Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:53 AM
ozium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

ORIGINAL: powerslider

I ain't no newbie by a long shot, just have higher expectations than most.
I wasn't calling you a newbie, but having high expectations and tuning your equipment beyond factory spec are newbie mistakes. Anyone with experience will know that problems introduced by doing this are the fault of the tuner, not the truck.

And I doubt you won many races with no slipper, unless everyone else was running no slipper as well.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:21 PM
ElectricGuy007

I ain't no newbie by a long shot, just have higher expectations than most. I raced an Aveox brushless sytem back in the early 90's before most people even knew what brushless was and that was in a Losi truck also but the LXT trans was stronger and Thorpe made a better idler gear. Never broke that one and still have the truck to this day....

And just to add, there was no slipper on that trans at all....
I guess that was before novak had the supersport brushless line and before the neo series LRP motors.
That was a while back.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Lilredmachine

Good lord that was back in the day. I started out with a tomy intruder that was later converted to onroad. I still have the Intruder and onroad kit lol.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:03 PM
powerslider

ORIGINAL: ozium

I ain't no newbie by a long shot, just have higher expectations than most.
I wasn't calling you a newbie, but having high expectations and tuning your equipment beyond factory spec are newbie mistakes. Anyone with experience will know that problems introduced by doing this are the fault of the tuner, not the truck.

And I doubt you won many races with no slipper, unless everyone else was running no slipper as well.
Carpet racing my friend. I won a good many races and class point championships. I'm not going to debate you on the weak trans, if it's fine for you then great. It's just not what I had hoped for...
Old 06-26-2008, 05:18 PM
powerslider

ORIGINAL: B44&501xRacerEX

I ain't no newbie by a long shot, just have higher expectations than most. I raced an Aveox brushless sytem back in the early 90's before most people even knew what brushless was and that was in a Losi truck also but the LXT trans was stronger and Thorpe made a better idler gear. Never broke that one and still have the truck to this day....

And just to add, there was no slipper on that trans at all....
I guess that was before novak had the supersport brushless line and before the neo series LRP motors.
That was a while back.
No one had brushless systems specific for rc use at that time, Cliff Lett was using the Aveox system for the insane speed runs. I was indoor carpet racing in an unlimited truck class but the brushed motors just couldn't handle over 8 cells without grenading. We ran large tracks in a college fieldhouse so you could really get some good speed. Enter the Aveox, I talked to them and they recommended the system I used. It worked very well, truck was very fast on 12c. Easily won the point series that year, I needed a spotter on the big ovals so I didn't run over other trucks lol....
Old 06-26-2008, 05:27 PM
ozium

Carpet racing my friend. I won a good many races and class point championships. I'm not going to debate you on the weak trans, if it's fine for you then great. It's just not what I had hoped for...
Just out of curiousity what problems have you had?
Old 06-26-2008, 05:43 PM
powerslider

This is now with the XXT I installed the MM5700 in running 6 and 7c packs (IB4200), every 4 to 6 packs the trans would give up. The idler gear sheers the teeth off and I've torn the center out of the diff gear. Not melted from slipping simply the center section sheers at the diff ball locations. I have the slipper and the hydrodrive on it but I just gave up on it think this truck wasn't meant for that kind of power. I was hoping the DT would have steel gears as they did upgrade the diff but the idler is still the same. I'v heard of people boiling the plastic gears to make them less brittle and more resiliant. I may try that but I really dropped the idea of even installing the MM/Velineon combo I have for it. I ordered a Slash for the heck of it so I was going to install that system in it. I wish I could install the E Firestorm trans in the DT but there totally different mounting designs. I have thrashed the E Firstorm with the MM 5700 with no problem at all. I liked the looks of the DT so I wanted to try that with a similar setup afterall they show their brushless system on the box as an upgrade but I haven't crossed paths with anyone that has the Losi system yet...
Old 06-26-2008, 08:26 PM
clamber

I just did some huge jumps with my DT and nothing broke! Im so happy! I jumped it off of a dugout onto a perfect downslope and it looked so cool!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Chris_RC

how far were the jumps?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:32 PM
powerslider

That's what it's all about, having fun. Good for you.....
Old 06-26-2008, 09:26 PM
clamber

Probobly about 15 feet off of the top of the dugout and like 10 feet down to where it was landing on the downslope.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:25 PM
j-boy

I'm so bummed! [&o][&o]

I really thought I would get my DT today. One of those sellers from Flea-bay too that doesn't care to send you an "item has shipped" email. Yeah I'm bein a little impatient but the guys feedback was 99% positive and all about what a fast shipper he is. I know from paypal that the payment cleared last Thursday. I would think that it would have shipped friday and been in my hands by now. I was at work just waitin on one of the girls to hit the post office but they came back with nothing! [:@] I emailed the seller and asked for a tracking number just for kicks but he never replied.

Oh well since I didn't have the DT tonight I got started on my backyard bashin track. Bought the rebar to hold the pipe in place with and a couple hundred feet of pipe. I only have an area of about 90ft x 45ft but It's more than a lotta people get. A little small for the 1/8 scale nitros but I'm gettin a DT that should be just the right size! Drew it out tonight on graph paper so I could count up how much more pipe to get. Only need 400 more feet to have a descent layout. Not bad when you consider the amount of pipe most tracks require. Can't wait to get the DT out on it! I really, really, really hope it gets here tomarrow, cause if it don't Ill be waitin all weekned. Can I come to one of ya'alls house and drive yours??? LOL
Old 06-26-2008, 11:58 PM
clamber

That sucks. I had to wait a while also.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:25 PM
clamber

I might get the mamba tomorrow~! All Ill need to do to accommodate it is lossen the slipper right?
Old 06-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Chris_RC

yes, but not too loose.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:45 PM
clamber

When i loosen it i should be able to move the spur gear a bit with my hand right. But not too much?
Old 06-29-2008, 08:33 AM
bashingozzy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anyone tell me if this is a good set up for my DT

Novak Electronics
GTB Brushless Racing ESC with 3.5R Velociti Race Tuned Brushless Motor
Part # NOV3000
Old 06-29-2008, 08:46 AM
powerslider

ORIGINAL: bashingozzy

Novak Electronics
Part # NOV3000
Bad motor selection, way too hot, 8.5 or 6.5 would be plenty fast....
Old 06-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Custnam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clamber. You should also get a slighlty smaller pinion to avoid heat. Im running a VXL in mine with a 15 tooth. But I have a custom 8 cell pack I made. To test the slipper, heres what I do. Take the car out to the street WITH the tool that fits the slipper nut. Loosen it about a half turn. THEN..... From a dead stop hit full throttle, if its slipping youll hear the motor spinning for a sec BEFORE the car gets up to speed. THIS is called slippage. If it doesnt then loosen a little more and continue. If you get it too loose the car will slip alot and can overheat. Its a matter of trial and error. It should only slip for a second, then when it finally catches the car will get up to full speed. Its just like in a real car if you have your foot resting on the clutch too much, the cars rpms will rise up without the car moving. Same principle. If you have a way to record, you should get it set, then make a video with a clip posted here or you tube. Myself or someone else can tell you if its slipping right. But its more important to HEAR the car then see it so make sure you get good audio.

Hope this helps, and no more broken parts!!! At lease not from curbs!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:53 AM
clamber

Cool. I have a 14t pinion in it right now so I hope thats good. Do I need to get any larger spur gears or anything like that? Im still having a hard time deciding what MM to get
Old 06-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Custnam

You should be good with the 14, as far as the MM to get I cant help you. The only experience I have with the mamba systems was the 1/18th scale version. And I personally hated it. It may have been the way I had it set up, but I had alot of issues. The only other Brushless system Ive had is 3 times Ive bought a VXL system. And each time it was plug and play. Symplicity over functions as far as Im concerned. I dont race so I dont need a system that you can hook up to a PC via usb. I have enought gadgets that do that. ( MP3, and my PSP)
Old 06-29-2008, 11:22 AM
bashingozzy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: bashingozzy

Novak Electronics
Part # NOV3000
Bad motor selection, way too hot, 8.5 or 6.5 would be plenty fast....
What kind of speed if geared for top speed could i get from a 8.5? or 6.5? Can i in the future change the motor to say a 13.5 if i wanted to but still using the 8.5 or 6.5 esc. Also with water proofing the esc, can it be done or do brushless esc get to hot to ballon or put in a small water proof box?

Sorry bout the questions but this will be my first brushless set up
Old 06-29-2008, 11:27 AM
powerslider

ORIGINAL: clamber

Cool. I have a 14t pinion in it right now so I hope thats good. Do I need to get any larger spur gears or anything like that? Im still having a hard time deciding what MM to get
The Sidewinder would be a good choice but you should get some more driving experience so your not constantly breaking things. The added power and speed takes more skill to control... I just ordered the Losi system so we'll see how that turns out shortly....
Old 06-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Custnam

The Sidewinder would be a good choice but you should get some more driving experience so your not constantly breaking things. The added power and speed takes more skill to control... I just ordered the Losi system so we'll see how that turns out shortly....
+1 on that Powerslider
Old 06-29-2008, 11:36 AM
clamber

Lol yeah. Ive gotten a lot better. I havent broke anything in like 2 weeks, lol!

Ill probobly get the sidewinder since I wont be using a 3s lipo. But will it be enough power? How much faster will it make my DT?

I kinda want to wait and get the Excelorin, but Im not sure. I could get the unsensored losi system. Hmm...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.