels that work real well on the rustler on tuesday so I am gonna see what those are like. Havent decided on the fronts, yet, the stock tires are acutally pretty good on track here, I know they could be a bit better. I was looking at these here:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMW78&P=7

I know they are probably more geared towards 4-wheel drive trucks, but I'm thinkin they will help more corner considerably better, thats what I am hoping anyway.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:43 PM
NjBasher

yeah i have ribbed in front and snake eyes in the rear
Old 02-01-2009, 12:59 PM
swampiedonkey

my rears that i like are JConcepts Double D's, they grip our track like crazy, with stock tires my truck is very squirly, especially around corners, but with those tires on, it is very well controlled.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:01 PM
NjBasher

what rims are you using
Old 02-01-2009, 01:35 PM
swampiedonkey

Well the ones I destroyed were some $6 traxxas rims, that were chrome dishes, but like I said they were horrible, absolutly destroyed within a week, and I wasnt even wrecking that back, just landing a bit harder then I really should have been, but my stock rims seem to handle the same landing without so much as a crack.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:51 PM
JJay03

The pinion gear is stuck on my motor it seems like trying to change it out. Might have to go get the pb blaster.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:25 PM
FairTax4me

Just don't try to pry it off or you could bend the motor shaft.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:27 PM
simplecj

Swampi: A bucket of acetone will take off the wheel glue?? I got a pair of mashers on some Jato rims. I really want to salvage them so I can put them on the front of my Slashed Rustler. Right now I only have them on the back with the stock ribbed front wheels. Problem is that the ones on the Jato rims are reallllyyy glued on. Let me know if the acetone works and maybe I'll give it a try!!

JoeyHatch:
$40 for a 5Ah 3s lipo!! DAMN!! I might have to get one of those when I get the extra cash. I figured something like that would be more like $100.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:18 PM
swampiedonkey

ORIGINAL: simplecj

Swampi: A bucket of acetone will take off the wheel glue?? I got a pair of mashers on some Jato rims. I really want to salvage them so I can put them on the front of my Slashed Rustler. Right now I only have them on the back with the stock ribbed front wheels. Problem is that the ones on the Jato rims are reallllyyy glued on. Let me know if the acetone works and maybe I'll give it a try!!

JoeyHatch:
$40 for a 5Ah 3s lipo!! DAMN!! I might have to get one of those when I get the extra cash. I figured something like that would be more like $100.

Well, that is what one guy at the track told me. He told me to go to Home Depot or the like and get a gallon of acetone, and an empty paint bucket, fill the paint bucket with the acetone, then soak the wheels and tires in there for about 24 hrs, then I should be able to get them off. The foam inserts will be lost obviously, but he said that he has saved a number of tires that way. So I am gonna give it a shot probably sometime this week. I would like to have them for the race next saturday.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:40 PM
simplecj

Man.... I really wish we had a track here... I know there's one down in St George, but that's a 45 min drive from here. Maybe someday....
Old 02-01-2009, 03:42 PM
joeyhatch11

Zippy 5000mah 7.4v 2S 20C $28.84. Currently out of stock. But great price.
Zippy 5000mah 11.1v 3S 20C $43.26. Currently in stock. They have 125 left.

They are coming out of Honk Kong but I've order twice and had my Lipos in Jersey in 7 days. So like I said you really can't beat that.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:48 PM
JJay03

Does anyone elses spur gear seem to wobble a bit? Mine does I take it off and its perfectly flat so its like the slipper clutch part is bent or off center.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:02 PM
simplecj

ORIGINAL: JJay03

Does anyone elses spur gear seem to wobble a bit? Mine does I take it off and its perfectly flat so its like the slipper clutch part is bent or off center.
Ya, I bought a 90 tooth spur on eBay. It was brand new, but wobbled quite a bit. I'm pretty sure these things are injection molded, some how it seems some of them can get warped a bit. If it's very noticeable you will probably want to try to return it for a different one.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Always Dreamin

Mine did. I switched over to 32P a long time ago and never looked back. Zero wobble, zero stripped spurs, zero problems.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:11 PM
swampiedonkey

ORIGINAL: JJay03

Well from what I have noticed, the parts sitting on that axle arent necesarily centered on it, ya kinda have to center them as best you can, just make sure that the screw in the center of the clutch is not wobbling, then just try to center the other stuff as best you can, if the screw itself is wobbling, then you definatly have some bent shafts and need to replace them.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:12 PM
JJay03

No the shaft isnt wobbling and the gear seems strait to I dunno I though maybe the plate it mounted too was a bit off.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:32 PM
swampiedonkey

Ok, yeah thats pretty much exactly what I have noticed myself, if you loosen off that slipper clutch just enough, you will notice that you can move that plate around, ya kinda have to eye it and get it as well centered as you can.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:04 PM
JtKirk

ORIGINAL: swampiedonkey

Yeah, like I said, I do have different rear tires that I like a whole lot, but I destroyed the rims, so I am gonna try to get a bucket of acetone, soak the wheels and tires in that and try to salvage the tires and get better 2.2 rims, if it doesnt work I will of course just buy another set. My LHS is supposed to be getting some RPM wheels that work real well on the rustler on tuesday so I am gonna see what those are like. Havent decided on the fronts, yet, the stock tires are acutally pretty good on track here, I know they could be a bit better. I was looking at these here:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMW78&P=7

I know they are probably more geared towards 4-wheel drive trucks, but I'm thinkin they will help more corner considerably better, thats what I am hoping anyway.
Hey put them in boiling water for 7-8 mins then peel them off the rims
Be careful not to burn yourself. Wear gloves
Old 02-02-2009, 08:56 AM
swampiedonkey

Really? Just boiling water will work? I'll try that right when I get home then, thanks for the tip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.