Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:44 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

ORIGINAL: tails13

I went to the bmx track this morning. I blew my diff. One bevel gear is broken in half, all the others have varying amounts of teeth missing.

Now I put some thin calcium grease over my gears a couple of weeks ago. I know you run nylon gears dry, but I'm sure you're suppose to run some sort of lubricant over steel gears. Am I right in thinking this? If so, what lubricant do you use in your gearbox?

Any tips on strengthening the diff? I don't want to order new bevel gears only to have them get blown apart again.

On a better note, had a good bash leading up to the diff blowing. I might upload some videos that were just taken on an iphone of some jumps.
I fill mine with brake caliper grease, Makes for a semi posi feel.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:11 AM
nitro-rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run 7000k silicon differential oil in my gear differential.  I used to run 300 000 or 100 000.  Nice photo, Bounce.  I have been thinking of e-verting my buggy.  

I think I will be looking for a 1/8 electric at the hobby show this year.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:39 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: jbounce

Nice Body Tails,

Just thought I'd post my EFS for a size comparison with my 1/8 Buggy. Almost the same size.
what buggy is that? and it looks like itz got Badlands, right?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:22 AM
nitro-rob

I run badlands on my D8 and love them.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:56 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

I run 7000k silicon differential oil in my gear differential. I used to run 300 000 or 100 000. Nice photo, Bounce. I have been thinking of e-verting my buggy.

any in particular your looking at? personally i want a Vorza, but the dang thing is sooo expensive...
Old 07-08-2011, 03:05 PM
nitro-rob

The vorza is what I've been looking at.  Its similar to the D8.  I don't know why they went with a composite chassis on the Ve8.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:48 PM
tails13

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

I run 7000k silicon differential oil in my gear differential. I used to run 300 000 or 100 000. Nice photo, Bounce. I have been thinking of e-verting my buggy.
How about on the gears themselves? Should I just run a light amount of grease on them as well?

Old 07-08-2011, 04:57 PM
redfisher1974

yeah just a light amount, None on the pinion and spur....
Old 07-08-2011, 08:29 PM
nitro-rob

I put a bit of silicon bicycle wheel grease on the main gear outside of the diff case and the other gears in the tranny.  If you are using grease put enough in to cover the gears then close it up.  You don't want to add too much that it squirts out when you close the cases.

I had RPM arms come in today.  Hopefully this is the beginning of packages flooding in since todays package had the earliest shipping date.  I can't drive my blitz or 4-pole storm.

Darkside - is it you that has the proline shocks?  What part number were they, are they the slash ones with the blitz hardware kit?  
Old 07-08-2011, 10:32 PM
jbounce

Its an Associated RC8Be, the tires are Badlands, great for ripping up grass.

Vorza is good, very durable but if you are planning on racing, you should consider the Mugen MBX6e Eco.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90474.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	1633021  
Old 07-09-2011, 02:06 AM
tails13

Some short videos taken on an iPhone. This was yesterday, shortly before the diff chewed itself apart. You can here the gears being pretty loud, the alloy gearbox probably accentuates that a bit.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ORuFRz2Vs[/youtube]

I have no idea why they aren't embedding.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:19 PM
nitro-rob

If I get an 8th scale electric it will be HPI or LOSI.  HPI doesn't have a racer and the HB electric doesn't look up to par.  Likely losi or I will convert my D8 since I love that truck.

I have the 2-pole running with no torque limit and 70 % punch control.  Its pretty good, I have to be smart with the throttle at speed.  Temps were up in the 150-160 range and outside temps were 95F with hit ashpalt and full sun.  I popped both rear tires off the beads within 15 minutes.

The truck is going in the 40's and isn't impressive for speed but I feel with the temps I can't gear it any taller.  88/18 with the 3.6 inch tires is about the limit.   They recommend going down 2-4 teeth when going from 2s to 3s which is consistent.  I am going to try the regular sized tires tonight when its a bit cooler.  Tire temperatures go up to about 130F.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:32 AM
redfisher1974

Moves pretty good.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqWusZhIGlU[/youtube]
Old 07-10-2011, 12:03 PM
nitro-rob

I've driven almost every night the past two months but have only burned about a litre of nitro in one of three trucks.  This is making me rethink things a little.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:34 PM
tails13

I haven't started my nitro since summer (it's now winter down here), so I was falling out of the hobby a little as I moved interstate to a place a bit far away from any tracks. Getting the flux revitalised my interest.

How ever, after rebuilding the diff today and taking it out on the street, I lost control after hitting a raising crack on the footpath at pretty high speed. It hit a small tree front on whilst mid air. The car itself is fine, but I can't say the same thing about my body shell. The baja bug body has had the front end shattered and one wheel well crack off. Spewing! It'll be the last proline body I buy though, stupidly brittle.  
Old 07-11-2011, 09:02 AM
nitro-rob

Crappy about that body shell, it looked cool. The mail is starting to flow now and the parts to get my storm and blitz running came in.
I need shocks for the blitz. Likely will put the ESE shocks back on it and get new ones for the storm.
The castle 3800 sct motor came in as well. I am going to install it and take it out asap. 87/23 or 24 gearing depending what I have.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:04 PM
nitro-rob

87/23 with the 3800.  No torque control and 50% punch control. I drove it wide open as much as possible for 20 minutes and temperatures were in the mid 140s.  It was 95F outside and about 10 degrees hotter on the asphalt.  

It flew.  All the castle motors I tried lately have wheelie on command power and the 4-poles much stronger.  I will try to get the gun on it tonight.  I should finish the other firestorm tonight as well and be able to directly compare 4-pole 4600 vs. 3800.  The coolest part is my five year old son went down to the shop with me to swap motors and set things up.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:03 PM
redfisher1974

Awesome.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:25 PM
nitro-rob

The second ball differential is acting up and I replaced it with a geared one. They were a pain to maintain, were finicky to work on and seemed to slip easily despite being held to the recommended tightness.
SCT 3800 and the 4600 4-poles are set up in the firestorms and both are ready to go. Both with no torque control and 70 % punch control. The same 3s battery will be used. The 3800 has 87/23 gearing and the 4600 88/19. The SCT setup will go into the blitz shortly after comparing the motors.

I have a SW1/4600 two pole to put in the storm after the SCT system is removed.
Do you know that SW2's are going for under 60 bucks? They are supposed to have the capacity similar to the mamba max. I would like to see the performance difference between an SW2, mamba max and mamba max pro.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:50 PM
tails13

Speaking of diffs. I've just rebuilt my gear diff and lightly greased the other gears inside the tranny. I used some timken high temp bearing grease. The diff feels pretty much locked, about the same as what it was from the factory. 

How ever since rebuilding the gearbox I've noticed my ESC temps have been higher when I took it out for a couple of quick test drives on the street. The temps maxed out at only 140*F, which isn't extremely high at all. But it is higher than what it was when I last drove it. Since dropping to an 18t pinionI was getting temps of between 95*F and 110*F. What could be causing a 30*F increase in max operating temp? 

The gearbox feels smooth and there isn't much resistance, the pinion and spur's gear mesh is also set correctly. 

How much does ambient temperature affect the temps of electrics? It has been a little warmer outside these last couple of test drives, but only by about 5-10*C, surely that won't affect the ESC directly that much?

I come from a nitro background, and golly is it easier to diagnose problems with a nitro engine than fancy electric doodads. 
Old 07-12-2011, 06:27 PM
nitro-rob

Tails, I couldn't agree more with the last statement.  Nitro is so easy to diagnose compared to electric.  The ambient temperature is added to the additional temps these electric motors produce.  Its not like nitro engines that are much less sensitive to temps.  I would guess that the 5-10C is a large chunk of your 40F increase.  I also find a difference when its sunny and the asphalt is hotter too.

The SCT motor is incredible. I tried for a whole pack tonight to get a successful speed run in.  I don't know how the storm survived it because it was on its lid sliding into curb at 35+mph all night.  It even cartwheeled into my house once. 

The highest recorded speed was 46 mph and there was a lot of throttle left.  It always flipped over when it reached between 35-46mph no matter how careful I was, with and without a body.  The temps were 120-125 throughout the last 15 minutes of the run and the only time it wasn't being pushed hard was when it was on its back.  Settings: no punch control, 70% torque control, 88/23 gears, regular size wheels, normal timing.

For a comparison, my 4-pole 4600 with torque control 8, punch 60% running flat out went 53 mph over several runs with 88/19 gears and it runs in the 130's when its 90+F outside.  It was easy to control.

This isn't a fair comparison.  I will try the 4600 without torque control and 70% punch.  The gearing written above produces temperatures in each truck that is reasonable for comparison (maybe 1 more tooth on the 3800)

I had a black and white Flysky GTB2 radio arrive today.

Post 2222!

Old 07-12-2011, 07:29 PM
tails13

I've had to replace my body posts after I ground them down from sliding on my roof at 40+mph, good fun. I would love to get some magnesium caps for the posts, get some sparks going when I flip. 

If the ambient temps affect it this much in winter when it's only 59*F, I dread what it's gonna be like in summer at 100*F. 
Old 07-12-2011, 11:34 PM
tails13

Took the storm out for another test drive this afternoon, something is definitely not right. 

The ESC hit its thermal limit. After about 10 minutes of driving. The car has been making a grinding sound under throttle every now and then for a few weeks (even before the diff blew). I'm pretty sure I've narrowed this down to the slipper. What noise does the slipper clutch make when it's slipping? 

I moved the motor away from the gearing and ran it at varying throttle levels to test it under load to see if it is an electronic problem, I had no problems with temps during this. It stayed at around the 105*F level, even after a couple stints of full throttle. So I think the ESC and motor are fine. Something in the gearing must be causing resistance or the ESC to work over time. Could a loose or worn slipper clutch lead to ESC issues? 

What else in the drivetrain could cause temp issues with the electronics? Bear in mind I wasn't having temp issues before rebuilding the diff, but the car was making this 'grinding' sound (which I think maybe the slipper clutch) before the diff issue. 

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here, it's driving me nuts. 
Old 07-13-2011, 12:22 AM
tails13

Scrap all that, I've just pulled the motor off and tested it again and I can replicate the 'grinding' noise with the motor itself. How tight should the shaft be in a brushless motor? The motor shaft can move in and out of the motor by just under 1mm if I push and pull on it, is that normal? 

Should I take it apart and check the bearings? It's gonna be a pain to pull apart as its held together with some tiny torx screws. 
Old 07-13-2011, 02:02 AM
AL3xGR

Dust can easily get inside your motor.... Use compressed air to clean the motor and the ball bearings and then lurbicate them with BB oil(very thin oil) You may use a ball bearing cleaner also - since you can't open them(motors use only metal-shielded BB) compressed air should work well.

Be careful about the coil windings.Also the rotor has a very strong magnet(keep away from metal things that can break it - the magnetic force is veryhigh....)

The shaft can move in and out in sensorless motors.Sensored have hall sensors in the end bell and should not move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.