Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Rustler Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 PM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Rustler Thread

mounted the new body today... www.youtube.com/watch
Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice work, a few years back we had a 6ft tank with angle fish, but stupid me put a pump that was to powerfull & 1 of them killed off all the others because thay were fighting over one spot in the tank with the least amount of current. lol we called it Genghis Khan.

here is one of my other hobbies
1978 Ford Fairlane, 302ci cleveland, c4, BW diff.
atm im saving for a new exhaust, & a few other goodies. Its running a holley 600, Weiand single plane accelerator manifold, MSD lookalike HEI dizzy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sQHR4W5PnI[/youtube]

and here are my other r/c

Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 PM
phmaximus

thehuntingterminator

that looks sweet, nice work
Old 02-21-2011, 09:27 PM
thehuntingterminator

thanx. i will trim it up some more this week and make it look better. i just got to cut the front up a little and dremel the body in the back.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:32 PM
phmaximus

hey is that the body of that $50 radio shack car???? with the zip lock bags over the camera???
Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 PM
thehuntingterminator

lol, someones been watching my vids! and yeah it is. i was gonna mount a btter jeep body but there was no way because it wouldn't fit.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Aljo

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

nice work, a few years back we had a 6ft tank with angle fish, but stupid me put a pump that was to powerfull & 1 of them killed off all the others because thay were fighting over one spot in the tank with the least amount of current. lol we called it Genghis Khan.

here is one of my other hobbies
1978 Ford Fairlane, 302ci cleveland, c4, BW diff.
atm im saving for a new exhaust, & a few other goodies. Its running a holley 600, Weiand single plane accelerator manifold, MSD lookalike HEI dizzy.

and here are my other r/c
Mate, between my circuit racer Toyota Celica RA28 and my 2010 Holden Cruze that has a 2000WRMS $10k Alpine, Focal and JL Audio Sound system, my watercooled gaming rig (don't game any more but great for watching HD movies through the HDMI to our big screen LCD) and the RC car along with the plans to buy my 2 kids ages 6 and 8 1 RC car each, my wife wouldn't be impressed if I started accumilating more RC cars at this time. I like your collection. Here are pics of my cars but the RA28 has gone through several different motor changes through the years first performance motor was a 3T GTE then a 3S GTE (engineered for rear wheel drive) and now she has a 1MZ-FE V6 3.0 litre 32 valve and is a lot more balanced for circuit racing. But these pics are of the 3S GTE will have to update pics of new setup along with current pics of the stereo and my gaming Rig. Click for bigger resolution.

Got some parts for the RC today she should be up and running but not with the MIP parts so will have to becarefull with my acceleration, undo the slipper abit but I will work a burnout vid into my plans in the next few days.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 AM
Muskokarc

Ya angle fish get rather big. Though its funny to watch mine get chased by the one femail Beta that has taken to nesting int he floating plant tangle at the top. I have three tanks on the go two 10 and the large 20. One has not lost any fish for about a year now. the 20 doing well but can not get any algae eaters to last in it. I like keeping live plants in my tanks makes them healthier. My water has a high iron content so do not need to worry about adding any for the plants. The third tank had two gold fish in it. My wife keeps getting feeders for my son to watch in that tank but they do not last long. Nice cars guys. All I got is a old 99 Caravan

Been looking to get a new battery charger and debating on if I spend the money and get a AC/DC powered one or just the DC type. I got to thinking that I could salvage out my old mechanical timed charger (a old panda auto charger) and use it to power another charger for a AC source. Will have to take it apart and do some checking but that would save me the money on a new charger. Also got looking at the EZrun systems. I downloaded the instructions and it turns out they have been water proofed. So will be going with that for my new electronics.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:11 PM
lenymo

I just mounted up my RPM front A arms. Next is rear arms. I want to upgrade the motor but im not sure what is good, or even really how toi tell which one is better than the next. Can anyone explain this to me? Possibly link me to a starters thread.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:14 PM
thehuntingterminator

what are you wanting, brushless, brushed, cheap, good quality, etc.?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:30 PM
lenymo

the motor needs to be reliable for sure. Whats the difference between a brushless and what i currently have? I was reading the magazine that came in the box and it mentioned a brushless motor, i just didnt know what the differnce is.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 PM
thehuntingterminator

brushless motors don't use brushes, meaning they should never lose performance, and never wear out besides the bearing in them. but, if you don't want to spend the money for brushless, then there are some great rebuildable brushed motors out there. brushless will have insane power, but brushed can be powerful too, and alot less expensive.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:43 PM
lenymo

Honestly money isnt really a determining factor. I want the best so ill fork over more for the better motor.
What are the pros and cons for each? Does one overheat easier? which has more power?

Also on a side note, has anyone seen or heard of a tesla coil inside a car?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:56 PM
thehuntingterminator

well, Castle Creations makes some dang good systems if your not worried about money. brushless has way more power, its just alot more expensive. as far as overheating issues, both will do that. and if you go BL, you will need a BL ESC also to accompany the BL motor. if you get another brushed motor, your current ESC can likely handle it.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:04 PM
lenymo

When looking at motors how can i tell the output on them?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:06 PM
thehuntingterminator

on BL motors?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Aljo

ORIGINAL: lenymo

Honestly money isnt really a determining factor. I want the best so ill fork over more for the better motor.
What are the pros and cons for each? Does one overheat easier? which has more power?

Also on a side note, has anyone seen or heard of a tesla coil inside a car?
Money not being an issue Brushless is the fastest most powerful option available but you will need Brushless ESC, Motor, LiPo batteries and charger to charge the battery which can cost you from around $200 for a cheap setup and can get up to around $400 for a pro racer type setup not to mention that usually your car is going to need hop-ups to handle the new speed and power. The question comes down to the type of driving you will be doing and if your drive line can handle the setup. A brushless setup is very broad in options from the KV rating of a motor (rpm per volt), Max recommended RPM for that motor which influences the choice of battery pack e.g: 3cell LiPo = nominal 3.7v per cell = 11.1 but fully charged they rate at 4v to 4.2v per cell = 12v to 12.6v and so a 3500KV x 12.6v = 44100RPM. Also important is the Turn rating of the motor as this is a good way to choose the right motor for your driving style (higher the turn the more torque will be produced) e.g: off-road and a heavy vehicle requires more torque to move the mass and to power across rough terrain too low a turn will put more strain on the engine (causing heat issues) and will cause you to gear lower to compensate for the lack of torque. And that is why usually a high KV low Turn motor are used on the on-road vehicles and a lower KV and High turn motor is used for off-road vehicles but there are exceptions to that rule. Now the ESC needs to be able to supply the motor with all the current it asks for e.g: motor is rated to consume 100AMPS at full load but the ESC can only produce 80AMPS the motor and ESC will run hot and can end up being damaged so you need an ESC that will provide minimum 120AMPS more is better. Now the battery pack needs to provide the ESC and the motor the AMPS that is asked e.g: motor asks for 100AMPS ESC is 150AMPS continuous then your battery needs to provide that so a LiPo pack rated at 4000mAh 30C rating will produce a constant AMP output of 120AMPS which would be suffice for the before mentioned setup but I prefer to have more over head and go for a 5000mAh 40C pack producing a constant AMP output of 200AMPs and never have the problem of warm packs and generally get between 30min to 45min of driving time. Cheap setup tend to be 60AMPS but 100AMP to 150AMP ESC can be found for a good price I have a HobbyKing 1/8th scale 150AMP ESC cost me $70 + shipping and the Tacon motors are great starter motors at below $30 and 5000mAh 40C LiPo battery packs can be found for under $40 and a charger that charges the LiPo, NiMH, NiCD and some others type packs can be found for around $40 and most of these parts can be found here at this link http://www.hobbypartz.com/ if your in the USA that will be a good starting point they even sell the higher end Castle Creations stuff but budget and how experienced you are with this technology should be the factors you consider when deciding to go a more expensive setup.

I Hope this helps and it ain't an over kill wall of spam.

As for Tesla coil inside a car I have heard somethings about an idea to use them as a security deterrent for thieves as part of the car alarm but to power it I think there was some chatter about using the Tesla coil with water to somehow run a car not sure on that last part. Security idea seems dangerous and not sure how the powering of the car would be implamented.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 PM
reel01

whats up people. Im new here. and i have a rustler and im trying to go crazy fast. My friends have rustlers with Mamba monster 2200kv motors. Im thinking of getting that myself. But i would like to go for something better, My buddy has been clocked at early 90'smph ....... AT HALF THROTTLE... So im trying to beat him. so please give me some advice.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Aljo

ORIGINAL: reel01

whats up people. Im new here. and i have a rustler and im trying to go crazy fast. My friends have rustlers with Mamba monster 2200kv motors. Im thinking of getting that myself. But i would like to go for something better, My buddy has been clocked at early 90'smph ....... AT HALF THROTTLE... So im trying to beat him. so please give me some advice.
Read research spend alot of time learning before doing it aint easy to push much faster nor is it cheap but it is a goal that can be exciting for some.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Aljo

I received the Hardened steel yokes and slash halfshafts and installed them last night here are pics of them I also took photos of the 2 x 2s packs being balance charged as a 4s through a wired rig I made up. Click for large resolution.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Aljo

ORIGINAL: Muskokarc
Ya angle fish get rather big. Though its funny to watch mine get chased by the one femail Beta that has taken to nesting int he floating plant tangle at the top. I have three tanks on the go two 10 and the large 20. One has not lost any fish for about a year now. the 20 doing well but can not get any algae eaters to last in it. I like keeping live plants in my tanks makes them healthier. My water has a high iron content so do not need to worry about adding any for the plants. The third tank had two gold fish in it. My wife keeps getting feeders for my son to watch in that tank but they do not last long. Nice cars guys. All I got is a old 99 Caravan

Been looking to get a new battery charger and debating on if I spend the money and get a AC/DC powered one or just the DC type. I got to thinking that I could salvage out my old mechanical timed charger (a old panda auto charger) and use it to power another charger for a AC source. Will have to take it apart and do some checking but that would save me the money on a new charger. Also got looking at the EZrun systems. I downloaded the instructions and it turns out they have been water proofed. So will be going with that for my new electronics.
I recommend this charger as I own it and it has served me well Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15042 like around $28 + shipping might find something similar in the USA for close to same price. I also bought this to power it Turnigy T-20Pro Quality 16A Power Supply 180~240V (220W) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13765 $25 + shipping but shipping bundled so pretty good, but you can use a laptop power adapter aslong as it supplies 5amp min and has the plug you need to fit it or solder the correct plug on or midify a PC power supply I can post a how to link if you would like to know. My 1st brushless system was the EZRUN 35amp combo with the 4300kv motor which was fun on 3s setup but got old after a while but was a good step back into the world of RC's. But I would recommend there 100amp or minimum the 60amp but Hobby King has these which are great value; my 150 amp http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10370 or the alternate brand http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14635 or the smaller 1/10th scale 100amp http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8993 or the 60amp one which is identical to the EZRUN branded ESC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7188 either way many cheap choices. And all of them are in stock. There is a warehouse in the USA too so may some of these in stock there not sure though. There is also a how to waterproof a ESC by Jang that maybe something you may be interested in.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:44 AM
Aljo

I haven't had a chance to run my car since this stages completion because it is raining here but going through our cameras memory I came across this video of a small testing session my 8yo recorded I had no body on the car yet (scary), tyres were unbalanced and foams were causing them to not reseat properly after ballooning it was just not a ready setup but we got some footage but never got it over 1/2 throttle oh and the battery was not fresh actually started to diminish by the end of the video and it usually lasts 45min on that setup. Anyways filmed on the 5th of January 2011 here is the video.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTB04Bx8HXY[/youtube]
Old 02-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Muskokarc

Cool thanks for the info. I have been looking at this charger from hobypartz, http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-t680-charger.html , and this combo for my rustler to get me into the brushless cheep. http://www.hobbypartz.com/ez-60a-rc-...ar-system.html The ESC is like I said already water proof. I am also thinking of getting a rock crawler kit in the fall and was thinking of then dropping this into it and then up my system in the ruslter next spring. Hopefully I will have two jobs on the go to get me through the slow winter months. Fun part about living in a summer tourist area. I have the electronics background to build a power supply or mod one for use.

Well will just have to build up my paypal account to get the new parts and such.

Here is a of my friends new car body still have some stickers to put on it and such but looks good as is right now.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83388.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1568637  
Old 02-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Jackedman
My Feedback: (2)

Do the lights flash?????
Old 02-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Aljo

ORIGINAL: Muskokarc

Cool thanks for the info. I have been looking at this charger from hobypartz, http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-t680-charger.html , and this combo for my rustler to get me into the brushless cheep. http://www.hobbypartz.com/ez-60a-rc-...ar-system.html The ESC is like I said already water proof. I am also thinking of getting a rock crawler kit in the fall and was thinking of then dropping this into it and then up my system in the ruslter next spring. Hopefully I will have two jobs on the go to get me through the slow winter months. Fun part about living in a summer tourist area. I have the electronics background to build a power supply or mod one for use.

Well will just have to build up my paypal account to get the new parts and such.

Here is a of my friends new car body still have some stickers to put on it and such but looks good as is right now.

Both are good cheap options for breaking into the brushless world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.