Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Custnam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

If you go from stock to any brushless, It most likely will be more power than you know what to do with. And if not, well I guess your a speed freak, then I say 3s LIPO!!!!! But I agree with power, be careful with it. You hit a curb with a brushless, and a lipo youll be collecting parts for hours all over the road!!!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:44 AM
clamber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol. Im mostly wanting the power for wide open sand dunes.

I could imagine seeing a truck hit a curb at full speed with a MM and a 3s. That'd be insane.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Custnam

Yes it would. I think the only time I hit a curb at full speed was recently before I sold my emaxx. I was going full speed forward, and caught a glitch from a friend turning on a radio and it swung left into the curb. Nothing broke. I was suprised. However..... emaxx's arent all that fast stock. So the spectrum radio that comes with the Losi DT was one of its selling points for me. Its nice to know I dont have to channel check. But, I think they should be made to accept 8 aa batteries like standard radios, maybe that would boost the range a little. I dunno...
Old 06-29-2008, 04:45 PM
clamber

ORIGINAL: Custnam

Clamber. You should also get a slighlty smaller pinion to avoid heat. Im running a VXL in mine with a 15 tooth. But I have a custom 8 cell pack I made. To test the slipper, heres what I do. Take the car out to the street WITH the tool that fits the slipper nut. Loosen it about a half turn. THEN..... From a dead stop hit full throttle, if its slipping youll hear the motor spinning for a sec BEFORE the car gets up to speed. THIS is called slippage. If it doesnt then loosen a little more and continue. If you get it too loose the car will slip alot and can overheat. Its a matter of trial and error. It should only slip for a second, then when it finally catches the car will get up to full speed. Its just like in a real car if you have your foot resting on the clutch too much, the cars rpms will rise up without the car moving. Same principle. If you have a way to record, you should get it set, then make a video with a clip posted here or you tube. Myself or someone else can tell you if its slipping right. But its more important to HEAR the car then see it so make sure you get good audio.

Hope this helps, and no more broken parts!!! At lease not from curbs!!!

Ok, so Im about to go do this. So Ill set the car down in the street and loosen the slipper nut a half turn. Then pull the trigger full throttle and for a second i should hear the motor running but it wont move and then it should take off. Is that correct. I only want it to slip for a sec though right? How do I know when its at the right slippage?
Old 06-29-2008, 08:25 PM
powerslider

The amount of slip is determined by you and what you want, that's why they're adjustable. Just make sure the truck takes off good, you don't want the motor screaming and the truck barely moving. That will overheat the slipper pads and the spur gear. If you want wheelies you tighten it up a little at a time until you get where you want it to perform.

What are you using for batteries? The power of any brushless system depends on the strength of the batteries and voltage. If your only running 6 or 7 cells get the Sidewinder 5700, higher voltage I would get the 4600...
Old 06-29-2008, 09:58 PM
clamber

I ended up getting the 5700 and I am running a 6 cell nimh. I will eventually move up to a 2s lipo though.

I think I got the slipper figured out. I hope I dont eat up any gears.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:09 PM
powerslider

You get the radio figured out? I replied to your other thread...
Old 06-29-2008, 10:42 PM
clamber

Yeah. I love being brushless!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Chris_RC

hoe fast are you going?
Old 06-29-2008, 10:58 PM
clamber

Not that fast because I only have a NIMH. Probably like 35-40mph. I was doing different setups with various spurs and pinions but I couldnt really tell the diff. lol
Old 06-30-2008, 06:38 PM
FoamyVictim

We had our first race with ours on Saturday. We came in 3rd and 4th on the first time out! We've got a few tricks up our sleeves to make them handle even better. Oh yeah, the lights looked pretty darn cool after the sun went down.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:16 PM
clamber

I wish there were tracks here in Utah.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:21 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: clamber

I wish there were tracks here in Utah.
There is one in magna, intermountain RC raceway http://www.ir-cr.com/main.html
Old 06-30-2008, 07:38 PM
clamber

Oh yeah, there were 2 guys talking about it at WVH but I totally forgot. Ill have to check it out.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:09 PM
j-boy

I GOT SCREWED!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I finally got a reply from the fleabay seller but it was only to tell me that they had made a mistake and don't have any DT's in stock.

It's OK cause I kinda had a spell of temporary insanity and not only ordered the truck from AMain but a superbrain 989, some paint, a new Ackerman plater for my Hellfire! Paid for the 2 day shipping and everything! This stuff better show up before my wife gets home Friday or I'll have some serious splaining to do. [X(][X(][X(][X(] I should have at least waited for my refund from Paypal make it back onto my credit card. Like I said... temporary insanity!!!! I spend a lot of time chewin on my old lady about money so this is gonna be a big deal if she gets wise... come to think of it... lord I'm a dead man!!![&o][&o][&o][&o]
Old 07-01-2008, 12:14 AM
clamber

That sucks. Are you still planning on getting a DT?[
Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: j-boy

I GOT SCREWED!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I finally got a reply from the fleabay seller but it was only to tell me that they had made a mistake and don't have any DT's in stock.

It's OK cause I kinda had a spell of temporary insanity and not only ordered the truck from AMain but a superbrain 989, some paint, a new Ackerman plater for my Hellfire! Paid for the 2 day shipping and everything! This stuff better show up before my wife gets home Friday or I'll have some serious splaining to do. [X(][X(][X(][X(] I should have at least waited for my refund from Paypal make it back onto my credit card. Like I said... temporary insanity!!!! I spend a lot of time chewin on my old lady about money so this is gonna be a big deal if she gets wise... come to think of it... lord I'm a dead man!!![&o][&o][&o][&o]
I wish you the best j-boy.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Custnam

Been there done that. I use to hate it, but I had to hide my rc purchases for the most part. But im divorced now, so no one to answer to........ sorta [:-]
Old 07-01-2008, 01:42 PM
clamber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs79g...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT21MKabnvU
Old 07-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Custnam

I hate to see it go. But its gotta. Any takers?? http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...690&electric=0
Old 07-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Krazy Chicken

ORIGINAL: Custnam

I hate to see it go. But its gotta. Any takers?? http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...690&electric=0
why are you selling it? i would want it, but im only able to get something that i can buy with paypale
Old 07-01-2008, 02:09 PM
clamber

He want an E-firestorm lol
Old 07-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Chris_RC

why did you put the VXL system in with it?
Old 07-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Custnam

Well that was the original plan when I bought it. I got a Rustler that had the VXL in it for 140, then pulled the vxl out and sold the rustler to a buddy of mine. For 140 I couldnt resist considering the VXL system alone runs $120-170 most places. Its alot faster then it was stock.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:35 PM
clamber

My friend is looking to get an RTR and Im going to tell him about your DT. Then he'll just need a batt and a charger so that s just another $100.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.