Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Rustler Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Muskokarc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Rustler Thread

Welcome to the forum coinworker, I remember reading through all the pages just a few months ago. Ya there is a lot of info. The Ezruns systems have been recommended by others here in recent days. I have been thinking of getting one to. Though I would go for the 60 amp ESC. Its good to be able to put more power in it when you need to.

You can find the shock covers at amainhobbies.com . I have used the site and so have my friends. They have decent prices and you can chose what type of delivery you want. I have usually gotten my parts with in a week even through the holidays.

On another note a bit off topic, have not seen are friends from down under online for a bit. Hope they have not been to affected by the floods they are having.

Any one know where I can get a set of bead lock rims for the Rustler. I have been looking aorund and the Jconcept ones are all sold out all over.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:40 AM
ka350kaptain

ORIGINAL: coinworker

Wow... Information overload!!!! i just got done reading nearly two years of post on this thread. so many things in my head!! I got a rustler xl-5 pretty recently and of course i can't just leave it stock. So far all i have done to it is add a rpm front bumper and a traxxas wheelbar. i also bought a 2s 4000 blue lipo 30c hardcase and it fits great! Unfortunately i just broke the wheelie bar at its base. i feel like i read somewhere that RPM makes a motor protector that the traxxas bar can mount to, does anyone have a link to that? Also where was it that people are getting those shock covers? Those things are awesome! i have been inspired by Ka350kaptain, that red and black look, is rockin!! Although, i think mine will be built for off road bashin and have a white body... but i am still dreaming up her new look!

One last question. When i decide to go brushless i have been looking around and found this deal [link]http://www.hobbypartz.com/car.html[/link]
My question is... how does this compare to the vxl system... is the vxl system worth the money or can i get a better setup cheaper somewhere online, also does anyone know if the stock pinions will fit on the motor in the link?

I know i have a lot of questions but hey i actually spent the time to read the last two years worth of post so i could be somewhat informed when i started posting.
Thanks guys!

Welcome to the forums! Definitely a lot of good stuff here.

I get my shock covers from www.badhorsie.com

$9 for a set, free shipping. lots of cool colors.

Also, i personally prefer the complete Velineon brushless setup (esc + motor), great power, and the only system that is waterproof. always good deals on ebay.

go to towerhobbies.com and type in "rpm rustler" lots of great upgrades.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:25 AM
Krazy Chicken

is any one else not getting notified when someone replies to the thread if you are subscribed?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:42 AM
coinworker

Thanks kaptain! After looking at your pics again i noticed that you included that info on the shocks in your list of upgrades. Thanks for the tip about keeping an eye on ebay for good deals. Does anyone use the barnfloor.com any feedback on them, prices seem good but have no idea about the shipping cost or service? i made a list of the upgrades i would like to do and found that i really need more money!!! i guess i will have to do these upgrades as slowly as possible and only upgrade when i break something.... guess i'll have to get to bashin'.

Krazy chicken, my email notifications seem to be working just fine.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Muskokarc

Yes I to have not been getting the emails about new posting. 

As for water proof Novak has a water proof ESC to that I have been eyeing. Novak Havoc 3S Brushed/Brushless Electronic Speed Control w/Traxxas Connector.  I like it that is also dose brushed to since I just got a new brushed motor a few months back and will not have to get a new esc when I decide on a brushless motor.

Will have to look up those cover to good price.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:35 AM
tgom222

Hi everyone.  I'm a first time poster looking for some advice.  Instead of starting yet another "First buy" thread, I figured I'd just post here.

I'm looking to get my first RC car.  I'm thinking of getting a Ruster and was looking for some advice as to get an XL-5 or a VXL (and if a ruster is a good choice).

About me and what I'll be doing: This will be solely for bashing and maybe some unofficial racing/banging sessions with my nephew and brother-in-law who both have Duratrax Evader EXT2's. I want durability. I'm mature enough to take care of stuff (28 and married) and like to work on stuff and upgrade.

What are the differences between VXL and XL-5?  I realize that VXL is brushless and faster and has a better radio. Anything else?  

Anything else I should be concerned with?  Thanks everyone.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:08 AM
cbaumler

ORIGINAL: tgom222

Hi everyone. I'm a first time poster looking for some advice. Instead of starting yet another "First buy" thread, I figured I'd just post here.
I'm looking to get my first RC car. I'm thinking of getting a Ruster and was looking for some advice as to get an XL-5 or a VXL (and if a ruster is a good choice).
About me and what I'll be doing: This will be solely for bashing and maybe some unofficial racing/banging sessions with my nephew and brother-in-law who both have Duratrax Evader EXT2's. I want durability.I'm mature enough to take care of stuff (28 and married) and like to work on stuff and upgrade.
What are the differences between VXL and XL-5? I realize that VXL is brushless and faster and has a better radio. Anything else?
Anything else I should be concerned with? Thanks everyone.
Welcome to the forum! The rustler is a great entry level RC and a very good choice for your first. It's relatively durable, great support, easy to work on and literally tons of upgrade options and aftermarket support. I would highly recomend the VXL version from the start.

You can aways buy the XL5 and then upgrade it to VXL, but that will cost more in the long run and frankly, you will want that extra power and speed pretty quickly if you get the XL5. In addition to the brushless motor and esc, the VXL also gives you adjustable links, hex hardware, bearings instead of bushings and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. Get the VXL!

Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 AM
coinworker

in my opinion the rustler is a great buy for the money and no matter what way you go you'll be happy... for awhile. i just got the xl-5 a while back and already i am thinking about brushless upgrades and it defiantly cost more to upgrade to the vxl components than to buy it rtr. However... i am really happy with the xl-5 and it's performance with a 2s battery and it's bashability. i have nothing but snow on the ground around here and have really enjoyed the waterproof factor of the car, just make sure to take the time to care for it after the runs in the snow so that it wont rust out on you.

i just find myself wanting more speed because i know it's possible to have! Other than that little problem i am very pleased with the car. There are a lot of rc cars out there but i think that if you like the stadium truck and want a good price with a good amount of bashability this is the truck!

Just my opinion [8D]
Old 01-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Muskokarc

Ok here are some new pics of my rustler. The purple one is the clasic body; still looking for a new one this type. The blue one I not sure what it was called bought it in the early years to. Will most likely go with a Desert Rat body from Proline.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86543.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1547819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50957.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1547820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74308.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1547821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81344.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1547822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20098.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1547823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne54153.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1547824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ya56297.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1547825  
Old 01-14-2011, 06:50 PM
thehuntingterminator

Novak ESC?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Jackedman
My Feedback: (2)

Hey has anyone tried the ez run motors in there rustler?? I've got the ez run 9t 4300kv in mine and it's great and runs mint on the track I'm going too just an FYI for you guys.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Muskokarc

Yes its a Novak esc. Its the first esc in my rustler. Had the old mechanical one till mid summer last year when I got the one in it now. My first real upgrade to my rustler. Am please with it other than I did not check that it did not have revers. Makes for fun bashing having to get it when it gets stuck against a tree or other solid object, but hay thats where my energenic three year old son comes in handy. I do not have the model right of hand but know that its a pro-sports esc.

Like i mentioned befor i am looking at the Havoc S3 brushed/ brushless esc. To upgrade my curent ESC.
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/es..._3s/index.html
Old 01-14-2011, 10:00 PM
coinworker

so do the shock spacers really help when bashing... if i put some spacers in the shocks then jump it off a high jump will the landing really be any softer or should i leave the shock so that they have the full amount of travel. is it that the spacers really only help with steering and control over bumps and diff terrain and not jumps? sorry it's late and my mind doesn't want to figure this out by itself...
Old 01-15-2011, 04:16 AM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all the shock spacers are for is ride height. Your springs and shock oil determine how soft you land and handling. I always set my ride height just above level arms in the front and level in the rear. Seems to work good for race or bash.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:17 PM
electricrc68
Banned

do rustler tires and stampede tires use the same hexes?
Old 01-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Jackedman
My Feedback: (2)

I think they are
Old 01-15-2011, 02:02 PM
electricrc68
Banned

okay so these would work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/12mm-Hexes-Pins-...item5194b41dbf

Old 01-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Muskokarc

Yes they should work though if your replacing you stock ones I would be looking to upgrade to aluminum ones. I find that with the nylon ones that you can over tighten them and cause lots of friction. ( Fyi Rustler uses12mm hex nuts external mesurments. )
Old 01-15-2011, 07:40 PM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:12 PM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

do rustler tires and stampede tires use the same hexes?
Sure do.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 PM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: Muskokarc

Yes its a Novak esc. Its the first esc in my rustler. Had the old mechanical one till mid summer last year when I got the one in it now. My first real upgrade to my rustler. Am please with it other than I did not check that it did not have revers. Makes for fun bashing having to get it when it gets stuck against a tree or other solid object, but hay thats where my energenic three year old son comes in handy. I do not have the model right of hand but know that its a pro-sports esc.

Like i mentioned befor i am looking at the Havoc S3 brushed/ brushless esc. To upgrade my curent ESC.
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/es..._3s/index.html
LOL I have been eying one of those Ballistic motors they make, or going with a out runner, I haven decided yet.

Though, I have a 3S 5000MAH pack coming, and some new Mashers, annnnddd I just finished painting a new body. I will post some pictures tomorrow hopefully.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:16 PM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: Muskokar
I have been looking aorund and the Jconcept ones are all sold out all over.

LOL I have one of those, they are awesome bodies, and they last a long time but it was finely time to retire it.. They sure are expensive now though. [:@]
Old 01-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Muskokarc

Well I have decided to go with some kind of theme with my Rusler colour wise that is.

What something that is now out there or at the least not to common.  I have gotten it down to three at this point.

1. Go with a purple with blue colour.

2. Lots of neon colours like green and yellow should stick out nicely on the track..

3. Scooby Doo mystery machine look.  my son has been hooked on the show.

Any comments or ideas?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:11 PM
thehuntingterminator

do the Scooby-Doo theme! I love that show! Are you gonna put a van-type body on it for a Mystery Machine look?
Old 01-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Muskokarc

Ya guess that would be a good idea to put on a van just would need to extend the rear mounts.

Would need to find a body though have not seen one yet. Though could use a bus body.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.