Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:50 PM
wanna_be_racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Hmm...That's a good point. Maybe I'll stick with the 2.2 Badlands then. I wish I could find a set of the MOAB's. Loved those tires. I wouldn't even know where to begin when making one out of CF. I've seen the Xtreme chassis and do like them. Was considering one for a road build once I got a second EF. My dad works for Penske Racing at the PTG Wind Tunnel down here, that's how I have access to the machine shop. I guess I shoulda known that bout F1 and given it more consideration....

Can I just buy a cheet of the CF and cut it out once I have a template? Or is it more complecated than that??
Old 07-30-2011, 11:02 PM
nitro-rob

The 2.2 badlands were what I was referring to.    The cutting is as easy as what you described.  Cut it out, drill holes and countersinks and use sandpaper or a dremel to clean the edges and you are good to go.  CF is easy to get.

This just got me thinking I should have made a stencil of my chassis before I built it just in case I need to make a new one.  I definitely will when the chassis is apart next.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:56 PM
wanna_be_racer

Ahhh. I agree, the 2.2 BL's deff do not look good to me. I was looking at the 2.8 badlands. These. They're just 4.9" in diameter instead of like 4.82" or whatever the 2.2's are. The 2.8's don't have alot of sidewall at all, imo.

If a CF chassis wouldn't be that hard, I might look into doing that instead. Haven't actually started machining my Alum one yet, just have the CAD model. I'll talk to my dad and see if I can get ahold of a plate of CF anywhere. I like the look of the one you build in the link you sent. Is it nice and durable?
Old 07-31-2011, 05:59 AM
nitro-rob

I have 28 rims coming and will check out the badlands for them.  My CF chassis has been solid as a rock and doesn't even have a scratch on it (it does have underside protection).  I love it and won't go back. 

My truck is loaded.  Off to a BMX track for the day.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:20 AM
Phukkitt

Hi guys, it's been quite a while since I posted here last.

Today my truck started acting weird, the rear wheels got kinda wobbly. It seemed that the nuts had gone a bit loose so I tightened those . I have run a lot of packs without them coming loose until now.
But after just a few minutes of driving it got wobbly again, and now the nuts seemed to be loose again, although just a little.

Decided to take it home and have a look, and it really seems like something is wrong here...
When I popped the left rear wheel off, I saw some cloth like threads sticking out from behind the hex hub, so I removed it and found a lot more. I started pulling it all out, the results you can see in my pictures below.
It's pretty strong though, so I guess it's the nylon from the hub carrier or something like that.

The first picture shows my right rear hub carrier for comparison, it looks pretty healthy, doesn't it?
The second picture is my left rear hub carrier, and it is all dug in to, even the bearing. It was like a melted black ring around the edge that peeled off when I pulled out all that stuff, and there seems to be one stuck in all that crap also.

Any ideas what caused this?
I guess i should note that the hex hubs were both very loose and came off very easy.

What to do? I'm guessing getting some new hub carriers (aluminum?) and new bearings?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68709.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1642347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52850.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1642348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72652.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1642349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf95951.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1642350  
Old 07-31-2011, 08:03 AM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

it looks like you picked up some thin rope or something driving, it got caught up in there and just melted away your hub... it's happens to me all the time with grass... but no melting...

the lug
Old 07-31-2011, 10:01 AM
DarksideVR

you can also get the RPM ones and use a bigger bearing.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:05 AM
namewasdallas

yeah that deff looks like that rope got caught up in there and with driving it alot over and over that rope heated up to the point where it would melt that peice luckly it didnt get hot enough to catch fire...

I got a question, what tranny parts from the Blitz can I switch over to the Storm Flux?

Could i switch over that nice Motor Plate/ Heat Sink? along with the spur gear?

Thanks for the help everyone
Old 07-31-2011, 10:10 AM
DarksideVR

motor plate heat sink is a direct swap. The spur gear is more difficult because you have to switch the output shaft in the tranny and the slipper clutch assembly but that is all fairly easy to do when you have the parts
Old 07-31-2011, 10:19 AM
wanna_be_racer

My dad says he's got some 3mm cf scrap at work. Might go see what I can dream up with it. Thanks for the tip Nitro.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:32 AM
Phukkitt

Thanks guys, you're probably right about the rope getting caught up and melting the carrier. I was doing quite a few speed runs after all.

I'll probably get the RPM carriers that DarksideVR recommended, but what bearings should I get?
Towerhobbies recommend these: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD121
Anyone know of any other bearings that are better, or are they all the same?

Old 07-31-2011, 01:32 PM
DarksideVR

the sky is the limit with bearings...you could checkout [link=http://www.bocabearings.com/]bocabearings[/link] I use some Traxxas bearings...for the Revo I think. they seem to work but, I have been thinking of getting some boca bearings.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:42 PM
wanna_be_racer

For my two cents, look at Acer Bearings. Hear lots of the top sponsered racers use em.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:56 PM
thehuntingterminator

i use those bearings in my Rustler VXL and have beaten the crap out of them and they have done flawlessly. i haven't even greased them or cleaned them in 6 months, and they still run silky smooth. the only thing to not is that they're not rubber sealed, so no water.
ORIGINAL: Phukkitt

Thanks guys, you're probably right about the rope getting caught up and melting the carrier. I was doing quite a few speed runs after all.

I'll probably get the RPM carriers that DarksideVR recommended, but what bearings should I get?
Towerhobbies recommend these: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD121
Anyone know of any other bearings that are better, or are they all the same?

Old 07-31-2011, 04:34 PM
nitro-rob

I just got back from an entire day of RC at a BMX track.  Best day ever.  We met a bunch of great guys with great equipment that want to keep driving like we did today.  A video was made and I will edit it once I get over my heat stroke (lots of puking).
Old 07-31-2011, 04:36 PM
thehuntingterminator

how hots it way up there in Canadia?
Old 07-31-2011, 04:40 PM
nitro-rob

It was in the 90's today and pretty humid.  We've been in a heat wave and drought the past month.  Red and I are in the most southern part of the country, Michigan is mostly north of us.  

Is it a long weekend in the US?
Old 07-31-2011, 04:46 PM
nitro-rob

Phuk - there is an option to buy the carriers with bearings, I did so recently off ebay.  Good choice on avoiding aluminum, I replaced mine RPM recently and things are much tighter and wearing much better.

No prob, Wannabe...the price is you having to post pictures of this project.

I think I have a broken board on my battery, the power was shutting off regardless of what I put it in and I would fiddle with it and it would work.
I also broke a CVD today on my last jump which ironically was the smoothest landing of the day.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:58 PM
thehuntingterminator

yep. suppose to be 104-105 this week. and you think you have it bad...
ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

It was in the 90's today and pretty humid. We've been in a heat wave and drought the past month. Red and I are in the most southern part of the country, Michigan is mostly north of us.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:38 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

yep. suppose to be 104-105 this week. and you think you have it bad...
ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

It was in the 90's today and pretty humid. We've been in a heat wave and drought the past month. Red and I are in the most southern part of the country, Michigan is mostly north of us.
When you spend 6 months a year in snow, 90 degrees feels hot as all get out.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:46 PM
thehuntingterminator

lol, i bet. we actually had a good foot or 2 of snow this year. really surpsing for us.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:44 PM
nitro-rob

I lived in North Carolina for a few years and it was full humidity and something like 100 for half a year, 80 for quarter of the year and 40 for the other quarter. And I never used air conditioning for one minute. They thought I was crazy.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 PM
thehuntingterminator

lol. so did you like the states or Canada better?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:45 PM
wanna_be_racer

I live in North Carolina now, and lemme tell you, it has NOT gotten any better. Last 2 weeks or so the heat index has been in the 110's. And I'm in the western part of the start closer to the mountains.

Nitro, I'll be sure to catalogue everything. I'm excited to get on with this build, but my problem currently is just funds. I have everything laid out as to what I want to buy, but I won't have the money until probably around christmas time. (cuz of school and all that).

Tried to run the ef today. It rained earlier in the evening, so it was slightly cooler out. Still having a bad issue with the stuttering. Checked the slipper and it was tight as could be. Plus, I never thought it was the slipper. It was deff something electronic. But pulling the first pack out after giving up. I think I found my culprit.

The pack was super hot to the touch. Around 150-ish degrees, I'd say.Almost couldn't pick it up at all. It's now bowed slightly plus the heat wrap is missing off the one cell cuz it melted is my guess. I'm very sad...this was my last good battery. I have no more.

So...I might as well start looking at 3s packs for this new build. I was glancing at hobby king packs as well as tower. Can anyone tell me what the best "cheapest" pack on hobbyking is. I've found a few. A Turnigy 4000mah 30Cand a Zippy 8000mah 30C, all 3s (cuz that what this build will be for.) But idk if they're good or not. The Turnigy is only like 24 bucks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66233.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1642737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36670.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1642738  
Old 08-01-2011, 01:33 PM
wanna_be_racer

Well, I'm leaning toward just going the RPM a-arms and maybe some STRC alum hunb carriers and such. Making this truck light but durable. Idk. I've officialy put my Losi equipment up for sale on here. If anyone's interested in 2 Losi 8ight-T 1.o Race roller kits with a complete RTR kit and a 50% rtr ALL ASONEPACKAGE, then look it up. I could use the moneys ^_^

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.