Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Rustler Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Aljo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Rustler Thread

I no like de nitro noise too much bark and not enough bite fer me liken mannn...... ROFL!

Let us know what you decide on.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:26 AM
rayndog3

I hear ya aljo, but I gots to try it out!!! hahahaha

ORIGINAL: Aljo

I no like de nitro noise too much bark and not enough bite fer me liken mannn...... ROFL!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: rayndog3

I hear ya aljo, but I gots to try it out!!! hahahaha

ORIGINAL: Aljo

i'll let yall know, but it'll probably be a Nitro Sport cuz its the cheapest!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:28 AM
rayndog3

Well it seems after a bit more researching, I don't really have a nitro sport, I've got a nitro rustler with nitro sport steering blocks etc..... no biggie. but the chassis is totally different. wonder why the dude listed it as a sport instead. unless he had no idea. but he also included an old nitro sport manual...hmmmmmm. very strange. can't wait to get this thing going either way!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:12 AM
thehuntingterminator

you got a better deal then. the Nitro Rusty is suppose to be more durable.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:26 PM
thehuntingterminator

oh, yeah. i forgot to mention my trip to the hobby shop the other day. i got some black RPM arms all the way around, an 86t spur, and a 23t pinion. i was running 28/86 and now 23/86 but i'm really surprised that i can't tell really any difference in top end. but, i can tell my electronics are a tad cooler after every run and my acceleration is a little better cuz now i can do wheelies if on a high enough traction surface. although i probably could do more wheelies if i tightened my slipper all the way, but i would like this spur to last me
Old 07-08-2011, 04:48 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my brushless cars,
but trust me u wont regret geting a nitro car too.

this is my latest
just won this from ebay for $232, its going to be converted into a r/c short corse truck, but first im gonna let the kids kill it first.
im looking around $120 for 2 33kg servos..... ouch ive still got other cars that need finishing off first but the price was right for the quad so might be a while before it gets converted. But my wife is happy now i dont really want a HPI baja 5t SS kit.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:06 AM
phmaximus

I think the preformance from any traxxas 3.3 vehicle is impressive, my revo flys, shure its not the most torquey car compared to brushless but it matchess it for acceleration, and u can go full throttle with out spining out, ive found some of my brushless cars are over kill & require babying the throttle so thay dont spin out, where the revo just leaves them for dead on loose dire(on road is diffrent), the power band is alot nicer with nitro compared brushless, because as the engine rpm increase so does the torque untill max torque is reached. But with a brushless motor thay have max torque from take off then it decreased with motor rpm in a linear fashion. here is some food for thought, did u know that the stock brushed motor class for the slash on average pulls more laps than the brushless class

I would not say one is better than the other, but i do say.... get both
Old 07-08-2011, 05:20 AM
rayndog3

Yea, I'm very excited to finally get a nitro project going. Itook the whole thing apart yesterday and cleaned it all up, then started re-assembling it. Gotta stop at the hobby shop this weekend to get some parts, especially the stuff for the motor, from the flywheel out.

question, why does the nitro rustler come with an aluminum chassis and the electric has a plastic one?

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

I think the preformance from any traxxas 3.3 vehicle is impressive, my revo flys, shure its not the most torquey car compared to brushless but it matchess it for acceleration, and u can go full throttle with out spining out, ive found some of my brushless cars are over kill & require babying the throttle so thay dont spin out, where the revo just leaves them for dead on loose dire(on road is diffrent), the power band is alot nicer with nitro compared brushless, because as the engine rpm increase so does the torque untill max torque is reached. But with a brushless motor thay have max torque from take off then it decreased with motor rpm in a linear fashion. here is some food for thought, did u know that the stock brushed motor class for the slash on average pulls more laps than the brushless class

I would not say one is better than the other, but i do say.... get both
Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 AM
electricrc68
Banned

rayndog3, i think that the nitro comes with aluminum because the heat from the motor can melt the plastic, and the electric can't melt the plastic. i also think it may have something to do with fuel being onboard too.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:16 PM
phmaximus

I would say it has alot to do with the way the nitro motors are bolted to the chassis. hummmmmmm good point tho why are thay alloy??
Old 07-08-2011, 02:00 PM
thehuntingterminator

idk, but it might have something to do with that originally (b4 BL and stuff became popular and electric was still weak) nitros were the things to bash. the most durable RCs out there. so i don't know, but there's my guess.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:09 PM
electricrc68
Banned

but you know, you gotta understand the heat that these nitro engines generate. they get pretty hot and i think can melt through plastic.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:28 PM
thehuntingterminator

well yeah, i'm sure they would if mounted right to a plastic piece. for optimal performance you don't even want to start your engine until its 200 degrees plus.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:45 PM
electricrc68
Banned

yeah. and then also, even if they mounted it on a metal piece and put it on a plastic chassis, metal can conduct heat very well.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:57 PM
thehuntingterminator

lol, then everytime you touched the chassis you'd get burned worse than the lady who sued McDonald's for too hot coffee, haha.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:29 PM
electricrc68
Banned

lol yep!!
Old 07-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Muskokarc

Thats why coffee cup now say caution Hot on them :P  Oh and vending machines also say do not tilt on them because some one had one fall  on them when they where messing with it and went after the vending company.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:26 PM
electricrc68
Banned

lol people are crazy. probably why this quote is true:

the more people i meet, the more i like my dog.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:28 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

people are crazy
lol, Billy Currington
Old 07-08-2011, 06:36 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

people are crazy
lol, Billy Currington
hehehe oh my of course. you country folk and your music!

Old 07-09-2011, 06:18 PM
thehuntingterminator

i re-tuned my suspension on my Rustler last night. i discovered that having a stiff enough front setup is actually more important than the rear's stiffness. when i used real soft springs in the front and let it droop, it just sat there and did uncontrollable donuts because the front tires got no traction because nothing was pushing them into the dirt because the springs were so soft. i used some medium springs today and moved my shock mounts to the middle hole in the back (RPM arms only have 3 holes in rear unlike stock for some reason), and it all seems to work really nicely... except now my rear tires are starting to show wear, especially when on asphalt or concrete... which leads to easy and unwanted donuts, sometimes. overall, great day with the Rusty. its dark now so i will likely take the Micro SCT for a cruise around the house
Old 07-09-2011, 07:49 PM
electricrc68
Banned

you are one lucky kid you know that? all your RC's are working, they aren't costing you a ton of money, and you have something to do.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:00 PM
thehuntingterminator

lol, the point of them is to be fun. and fun=expensive most of the time! you wouldn't be interested in my Bandit would you?
Old 07-10-2011, 04:48 AM
rayndog3

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

i re-tuned my suspension on my Rustler last night. i discovered that having a stiff enough front setup is actually more important than the rear's stiffness. when i used real soft springs in the front and let it droop, it just sat there and did uncontrollable donuts because the front tires got no traction because nothing was pushing them into the dirt because the springs were so soft. i used some medium springs today and moved my shock mounts to the middle hole in the back (RPM arms only have 3 holes in rear unlike stock for some reason), and it all seems to work really nicely... except now my rear tires are starting to show wear, especially when on asphalt or concrete... which leads to easy and unwanted donuts, sometimes. overall, great day with the Rusty. its dark now so i will likely take the Micro SCT for a cruise around the house
Stiff suspension in the back is horrible in my opinion, it doesn't let the rear squat under acceleration and makes wheelies much more uncontrollable. To hard in the front is no good, but like you say, soft isn't good either. gotta find that happy medium.

I go through rear tires like crazy! all I run on is asphalt, so thats my problem. I just caught hell last week from my wife about my spending habbits on the hobby. I had to tell her I'd cool off a bit, but now I've got this nitro to get going, LOL. I shouldn't have to spend too much to get this running. My fingers are crossed that I can get it going this week sometime. I'm borrowing some pieces such as shocks and some tires from my E rustler to get this going and to keep the cost down at the moment. here's where it's at so far. still need: traxxas flywheel, clutch shoes, clutch bell, bearings, header, different horn for throttle servo, a body, and of course the fuel and a glow plug igniter. and from what understand I should have a few glow plugs on hand too. then I think it'll be ready for the breaking in process

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.