Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

deans plugs are awesome!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Access

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: deans plugs are awesome!!!!!

For the caps, having bypass caps on just one motor defeats the whole purpose. Just get some .1uF or .01uF 50V ceramics from your local radio shack like he suggested, or go www.digikey.com and get them through the mail if you don't have a radio shack.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:24 AM
R/C fan-addict

already got some from tower, so I guess I just solder between the two motor tabs this little capacitor or do I solder it on to the case using more than one capacitor (I have 4 in total)
Old 03-03-2006, 01:24 AM
Elmo6s
My Feedback: (1)

I've even had a Dean's melt on me (a while back in fairness) - they're just hard to get used to, once you get good at it (5-6 of them) it isn't too bad. I've probabely soldered at least a few hundred of these plugs it gets easier every time, just hang in there and it will work out!

I still don't think I'm up to the task of soldering military circuit boards!
Old 03-03-2006, 01:30 AM
-Inverted-

I still don't think I'm up to the task of soldering military circuit boards!
LOL
Old 03-03-2006, 12:33 PM
KyleR

ORIGINAL: R/C fan-addict

already got some from tower, so I guess I just solder between the two motor tabs this little capacitor or do I solder it on to the case using more than one capacitor (I have 4 in total)
I've usually seen it recommended one from positive to can, one from negative to can, and one from positive to negative.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:02 PM
dba72

ORIGINAL: R/C fan-addict
well I finished soldering so yeah and I did solder them to the correct tabs it's just they I guess melted a tad and caused them to not line up perfectly with the other plug which makes it hard to plug in or out. I will be running TWO motors in the emaxx but one will not have a capacito and the other will. Think this should work, yeah I worded it sorta confusingly...
I did the same thing when I got my first set of deans. Just cut one wire at a time, and replace the plug if need be.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:18 AM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

Just like the dude said......get the power pole connectors(Duratrax). They are sooooo much easier to solder and more cost effective. You do all your soldering BEFORE you put anything plastic on them.....and no need to use shrink wrap. Besides, their silver plated....which is one of the least resistive materials to electrical current and corrosive resistant. Never had to replace them because of corrosion(even after using them in my boat...and it gets wet) and I haven't ruined ANY of them due to soldering mishaps....of course, I've always been a good solderer, too. Even a noobie couldn't melt/ruin one. If they did....they were soldering the wrong thing. I've been able to disassemble them(with a small, small screwdriver) and re-solder them to a different charger/battery/car/etc. without problems. I think deans plugs are overrated.....however, they sure beat the factory connectors by a long shot.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:30 AM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

oh....and one more thing.....with a deans plug....you have to orient the female plug OPPOSITE of the male plug(car/charger has male plugs and batteries have female plugs). This is not the case with power pole connectors.....just plug positive to positive and negative to negative. But let's say that maybe you weren't paying attention when soldering(my friend did this)...no problem, just hook black to red and red to black....these things are soooo versatile!! My friend(who soldered his batteries backwards) can still plug the battery to the car/charger even though the colors on the plastic don't match up. I've even run my car with a charger before....not that you would NEED to do something like that. I really don't see what's so special about deans....????!?!??!!!
Old 03-04-2006, 04:52 PM
R/C fan-addict

ok thanks for the info but I've already soldered 20 deans plugs so I am not going to cut them off and solder powerpoles on em. I was going to cut them off if they were as hard to put in as the first time but over time they lossened up.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:10 PM
-Inverted-

I really don't see what's so special about deans....????!?!??!!!
I really dont see what's so special about power-poles.