Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:23 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

ORIGINAL: momogt

i have came close to selling my slash a few times but i just cant do it i love to experiment with my truck yesterday i did a 5s run yes 5s i set my slipper loose 90% punch control 8% torque control and nothing broke system ran cool this was with 13/52 gearing with my tacon 2150kv 4074 motor traxxas anaconda tires i also have a gyro in my slash the control is great i just ordered the jconcepts ford ranger f-250 body and proline dirt paw tires and a set of strc cvds dont sell it i would sell my emaxx before i sell my slash
My god, on my 35a ESC & a 3900kv motor on 3s 2000mah it pulls wheelies!!!!(theoretical max 43,290rpm)
damm 5s, was it crazy lol (theoretical max 39,775rpm)
thats only 3515rpm differance
but ur setup would have way more torque on takeoff and could be geared way higher & more likely to hit its max rpm

Yep i have come to the conclusion that the slash is one of the worst handling cars ever, but thats why we all like it & its what makes it "FUN" to drive.
Saying that thats why Ive ordered the HPI D Box, & i see momogt runs one too, A brushless slash is impossible to controll on loose ground with full throttle.
Its as simple as that, If anyone thinks thay can do better on dirt with a brushless slash without a gyro please prove it with a video.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:41 PM
momogt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you dont want to spend alot of money on the hpi box get the exceed rc drift box thats what i got 30.00 had it over a year works great i got it from hobbypartz.com yes max it was fast but i had my setting real calm as you can see and the motor and esc was warm to the touch after 30min i also have a wheelie bar that help alot and i love the sound of thats loose slipper sounding like a spooling turbo but 3s is what i like to run
Old 08-29-2011, 04:54 PM
phmaximus

hang on i was under the impression that the slipper should not slip under normal accelaration???????? & should only slip under excessive torque like when u land a massive jump at full throttle.??????

otherwise would it just slip & loose power????? (like when a real cars clutch starts to slip, I use to have a mazda 626 & each time it hit boost the clutch would slip, glad i sold that)

need to get some cool videos...

hows i got the HPI d Box for only US$27.99 & free postage.... but have found a AKA Dr Drift box for AUS$13.79 & $4.69 postage, item number 400176994273
Old 08-30-2011, 12:01 AM
phmaximus

ok, ive had a quick look at slipper clutches,

If u can hear it stop. its slipping. and after a while it will over heat & slip even easyer. each time it slips its wearing down the pads.
Some people recomend checking the slipper each run because each time it wears it changes the clutch pressure, so every now & then it might need a slight nip up

Ive found a few good ways to set it.

here is one
The best way to set the Slipper Clutch is as follows: turn the car on (transmitter FIRST!) and face it away from you. Now, place both forearms on both rear tires, pressing down firmly. With the transmitter in one hand, give the car some throttle. One of two things will happen; either the car will make a slipping sound (Slipper Clutch is loose) or the front wheels will lift off the table (Slipper Clutch is too tight). The optimum setting is to set the Slipper Clutch so the front end ALMOST lifts off the table. You may need to fine tune it on the track.
and for nitro cars
accelerate, if u hear it & the motors rpm dont match the speed its to loose,
or hold the rear wheels & try to turn the slipper by hand, if u cant its to tight. It should move slowly
Old 08-30-2011, 04:27 PM
namewasdallas

I figure I'd post this in here cause your a SCT people, I got a brand new Castle Creations 1415, 2400kv Motor Just orderd it but I want to get the 3800kv So I need to sell it. Motor is good for up to 5s

Asking $100.00 brand new

Old 09-01-2011, 02:36 AM
phmaximus

Good luck m8, I run the 35a Ezrun combos & u get the motor, esc & program card for under $60

Im running 4 1/10 scale cars with this setup & i dont know why u would need any more????
my slash pulls wheelies on 11.1v & my tamiya TL01B pulls wheelies on grass & has a top speed of 107km/h both run a 35a ESC (yeahracing & a ezrun).
why would anyone buy that motor??? its retail price is $189???????? why
that motor is useless on 2s & 3s
even on 4s it does not have the rpm that a 35a 3900kv motor has on 2s???
it only compares to a cheep ezrun combo with a 3900kv motor on 2s if u are running a 5s lipo.
Shure it will have more torque, but seriously guys how much torque to u want & who wants to run 5s?

I think u might have more luck with the 1/8 buggy guys (Hyper 9e, Losi 8ight, Caster Fusion, HB Ve8)
Old 09-01-2011, 07:50 PM
namewasdallas

This motor can be geared way better then those cheap ezrun hot boxes. It's also a 4 pole, built of better matierals. It's meant to move big 4x4 SCT trucks, and this motor will move on 3s and 4s if you ran it on 5's it would be out of control. Castle Makes some of the best non sensored motor's.
 The 1415 motor spins 75,000rpms max.

I talked to greg over at castle and he said you can throw any gearing you want at this 1/10th scale motor and it will not overheat.

Also higher kv doesnt always mean more speed. your 3900kv motor on 2s deff doesnt spin more rpm then the 2400kv motor on 4s.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:07 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Because you get what you pay for with motors/ESCs. What he needs (assuming his is the 2X4 slash), is the 1410 3800kv Castle motor. Pair that with the MMP and you have a killer combo, I run it with the MMP SCT Edition on a 40c 2s Turnigy LiPo on my 4X4 and itll wheelie as long as you want it to, and no matter how good the tire bead, that castle setup seems to think they are unnecessary. On a 2X4 Slash, this setup would be more than enough for whatever he needs, and it is backed by the best customer support Ive ever seen short of RPM parts. Only drawback is the motor itself is a 3s max, but gearing limits everything anyways. Sure other motors spin faster but if the FDR doesnt match it or wont allow taller gearing then all you are doing is....well........spinning a motor really fast.

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Good luck m8, I run the 35a Ezrun combos & u get the motor, esc & program card for under $60

Im running 4 1/10 scale cars with this setup & i dont know why u would need any more????
my slash pulls wheelies on 11.1v & my tamiya TL01B pulls wheelies on grass & has a top speed of 107km/h both run a 35a ESC (yeahracing & a ezrun).
why would anyone buy that motor??? its retail price is $189???????? why
that motor is useless on 2s & 3s
even on 4s it does not have the rpm that a 35a 3900kv motor has on 2s???
it only compares to a cheep ezrun combo with a 3900kv motor on 2s if u are running a 5s lipo.
Shure it will have more torque, but seriously guys how much torque to u want & who wants to run 5s?

I think u might have more luck with the 1/8 buggy guys (Hyper 9e, Losi 8ight, Caster Fusion, HB Ve8)
Old 09-02-2011, 04:05 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: namewasdallas
kv doesnt always mean more speed. your 3900kv motor on 2s deff doesnt spin more rpm then the 2400kv motor on 4s.

Ummm who told u that??????? thay are very wrong, SORRY but its very simple to work out. times volts by KV and it will give u the RPM.

KV as we use it refers to the rpm constant of a motor - it is the number of revolutions per minute that the motor will turn when 1V (one Volt) is applied with no load attached to the motor.

check this page
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9622661/anchors_10572627/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#10572627[/link]
Old 09-02-2011, 07:35 PM
thehuntingterminator

phaximus is right. the 2s 3900kv combo is spinning somewhere around 6-7000 RPMs faster than the other option.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:05 AM
potapple

I looks cool and powerful.wanna have one
Old 09-03-2011, 04:34 AM
phmaximus

Lower KV motors on a higher voltage are more efficient, especially if ur system is getting hot, heat is lost energy.... meh the 35a systems are the best bang for buck just watch gearing & motor temps.

How's Ive got all the LED's on the RPM bumper, roof bar & tail lights wired up YAY!!!! not the right resistors tho, its double the needed resistance, but it will do for now, i couldent wait for the right ones... thay are very bright so it will be interesting to see how bright thay go
ive even fitted a rc light dual intencity brake light controller, it looks cool IMO, well ill get some pic's in the week
Old 09-03-2011, 03:33 PM
phmaximus

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2011, 04:56 PM
momogt

i like the lower kv motors i run a 4074 2150kv motor im 2wd slash now on 3s i just my mip cvd,s and proline dirt paws some my say that motor is overkill for a 2wd but my setup now is the best set-up i ever had in my slash i set my mmp esc to 60% punch ,torque control 7%, timing 3 degrees 21/52 gearing my truck is fast and has plenty of torque and runs cool motor and esc
Old 09-04-2011, 11:24 AM
momogt

just did some onroad bashing with my anaconda tires at a med size parking hit 44.1mph with my setup if i had more room i could have went faster my motor is only turning 23865 rpm,s but it hit that speed fast
Old 09-04-2011, 12:25 PM
thehuntingterminator

do you have your body vented?
Old 09-04-2011, 01:31 PM
thehuntingterminator

guys come join one of the only live RC chat rooms on the net. my username is the same as on here. you will have to create a log in, but here's a link to the chat room:www.beatyourtruck.com/forum/addonchat.php
Old 09-04-2011, 03:07 PM
phmaximus

nice, we clocked mine to around 60km/h following it, my wife was driving the real car while was driving the slash damm we got some weird looks from cars going the other way. im hoping th should hit 80km/h on 11.1v..... next time ill get a vid now she wont be so nervous.

hey we should have a 3s lipo shoot out, get vids of ur top speed

and yes my body is vented. dont know about live chat, ive got a great ability of pissing people off, lol
Old 09-04-2011, 03:24 PM
momogt

no my body wasnt vented
ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

do you have your body vented?
Old 09-04-2011, 07:28 PM
phmaximus

YAY got my new Traxxas link 4ch controller, no more binding each time i change cars....

Does anyone understand the model lock function???
all i can make from it... correct me im in wrong im only assuming...
is it when u lock the model, does that mean any setup changes wont be saved when the tx is turned off???
So does that mean if its unlocked it will save the setup changes as thay are entered???
Old 09-04-2011, 07:36 PM
thehuntingterminator

what radio were you previously using?
ORIGINAL: phmaximus

YAY got my new Traxxas link 4ch controller, no more binding each time i change cars....

Does anyone understand the model lock function???
all i can make from it... correct me im in wrong im only assuming...
is it when u lock the model, does that mean any setup changes wont be saved when the tx is turned off???
So does that mean if its unlocked it will save the setup changes as thay are entered???
Old 09-05-2011, 12:23 AM
phmaximus

It was the #2242 standard 2.4ghz with the multi function knob but did not have traxxas link.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 AM
thehuntingterminator

you should have just bought one with model memory.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:58 AM
phmaximus

It is the one with model memory, Just incase u dont know all the traxxas link TX's have model memory, the ones with out link dont (like my old 2.4ghz controller with multi function knob) thats why i was saying i dont have to bind each time i change cars..... & thats the main reson i bought this controller, it can support up to 20 models & the models can support 20 controllers, meaning i could have 20 controllers & 20 cars, and i could grab any car & any controller and thay will work with out any setup or model selection.

Trust me i know that when u bind a new reciver it automaticly saves it, it even states that in the manual.

But does anyone know, with out guessing

What The model lock function does....
Old 09-06-2011, 02:19 AM
phmaximus

TQ 2.4GHz High Output 4-Channel Transmitter and Receiver with Traxxas Link

Just switch on and drive! With Traxxas spread-spectrum technology, there's no need to check what frequency other drivers are on, or worry about interference from other transmitters. The 2.4GHz circuitry automatically locates and locks onto an open frequency each time you switch it on. The exclusive Traxxas Link™ automatic model recognition software is a breakthrough in "model memory" that makes it easier than ever to enjoy multiple Traxxas Link enabled models without juggling transmitters or scrolling through complex menus searching for model names. Each time the transmitter is bound to a new receiver, it saves that receiver in its memory, along with all the model settings assigned to that receiver. The next time that transmitter and any previously bound receiver (up to 20!) are switched on, the transmitter automatically recalls the settings for that receiver. Just power up the transmitter and the model you want to drive, and the settings for that model are dialed in immediately! The TQ 2.4GHz also features failsafe circuitry and fully adjustable tuning options including exponential, dual rates, endpoints, sub-trim and more. The 4-channel transmitter includes a two-position third channel switch and 3-position fourth channel switch for full compatibility with Traxxas models equipped with reversing transmissions and T-Lock™ differentials. The additional channels are also perfect for operating scale functions, rear-steer options, and other custom controls.
•2.4GHz Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS) clarity and control
•Automatically locates and locks onto an open frequency when you switch it on
•Exclusive Traxxas Link™ automatic model recognition (patent pending)
•Cross-bind up to 20 Traxxas Link enabled transmitters and receivers for worry-free model management.
•High output signal for maximum range
•Simple two-button programming interface: ◦Steering and throttle sensitivity (Expo)
â—¦Steering and braking dual rate
â—¦Steering and throttle end points
â—¦Steering and throttle sub-trim

•
•Programmable multi-function knob
•Integrated fail-safe security
•Fast 13ms frame rate and 4-17ms latency provides instant response and precise control
•5-channel receiver with 2 steering inputs for dual servo systems
•Two-color status LED
•Requires only 4 AA batteries
•Comfortable ergonomic design
•Two-position third channel switch and 3-position fourth channel switch for full compatibility with Traxxas models equipped with reversing transmissions and T-Lock™ differentials
•Additional channels are also perfect for operating scale functions, rear-steer options, and other custom controls in any R/C model
•5-channel micro receiver with two steering servo inputs for dual-servo use
•No need to carry crystals or select channels
•Comfortable TQ case design
•Worry-free long range control
•50/50 or 70/30 trigger neutral adjustment
•Lifetime Electronics Warranty and total Traxxas support.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.