Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Exceed Sunfire buggy

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:57 PM
hockeyhead019

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Exceed Sunfire buggy

hey you guys that own one of the electric ones. how does the motor compare to a stock 20T?? what does it mean when it says that the esc is only one speed?? should i invest in a new motor and esc or is the stock one fine??

thanks
Old 12-06-2007, 04:11 PM
pede_187

I've heard that the stock esc burns up easily. Redcat sells a BL system for only $120. That would be a major speed increase.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:08 PM
uncle everett

Get two of them! I'm sick of all the name brand guys! Get it, hop it up, and smoke them with the generic truck. Get rid of the electronics and up grade to Novak or Castle Creations. Get a lipo and live the RC life you really want to live!

Livlrge
Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 PM
NjBasher

well for cheap as they go i would say there like china brand junk in my opinion. but hey another mans junk is another mans treasure.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:39 PM
roadrashracing

I am getting one and will let you know how it works.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:45 PM
noname994

I have one but you the esc is always burning up! Until I got the brushless system they sell
It easilly hits like 40 MPH! Also you can't change the brushes on the stock motor[&:].
Old 10-31-2008, 03:17 AM
wtaylor3

I seen that they also offer a exceed sunfire that comes with the brushless motor and esc from the factory for around $160.....woul dit be better to buy the regular sunfire and upgrade or to trust the factory installed bl setup? I watched a video of it and it was doing around 40 mph which is all I need for the tight area I'll be running it in.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:34 AM
wtaylor3

another deciding factor is that the pro version is out of stock for 1-2 weeks and it takes about two weeks for the mail since I am deployed with the army and so it would be cutting it close to my leave dates and I also cannot find a brushless setup specifically designed for the sunfire and as I am new to electrics I have no idea what to look for in a brushless/esc combo
Old 11-16-2008, 05:10 PM
TornadoGuy

Yeah, I think it is very similar to the RedCatRacing Tornado epx.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:33 AM
subcaptian

Well, I've had one of these for a while and am getting a mamba max pro 5700 for it! Get ready to be smoted, name brands!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:38 AM
theunleet

It looks like a hunk of junk knockoff of redcat. Oh look they offer a pro version with a brushless setup pre-installed, that one will burn up faster than the normal version probably. I can't believe they would ripoff redcat like that and then to top it all off, undersell it. First time you go bashing with that thing it will probably break so many parts....
Old 07-27-2010, 03:59 AM
TheyDontWantMusic

ORIGINAL: theunleet

It looks like a hunk of junk knockoff of redcat. Oh look they offer a pro version with a brushless setup pre-installed, that one will burn up faster than the normal version probably. I can't believe they would ripoff redcat like that and then to top it all off, undersell it. First time you go bashing with that thing it will probably break so many parts....
its posts like this that make it very obvious that you're an idiot.

they are the same car.

they are sold under all sorts of names.

HSP, Himoto, Wind Hobby...

I have a buggy, and for the $AU159 I paid for the brushless version, complete with small 3s lipo, its fantastic!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:32 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: alexchapman

I've got one. It does looks an awful lot like the Redcat Tornado. The first one that I got (http://www.nitrorcx.com) was broken, but the replacement one they sent works fine. It's a lot of fun for $100. Parts are modular (servos, receiver, ESC, axle hubs are 12mm hex). Be careful of the battery, though. Mine got really hot the first time I ran it and I had to re-solder the leads. Also, the instructions are incomplete. Does anyone here who has one know how to set the speeds on the ESC or how to turn off reverse?
that esc looks like a clone of a futaba mc230, try using the instructions for the mc230 to set it.(pretty standard esc setup procedure)i don't think you can turn off reverse on that esc.
it's also probably only for very mild motors, 19t or higher.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:08 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That buggy is the same one sold by Redcat as the Tornado. It's also the same chassis and running gear as the Vortex, Volcano and Lightning cars and trucks. I don't have the buggy but I do have a Vortec EPX. I picked it up used at a LHS for $50. It was well worn and you could tell it had been beat pretty hard but for $50 I gave it a shot. It's worth noting that the truck was 100% stock when I got it so all the stock pieces seem to live for a pretty long life. When I got it home I ran it around for a a few packs before tearing it down.

During tear down the only problems I found where a worn Pinion and spur and a few bearing that where a little rough and the tires where completely gone. Everything else was in great condition. I was prepared for more damage and broken stuff but all was well....

I put mine back together with a XL5 ESC and a speed Gems 15T. Got a stock Spur and some replacement wheels and tires from Redcat in less than a week. So far the only thing that has broken is the front bumper and that was 100% my fault. I was running in in doors in the warehouse and hit a pallet rack at 30+ mph. Other wise this has been a great truck. I think you'll be happy with that buggy for the price. No it's not a racer and no I wouldn't try to jump it over your house. If you act like a normal person it should last you a long time.

There seems to be an awful lot of people on here that have nothing better to do than bash a product that most of them have never seen let alone own... In all honesty if you don't own a product or at least have a fair bit of time using the product you should really keep your opinions to yourself.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:04 AM
JoshJ

Im thinking about getting one of these. Mainly I want to get a very cheap buggy, and do upgrades myself. Meaning making my own parts. And for only 100 bucks! I LOVE the looks of the buggys, and this one has gotta be my favorite. Its between this one or the 1/16. Might be the mini, because my bros got a Mini-T and needs someone to race.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:02 AM
TheyDontWantMusic