Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

OFFICAL PEDE THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:08 AM
traxxaspede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICAL PEDE THREAD

looks good! what tires are you running?

and would a 14x2 540 size motor work with the XL-5 even though the XL-5's limit for 540 size is 15t?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:44 AM
calvino

I am looking at a car capable of going though grass easily for a friends kid.  He is a real newbe when it comes to driving so knowing how tough the pede is .  How capable is the XL-5 version in grass?  I am thinking since it is prety tall it should do a prety good job without problems, is this idea right or wrong.  Just wanted to know what you guys had to say. I was also thinking to make it easier on the motor in the grass of gearing it down, I plugged into the RCU gearing calculator the drivetrain specs and panicked when I saw it was almost  1 motor RPM > 1.5 tire RPM (nice and hard on the motor).  Just wanted to get some other opinions on it.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Orion1024

The Stampede runs fine in grass no problem, but as you guessed you will need to gear down substantially.  I think a 15T pinion works well for offroad and will keep the motor temps in a safe range.  With this gearing you'll probably see low to mid 20mph, but that's what you need to do if you expect any sort of motor life.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a new XL-5 Stampede.

You don't need to gear down at all from stock for grass running. Just don't use the extra pinion gear that is provided; that is for high speed running on pavement or very smooth dirt.

Running through grass on the XL-5 Stampede with a 3600 mAh 6 cell pack, I get a motor temp of 142°F. The guideline is under 160°F.

How easily it goes through grass depends on how tall the grass is. The grass I run in is 3-4" high. It cuts top speed by at least 50%, and it doesn't do as well as a 4WD truck would do, but then again, cost was a factor, not only for the truck, but for batteries too. (the 4WD trucks in this league all require two battery packs)

One last thing to note with the XL-5 Stampede is that the included Titan 12T motor is fan-cooled, so it actually runs cooler with more throttle than it does with less.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Redvanmafia

It really depends on the thickness and length of the grass, i put bigger tires on my pede and it runs thru 5 inch grass with ease with brushless im not sure about the titan tho mine died after 2 weeks
Old 05-27-2009, 03:06 PM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

to answer traxxaspede's q, idk but chances are it will make charchol out of you esc.

and thanks, in that shot im running rpm talonz's ond proline road rages, for racing i use the old style trx 2.2 rims and either bowties or gladiator 2's depending on track condition
Old 05-27-2009, 06:01 PM
traxxaspede

do you know of anyone who has modded an XL-5? Maybe I will just get this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCUP8&P=0. because its the only 15t motor tower has in stock with bearings. Do you know if I could put the bearings from that motor into this motor http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJAK2&P=7? I also have the can from this motor http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJAJ6&P=7 so I think the parts would be interchangeable, and that has bearings. Is everything the same between the SV2 and the SV2BB motors besides the ballbearings?

nevermind all the. just checked and they have this in stock http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJAJ4&P=7. I'll proably order it toaday.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Redvanmafia

At the moment, im trying to design a stampede roll cage. im tired of ripping bodys off and wrecking bodys, i want to just mount it up and forget about it,
Old 05-27-2009, 07:03 PM
traxxaspede

Do you already have a design? I think it would be good to mount the rear on the 4 screw holes that the body mount goes in. and probably the same on the front, and just skip the body mounts so they dont break or stick up. What material are you using?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:13 PM
calvino

Thanks alot guys .  I was tinkering with the RCU gearing calculator and figured out a 14T was "best" but heck, the person learning is a newbie, but hey if it keeps the motor alive a little longer.  I do have to say the stock motor is prety lousy.  The only problem I may see with it is the tires, since the talon is a really "flat tire," well see how it does, the backyard does have a little dirt and concrete .  I think he will also love the waterproof "ness" of the car .  Will keep you guys posted on what happens, hope he likes the car.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:30 PM
FieroMan121

maybe you could get a few pieces of like 2-3mm aluminum and pop-rivet it together and cross brace it
Old 05-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Flux Driver

Here's my situation. I used to use the stock servo and servo saver. Had to change the servo saver now and then but overall it was alright.

Then one of the gears stripped. I got the replacements but also got the Hitec 645mg.

Used a Mid size Kimbrough servo saver with the Hitech 645mg. Used the adapter labeled H. It stripped and lost tooth traction. Switched to the adapter labeled A I think it was. It was a tighter fit and worked perfectly.

It worked for a long time. Didn't have to think about it.

Then I had a high speed freak crash into a rock. Just a random thing. A rock that wasn't supposed to be there. It was at a home made track at some random piece of land and some dirt biker must have kicked up the rocks onto a smooth area.

The adapter stripped.

Tried the large size Kimbrough. All the adapters kept stripping.

Went back to the Traxxas servo and saver. Adapter 1 fits but keeps slipping and stripping. Even in normal driving on a parking lot.

None of the stores have the mid sized Kimbrough servo saver. I ordered three from Tower Hobbies but have to wait until they arrive.

Here are my questions. I think they are specific for the Stampede because the servo savers I saw on the Rustler and Slash looked different as far as I could tell. But I never had either of those before.

-What is the best servo saver to use for the Hitec 645mg?

-The Hitec has more steering range. Could pulling to the left or right all the way be straining the servo saver adapter?

-If so, should I use my Futaba 3PM radio to turn down the steering range a little?

-When steering and hitting impact from offroad terrain, does the spring in the servo saver actually contract bounce back like a shock?

-Would it be safe to use the circular piece that comes with the Hitec 645mg instead of a servo saver? I'd really like to solve this issue andnot have to fix the adapter or steering trim every minute.

-What other servo savers should I use with the Hitec 645mg?

-Is there a way to use glue or something between the adapter and servogear that goes into the adapter?(the shaft I think)

Update: I put a large Kimbrough saver but I'm not sure how long it will last. I have one more adapter labeled H, which means Hitec I assume. It fits but not super tight. I put the steering range on my Futaba 3PM back to 100% and went to the EPA and adjusted left and right individually. I did this to prevent the front left wheel from turning that last bit where it turns more than the right wheel. It's down to 60% and the other side I think is 80 something percent. So they're both turning the same on both sides. I did that hopefully to prevent full steering range strain on the servo saver if that is what was happening. And also because I had to adjust the steering trim when installing the saver, which made it steering more on one side than the other.

Anyone come across this issue before?

I still would like to know which servo savers are the absolute best for this. I've searched past posts but come across all kinds of answers and most are large Kimbrough savers which are stripping on me.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Orion1024

ORIGINAL: calvino

Thanks alot guys . I was tinkering with the RCU gearing calculator and figured out a 14T was "best" but heck, the person learning is a newbie, but hey if it keeps the motor alive a little longer. I do have to say the stock motor is prety lousy. The only problem I may see with it is the tires, since the talon is a really "flat tire," well see how it does, the backyard does have a little dirt and concrete . I think he will also love the waterproof "ness" of the car . Will keep you guys posted on what happens, hope he likes the car.
Gearing down to a 15T, possibly 16T will definitely make your motor last a lot longer. I wouldn't even run it until it's been geared down. There's been way too many people posting about cooked Titan motors in a matter of weeks, and this is almost for sure the cause. I've used the Titan motors for years now and they always last me 3 to 4 months typically. Yes, you're going to really love being able to run out in the rain, through puddles, etc. with impunity. That's why I got a waterproof Stampede. Before I switched to brushless on my Rustler it was waterproof as well and I VERY quickly missed it.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Flux Driver

I used to have a Stampede XL-5 and went through a few Titan motors. It's normal. They're like disposable items.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:57 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: Orion1024

ORIGINAL: calvino

Thanks alot guys . I was tinkering with the RCU gearing calculator and figured out a 14T was "best" but heck, the person learning is a newbie, but hey if it keeps the motor alive a little longer. I do have to say the stock motor is prety lousy. The only problem I may see with it is the tires, since the talon is a really "flat tire," well see how it does, the backyard does have a little dirt and concrete . I think he will also love the waterproof "ness" of the car . Will keep you guys posted on what happens, hope he likes the car.
Gearing down to a 15T, possibly 16T will definitely make your motor last a lot longer. I wouldn't even run it until it's been geared down. There's been way too many people posting about cooked Titan motors in a matter of weeks, and this is almost for sure the cause. I've used the Titan motors for years now and they always last me 3 to 4 months typically. Yes, you're going to really love being able to run out in the rain, through puddles, etc. with impunity. That's why I got a waterproof Stampede. Before I switched to brushless on my Rustler it was waterproof as well and I VERY quickly missed it.
Lol, Iwish it was for me but... you hit the nail on the head with the motors cooking, with traxxas and their stupid gearing... bybye moto. Don't want to give a newbie a bad taste of RC. Should start digging through my stuff to find a pack or two that will work pending he likes the car (Ithink he should )

Old 05-28-2009, 01:17 AM
Orion1024

Well, if you've got any spare parts on hand you could get a 'roller' on eBay for $35 and build it up a bit at a time...that's how I got mine.  In the meantime, I'm sure there will be some 'share' time in there!   Forgot to mention...if you do change the pinion just make sure the gear mesh is set properly.  I find the spot where the spur gear gets closest to the pinion, set it there, and leave just enough of a gap so the teeth do not touch.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:20 AM
calvino

Yep, ive become a meshing master with my truggy and my 18T, nothing like the good old paper trick for those smaller gears, works EVERY time for me .  Will be seeing the kid on friday so I (hope) to get some more info from him and big thing is, what the heck is his budget.  IF he can get a stampede, I am thinking of these two upgrades:

14-16T Pinion

RPM bumper

Old 05-28-2009, 08:13 AM
FieroMan121

@flux

wow, that was a heck of a read, the rusty/slash/pede/bandit all use the same one. and yes, id adjust the throw on the servo, it kept happening to me as well until i got the dx2.0 and adjusted it and with exception for one time have had no problems with the servo saver
Old 05-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Orion1024
Yes, you're going to really love being able to run out in the rain, through puddles, etc. with impunity. That's why I got a waterproof Stampede. Before I switched to brushless on my Rustler it was waterproof as well and I VERY quickly missed it.
That is good to know. I'm thinking about maybe going brushless in the future, and will probably stick to a system that is waterproof.The motors should be no big deal. Associated/LRP ESCs are advertised as waterproof, as are the new Velineons.

Anyone know if the lower priced Associated/LRP brushless combos come with sensor leads? Tower says they are sensored, but don't show the sensor leads...
Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Flux Driver

ORIGINAL: FieroMan121

@flux

wow, that was a heck of a read, the rusty/slash/pede/bandit all use the same one. and yes, id adjust the throw on the servo, it kept happening to me as well until i got the dx2.0 and adjusted it and with exception for one time have had no problems with the servo saver
Sounds good.That's what I have set up on my remaining large Kimbrough servo saver and labelHinsert adapter. Before when another stripped, Ididn't adjust the steering other than the trim to keep the Stampede going straight. Same with the mid sized Kimbrough but maybe the smaller size protected itself from a steering set up with no EPA adjustments.

Now I'll just see how it goes with the set up Ihave now.

Also I edited the long post and fixed the parts where some words are stuck together.Something weird happened when I copy and pasted it from the Traxxas forum where I also posted this.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:08 AM
FieroMan121

on closer revew i was wrong, the bandit, rusty, and slash use a different ss

Old 05-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Flux Driver

I thought they did. The one I saw on a friends Slash looked different.

Hopefully with the EPA adjustments I'll get the same results you did.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 AM
fusebmx13

The rustler, bandit, and slash all use the same SS. The pede uses a different one because there are more mounting holes. You need the extra holes for the turnbuckles as any pede owner can see just by flipping the truck over. The pede is a pretty simple truck . That is why I like it so much. However I always broke servo savers on my pede, never on my slash or rustler.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:56 AM
calvino

Just currious how you break a ss on a pede???
Old 05-28-2009, 12:26 PM
TIGER76

SS as in servo saver? its designed to break before it damages your servo so its defo doing its job there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.