Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Traxxas or Crapxas (lol?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Access

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas or Crapxas (lol?)

ORIGINAL: d31805
I think what bothers me about the "TRXashing" that's been going on is it's just that: mudslinging and name-calling. 'They're utter crap'. 'Their new car looks stupid'. Those aren't even criticisms.
Looks / aesthetics can be important for some, it's valid commentary, often times that's the only thing you can talk about a newly announced vehicle since no one has actually driven it yet. How can we talk in any detail about the drive, the handling, the feel or the performance when all we see is promotional videos and pics?

When commenting on looks, I always give reasons, for instance the the curvaceous lines or the presumptive, overdone styling. I much prefer the more aggressive, edgy, sharply defined look. And Traxxas' latest stock bodies seem to be pulling away from this. But honestly I'm a minimalist / functionalist when it comes to bodies and styling and all that. I understand why they did it, and their bodies tend to hold together much better than the more edgy bodies that I have; in the end if you want it to look nice that's what aftermarket bodies are for.

The mudslinging / name-calling isn't that much different than anything else, it's basically what you get when people have to argue a point but they don't have a leg of evidence or real-life data to stand on, so what more can they do besides engage in name-calling, bait and tease, etc.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:01 PM
TheAdge

Looks / aesthetics can be important for some, it's valid commentary, often times that's the only thing you can talk about a newly announced vehicle since no one has actually driven it yet. How can we talk in any detail about the drive, the handling, the feel or the performance when all we see is promotional videos and pics?
Good point. Heh, someone pointed out that all the videos of traxxas' "slow" vehicles are in slow-motion. But yeah, speculation is speculation, good call.

When commenting on looks, I always give reasons, for instance the the curvaceous lines or the presumptive, overdone styling. I much prefer the more aggressive, edgy, sharply defined look. And Traxxas' latest stock bodies seem to be pulling away from this. But honestly I'm a minimalist / functionalist when it comes to bodies and styling and all that. I understand why they did it, and their bodies tend to hold together much better than the more edgy bodies that I have; in the end if you want it to look nice that's what aftermarket bodies are for.
Also a good point. I won't buy an OFNA because I hate how they look, even though I know they're good cars. That and I'm not into 1/8 nitro, heh.

The mudslinging / name-calling isn't that much different than anything else, it's basically what you get when people have to argue a point but they don't have a leg of evidence or real-life data to stand on, so what more can they do besides engage in name-calling, bait and tease, etc.
Looks like I took the bait
Old 01-20-2009, 06:17 PM
mycarisaser

I dont think traxxas is crap! I have owned many. From the rustler , tmaxx ,both emaxxs, and now the e-revo. Of all my statium trucks I have owned the rustler was the most durable but drove like crap. The xxx-t drove the best but wasnt as durable as the rustler, The evader (I was told if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything) Now the t-maxx(it was one of the origianals back in the day) It was awsome and nothing out there quite like it! I bashed it really harder than anything at the time so when it broke I was ok with it. I bought the e-maxx and the same parts broke on it. (So I knew what to upgrade by then) They didnt handle very well but IT WAS A MT and thought thats how they were soposed to handle!!!. I got back into Mts with the savage ss. It was more durable and handled ok better than a stock t or emaxx but not as good as my modded e-maxx! I was happy with its stock durabilaty. Well I seen the lst2. Bought it and it handled great(couldnt belive a mt handled that good) and was the most durable(except the arms, had to rpm) I was amazed! I converted both the savage and lst2 to electric(brushless and lipo) and that where I found that the savage ss could keep up in the durabilaty department with the lst2. Off course after selling the savage and t-maxx and e-maxx. Traxxas came out with the new e-maxx(was hesitant on getting it b/c the newer truck that I got were much better that the first tand e maxx), but it was water proof and better drivetain(sold) I liked it as it wasnt as composed as the lst(funner to drive slower)I liked the layout. The only thing is once I put a brushless in it b/c the stock stuff died quickly It was hard to control and my part count was getting high quick! Its is a fun 35mph truck!! So then traxas came out with the e-revo(handles better and bigger) It is more durable than the e-maxx! Bought it the day it came out with planes to go brushless right away. its a great truck but not quite as durable as the lst2(it seems to out handle it though and thats its mane key feature) I have since sold the lst2(money was tight at the time) but I got to keep the e-revo and get to race with the truggies. I went to a high power brushless system and that where the lst2 durabilaty is better. The e-revos drivetrain doesnt like the power of the castle system. I am trying finding ways to make it as durable as the lst2 and be able to out handle the it. The e-revo is an awsome MT but the only grip I have is its drivetrain(1/10 scale diffs and plastic driveshafts) So For the most part I am happy with the e-revo! I have been pretty happy with all my traxxas trucks over the years. As better stuff hits the market traxxas ups theres too! There is a huge difference in quality and durabilaty from the fist t-maxx and the new e-revo But both were/are top performers for there time!

Sorry for rambling but I hope you got my point. There stuff competes with the other major brands out there(they all have there ups and downs). You cant ask for much more.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:31 PM
SK8RCCAR

Traxxas is great i just got a slash and love it, the best rc i have and wouldnt give it away for anything had it in the cold 5 degrees and then raced my ass off and nothing broke, no need for tech sup[port yet but fom what i hear it is great. traxxas may just be one of the best rc companies, theyre getting close to associated [sm=bananahead.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 01-20-2009, 06:32 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Best RC you have?

What else have you had?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: mycarisaser
The e-revo is an awsome MT but the only grip I have is its drivetrain(1/10 scale diffs and plastic driveshafts) So For the most part I am happy with the e-revo! I have been pretty happy with all my traxxas trucks over the years. As better stuff hits the market traxxas ups theres too! There is a huge difference in quality and durabilaty from the fist t-maxx and the new e-revo But both were/are top performers for there time!
Maybe it's just me, but I've had no problem whatsoever with the E-Revo drivetrain running the MMM and 6s. The only thing I might be doing differently is I have the punch control dialed all the way down. I've tried it with the stock MT tires and crime fighters.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Krazy Chicken

i have a feeling this thread might get locked in a few days
Old 01-20-2009, 06:46 PM
caseyddr

My drivetrain in my emaxx is 100% 1/8th scale, so I don't have these issues [8D]
Old 01-20-2009, 06:54 PM
mycarisaser

I have punch control on 70% and my slipper is loose enough I can barly pull a wheely and I still can kill a diff(the stock drive shafts wouldnt hole up for more than a few batteries !). I am running losi superbolt-on tires(they have super grip!!) I think I am going to go back to badland and crimefighters as they are easier on the drivetrain(they just dont handle as well as the super bolt-on tires) I also had to mount a rod from the shock mount to the boby/wing mount to stp it from ripping off in a flip. I also cant get the shocks and pushrods to stop sqeaking! IT DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!!!! All in all though its a very nice truck and the brushless edition is how they should of done the truck origanally.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:56 PM
mycarisaser

The e-maxxs and e-revo is 1/10th scale not 1/8th. It costs $250 to upgrade the emaxx and erevo to 1/8th scale diffs

Never mind I see that you made yours 1/8th
Old 01-20-2009, 07:02 PM
caseyddr

The e-maxxs and e-revo is 1/10th scale not 1/8th. It costs $250 to upgrade the emaxx and erevo to 1/8th scale diffs

Never mind I see that you made yours 1/8th
Yah look at my cars and you can see what mine has. It's an FLM Maxx. The reason they weren't originally made that way back in the day though is because Brushless wasn't NEAR as cost effective as it is now. I remember when the Novak system first came out and was ripping apart innards lol. The new Emaxx and ERevo are supposed to be able to be upgraded w/o a problem, but plastic will never hold up to true brushless power.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:10 PM
mycarisaser

I bought a shultze and lehner before the novak brushless ever came out! It killed the poor emaxx. Even with the nimh batteries. Now that I am lipo and using a 4pole brushless it killing the brushless ready trucks too. I bet traxxas will be getting a few calls on drivetrain issues with the BE erevo. I am going to try the flm diff cups and the robinson racing diff ring and pinion gears. Hope that will cure the diff issues. If not the rc-monsters 1/8th diff will on order.

I am going to order the new savage flux to see how it compares. Man I am going to be broke and maybe devoirced
Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 PM
caseyddr

I bought a shultze and lehner before the novak brushless ever came out! It killed the poor emaxx. Even with the nimh batteries. Now that I am lipo and using a 4pole brushless it killing the brushless ready trucks too. I bet traxxas will be getting a few calls on drivetrain issues with the BE erevo. I am going to try the flm diff cups and the robinson racing diff ring and pinion gears. Hope that will cure the diff issues. If not the rc-monsters 1/8th diff will on order.

I am going to order the new savage flux to see how it compares. Man I am going to be broke and maybe devoirced
I got to toy with a Flux and didn't like it. It was like a mini original clumsy savage. It is beefy though with more supple suspension. As for the ERevo BL system, you are correct, unless they put a very underpowered system in like they tend to do. The ERevo BL won't be worth the cost IMO. As for the RC-Monster 1/8th setup, its VERY nice. I did notice though that my assembly had to be done in a different order to make everything fit together properly. I had to screw the skidplate on first on the underside before I attached the FLM chassis to the hybrid bulkheads. I also had to do some work on the front driveshaft they gave me and the diff cups, but realizing now that the assembly process was incorrect (lol) all that work probably didn't need to be done! There is no snagging in the drivetrain and is VERY smooth.

I'll attach a picture.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:37 PM
mycarisaser

very, very nice! I am somewhat envious! I am hoping that the rrp and flm diff setup will work so I can get the new 8600mah 24C 2c smc lipos instead of the 1/8th diffs
Old 01-20-2009, 09:04 PM
caseyddr

My next build will probably be a Gorilla Maxx, so much more race capable than a Revo will ever be at this point, but I heard they have a revo chassis coming out, so who knows
Old 01-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Sonolin

ORIGINAL: caseyddr
The Flux system isn't that good :P It's a cheap brushless setup that's the equivalent to a low end mild modified motor, if that. You do know most the speed they create out of that in HPI's cars are from gearing, not from motor power. What actual RC experience do you have to even attempt this type of 'review?' I keep hearing you say 'firestorm' and 'rustler' which are beginner/entry level hobby RC cars.
I am pretty sure that I did not infer anything about my RC experience by saying that. I meant that they are good for entry level hobbyists. And, anyway, even if I was not that experienced in RC (which I'm not..) what does that matter? I am simply bashing these two RCs to their extent and seeing how much I spend on parts. How does having advanced RC experience help me there?

I usually don't reply to people like you but you are clearly just targeting me for no apparent reason, so yea..
Old 01-20-2009, 10:32 PM
caseyddr

I'd spend the time to write something out, but you aren't going to go through with this, so it's a mute point.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

This thread has about served its purpose.

Sonolin, honestly, your comparison is pretty unbalanced to judge Traxxas products in any realistic way other than to create controversy. I think you have an interesting experiment, and I say go for it and I am interested to read the results. As a contributor in a very popular forum, just realize that controversial topics will generate controversial replies and expect heated replies. It comes with the territory. It is cause and effect. It's all about learning to communicate effectively.

I look forward to your results and seeing how each truck holds up, as I am sure others are. If this thread gets off topic or out of hand, I will shut it down.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Redvanmafia

ORIGINAL: Stampede Killer

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

this thread is ridiculous, go buy a duratrax, if you want to talk about quality lmao, My traxxas cars and trucks never let me down, ive knowed losi's duratrax traxxas and tamiya and my little stampede has beat them all in durability, and its funnest to drive has you can just throw it around and not have to worry about anything with lipo brushless power,. what else could you ask for? AND I BASH AROUND HARD,
that i can say is not true, my super blackfoot out bashed a little stampede xl5 of my friends(friend has now moved to florida cause of divorce) it beat it in a race, and a durability test. and my blackfoot could still out bash a stampede, and im sure that my newest blackfoot could also out bash a stampede
See i had a lunch box but after the tranny raped it self on a 15t i was sorta upset, my pede is all rpm and such, havent broke any parts for a long time. with 40+ mph speeds
Old 01-20-2009, 11:11 PM
littleazn248

Well lets just say Traxxas is the true meaning of this hobby. I mean going to the LHS is all part of the experience making new friends with clerks etc. Yes I do agree my Emaxx Sucxxass alot but it was pretty fun getting advice from people and expanding my knowledge. However, I still love Tamiya since they don't break as often.But Traxxas vehicles are a great opportunity to get upgrade parts! Its a real learning experience
Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

got board at post 15ish, they've done alot for the hobby, but people need to give more credit to other MFG's i think...

the lug
Old 01-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

got board at post 15ish, they've done alot for the hobby, but people need to give more credit to other MFG's i think...

the lug
MFG's? [&:]
Old 01-21-2009, 01:33 AM
Sonolin

Caseyddr, I do not see your point at all if you even have one, other than discouraging somebody new to the hobby (me) to try out different brands of RCs to see which one he likes better himself without basing the opinion on other people's biased answers.

So, really, what's your point? That I'm not going to make a write up on this, or even do it..? If that's true why would you care anyway [&:]

And, I have read that basically the Flux is a rebranded Mamba Sidewinder 5700 package. Indeed, cheap brushless system, but I am SURE many people use those systems without problems.. I didn't know I needed a high quality racing brushless system to do some bashing....

Indeed, this thread has served no point other than to rile up everybody's feathers (which was NOT my point) and I am regretting even starting it at all.. I can't believe people can't be civilized about such a simple matter. Sometimes I wonder how many people even read the post and just posted a reply based on the title.

Oh and Caseyddr, I can easily just buy a Rustler VXL instead of the Firestorm Flux.. or a rustler and a firestorm and buy a brushless package, but either way I guess it would fall into your category of "low-quality" brushless system. What exactly is not low-quality to you? Please let me know, if I can find something for the same price SO much better than the Flux/VXL I would be stupid not to get that instead.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:25 AM
rhylsadar

@casey

I got to toy with a Flux and didn't like it. It was like a mini original clumsy savage. It is beefy though with more supple suspension. As for the ERevo BL system, you are correct, unless they put a very underpowered system in like they tend to do. The ERevo BL won't be worth the cost IMO.
how is the savage flux a "mini original" savage?

My next build will probably be a Gorilla Maxx, so much more race capable than a Revo will ever be at this point, but I heard they have a revo chassis coming out, so who knows
what exactly are you waiting for?

@sonolin
do you "tests" with the e firestorm and rustler. it sure will be fun. your very first post was just a bit "too much" you talked about a "unbiased" review etc etc. thats what caused the whole debate here. some longterm "testing" of those two stadium trucks in the very same conditions etc is sure interesting.

bye
rhylsadar
Old 01-21-2009, 03:28 AM
caseyddr

This thread needs to be locked, its just another kid starting a flame war intentionally. It's obvious he has a strong lack of knowledge of R/C's in general, and nothing productive can come of this so 'called' review.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.