Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rustler VXL or Losi Speed-T?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:24 PM
sloppyG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rustler VXL or Losi Speed-T?

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

it's not going to be as nice as a xxxt-mf2 or xxxt-cr
Neither is a Rustler.

i agree with you, and even a "value engineered" losi will be a better truck than the traxxas
Old 01-27-2008, 09:20 AM
ASYSTEMERROR

my whole rc garage is mostly losi and traxxas and my 2 cents is with losi ! i feel the traxxas is strong but like said who wants a crappy radio at 70+ a speed T in the hands of a minor is a box of parts but so is a rustler 3mins later ! both cars are nice but older drivers might pick the losi cause they can keep it out of the wall. speed t just may be better for drivers that has past the bash stage and like drag racing like ME !
Old 01-27-2008, 09:23 AM
brushlessboy16

i never had a problem with traxxas radios laggin, nice to hear from you ASE
Old 01-27-2008, 12:04 PM
triggeraa

Speed T looks very fragile. Time will tell. Might end up with a bag of broken parts after the first crash.[:-] Never had problems with my vxl's radio equipment. Works great, even at 60+ mph.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Always Dreamin

I have had no problems with my VXL. Aside from the button getting stuck, and my motor wire comming out.. Traxxas is fixing it right now. I'm really liking there CS!
Old 01-27-2008, 01:47 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: triggeraa

Speed T looks very fragile. Time will tell. Might end up with a bag of broken parts after the first crash.[:-] Never had problems with my vxl's radio equipment. Works great, even at 60+ mph.
have you ever owned a losi?? ok if not well just to let you in a secret, losi's are not fragile, there pretty durable. not like a rusty but they are durable. but just my 2 cents i rather have a truck that can handle then a truck that cant, especially when it comes down to speed.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:08 PM
ASYSTEMERROR

You guy's got it all WRONG here's where things differ ! i stay in the city i ran my mt2 out front my job with my synth jr radio and i couldn't go 100 feet without fear of the car stopping and getting ran over. now the same radio out front my house or on the side of my mom's house no problem. i just got a dx2 and i took it to work with me and tried the same run and it was like night and day. if there's no signals around to warrant upgrading then i wouldn't do it but i don't want to go somewhere new like always and find out my radio will not cut it cause it's cheap. i never had a problem from traxxas radio's but i never had a traxxas that was fast.
Vxl system around 175$
Spec built vxl roller around 125$ to 175$
lipo 3s 5000 mah 150$ to 200$

and all you want to spend on the radio is 45$ to 50$ bucks
Old 01-27-2008, 02:11 PM
ASYSTEMERROR

BB what you workin on ?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:31 AM
[email protected]

so you are saying if you are a beginer get a rustler.I want somthing that i can race on a dirt coarse is the losi's ground clearence not high enough for a track.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:40 AM
triggeraa

All rcs serve as a base for me. I modify to suit my tastes/needs accordingly. I have never owned anything that was kept stock. The VXL has a huge advantage in after market support as well as customer support.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:30 AM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

so you are saying if you are a beginer get a rustler.I want somthing that i can race on a dirt coarse is the losi's ground clearence not high enough for a track.
if you have any plans to race the rusty is not for you, it handles like a tank. anybody and everybody will tell you to either buy a Losi XXXT-CR or a associated T4 if you want to race.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:24 PM
[email protected]

OK but is it possible to but a brushless system in the xxx-cr losi and xxx-t cr and the t-4
Old 01-28-2008, 04:42 PM
cheech4

OK but is it possible to but a brushless system in the xxx-cr losi and xxx-t cr and the t-4
sure why not, i have a 50 mph mamba 6900 brushless in my losi xxxt mf2.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:37 PM
[email protected]

ok cool but do the xxx-cr losi and xxx-t cr losi come ready to run
Old 01-28-2008, 11:39 PM
szechuanpork

No, of course not. You'll need at a motor, esc?, radio, batteries, at least. Losi's cost a lot but there's not much tricking to do.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:35 AM
brushlessbandit

I agree! Better not state your opinion or your liable to be bombarded with conflicting remarks!
Thought this was supposed to be fun![&o]
Old 01-29-2008, 02:09 PM
[email protected]

Does anyone know of a good charger that i can buy that is fast!
Old 01-29-2008, 02:11 PM
[email protected]

Old 01-29-2008, 04:27 PM
haole

use the search.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:16 PM
CooterShooter

I would just like to share a personal experience with this topic.
I have a XXX-T with all of the graphite upgrades and run the Novak GTB 3.5 brusless system. I have had this set-up for over 9 months now. VERY FAST. Basically the Speed-T before the Speed-T was a wet dream. I had even modified a pair axles to run the Jato Annacondas'.
My neighbor has a Rusty and purchased the same 3.5 set-up after being floored by the performance of mine.
While the Rusty is over all more durable there have been multiple down falls to the Traxxas that include major down negatives in performance and some durability in areas other than the chasis. The gear diff has been more than a headache to say the least and has gone through several replacements (I still have my original ball diff) and still does not reach near the performance levels of the Losi. While the chasis and suspension components have been more durable they have needed replacement with RPM upgrades due to screws stripping out and becoming overly distorted. Also the transmission does not offer as long of run times and reaches higher temps both on the motor as well as battery. We're running 4 - 6K mah Lipo.
While I have heard from many that the graphite hop-ups are not durable and are brittle. This has not been my experience and I have . The Losi is not the basher that the Rusty is, but there is massive performance loss whether you are on the street or track which is even more obvious. I run my XXX-T and Revo at least once or twice a week on sizable off-road tracks for a minimum of 3 hours at a time and the Rusty will get it's lunch served every single time.
Buy a Rusty for your kid. If your better at running into things rather than around them and jumping over them - buy a Rusty.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:40 PM
vdubman

NOT FOR SURE WHERE EVERYONE GETS THE RUSTLER IS HEAVY I HAVE A XXX-T AND RC10T4 AND SEVERAL EVADERS AND I JUST BOUGHT A VXL TO SEE HOW IT PERFORMS AND ITS NOT MUCH HEAVYER IF ANY AND THE DAM THING FLYS. ITS A BASHER FOR SURE I HIT A TREE ABOUT 45+ AND SEEN 2 TIRE LEAVE THE TRUCK ALL IN ALL ONLY COST $12 TO FIX IM PRETTY HAPPY WITH THE VXL.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Matt_M

ORIGINAL: CooterShooter

I have a XXX-T with all of the graphite upgrades and run the Novak GTB 3.5 brusless system. I have had this set-up for over 9 months now. VERY FAST. Basically the Speed-T before the Speed-T was a wet dream. I had even modified a pair axles to run the Jato Annacondas'.
My neighbor has a Rusty and purchased the same 3.5 set-up after being floored by the performance of mine.
While the Rusty is over all more durable there have been multiple down falls to the Traxxas that include major down negatives in performance and some durability in areas other than the chasis. The gear diff has been more than a headache to say the least and has gone through several replacements (I still have my original ball diff) and still does not reach near the performance levels of the Losi. While the chasis and suspension components have been more durable they have needed replacement with RPM upgrades due to screws stripping out and becoming overly distorted. Also the transmission does not offer as long of run times and reaches higher temps both on the motor as well as battery. We're running 4 - 6K mah Lipo.
While I have heard from many that the graphite hop-ups are not durable and are brittle. This has not been my experience and I have . The Losi is not the basher that the Rusty is, but there is massive performance loss whether you are on the street or track which is even more obvious. I run my XXX-T and Revo at least once or twice a week on sizable off-road tracks for a minimum of 3 hours at a time and the Rusty will get it's lunch served every single time.
Buy a Rusty for your kid. If your better at running into things rather than around them and jumping over them - buy a Rusty.
Well said. I try to tell these kids things like you do, but they are narrow-minded and default to Traxxas "bashability" as some overall dominating factor if you do not race. That is completely false, and I enjoy the entertainment they provide by giving me their thoughts, while they also have no experience with better vehicles. Traxxas is their choice because they are broke kids, let's face it.

Anyone who is experienced knows that bashing can be done to great levels without breaking anything on a so called "weak" truck. In fact, I don't believe in weak trucks. I believe in poor drivers. Poor drivers need Traxxas, and I think that's how it will remain for a long time.

Traxxas hit a jackpot on this idea because most drivers out there are really not very good. Maybe 10-15% of total. They know the good upgrades do not matter, because their users will not take advantage of the parts anyways. Ask yourself, how often does Traxxas update and bring to you new design features of their chassis'? Almost never. The e-maxx was the last re-design. Traxxas works on the the notion of 20 year old parts designs with new power plants.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:37 PM
haole

ORIGINAL: Matt_M

Well said. I try to tell these kids things like you do, but they are narrow-minded and default to Traxxas "bashability" as some overall dominating factor if you do not race. That is completely false, and I enjoy the entertainment they provide by giving me their thoughts, while they also have no experience with better vehicles. Traxxas is their choice because they are broke kids, let's face it.

Anyone who is experienced knows that bashing can be done to great levels without breaking anything on a so called "weak" truck. In fact, I don't believe in weak trucks. I believe in poor drivers. Poor drivers need Traxxas, and I think that's how it will remain for a long time.

Traxxas hit a jackpot on this idea because most drivers out there are really not very good. Maybe 10-15% of total. They know the good upgrades do not matter, because their users will not take advantage of the parts anyways. Ask yourself, how often does Traxxas update and bring to you new design features of their chassis'? Almost never. The e-maxx was the last re-design. Traxxas works on the the notion of 20 year old parts designs with new power plants.

You two sound like grumpy old (maybe?) men!!! There are a wide variety of ages in this forum so your probably argueing with 13 year olds half the time. Traxxas might not offer the best entry models by your standards but eveyone has their personal preferences. Traxxas models are good for those new to the hobby... allong with many other entry level models from other brands. Traxxas just happens to be the most popular at the moment and most LHS's stock traxxas parts etc
Old 02-20-2008, 09:01 PM
CooterShooter

I don't understand the grumpy old man spout... but o.k.
I just thought the topic was an interesting one and have experience with these two trucks side by side.
I'm not downing Traxxas. I own a Revo and it is an amazing truck that is fun as they come to drive. I was only aiming to point out a couple of the major draw backs to the Rustler as opposed to the Losi (which is the topic of the thread).
My over all point is that if you have ANY intention on showing up to a track even if it's the one behind someones' house, you will be much better off with the XXX-T on any day.

Grumpy...??? wow.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Matt_M

I don't understand the grumpy old man spout... but o.k.
I just thought the topic was an interesting one and have experience with these two trucks side by side.
I'm not downing Traxxas. I own a Revo and it is an amazing truck that is fun as they come to drive. I was only aiming to point out a couple of the major draw backs to the Rustler as opposed to the Losi (which is the topic of the thread).
My over all point is that if you have ANY intention on showing up to a track even if it's the one behind someones' house, you will be much better off with the XXX-T on any day.

Grumpy...??? wow.
Grumpy is what you get when you try to have an educated discussion at this forum, and all you hear is "Traxxas, Traxxas, Traxxas, Traxxas, Traxxas, Traxxas..." from 13 year old kids. Look at this forum's topics right now. It's pathetic. It's drowned out and the sense of professionalism on the r/c side of electrics is all but wiped clean. You guys are right, where the hell did all the men go?

Anyways, I'll end my grumpy rant and say that we really need a Traxxas electric forum here to clean this place up. Something in me still keeps me hanging around, but the threads of string holding me are getting weaker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.