Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

OFFICAL PEDE THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:16 PM
SS Pede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICAL PEDE THREAD

ORIGINAL: wasting money

Need some info. I'm wanting to make the switch to brushless. The Velineon system from Traxxas looks like a good system to go with because it doesn't limit you too much with input voltage. 10 cells with nimh. I have noticed that some of the Novak systems limit you to 6 cells. Really like the extra performance with more voltage. So basically just want to know if the Velineon will hold up to some bashing without having to baby it too much. Or is there another system that is better? BTW, I can get Velineon on E-BAY for $150, don't want to spend more than $200. Thanks!
The Velineon should work great for you. I don't own one myself, but I've read lots of reports from other users and I haven't heard of many problems at all. I say go for it!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Always Dreamin

gearing on a stock xl-5

mamba 5700? running 6 cells, on all terrain

thanks
Old 10-03-2007, 09:21 PM
wasting money

I ordered the Velineon system today off E-BAY. Just thought I would keep everything Traxxas. Just upgraded all the tranny gears with VXL parts along with the carriers. Everything fit perfect on my old XL-1. I'll post back when I get the brushless system installed.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:41 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody else have issues with hardware backing out on their stampede?

Nearly every time I run my truck, I wind up having to tighten up the hinge pins halfway through the run, and I'm always losing the shoulder screws that retain the upper end of the shock to the towers. This had been going on since about the third month I had the truck and it's getting really frustrating. The whole reason I bought a Stampede in the first place was to have a fun basher that wouldn't require me to carry around a bag of tools and hardware for field repairs(that's what the nitro trucks are for).
Old 10-04-2007, 05:08 PM
GonzoBeyondo

ORIGINAL: BuzzBomber

I wind up having to tighten up the hinge pins halfway through the run, and I'm always losing the shoulder screws that retain the upper end of the shock to the towers.
Well, nitro vs. electric, I don't see why you'd need tools and maintenance with one and not the other. Kinda silly.
The Traxxas manual clearly states you need to check and tighten all screws after a run.

The "screw pins" should be replaced with real pins and e-clips. I never have a problem there.

The shock towers, being plastic, will be prone to loosening. You could try a dab of loctite or CA glue.
My solution is to use aluminum shock towers, hex head bolts, nylon locking nuts, and some loctite.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:27 PM
MCSEVZ

Hey Peders, I am getting a Reedy 19-t Quad-mag this coming week and as of now im running stock gearing, what should i change my gearing to for jumping and general bashing around the hilly backyard.(I live in a woods which has been a blast so far with my Pede) I am also upgrading to RPM bearing carriers, caster blocks, and revo spec 5*11 sealed bearings. Any suggestions on what would be my next best mod? I am wanting some larger tires, but im not sure what is good...anyone have suggestions??? Lastly, anyone change their camber rods to adjustable ones? If anyone has, is it better or not noticeable?

MAN I LOVE MY PEDE, and its even stock! I cant wait till I get the new motor!
Old 10-05-2007, 10:04 AM
BuzzBomber

ORIGINAL: GonzoBeyondo

ORIGINAL: BuzzBomber

I wind up having to tighten up the hinge pins halfway through the run, and I'm always losing the shoulder screws that retain the upper end of the shock to the towers.
Well, nitro vs. electric, I don't see why you'd need tools and maintenance with one and not the other. Kinda silly.
The Traxxas manual clearly states you need to check and tighten all screws after a run.

The "screw pins" should be replaced with real pins and e-clips. I never have a problem there.

The shock towers, being plastic, will be prone to loosening. You could try a dab of loctite or CA glue.
My solution is to use aluminum shock towers, hex head bolts, nylon locking nuts, and some loctite.
It's not as if I'm new to this. I've been running r/c cars since I got my first tamiya frog in 1987. HOWEVER, this is the first car I've EVER had that sheds parts due to running shock/vibration so quickly. I DO check all hardware before I go out for the day, and yet, halfway through a run, I have to re-tighten things. THAT is NOT normal. This is a novice-oriented car, and somehow I find it doubtful to expect the average noob does a lot of wrenching. The reason I bought this car is so that I'd have something to run on my lunchbreak and stuff in my trunk without bringing a full complement of tools. In other words, when I don't want the hassle of running the 09 mini inferno, the MGT, or the Mini LST.

Why is it silly to assume that an entry level electric 2WD RTR should, in theory at least, require less maintenance from its owner than a more advanced 4WD nitro powered monster truck, for example? The nitro truck has far more moving parts and more components and hardware in general, and far more vibration when running(go take a look at a model plane built for electric and then look at one built for nitro power to see what I'm getting at), hence more opportunities for problems to arise.

Why would I want to replace the screw pins with slotted hinge pins and e-clips? So I can have MORE small parts to lose? The screw pins seem to work fine on my Monster GT--I only need to tighten those after every pint or so of fuel through the truck. E-clips get bent and pop off, magically jump from the pliers and get lost when trying to replace them, etc. I hate e-clips.

Loctite and plastic is a no-no. Loctite needs anaerobic conditions to cure unlike CA and other glues, and something about the curing process makes loctite attack most plastics. Admittedly, I haven't tried it on the nylon shock towers, and I'm not about to. I did however, wick some CA into the shock tower holes to harden up the threads--we'll see if if works.

All I wanted to know is whether anyone else has noticed the hardware backing out of the plastics on their stampede more than usual with other cars in their fleet. I'm wondering if I got a bad batch of parts is all.

edit: not trying to sound antagonistic, just defending my position...
Old 10-05-2007, 01:01 PM
billdee

maybe in the build process or the none stop re turning of the screws has stripped them and this is causing them to back out.i have a pede for years and never had this problem.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:22 PM
BuzzBomber

It's possible that it was overtightened from the factory. I don't routinely crank down on screws into plastic for the very reason that it's easy to overdo it. However, I always do a visual inspection before I run my cars and put a wrench/driver on any hardware that looks suspect to be sure. It's mostly the shock attachment screws that cause my problems, to clear up my earlier comments--the hinge screw pins usually back out a 1/4" if at all and stay there, so I just crank 'em back in at the end of the day. Anyway, glad to hear you're not having this problem.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:19 AM
scheibler

Hey guys I just picked up some masher 2K tires and traxxas 2.2 rims. I have a xl-5 stampede with stock gearing and have two questoins about my gearing:
1)What should I gear the pede to with the masher 2k tires to run like stock?
2)What should I gear the pede to have better acceleration and wheelie'n torque?

BTW, my list of upgrades to my xl-5 includes:
RPM bearing carriers on all 4's with 5x11mm bearings
RPM Wide Front Bumper
Aluminum Wheelie Bar
GP3300 Batteries
Duratrax PowerPole Connectors(huge difference in acceleration adn run times!)
Masher 2k tires

I have another question though about going to the traxas vxl brushless system in the future after I get metal gears:
3) Will it even be faster then the xl-5 with the cheap 6-cell gp3300's from radioshack casue I can't afford a new charger for higher capacity nimhs, better nimh batteries, or a lipo setup
Old 10-06-2007, 01:56 PM
MCSEVZ

Any suggestions on what shocks to upgrade to for jumping and hard bashing? I bent one of my front shocks today due to a terrible landing from a far fall oops...also is the Reedy Quad Mag 19t a good motor for hard bashing high torque lower speed areas?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Always Dreamin

gearing on a stock xl-5 mamba max 6 cell all terrain?
14/90 a good place to be?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:51 PM
wasting money

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

gearing on a stock xl-5 mamba max 6 cell all terrain?
14/90 a good place to be?
That's fine as long as heat build-up isn't a issue. You really can't go too much lower than what you have now. I think 90 is the biggest spur gear made for the Pede, you could go down some more on the pinion gear but than you run into not alot of teeth meshing between pinion and spur. Could cause spur gear to strip under a high load. I went to a smaller tire, Geolandar, because I just drive mine around the yard and the motor was gettin really hot.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:57 PM
speedyAK

ORIGINAL: MCSEVZ

Any suggestions on what shocks to upgrade to for jumping and hard bashing? I bent one of my front shocks today due to a terrible landing from a far fall oops...also is the Reedy Quad Mag 19t a good motor for hard bashing high torque lower speed areas?
Try get the Traxxas titanium shock shafts. I hear they're good upgrades. They're about 10 bucks a pair. I haven't tried them out cause I don't bash that hard (yet).

And I was also thinking about getting the Reedy Quad Mag also. It was the motor to get back when the XL-1 was the pede to get before the XL-5 and VXL came out.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:47 PM
MCSEVZ

Ok, Titanium sounds good...I have the XL-5, will the Reedy Quad Mag work with that, or is there a better one for less than $50??? I was just bahsing again and i broke a steering block[:@] I need to start stocking up on common parts so i dont have to wait a week before i can drive again!
Old 10-06-2007, 04:10 PM
MCSEVZ

Ok, a few more QUestions for anyone:

1. Will the HPI SS monster truck wheels work with my Pede? I see they say that have an adapter for traxxas vehicles, but im not 100% sure that they will work.... http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM875&P=M

2. I am prolly gonna get new tires this month...which is better....Masher 2000, or Moabs?

3. With either of those tires and a Reedy Quad Mag on my XL-5, what gearing should i get for lots of torque and some speed (mainly for offroad bashing)
Old 10-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Always Dreamin

I like mashers. But they are both quite close.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:31 PM
scheibler

i like the mashers better too...thats why I just bought them

what tooth pinion should I run with the stock 12t titan motor and 86tooth spur gear for acceleration and wheelies with masher 200 tires? the stock pinion is 19t
Old 10-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Always Dreamin

Well, the diffrence is small. I would leave it at 19t pinion. If temps are high you could run 17 or 18t. I doubt it tho, just watch temps..
Old 10-06-2007, 04:48 PM
scheibler

I just bought a 9.6v batt! woot! I'm definately going to gear down...I also just want torque and wheelies because I drive offfroad. Is it safe to go 16/86 with a 3800mah 9.6V and 3300mah 7.2V batts or should I use 17
Old 10-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Always Dreamin

Are u running the stock titan 12t?

Oops just read, you are..

No way should you ever run a 9.6 volt battery through a titan 12t!!!!

The titan/xl-5 is not rated for more then a 7 cell battery, even then it runs hot.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:16 PM
wasting money

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

Are u running the stock titan 12t?

Oops just read, you are..

No way should you ever run a 9.6 volt battery through a titan 12t!!!!

The titan/xl-5 is not rated for more then a 7 cell battery, even then it runs hot.
TRUE!! My nephew has a XL5, he bought a 4200 9.6v battery, he's now on his third Titan motor. He will be buying the Velineon system like I have.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Always Dreamin

yes, the only reason to use 9.6 volts on a motor is if you just wana say u did. no long term usage there. tell ur nephew that he should get a mamba for not much more.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:26 PM
wasting money

How much more? I got my Velineon for $150 new. What kind of voltage does a mamba handle?
Old 10-06-2007, 05:31 PM
scheibler

my bad guys...I changed my order and got the 8.4v 3600mah battery. thanks! im still trying to decide on gears though for torque/wheelies with the bigger tires and 8.4v batt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.