Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:33 PM
bnangle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

I just looked at the 3pm and it actually requires a 6volt nicad pack.That is 30 dollars plus the charger is 30 dollars.I may have to hold off for a week or two.I thought I could use regular AA batteries like always.Also I read that the Slash will accept other traxxas upgrade parts or aluminum parts but what traxxas vehicle is it.I see the stampede uses different a arms than the bandit.thanks again.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:47 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3PM FASST uses AA cells in the transmitter just like most do. I use duracell rechargeables in mine. I think the reference to a 6v nicad is for an optional receiver pack, ie if you're running it in a nitro car. BTW, the stock ESC and servo work fine with FASST adn the receiver fits in the traxxas box with room to spare.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:53 PM
crazysavage

ORIGINAL: bnangle

I just looked at the 3pm and it actually requires a 6volt nicad pack.That is 30 dollars plus the charger is 30 dollars.I may have to hold off for a week or two.I thought I could use regular AA batteries like always.Also I read that the Slash will accept other traxxas upgrade parts or aluminum parts but what traxxas vehicle is it.I see the stampede uses different a arms than the bandit.thanks again.
I run the long arm kit for the stampede from Fastlane machine as well as the aluminum trans mission. My brush less system cranks out so much power that the added weight has made it a much better track truck. I also run buggy wheels and tires
http://www.ofna.com/tires-monster.html#pirate
you can run that radio on AA's
Old 07-22-2008, 09:04 PM
bnangle

Cool,Thanks guys.I am ordering it after this post.I also posted some of my TXT pics in my gallery if you want to get it out.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:05 PM
dacaur

the arms on the slash are rustler arms.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:09 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: dacaur

the arms on the slash are rustler arms.

They are also the same arms from the Stampede............................
Old 07-22-2008, 10:33 PM
bnangle

I odered the radio but I am now puzzled by the fact that my back order status says order pending instead of late july.I ordered it on the 11th.I wonder if I didnt make this shipment and will have to wait again.Oh well gives me more time to get another battery.does anyone know if an 8 cell flat pack would fit or would it have to be a hump pack?thanks
Old 07-23-2008, 05:15 AM
crazysavage

I odered the radio but I am now puzzled by the fact that my back order status says order pending instead of late july.I ordered it on the 11th.I wonder if I didnt make this shipment and will have to wait again.Oh well gives me more time to get another battery.does anyone know if an 8 cell flat pack would fit or would it have to be a hump pack?thanks
If you can afford it, get a good lipo pack and charger combination at 7.4 volts. and a voltage cutoff unit. You will get better run times and they are legal at most race tracks and if you get a brushless system you will be ready. Lipos can be charged over and over again all day long.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:00 AM
dacaur

it would have to be a hump pack. a 7 cell is the biggest flat pack that will fit
Old 07-23-2008, 03:32 PM
bnangle

I have a li-po charger but no li-po battery.I dont know if I am ready to make that jump.After 25 years I am shocked to see batteries now with 5000mah.I am used 1000,1100 and 1200 from 1987.I'll check it out though.

UPDATE.I know why my order says order pending and everyone else says late july.When I ordered my Slash I ordered specifically A6 or the Blue one.If I just put the regular stock number in it would be telling them I want the first available color.I didnt know that and I cant change it so if blue slashes ship late july I will get one if not I'll have to wait.There are some hobby shops in California that have them but I'll be patient.

Also does anyone have any reccomended first hop ups I should get.I already got a traxxas wheelie bar because I noticed the slashes on youtube that are brushless were doing wheelies most of the time.I think alot of enjoyment in this hobby besides driving them is bidding on hop ups on ebay and making a car look awesome.This isnt going to be like my TXT though.I am going to drive this one and find a dirt track.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:02 PM
crazysavage

I have a li-po charger but no li-po battery.I dont know if I am ready to make that jump.After 25 years I am shocked to see batteries now with 5000mah.I am used 1000,1100 and 1200 from 1987.I'll check it out though.

UPDATE.I know why my order says order pending and everyone else says late july.When I ordered my Slash I ordered specifically A6 or the Blue one.If I just put the regular stock number in it would be telling them I want the first available color.I didnt know that and I cant change it so if blue slashes ship late july I will get one if not I'll have to wait.There are some hobby shops in California that have them but I'll be patient.

Also does anyone have any reccomended first hop ups I should get.I already got a traxxas wheelie bar because I noticed the slashes on youtube that are brushless were doing wheelies most of the time.I think alot of enjoyment in this hobby besides driving them is bidding on hop ups on ebay and making a car look awesome.This isnt going to be like my TXT though.I am going to drive this one and find a dirt track.
There are four of us in this area who are working on this truck to get it more race worthy. It handles well as a stock truck but we are all serious nitro racers and we just needed brushless to justify running them. I was falling asleep on the drivers stand down the straights. Now the problem rides in the fact that now we have to find tires that can handle the power and still looks a little like the stock truck so we got extended arms and fitted buggy wheel adapters and buggy rims and tires. The extended arms made it handle great and the extra weight of the aluminum helped settle the truck down and correct the zero offset of the tires. Now we are looking into the arms from the lightning stadium 10th scale and from the Jammin CRT.5 as a cheaper and maybe better alturnitive to aluminum. So what I would do is run it stock, pick up an assortment of the Losi 10th scale springs for the front and rear, install the traxxas aluminum shock caps, play with your shock oils to match the springs and give us some time to work out the bugs in our ideas and then take advantage of our mistakes and waisted money to find the ultimate set up for racing. Some people are just fine with running the truck for speed and bashing and some are happy running a low cost spec class and I am fine with that ( I may get another one and keep it stock for spec class racing). So you need to manipulate the truck into your desires and find the fun spot. As far as Lipo goes, I would say go for it. You can get a protek 4000mamp 7.4 volt pack for about $60 bucks and that is the price of a good 7cell and it can be charged faster and more often and give you better punch speed and run time. My buddy bought 2 of them for $15 more than I paid for one 5000 7.4 max amps pack at the hobby shop but I was im patient and had to have it now. I thought I would never run electric but now I am hooked
Old 07-23-2008, 04:15 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Doesn't running the extended front arms defeat the scale look of the truck?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:20 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Doesn't running the extended front arms defeat the scale look of the truck?
so we got extended arms and fitted buggy wheel adapters and buggy rims and tires. The extended arms made it handle great and the extra weight of the aluminum helped settle the truck down and correct the zero offset of the tires.
longer arms with 0 offset wheels means the outside of the tire is in about the same place.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:01 PM
crazysavage

We just had a parking lot race (oval) with ofna 1/8th scale trued foam buggy tires. We let the suspension arms sag a little bit to lower the center of gravity, adjusted the turn buckles to take out the excessive camber angle on the wheels and I was able to harness the Mamba Max 7700 with a 14 tooth pinion and a 90 tooth spur gear running a Max Amps 5000mah 11.1 batt. This was an unreal high speed, full control blast with 2 200ft staights and 2 45ft sweepers. One lap was 10 to 12 seconds on a stop watch....just fascinating is the only word I can describe this fun run. The fast lane machine aluminum tranny box pulls off a good deal of motor heat, smooths out the drivetrain, reduces most of the inherant spur gear wobble and makes the truck nearly bullet proof to excessive horse power I ran 110 degrees on the battery, 135 on the speed control and 141 on the moter after 18 minutes of asphalt pounding. By the Way, Jaco tires is comming out with a set of foam tires for the stampede/rustler at 4.1 inches in diameter by 1.9 inches wide with a 12mm hex. Should be a direct bolt on. Can you say carve up some turns on asphalt!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVCA9&P=7
Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 AM
mercerbeef

anyone know which cvd's fit the slash? i'm hearing jato or rustler, and my lhs doesn't keep upgrades in stock.
or
which existing traxxas upgrades fit? ie. stampede, rustler, jato etc.....
Old 07-24-2008, 12:10 PM
fullauto4u

Just got back from a nice big dirt / sand parking lot near the house, we took the Slash out and beat it up a bit. The thing really goes good and takes some huge air jumps nicely! We were doing jumps of off some dirt mounds, with the truck getting 3' of air and it was landing on all fours nice and neat! This truck is'nt bad for the $$

This truck ran for almost 30 minutes with a DTX-4200 mah battery. [8D]
Old 07-24-2008, 12:39 PM
nickd

Can one of you please do me a big favor
I would like someone to measure the width of the slash body at the wheel arches front and back for me.
I am interested in using the body on a custom build. Thanks Nick
Old 07-24-2008, 07:29 PM
nlsolja26

Does anyone know if lipo batteries will work with the stock setup, without frying the motor/esc? If so which lipo's would you recommend...2s, 3s??
Old 07-24-2008, 08:14 PM
BuzzBomber

2S Lipos will work fine with the stock setup, but you will have to monitor voltage carefully to avoid damaging the battery or add an external LVC (low voltage cutoff) such as the Novak Smart Stop to protect the batteries.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:35 AM
crazysavage

ORIGINAL: nickd

Can one of you please do me a big favor
I would like someone to measure the width of the slash body at the wheel arches front and back for me.
I am interested in using the body on a custom build. Thanks Nick
I cant measure at this moment but I can assure you that it fits perfectly on an eighth scale buggy and neweramodels has a corr type body that is ford 150ishof the same size.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Jerzferno

CrazySavage. Since you are changing this and changing that, why did you get the Slash? Should have bought somehting else, or just the body. You killing the whole purpose of this truck by defeating the scale look. As for LiPo and brushless being legal at most tracks? Have you heard the term Slash Spec class? Thats what the majority of the tracks are running the Slashes as. Spec meaning stock or close to stock.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:09 AM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: Jerzferno

CrazySavage. Since you are changing this and changing that, why did you get the Slash? Should have bought somehting else, or just the body. You killing the whole purpose of this truck by defeating the scale look.
Well, from what ive read in his posts, hes keeping it pretty scale looking.. only a picture will tell for sure.

Even if he isn't, its really his personal choice what he does to his truck.
The slash actually has quite a few things going for it that makes it great other than just a scale look.
Wheelbase.... 13.5 inches - thats a nice long wheelbase, which makes for great handling
Brushless ready transmission, what other truck can you get for $200 that has an all metal tranny and a planetary gear diff?
digital, high torque, "waterproof" steering servo
durable
compatible with rustler upgrades
higher ground clearance than a rustler, but not has top heavy as a stampede, and a wheelbase almost 2" longer than either.
front and rear bumpers - they are tough and make the truck look tough - great looking and functional ,what other truck has that?
comes with high current connectors installed (and "waterproof" to boot)

I'm sure in forgetting some things, but those are the reasons I got the slash... the scale look i can take or leave... dont care one way or the other honstly, but even without it, the slash is a great truck!!! Come winter, im going to get myself a rustler ski kit, and bash my slash though the snow!
Old 07-25-2008, 01:37 PM
nickd

ORIGINAL: crazysavage

I cant measure at this moment but I can assure you that it fits perfectly on an eighth scale buggy and neweramodels has a corr type body that is ford 150ishof the same size.
If you could get the measuremnts it would be great, I am looking to make a tough truck style offroader using wheely king axles which would mean that I need the body to be 11 1/2 inches wide approx (need to measure the axles with other wheels)
I always thought the new era one was larger then the slash.
Thanks
Old 07-25-2008, 03:01 PM
crazysavage

ORIGINAL: Jerzferno

CrazySavage. Since you are changing this and changing that, why did you get the Slash? Should have bought somehting else, or just the body. You killing the whole purpose of this truck by defeating the scale look. As for LiPo and brushless being legal at most tracks? Have you heard the term Slash Spec class? Thats what the majority of the tracks are running the Slashes as. Spec meaning stock or close to stock.
Ready to runs are the new breed....I have been in this hobby for 26years...if we wanted to have something different, we made it...if it wasnt for tinkerers like me the truggy would not be around...it was invented by tinkerers whole took buggies and made trucks from them. It is alright to have a closed mind about some things but my mind is wide open at all times and racing brings change and inprovement and my changes have brought im provement to this truck and it looks better than stock and when I am done I will post quality photos and you can judge for yourself or you can thumb your nose at it because that is your right,and yes I have seen spec classes at several of the tracks I race at and that is why I have 2 slashes thank you! If the track is small enough, I enjoy the spec class. I have spent alot of money making this truck better in every way and mark my words...from my savage to my old school truggy to this slash I am building, my ideas and changes will end up in the after market companies cad drawings and professionally made upgrades will be doing for the slash what I am doing to it by hand and trial and error. If everone would think like you nothing would ever change and you would be going out hunting everday to survive instead driving a high powered race car on a PS2 or blasting flesh into pudding at the HALO tourniment. Thanks for thinking.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:46 AM
BuzzBomber

Little bit of hyperbole, dontcha think? There's nothing wrong with innovation, but then again, there's nothing wrong with keeping a vehicle stock if it works for you or the rules call for it...live and let live. I'll be racing my Slash in stock spec class tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.