Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Traxxas Stampede
67.19%
Losi High Roller
32.81%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Traxxas Stampede or Losi High Roller??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:59 PM
richvarner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas Stampede or Losi High Roller??

^^Amen! I bought the high roller after I had a MLST a year ago, so I know about the losi truck diff problems. I guess I hoped they were worked out, but I just ordered 3 sets of trans gears and if I blow through those in a month or so, I will put the truck back to stock and sell it. Then put the sidewinder in something that can handle it. There just aren't very many high lift 2wd trucks out there, which is what I want. I could get a Pede, but I just wanted soemthing a little different, because another guy in my neighborhood just got a Pede (which makes 3 now). I don't want to be the fourth, but if my truck doesn't hold up, I may be.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:17 PM
thewhitemule

I agree with you completely, rich. Hopefully, robinson or some other company will make metal trans gears soon, before the truck becomes extinct.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:26 AM
New_RC_Guy

I have a stock high roller and love it, can't wait to juice this puppy up! thanks for the set up tip, what kind of run time do you get out of that brushless with the 2s batt set up?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:40 AM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: caseyddr

Some of you are funny You put 3s Lipo and brushless into a car that has plastic tranny gears and is geared towards little kids and expect it to be indestructible lol. The best advice you can get will be right after this particular sentence.

GET WHAT YOU WANT.

Don't let a website full of fanboys to particular brands sway your decision.
See thats just the thing though, for the stampede traxxas sells a steel idler that is less than $3 and will pretty much make the trans bulletproof even on 3S lipo. It is also meant for entry level people but for cheap can be made to handle all the power you want to throw at it. The Losi cant, that is the difference.

If thats not enough you can buy the entire gear set in metal for under $20.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Kloft

Hi,
I got a xl-5 pede about a month ago. I just got a brushless kit off ebay for 70 bucks. Its from a company called yeah racing and it comes with a programing card and everything. We have radar gun and it will hit 45+ mph easily. The only other upgrade i have so far is a cheap 7 cell ni-cd pack

Ive had no problems with my pedes transmission or anything like that

so in my opinion i would DEFINATELY rather get a cheap xl-5 for $140(thats how much they are at my local hobbytown now) than a high roller for around $170 when they are having so many problems and crappy aftermarket possibilities

and after all you CAN NOT beat traxxas support (or their cars for that matter)
Old 02-13-2009, 11:11 PM
esmoglo

I just got a High Roller in blue for a low price of $121 on eaby new. I took it out of the box and put in a freshly charged six cell Venom pack and ran/took it out for a spin. This thing is a PIG big time. It cant even do a wheele and if you go to far you will loose transmitter range. There are a few things I like and just a few. I like the body its nice, I like the rigid shock towers they are nice, I like the aluminum body shocks and that's it. This truck cant move out of its own way. Horizon Hobby should be taken to court for falsely advertising this product based on the video they have on there sight saying this can do wheels. Most of my cars are Traxxas one HPI one Exceed RC car and this Losi product. Who ever developed this product should be fired for not finishing it! This is a poorly thought out RC Truck and in no way can compete with any Traxxas electric product. The standard Stampede is a much better truck in every aspect. Don't buy this PIG its not worth even $75 bucks as far as I am concerned. I will call LOSI on Monday to see if what I am experiencing is normal but after reading on many forums it seems to be the norm.

Angelo
Old 02-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Chris_RC

1st, you battery SUCKS. I bet it is a 1800 nicad right? Even if it is better, it wont give the punch as the Losi batteries they used when they were testing.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:01 AM
esmoglo

I used a Venom 3300 NIMH six cell that runs great on all my other cars like HPI Sprint and the Drift Star and standard Rustler. Not sure why this truck needs a different battery. I am thinking to put in a Traxxas XL5 Esc and a Titan motor so I can run 7 cell packs that should get this thing moving! The battery I used is a good battery its the truck that sucks as far as I am concerned and not the pack.

Angelo
Old 02-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Redvanmafia

stampede
Old 02-14-2009, 07:40 AM
esmoglo

Truth be told this is ToyrRus RC car performance and not a quality RC product. I will be doing a test today to see if I can improve the range of this thing. I will take the crystal out of the stock radio and put it in a Traxxas radio to see if range is improves any. If it still sucks then I will try a Traxxas receiver next. Next stop XL5 ESC and Titan motor! We will call the project StampedeRoller! Also the suspension arms are like tooth picks on this truck as compaired to the Traxxas.

Angelo
Old 02-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: esmoglo

I used a Venom 3300 NIMH six cell that runs great on all my other cars like HPI Sprint and the Drift Star and standard Rustler. Not sure why this truck needs a different battery. I am thinking to put in a Traxxas XL5 Esc and a Titan motor so I can run 7 cell packs that should get this thing moving! The battery I used is a good battery its the truck that sucks as far as I am concerned and not the pack.

Angelo
ehh.....Those are ok packs. But what I was trying to get to you was that Losi used their batteries when testing, which definitly makes it faster and wheelie. Put an Orion 15t sv2 BB motor and that thing will fly.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:33 PM
esmoglo

Cool thanks for the info. Today I had a bunch of spar time on my hands so I put in the Traxxas titan 550 and XL5 esc and it really did not improve the performance so I but the Losi stuff back on the truck. I got this because of the cheep price and thought I would try it out. But now I may or may not keep it I have a stampede and this Highroller but I think the Lois will go on Craigslist, I should make up my mind this week. Also I used a Traxxas Radio with the Losi crystal and it did not improve the distance performance so I suspect the receiver is not that good I will test this next with a Traxxas receiver to see if improve performance. One more note I also ran the truck on a brand new Traxxas high end Power Cell series 3 battery and no performance improvements were noted. By the way this is a very good battery!

Angelo
Old 02-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Chris_RC

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/23171]THIS[/link] is the battery Losi used in testing. The 3300 Traxxxas battery is ok.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:03 AM
phoenix15477

I gotta go with the Pede! I've had mine for two years now and it still holds up like a trooper.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57477.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	1137053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17865.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1137054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83112.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1137055  
Old 02-16-2009, 11:09 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a High Roller in blue for a low price of $121 on eaby new. I took it out of the box and put in a freshly charged six cell Venom pack and ran/took it out for a spin. This thing is a PIG big time. It cant even do a wheele and if you go to far you will loose transmitter range. There are a few things I like and just a few. I like the body its nice, I like the rigid shock towers they are nice, I like the aluminum body shocks and that's it. This truck cant move out of its own way. Horizon Hobby should be taken to court for falsely advertising this product based on the video they have on there sight saying this can do wheels. Most of my cars are Traxxas one HPI one Exceed RC car and this Losi product. Who ever developed this product should be fired for not finishing it! This is a poorly thought out RC Truck and in no way can compete with any Traxxas electric product. The standard Stampede is a much better truck in every aspect. Don't buy this PIG its not worth even $75 bucks as far as I am concerned. I will call LOSI on Monday to see if what I am experiencing is normal but after reading on many forums it seems to be the norm.

Angelo
In rc driver they tested it and the top speed was 17mph.......Thats a shame i do think it looks cool...
Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Kloft
so in my opinion i would DEFINATELY rather get a cheap xl-5 for $140(thats how much they are at my local hobbytown now) than a high roller for around $170 when they are having so many problems and crappy aftermarket possibilities
The highroller is $140 too, [link]http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/30523[/link]. Dont know where you got $170.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:50 PM
esmoglo

Well over a week with this truck and as far as I am concerned its just plain junk! I will be putting mine on craigslist this week. Very very disappointing purchase I will not be buying another Losi RC truck. I cant believe how good Traxxas products are compared to this crap. Losi should not make another RC electric truck if this is the best they can come up with. So in a nut shell the Hightroller just sucks. The standard and VXL Stampede are much better trucks in every aspect. If I ran the high oller as hard as the Stampede it would break the fisrt run its just not made that well.

Angelo
Old 02-18-2009, 10:56 PM
redfisher1974

Well over a week with this truck and as far as I am concerned its just plain junk! I will be putting mine on craigslist this week. Very very disappointing purchase I will not be buying another Losi RC truck. I cant believe how good Traxxas products are compared to this crap. Losi should not make another RC electric truck if this is the best they can come up with. So in a nut shell the Hightroller just sucks. The standard and VXL Stampede are much better trucks in every aspect. If I ran the high oller as hard as the Stampede it would break the fisrt run its just not made that well.

Angelo
So are going to put this in your description on graigslist.....or something like great truck good deal
Old 02-18-2009, 11:01 PM
esmoglo

More like the good deal one!! LOL...

Angelo
ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Angelo
So are going to put this in your description on graigslist.....or something like great truck good deal
Old 02-18-2009, 11:31 PM
fusebmx13

hahaha just say "great truck, runs great. Just don't have the time anymore to drive it" .

So the problem with the highroller is that it breaks a lot?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

hahaha just say "great truck, runs great. Just don't have the time anymore to drive it" .

So the problem with the highroller is that it breaks a lot?
I wouldnt say it breaks alot. I did not break a part when I drove it.

Losi has alot better electrics, you bought a budget monster truck that has been out for 3 months, you got a budget truck. if you wanted to buy a 15 year old truck, you'll get a 15 year old truck with 15 year old quality. I mean c'mon, how can shock caps pop off? Low quality screams out to me.

If you want to buy a GOOD Losi electric, look at the 8ight-E 2.0.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 AM
mufflerbearing

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Losi has alot better electrics, you bought a budget monster truck that has been out for 3 months, you got a budget truck. if you wanted to buy a 15 year old truck, you'll get a 15 year old truck with 15 year old quality. I mean c'mon, how can shock caps pop off? Low quality screams out to me.
Chris: the stampede does not have 15 year old quality. I just bought an XL-5 pede that had full watersealed electronics, traxxas 4 channel micro receiver, and a waterproof high-torque steering servo. It has a full steel tranny just like the slash. I have had several traxxas vehicles in the past and I have never had a shock cap pop off. Oh, I guess a full steel tranny is considered "low quality" to you.. Losi's are well known for their weak trannys.

STAMPEDE ALL THE WAY!!!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:02 AM
esmoglo

I guess my point here is the Losi compared to the Traxxas Stampede is what I am talking about. Fist off the truck is very slow as compared to the Traxxas and that equals less fun for sure cant do very good jumps or other cool stuff, next it will only take a six cell, the truck has no range (at all )before it cuts out and you need to walk closer to it in order to get back in range. Even the product information, no extra body pins, noo washers, no gears and instruction manuals Suck. Now both trucks are in the same price range at $179 each so the notion that you are getting a "Low end product" should not be a factor. If this is the case then the Stampede wins hands down. I used my speed gun and the Losi Highroller doing a blistering 16 MPH WooHoo!! Its really simple to me. Get a Traxxas Stampede you get: A truck that can run 6&7 cell packs, stronger transmission, heavy duty lower arms, better manuals, extra gear, extra washers, tools and better product support way way faster truck like 35 mph on a six cell!! This to me = more fun right out of the box all for $179 the same price as the Losi Highroller so the choice is easy BUY THE STAMPEDE.

Angelo
Old 02-19-2009, 09:57 AM
redfisher1974

I dont think it does 35 stock on six cell....unless your talking about the VXL..
Old 02-19-2009, 12:30 PM
esmoglo

Yes sorry thats what I have the VXL but the standard one with the Titan motor and XL5 Esc will do about 30 to 40 all day long with a seven cell pack.

Angelo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.