Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Traxxas Stampede
67.19%
Losi High Roller
32.81%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Traxxas Stampede or Losi High Roller??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Chris_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas Stampede or Losi High Roller??

I was talking about building a ball diff. If the slipper is sooo loose it slips soo much, then you will have a problem with the top shafts burning up because the heat of it slipping will bbe extremely hot.

And the gear diff WILL hold oil, [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7639029/anchors_8113478/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#8113478[/link]. Even if it only holds it for a while, if there's a will there's a way!!!!! I would think to seal it would be like to seal an engine with an air leak.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:58 PM
thewhitemule

my apologies, Chris. I think I will just bite the bullet and get a t4 like everyone else. I can't bring myself to get a pede. any other ideas on durable BL/lipo bashing setups? I am thinking about converting a nitro rs4 mt3.0. Any suggestions would be welcome!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Chris_RC

The xxx-t is more durable than the T4.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

T4. Associated all the way!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

ORIGINAL: thewhitemule

my apologies, Chris. I think I will just bite the bullet and get a t4 like everyone else. I can't bring myself to get a pede. any other ideas on durable BL/lipo bashing setups? I am thinking about converting a nitro rs4 mt3.0. Any suggestions would be welcome!!!

Your problem isn`t the truck , it`s the 3S lipo . Using that battery you will have problems in a T4 as well . I have driven the High roller several times with brushless and 2S lipo and can`t wait to get one myself .
Old 11-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

ORIGINAL: sheograth

I'd get the pede as well. The Losi 2wd off road transmission STILL has trouble with high power motors.

Really ? I race my XXX-CR and XXX-T CR with brushless and no problems at all . I`ve ran a guys High Roller several times with a brushless and 2S lipo , no problems at all .

For all the naysayers , have you even driven a High Roller ?
Old 11-25-2008, 03:17 AM
boomchank7

It seems that many really like the HPI Firestorm. It has all metal gears. Brushless Ready and raceable.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:36 AM
thewhitemule

I am definitely a fan of HPI. I gave my dad my savage X. His truck is always running at the end of the day! One particular day, he had a head-on collision with my muggy and blew it asunder, while he finished his tank of fuel with only a couple scrapes. That same day, he also demolished my cousins s-maxx. When they had a collision, he must've knocked the rx batteries loose in the s-maxx, because it took off full throttle under a gate that was about 4 inches off the ground, also rendering it asunder.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:11 PM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Redvanmafic, so your pretty much saying that that have drove the HIGHroller already because of your strong comments? How was it?

DarkShadow, I have never tested a Losi gear diff with 5700/3s power and there is no need to. My stock motor is fine for me. [8D] BUT if you build a ball diff right you wont have any problems. key word: IF YOU BUILD IT RIGHT!!!!

I already posted this on that other thread about the highroller, and if built properly plastic gears will handle lower turn brushed/brushless power.

As an example: [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a-bz8RJ4aA[/link]

Losi has been using that transmission for 8 years with it only being revised (with the failure of the gen 2 tranny). Also if you build the Steal transmission it will be fine.
The ball diff isnt the problem, its the plastic gears that I had major issues with in my brushless DT and speet t
Old 11-25-2008, 02:44 PM
thewhitemule

Dark Shadow, seems like you might have some answers for me! Did you ever resolve the issues in your desert truck and speed t?
Old 11-25-2008, 06:06 PM
04DarkShadowGT

Dark Shadow, seems like you might have some answers for me! Did you ever resolve the issues in your desert truck and speed t?
You have to be very careful setting up the slipper clutch if you are going to run 3S lipo. There is no fix as you cannot get any metal replacement gears for the idler gear. Just be very careful and dont punch it in high traction situations.

Too tight on the slipper and you will strip internal gears in the transmission.

Too loose on the slipper and you may run into heat issues as mentioned above.

Just alot of trial and error, but it will never be as strong as a Ruster VXL or Firestorm Flux transmission, or even a Ruster XL-5 after you add the alum idler for that matter.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Chris_RC

Also try boiling the plastic gears. It will make them stronger.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 PM
thewhitemule

thanks, guys. i think i will put the stock electronics back in the truck and give it to my little brother. today, i bought a associated t4 and when attempting to assemble the diff, the diff thrust bolt broke off inside the locking t nut. can't win for losing around here!
Old 12-26-2008, 05:19 PM
LevelCarnivore1

actually i have a highroller and its pretty sweet. especialy pricewise. i havent got it stuck yet its really powerfull
Old 12-27-2008, 10:52 PM
smokinxtreme

PEDE..............FTW
Old 01-05-2009, 04:36 PM
richvarner

I don't think I have ever posted on this forum, but I registered at some point.

Anyway, I bought the High Roller the day after Christmas and, at the same time, bought a sidewinder 5700 BL and 7 cell nimh. This thing is a blast! I will give it a fair review. It ran perfect for (2) 6 cell packs and 5 seven cell packs. This was 90% on a track a neighbor built that has a lot of bumps, has several jumps and is mostly loose dirt. Then, as my 5th 7 cell pack was winding down, I landed a jump (none of the jumps are anymore than a foot or two), hit the throttle and heard the gears grinding!! It actually lasted longer than I expected. This took me about a week to go through these packs.

I will say this, it drove fantastic on the track. Suspension was perfect. Very stable, as I power slided around the corners. Tires bit nicely. And I was racing with (2) stampedes that had the stock motor and 7 cell batts. Obviously, I was faster, but I also out handled them.

I sometimes wish I bought a Pede VXL, but I like working on my trucks. I also think the High Roller looks MUCH better than the Stampede. Even, the two guys driving the pedes loved the look of my truck.

The biggest problem, for me, is parts availability. I have searched and searched and NO ONE has the tranny rebuild kit in stock, so my truck is just sitting there.

I would love to get a good set of metal gears for the tranny, but that may never become an option.

I will play around with shims when I rebuild the tranny and I am boiling the gears and packing the diff with Tamiya anti wear grease.

We will see.........if I ever get the parts.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Redvanmafia

some of you guys sound like oh i put a 3s lipo and a 5700 ina highroller, thats all you did was put one in, didnt run it or nothing and had no probs with it[&:]
Old 01-05-2009, 06:33 PM
DS Machine

I've got a 'Pede VXL, and running it is hysterical with a Lipo. Lots of torque, and the thing is completely out of control once the front end starts lifting off the ground. It doesn't handle all that well at high speeds but it's a fun, fun truck.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Williwa

DOESN'T ANYONE HAVE A PEDE AND A LOSI HIGHROLLER???
Old 01-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Redvanmafia

why would you want to?, there both the same style cept one has no aftermarket support and a weak trans
Old 01-05-2009, 08:49 PM
smaxx311

you can put the mamba max in my rustler
[;O]
Old 01-05-2009, 10:07 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I really like my stampede. I have a 16t double in it, and it moves pretty good. The only thing i have really broken in probably 5 years was the idler gear, but the stock one handled the 16t for a long time with the slipper locked before i stripped it. It probably isnt the best handling truck, but it sure is a fun and durable truck
Old 01-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Redvanmafia

I love my pede as well!, traxxas stampedes are fun trucks, there inexpensive and theres endless ways to upgrade/customize them now with brushless technology there wicked fast too,
Old 01-06-2009, 09:33 AM
trx1
My Feedback: (2)

i own a gen 1 pede, but want to try the losi out!
Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Some of you are funny You put 3s Lipo and brushless into a car that has plastic tranny gears and is geared towards little kids and expect it to be indestructible lol. The best advice you can get will be right after this particular sentence.

GET WHAT YOU WANT.

Don't let a website full of fanboys to particular brands sway your decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.