Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:05 PM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

here's a video guys about my online store coming up. i'm just posting it here because i know some of yall had been asking about it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsDUqpeiTog[/youtube]
Old 06-29-2011, 01:12 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Tucson GL AWD with running boards was 215 biweekly. It would be closer to 350 without the pipes and AWD. I love this ride....look out chicks, here I come.
I will have to take one for a test drive...my 2003 van is nearing the end of its life.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:19 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

here's a video guys about my online store coming up. i'm just posting it here because i know some of yall had been asking about it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsDUqpeiTog[/youtube]
I wish you luck.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:26 PM
thehuntingterminator

thanks man, appreciate it!
Old 06-29-2011, 01:29 PM
redfisher1974

Hey if i owned a traxxas I would buy a part or two, but I sold my one and only traxxas rc....
Old 06-30-2011, 08:18 PM
nitro-rob

My storm is in need of a few parts that are stuck in the mail. I notice I've been getting four pieces of mail per day since the strike ended and most of it is bills and spam (work to rule?). The truck runs but the slipper goes loose easily, I have a stretched A-arm and a bunch of other small things that need to be done. It all adds up to the truck being off from its true form.
I decided to park it for a bit and give it some attention. I've been driving it almost every night for the past month and its taken a great beating and handles some spectacular crashes.
So....I set up the Blitz ESE in the meantime. Its just a long stadium truck with narrower wheels anyways. 3800 kv sensored motor though, its pretty slow in comparison.

Red - my pickup is a '99 and only has 200k on it. Its fine other than being a pig on gas. The insurance company has a different opinion about it, though. I will keep it for the summer to help with renovations.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:25 PM
thehuntingterminator

glad to hear someone else is needing parts too! i broke an a-arm the other day on my Rustler VXL, and since then i've just rigged it to work with a piece of nylon string and some repositioning of the pin. i have a brand new stocker, but i'm waiting to pick up a set of RPM arms this weekend at my LHS. then i plan on getting a 5300mah 2s lipo here in about a month for my bday. should give me good power and more importantly amazing runtimes.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:27 PM
nitro-rob

Hey, I know somebody that is opening an online store and is shipping traxxas parts. He's in this forum. Look up thehuntingterminator.
Any chance you are going to get into the storm with your store (or get a storm?!).
My A-arm is in the same condition as yours.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 PM
thehuntingterminator

well, i'm rethinking my online store. i am still going to sell RC stuff, but on Amazon instead of an individual store. sorry if this comes as an inconvenience to anyone, but it in all honesty it makes me sell more stuff as a seller and there are some benefits for the buyer too. i will still have the lowest prices on Amazon. for example: lowest current price on a Rustler XL-5 is $197 shipped. i will sell mine for around $189.99 shipped. hope some of you guys will check out Amazon now.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:43 AM
nitro-rob

My wife is set up on Amazon and buys there often. She finds it quite convenient. Good call.
HAPPY CANADA DAY for the Canucks in here (I am almost embarrassed to use the term Canucks after game 7 of the stanley cup finals).
Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 AM
mercerbeef

LOL Go Flyers. stupid mail strike, only bills are getting through. Charging lipos then I gotta find somewhere good to run it, The guys building the new football/track field at the high school should be off today! BUWAHAHAHAHA.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:14 AM
nitro-rob

Belated Jean Baptiste day! Sorry I forgot about that. Happy 4th of july in advance for our US friends. I've covered all three neighbouring nations now! (by the way, I am not much of a flag waver).

I had some problems setting things up today because I need a lot of small things that are in the mail and am feeling the pinch of the mail strike. I really don't care what the issues are/were, I want my stuff and don't want to compromise on that for somebody else even if it involves their livelihood. Come on, Fedex and UPS, come up with a truly competitively priced alternative to the postal service so we can work to put it out of business....
Old 07-01-2011, 10:26 AM
nitro-rob

Looks like the MMAx pro on my blitz is bad.  It hasn't been used much since the hobby show last year and I assumed the novak motor I was running then was the problem but it is doing the same thing with another motor.   I put the FS's ESC in and the motor on the blitz is fine but I havn't had a chance to test the novak yet since my bullet connectors that are coming in the mail aren't in and the local shop isn't open until monday.

Screw this.  Baja time.  Electric let me down this weekend.  Boo.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:37 AM
thehuntingterminator

haha man! doesn't sound like your having very good luck, about like me yesterday! first, my cat chewed up my Micro SCT's charger (fixed that after awhile of tangling with tiny wires), then like i said i broke an a-arm this week, and then yesterday my ESC got all screwed up. i finally got that fixed after i got the button unstuck and had a Traxxas guy walk me through re-calibrating my ESC. guess its time to go bash!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:06 PM
nitro-rob

I popped a driveshaft out on the baja in 10 minutes and didn't have the tool on me to do a 30 second repair (stupid me).  No ball ends on those babies.  Blitz is not roadworthy and the FS is close and can limp along well enough.  I am afraid to go crawling tonight.

First thing I am going to do is test the Novak motor out on the good ESC.  I have been suspicious of the bad ESC for a while based on its history.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:46 PM
nitro-rob

My old novak 10.5T motor works fine!  I put it in the storm with 88/23 gearing (I am low on pinions) and it ran very well.  Temps went up to 180 in 15 minutes which isn't a surprise with the gearing (top speed calc'd was ~58 mph).   ESC fan went on too which is rare, its only happened once before with the castle motor.   It doesn't have near the power of the castle 4-pole and obviously the temps are a lot higher from the gearing.  I'm going to run it for a while to make sure its really okay and put it in my blitz when the replacement ESC comes in.  I am going to put on the heat sink and fan for that motor on tonight.  I reset the ESC parameters and ran it as-is and only upped the BEC voltage to 6 over the default 5.5V.

The bad ESC and this motor were the ones installed in my storm during my poor showing at the hobby show last year.  I thought it was the motor.  The castle exchange is 50 USD plus shipping which is pretty fair for an unconditional replacement.

I had a great chat with the castle guy today.  I always get the same guy and he's great.  He loves to talk motors and educate people.  I won't buy anything else.  

Next I am going to try the bad esc with a sensorless motor to see if its the sensored part that is the problem.

A new version of the Castle link software was just uploaded a few hours ago.  
Old 07-01-2011, 05:50 PM
thehuntingterminator

glad to hear you got it resolved! i seemed to have gotten my issues resolved too. i just fixed them all myself which was a painful process due to the ESC having to been taken apart, but the ned result is a working ESC and 55 bucks saved. i talked to the Traxxas guy and he said it would be 55 bucks even if it was manufacturer defect. what a rip off! but while it was down i tuned the suspension and recentered my steering, all of which needed to be done! oh, and i got front aluminum shocks!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:57 PM
mercerbeef

my mmpro stutters at low speeds when I hook up a sensor less motor, but fine at speed. Didn't make it out with the trucks, maybe tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:11 PM
nitro-rob

Glad you are up and running, too, terminator.

I just ran a full pack through the motor with the new setup and learned a lot. Run time was about ten minutes lower, I can't see it being more than 45 mph (likely 40) and it has much less power than the castle setup. To compare, I pulled the 4-pole castle back a lot to get it under control and it was still as wild as hell. The novak motor is running default settings and is much more tame but incredibly smooth. I could race this motor on 3s without an issue without changing the default settings. It has to be forced to wheelie and will only do so off the line for about 20 feet and the front end won't come up at any other speed.

This was the setup from last year before I build the CF storm.Sorry for the crappy photos, my wife has the camera at fireworks with my oldest son. Temps with 88/19 gearing topped out at 99F while running. When I stopped the heat sink fan after this temperatures on the telemetry and checked the can and heat sink externally with a thermometer temps went up to 120F . The heat sink is a lot of material to pull heat and its contacted to the motor with heat grease. Its not a bolt on, it replaces the band around the stator and makes contact through heat grease. A definitely must for people running novak ballistic motors. +100 to Novak for making this, it makes the castle blower system.....blow.

I pulled most of the parts I need to make the storm run well off of the blitz. Better to have one running than two down with small simple problems. I am just waiting for steering blocks, rear carriers and a-arms now but whats on there works pretty well considering the slop.

Next I will do a torque test and start playing with the software although its pretty good so far. I may play with more start power and advancing the timing to see what it does with temps. Its such a different beast than the castle setup.

The ESC problems frustrate me and point to my major problem with electric RC - you can't diagnose and fix everything yourself. I have to send things off and won't know what was wrong. It just seems less.........manly because of this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36746.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1630365   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43358.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1630366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86470.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	1630367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw62527.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	1630368  
Old 07-01-2011, 07:22 PM
nitro-rob

I just checked back and those rear tires were new on June 18.  I've counted six full packs run on my old setup before that photo was taken.  The last 30% wears very slowly.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:55 PM
mercerbeef

LOL is your storm european? looks like the motors mounted on the wrong side. Have you seen the Venom Gambler? The motor mount plate mostly, itsgot a finned mount for a fan. The ESE should of had one, to go with its fins.

http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=8614
Old 07-02-2011, 03:29 PM
DarksideVR

that is mirror imaged or something
Old 07-02-2011, 03:31 PM
nitro-rob

Damn default settings on the computers camera!  I also drive it on the other side of the road!

Funny you showed that picture, before I mounted the novak motor and heat sink I added that fan to the ESE motor plate heat sink and it fit on there perfectly. I didn't notice any temperature differences but then again I was running mostly under 120F.

It was hot, sunny and muggy today.  95F on the road.  I ran the hell out of the novak setup and got temps of 120F, up to 140F when the truck stood still afterwards.    Its not a rocket.  Torgue test tonight and I will increase the start power or something when I get into the software.

I know this horse has been beaten to a pulp already, but I was looking at my sidewinder 1 and it says its compatible for 3s lipo.  Its not an early version and was bought at the end just before the 2 came out.  I assume this means it will run on 3s but overheat like mad!?  Has anyone run one on 3s?

I feel like I am the only one that stayed home this long weekend. 
Old 07-02-2011, 03:37 PM
nitro-rob

Flipped properly for the nondyslexic crowd.

I installed my suspicious ESC in the other firestorm tonight and calibrated it etc.. I would have tested it but its raining. It looks like its okay from what I did on the bench, though. If its just a problem running sensored motors then all is well since I bought a castle SCT motor for it. The novak and LPR motors I have seem too doggy for a heavy SC truck (or even a firestorm).

I have the potential for some interesting comparisons on the same speed controller and truck:
LRP vector X-11 3800 kv
Novak Ballistic 4200
Castle 4-pole 3800
Castle 4-pole 4600
Castle 2-pole 4600

I will have two firestorms with the castle 4600s in them side by side tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58296.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1630615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32346.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	1630616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16437.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	1630617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99584.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	1630618  
Old 07-02-2011, 03:45 PM
nitro-rob

I just read that it can run 3s on 4600 and the problems are running a 5700. All posts I see in forums say the 3s/5700 is a disaster but its the BEC and if an external is run then it will run okay but will not be covered under warranty.

http://www.castlecreations.com/support/documents/speed_and_gearing_chart.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.