Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rustler VXL or Losi Speed-T?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:36 PM
triggeraa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rustler VXL or Losi Speed-T?

ORIGINAL: CooterShooter

I don't understand the grumpy old man spout... but o.k.
I just thought the topic was an interesting one and have experience with these two trucks side by side.
I'm not downing Traxxas. I own a Revo and it is an amazing truck that is fun as they come to drive. I was only aiming to point out a couple of the major draw backs to the Rustler as opposed to the Losi (which is the topic of the thread).
My over all point is that if you have ANY intention on showing up to a track even if it's the one behind someones' house, you will be much better off with the XXX-T on any day.

Grumpy...??? wow.
We are talking VXL Rustler here. If your imaginary buddy installed a bl system like yours it must have not been a vxl.[:-] Big difference.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:40 PM
triggeraa

ORIGINAL: Matt_M

I just thought the topic was an interesting one and have experience with these two trucks side by side.
I'm not downing Traxxas. I own a Revo and it is an amazing truck that is fun as they come to drive. I was only aiming to point out a couple of the major draw backs to the Rustler as opposed to the Losi (which is the topic of the thread).
My over all point is that if you have ANY intention on showing up to a track even if it's the one behind someones' house, you will be much better off with the XXX-T on any day.

Grumpy...??? wow.
Grumpy is what you get when you try to have an educated discussion at this forum, and all you hear is "Traxxas, Traxxas, Traxxas, Traxxas, Traxxas, Traxxas..." from 13 year old kids. Look at this forum's topics right now. It's pathetic. It's drowned out and the sense of professionalism on the r/c side of electrics is all but wiped clean. You guys are right, where the hell did all the men go?

Anyways, I'll end my grumpy rant and say that we really need a Traxxas electric forum here to clean this place up. Something in me still keeps me hanging around, but the threads of string holding me are getting weaker.

Not just 13 year old like Traxxas. I am 41 and can easily afford any rc in the world. Several actually. While i have been into rc since around '95 and owned several makes and models, I still bought the VXL. and love it.....
Old 02-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Always Dreamin

What do you expect? The vxl has to be the most popular car out right now.

Whats so bad about 13 year olds liking Traxxas? I don't see whats so bad about them, sure better cars are out there..
Old 02-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Matt_M

Well...

Honda Civics are probably the most popular car for kids to modify.

But try having a Civic/Corvette mixed owner convention and see what happens. I'm sure you will see more old grumpy men than just one.

Now this is that convention, occurring non-stop.

I'm not trying to outright bash all Traxxas owners. I'm trying to point out that this forum has lost its gusto due to Traxxas owners. That's all. I think the next logical step for the moderators at this forum is to take note of this, and give the Traxxas people their own electric forum. I think it would clean the place up, and get rid of the tensions. It just seems to be going downhill.

I didn't want to drag this on, and I shouldn't have even said anything to begin with. Heck, that's the child in me showing its face. But I will admit, at times it's hard to control, and I can't help but speak my angry ramblings.

So I'm sorry, but it feels better to vent and express my feelings. I hope you all don't hold my opinions against me.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 PM
triggeraa

Understandable. My current project has parts from HPI, Traxxas and MRC. They all get along and so should we. I also own a mercedes benz, ford mustang, chevy suburban and nissan altima. I am not brand specific. I believe every manufacturer has their good and bad models. It's what you make of them after you buy.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:57 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: triggeraa

Grumpy...??? wow.
We are talking VXL Rustler here. If your imaginary buddy installed a bl system like yours it must have not been a vxl.[:-] Big difference.

um, adding adjustable camber links and a wheelie bar does not a big difference make......
(yeah, there's a different servo too woo hoo and a steel idler, and diff case)

your VXL is the same truck as an XL-5 which is the same truck as the XL-1 which is the same truck that used to have a MSC before you were born

I have a rustler, and it's fun. but it's not as good as newer models by other companies

Old 02-21-2008, 08:18 AM
haole

Grumpy...??? wow.
Grumpy is what you get when you try to have an educated discussion at this forum, and all you hear is "Traxxas, Traxxas, Traxxas, Traxxas, Traxxas, Traxxas..." from 13 year old kids. Look at this forum's topics right now. It's pathetic. It's drowned out and the sense of professionalism on the r/c side of electrics is all but wiped clean. You guys are right, where the hell did all the men go?

Anyways, I'll end my grumpy rant and say that we really need a Traxxas electric forum here to clean this place up. Something in me still keeps me hanging around, but the threads of string holding me are getting weaker.
X10 on the Traxxas electric forum. I think averyone would agree with you there... 98% of the topics in this forum lately inclue "VXL". Now if someone could get this to actually happen that would GREAT!!! Maybe create an electric Losi, HPI, Duratrax etc forums too
Old 02-21-2008, 09:26 AM
triggeraa

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

Grumpy...??? wow.

um, adding adjustable camber links and a wheelie bar does not a big difference make......

your VXL is the same truck as an XL-5 which is the same truck as the XL-1 which is the same truck that used to have a MSC before you were born

I have a rustler, and it's fun. but it's not as good as newer models by other companies

So non of the upgrades you mention make a difference huh? [:-] OK, if you say so. By the way, I used to own rc with MSC...back in the day.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Edumakated

The Traxxas hating on this board is almost as bad as the 13 year old fanboys. I have the VXL and I love it. The bottomline is Traxxas hit a homerun with an easy to use car that allows people to get some real power out of their car with a reliable brushless system. It is the fastest thing on the market right now. Faster than the xxx-t or the HPI version. If the others were faster, you best believe Losi and HPI would be claiming so. The speed-t looks nice and I probably would have bought one had it been out when the VXL came out.

I can admit the Rustler VXL handles like crap, but the car isn't designed for handling. It is designed for going fast in a straight line. If you want a car to race on a track, get a real track designed car with track usable power. 3s Lipo in these cars is absolutely worthless on a track because the cars are too fast and have too much torque. You will not be able to get any kind of traction. You basically will just do donuts while some slow truck with radio shack batteries blows by you. The speed-t probably handles just as bad as the Rustler because when cars go this fast, there is no handling except trying to keep from disintegerating on impact with a curb at 60 mph. All the people blabbing about handling obviously have never driven these cars at this kind of speed. They are practically useless for anything except popping wheelies and going straight. You try to turn a two wheel drive stadium truck at 60+mph and all you are going to get is a 50 yard cartwheel and parts flying everywhere. I don't care if you have Losi, Associated or whatever else other supposedly race bred car.

If you want to talk about handling, then you might have an argument IF you are discussing cars going around a track at 10-15 mph with straight speeds of 30 or so. The VXL, Speed-T aren't designed for that...

Bottomline, get what you like...
Old 02-21-2008, 12:03 PM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

With the popularity of 1/8 scale there's plenty of tracks which can accomodate the speeds you would see with Kv motors as high as 4600 on 3S LiPo or 5700 running 6 cell or 2S LiPo in a 1/10 scale. Actually you would be slow and out-gunned on those tracks without brushless or a good low turn mod motor. I imagine 4600 Kv on 2S LiPo would be a very managable setup...but then that would probably be right around that 30-35 MPH straightaway speeds Ed mentioned.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Matt_M

ORIGINAL: Edumakated

I can admit the Rustler VXL handles like crap, but the car isn't designed for handling. It is designed for going fast in a straight line. If you want a car to race on a track, get a real track designed car with track usable power. 3s Lipo in these cars is absolutely worthless on a track because the cars are too fast and have too much torque. You will not be able to get any kind of traction. You basically will just do donuts while some slow truck with radio shack batteries blows by you. The speed-t probably handles just as bad as the Rustler because when cars go this fast, there is no handling except trying to keep from disintegerating on impact with a curb at 60 mph. All the people blabbing about handling obviously have never driven these cars at this kind of speed. They are practically useless for anything except popping wheelies and going straight. You try to turn a two wheel drive stadium truck at 60+mph and all you are going to get is a 50 yard cartwheel and parts flying everywhere.
I see that you obviously haven't invested in a quality computerized radio. I have an M11, and you can do anything as far as high-speed steering rates all the way down to traction control and anti-lock braking. So if you can't drive your truck at 60mph without smashing curbs, you simply don't have your truck setup right to be going 60mph.

The statement about 3s being useless on a track is far from the truth. You just have to know how to drive 3s on a track.

The Speed-T and HPI trucks aren't even out yet. However, I would be willing to place money on the Speed-T having far better handling than a Rustler.

I don't care if you have Losi, Associated or whatever else other supposedly race bred car.
Don't disacknowledge the differences. On these levels, they amount to even more.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Edumakated

I can admit the Rustler VXL handles like crap, but the car isn't designed for handling. It is designed for going fast in a straight line. If you want a car to race on a track, get a real track designed car with track usable power. 3s Lipo in these cars is absolutely worthless on a track because the cars are too fast and have too much torque. You will not be able to get any kind of traction. You basically will just do donuts while some slow truck with radio shack batteries blows by you. The speed-t probably handles just as bad as the Rustler because when cars go this fast, there is no handling except trying to keep from disintegerating on impact with a curb at 60 mph. All the people blabbing about handling obviously have never driven these cars at this kind of speed. They are practically useless for anything except popping wheelies and going straight. You try to turn a two wheel drive stadium truck at 60+mph and all you are going to get is a 50 yard cartwheel and parts flying everywhere.
I see that you obviously haven't invested in a quality computerized radio. I have an M11, and you can do anything as far as high-speed steering rates all the way down to traction control and anti-lock braking. So if you can't drive your truck at 60mph without smashing curbs, you simply don't have your truck setup right to be going 60mph.

The statement about 3s being useless on a track is far from the truth. You just have to know how to drive 3s on a track.

The Speed-T and HPI trucks aren't even out yet. However, I would be willing to place money on the Speed-T having far better handling than a Rustler.

I don't care if you have Losi, Associated or whatever else other supposedly race bred car.
Don't disacknowledge the differences. On these levels, they amount to even more.
Actually, I have a Spektrum system so I am very familiar with the adjustments. I also have an RC8. However, I hate to tell you that you are nuts. All one has to do is look at plenty of videos of these cars and ANYONE can see you won't be making any kind of turns unless you are on an open field and have plenty of space to swing the car around. I would love to see you turn a 1/10 rc car at 60+ mph on a normal sized street that is maybe 40 feet wide. You maybe able to turn after you hit the brakes and swing her around at 10 mph. My RC8 is brushless (neu 1512 motor) and will easily do 65+. It handles infinitely better than my Rustler and I ain't making hard turns either at those speeds.

Turn at 60 plus in a stadium truck. What a joke. Do you really think this guy is going to be able to make a hard tight turn at this speed? Give me a break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh6u2j7pAkI
Old 02-21-2008, 01:20 PM
sloppyG

you own an RC8 and understand how that vehicle handles well

I don't understand the perceived benefit of a rustler with it's suspension setup, when there are other options with similar brushless power and more advanced suspensions for similar prices.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Matt_M

Actually, I have a Spektrum system so I am very familiar with the adjustments. I also have an RC8. However, I hate to tell you that you are nuts. All one has to do is look at plenty of videos of these cars and ANYONE can see you won't be making any kind of turns unless you are on an open field and have plenty of space to swing the car around. I would love to see you turn a 1/10 rc car at 60+ mph on a normal sized street that is maybe 40 feet wide. You maybe able to turn after you hit the brakes and swing her around at 10 mph. My RC8 is brushless (neu 1512 motor) and will easily do 65+. It handles infinitely better than my Rustler and I ain't making hard turns either at those speeds.

Turn at 60 plus in a stadium truck. What a joke. Do you really think this guy is going to be able to make a hard tight turn at this speed? Give me a break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh6u2j7pAkI
Wow, if anyone is nuts around here I'm beginning to think it's...

Who in the heck said they were turning their trucks at 60mph at these sharp angles you seem to be hinting at? You need to take a chill pill. I am not claiming we are defying any physics here.

I said that if you are crashing your truck into curbs at 60mph, you obviously don't have it setup right. Sir, in case you don't know it, there are things you can do with your truck at 60mph. And no, you don't just have to go in a straight line at that speed. Inexperienced drivers feed too much input and crash. Any movement is almost too quick of handling for them to react to and things quickly turn erratic and out-of-control. Heck even for a good driver it is tricky. But dialing a radio in allows you to take advantage of the things your truck can do at those speeds, having met the even more important factors of the truck being setup correctly itself first that is.

To say that nothing matters at those speeds is a complete fallacy. Setup matters the MOST at those speeds. It's the difference between whether you can take a 6 degree turn or a 3 degree turn at 60mph while remaining in control. Or a 100% difference in turning ability. Downforce, camber, toe, castor, ride height, diff fluid, and tire compound are among some of the important factors at those speeds.

I would love to see you step into the on-road forum with your attitude about "nothing matters at 60mph" and see what they have to say. They will probably point out that you will need more experience to know what is possible.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:53 PM
CooterShooter

I run my XXX-T on a number of tracks several times a week and to say that these speeds are not usefull other than on the street and in a straight line is completley niave or stated without experience/true knowledge. I'm running my GTB 3.5 with an 86 spur, and 14 pinion. This set-up has given me optimal speed/run-time combo, while not killing my 2c Lipo 4K-6K through massive amp draw (this has cost me several high priced packs). Oh by the way - don't waste your time with Max Amps if you have any intention of really pushing the speed envelope. Anywho, back to the point... I hit speeds of 45+mph on straights with time to slow down and make the turn. The track I run most has an 80' section that allows this. Attacking jumps with this amount power is truly insane and brings on a ton of WOW's from others racing or on-lookers. I pass more people by jumping over them than I can count after coming out of a turn neck and neck. The track is run by an owner of a local hobby shop and the cars/trucks that show up out there are widely varied. I will say that there has yet to be anyone that has shown up with that could come close to the speed that I get. I'm not blowing smoke when I say there hasn't been any competion to date. I'll also say that no one has shown up with a comparable brushless/lipo set-up aside from my buddy with his Rusty version which goes with the topic... VXL vs. Speed-T. The biggest differences from my experience with the two vehicles are the over-all dispositions of the vehicle and trannys, which in my opinion makes all the difference between having the dirty truck in the rear or the clean one out front. The Rusty just can't hook up in the dirt the way XXX does. Or at least I haven't seen it yet under that amount of power. Another way to sum it up is that Losi is able to put the power to the ground and maintain a high level of handling/performance, and the Traxxas delivers the power minus the other two parts in the name of "durability".
Old 02-21-2008, 08:33 PM
CooterShooter

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

Grumpy...??? wow.

I missed this goofball of a comment...
My "imaginary buddy" purchased the same GTB 3.5 and installed it on his Rustler. He has also made upgrades to the truck by replacing all parts compatible with RPM, as well as shocks, springs, turn buckles, tried the Traxxas ball diff (big dissapointment), and numerous other hop ups that I don't recall. My statement is that we have already set our trucks up to do what the Speed-T and VXL do. Through the process of this I can honestly say that we have spent close to equal time and money in dealing with breakage and he has spent far more in overcoming deficiency in handling to do what my Losi does stock. Graphite and Lunsford turnbuckles are my only chasis suspension upgrades. BTW I've snapped multiple titanium turnbuckles and have yet to replace any of my graphite parts in the past 3 months...
Old 03-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Aerospike

Old 07-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Needler56

does the speed t have upgraded metal gears like the vxl? or does it not need it?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Needler56

does the speed t have upgraded metal gears like the vxl? or does it not need it?
Just convert to the ball diff or get the desert truck diff.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Always Dreamin

Just get the Flux and close this thread.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Lilredmachine

Lol, the man above speaks the truth.

The Losi will handle like a dog because it has a locked diff, the Rustler will handle like a dog because it is a Rustler and the same design from 14 years ago when it was originally released, no matter what brushless system they tape to it or turnbuckles they add (no difference if the suspension geometry is broken from the factory).

The Flux has a nice balance between handling and speed and is race ready out of the box. It is a proven durable car in the Firestorm 10t nitro version, which NO ONE i have spoken to has had a problem with parts breakage wise.

Both the Rustler and Speed-T are one trick straight line speed ponies, only having the ability to go very fast for brief periods until they wang a curb or run out of radio range. A Flux out of the box on a 7.4 lipo will run rings around both, on the track, on the road and in general bashing.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Chris_RC

idk if the flux will run circles around the Speed-T on road because that is what the losi was made for.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:47 AM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

Lol, the man above speaks the truth.

The Losi will handle like a dog because it has a locked diff, the Rustler will handle like a dog because it is a Rustler and the same design from 14 years ago when it was originally released, no matter what brushless system they tape to it or turnbuckles they add (no difference if the suspension geometry is broken from the factory).

The Flux has a nice balance between handling and speed and is race ready out of the box. It is a proven durable car in the Firestorm 10t nitro version, which NO ONE i have spoken to has had a problem with parts breakage wise.

Both the Rustler and Speed-T are one trick straight line speed ponies, only having the ability to go very fast for brief periods until they wang a curb or run out of radio range. A Flux out of the box on a 7.4 lipo will run rings around both, on the track, on the road and in general bashing.
While I agree with your post to some extent, and keep in mind I have none of the three trucks being mentioned. For less than $2 yo can get the diff balls for the Speed T and be just fine suspension/drivetrain wise. The Firestorm as good as it may be cant handle 3S lipo like the others and you cant fix that without changing speed controls. So really the Speed T has the fast on road, the off road, and a racing pedigree from the XXX series. So its kinda the all around champ imo.

Now I know some are going to cry foul about the speed T on road tires, but lets be real honest how long are you going to be keeping the stock tires on a brushless stadium truck anyway?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Lilredmachine

So whats the point of the damn Speed-T in the first place? Why don't you just buy a XXX-T and shove a brushless system in it?

The whole point of the Speed-T is Speed. The clue is in the name. The moment you put offroad treads, swap out the diff, lift the suspension, essentially destroy the straightline handling... what is the point?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

So whats the point of the damn Speed-T in the first place? Why don't you just buy a XXX-T and shove a brushless system in it?

The whole point of the Speed-T is Speed. The clue is in the name. The moment you put offroad treads, swap out the diff, lift the suspension, essentially destroy the straightline handling... what is the point?

The point of the truck is to meet the latest speed craze (hence the name speed t) and put it in a Losi package with a 2.4ghz radio, xcelaron brushless system, and street tires. So it handles extremely well unlike the rustler and has a locked diff which actually makes it CONTROLLABLE at 60MPH. The XXX-T Sport is $270 plus the brushless system kicks it up to $440. Plus, how long do you keep the stock tires on a 65MPH brushless truck?

Why does all the Traxxas fans want speed soo much even though there truck cant even turn?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.