Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

How Associated may ruin CORR r/c

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:41 PM
ElectricGuy007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How Associated may ruin CORR r/c

Funny thing about it is I've never seen an SC10 run in person yet. People still like the slash better.
Now I have seen a slash run with an SC10 body shell.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:38 PM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Congzilla

Don't you think Traxxas is fully capable of making a track special truck that could dominate?

No, no I do not.
im guessing youve never heard of the srt and tcp? traxxas used to be a racing company and made some pretty good products, its only with the introduction of rtr cars and the mainstream basher seen that traxxas has become known as a basher company. the tcp and srt could hold their own with the losi and ae offerings at the time. even the early rustler and bandit were aimed at racers with kit versions available unfourtunately traxxas never agresively updated either cars so they became rtr bashers.

also, if i recall the revo won quite a few championships in a row so they are more than capable of a race vehicle.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:51 AM
walkerNCST

Just to clarify the SC10 RTR is $229 vs. the Slash RTR at $209. (@ tower hobbies). And the price difference isn't where my complaint is. The point of my original post is that Associated produced a better short course racer. Which completely detracts from my true appeal of the class... Which is that the slash class had a 100% equal playing field and the race would come down to who was the best driver. Now, I fully agree that a slash can compete and win vs. a SC10. However, as a slash driver you are going to have to drive a MUCH better race than someone driving an SC10. So, it really means that someone who is a fairly decent driver who owns a SC10 can compete with a superior driver who is driving a Slash.

I think both sides have a valid point. I think there is room for both trucks at the track. I also believe it's an easy problem to fix... simply by having a Stock Slash class and a Semi-open CORR class.

I just wanted to make the point that there are probably a bunch of people like me that finally jumped into racing because there was a class that was cheap and had a level playing field. And those people may be dissapointed that it isn't exactly an "even" competition anymore.

With all that said... I am going to keep my slash and just have fun beating the heck out of it at the track, on the beach, and in the water (where a SC10 will never go.)
Old 06-29-2009, 09:21 AM
FoamyVictim

The Slash and SC10 are FAR more equal than many people are willing to admit. Case in point. A Slash running a Stock Motor and Stock Tires against a myriad of SC10s and Slashes running Goosebumps, Switches, etc... beat the SNOT out of the rest of the trucks. Even though the SC10 has a "Perceived" advantage, the driver still determines the outcome of the race. Watch:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbU9GvaYlz8[/youtube]

So for all you Spec Slash guys; you still can't win if you don't have the skills. You don't need a separate class, you need PRACTICE. Trying to separate the trucks only thins out the race, and who wants to race FEWER people? Besides, this shouldn't be all about the win, it should be about rubbing fenders and laughing your butts off. Whining about perceived advantages just makes you sound like a loser trying to blame your equipment for your failure. Again, you don't need a separate class, you need track time, i.e. practice. Get out there and DRIVE! [8D]
Old 06-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Matt_Gruizinga
My Feedback: (1)

so what some people are better than others. have you ever really noticed how the sc10 and the slash are almost identical on the track. stock the sc10 handles a little better. but if you put the same tires/motor/cg/ground clearence. they are the same. the few things that seperate them are the ride height, center of gravity, and the tires. other wise they are pretty close in everything else.

also people say the slash isn't race bred and the sc10 isn't basher grade. with a few hopups the sc10 can be basher grade and the slash will be a racer. imo i like the sc10 bettery because it doesn't have also that flexible plastic the slash has. now it doesn't mean i don't like the slash. my best friend has one and i love driving it. the reason i'm not getting one is because that would be boring.like stated above, in an all slash race it depends on driver skill (which it doesn't require much) but mix the trucks up and it's more of a competition. which in my eyes is the point of a race, who can throw down the best lap times regardless of setup and truck. and no i don't think pro driver will ever mess with the class. they respect the scale and they know that the t4 is obviolsly a sc10 with a shorter chassis and ball diff.

basically what i'm saying is this: while people may have better setups that win them races the two trucks are darn near close when it comes to a race. stock the sc10 might not bash as good but throw on some rpm and strc parts and you got a basher. in reference to this title, no AE didn't ruin corr racing they just made a better racing product than traxxas, which wasn't traxxas's goal in making their corr truck
Old 06-29-2009, 09:52 AM
FoamyVictim

I wonder how many people will throw fits when the Losi version hits the scene...
Old 06-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Access

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim
The Slash and SC10 are FAR more equal than many people are willing to admit. Case in point. A Slash running a Stock Motor and Stock Tires against a myriad of SC10s and Slashes running Goosebumps, Switches, etc... beat the SNOT out of the rest of the trucks. Even though the SC10 has a ''Perceived'' advantage, the driver still determines the outcome of the race. Watch:
It's up to the individual tracks and racers to decide or evolve the class. No online forum is going to make any difference one way or the other. What happens at one track doesn't necessarily coorelate to what happens at another, the racers, their level of ability, the way the track is run, etc. Races also evolve, it might just be taking a while for the SC10'ers to figure out their vehicles and their optimum setup on your track. The people who have been running slashes have had a lot of time to do this.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:32 AM
FoamyVictim

I agree, it "Should" be left up to each individual track. However, I LAUGH when somebody whines about running the two trucks together. I've seen first hand how the driver makes the difference in outcome, not the truck. We had a bunch of whiners here too... This last race, shut them up. So in stead of separating into two smaller classes, we now have almost 15 trucks in the area, and they'll ALL run at ONCE! Don't cry about your insecurities, RUB FENDERS!!! There's only one winner in ANY given race, and you can't blame the equipment anymore. That video is PROOF POSITIVE that a Slash is every bit as capable of a win as the SC10. [8D]
Old 06-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Matt_Gruizinga
My Feedback: (1)

o hay, if you wanted a 4 wheel drive corr truck, you should have bought a redcat-[link=http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/1-10-Scale-Electric-Brushless/Vortex-EPX-PRO-Desert-Truck]vortex brushless[/link] lol it's brushless and priced under a sc10rtr
Old 06-29-2009, 12:06 PM
walkerNCST

You can "claim" all you want that the trucks are "equal." And I agree that a Slash can compete with a SC10 and win. But I drove both trucks at the track just the other day and can tell that the SC10 was a better truck. I have turned a countless number of laps with my slash at my track and that day we were keeping up with our lap averages. A guy I race with was there and offered to let me run his SC10. I ran 3 laps with it to get the feel. Then i ran another 5 min session with his truck and took a look at my lap averages and I was about 3 to 4 seconds faster with his SC10. I was faster with a truck I had never driven before that day than I was with my slash that I have tweaked on for about 2 months. Both trucks were running the stock motors, suspension and had 45wt out back and 30wt up front. I was even able to clear our step-up jump with the SC10 that is impossible with my slash. My impression of the SC10 is that it just seems to settle and straighten itself out better when you land a little bit out of shape. Off angle landings that would typically have my slash pointed in any other direction besides straight... were just soaked up by the SC10. Basically, its platform deals with mistakes faster and more efficiently than my truck.

this shouldn't be all about the win, it should be about rubbing fenders and laughing your butts off. [8D]
You are exactly right! And that is my ultimate point. Associated built a "race truck" for a class that isn't really about racing at all... it's a class where everyone can have fun and be competitive.

Obviously, as stated before... alot of us are going to have to agree to disagree. Because from my experience the SC10 has brought in a group of people who are taking the CORR class way too seriously.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:20 PM
FoamyVictim

Obviously, as stated before... alot of us are going to have to agree to disagree. Because from my experience the SC10 has brought in a group of people who are taking the CORR class way too seriously.
What's funny is it's the Slash that brought the most controversy here locally. First they said Box Stock, but you can run your Lipos and your own better radio. But that wasn't fair to new guys that don't have the much better batteries and controller. The lipo ALONE made the truck 5-7 mph faster than the Nimh you can get as a package deal with the truck. Then the steering response of the higher output receiver made the steering servo MUCH faster AND stronger. So a "Nearly Box Stock" Slash using just those upgrades, really made it unfair again. Throw the SC10 into the mix and you've got a fist fight!

As for the SC10 you drove handling much better. That's in the setup. Clearly, a Slash can be setup to drive better than an SC10... watch the video. I understand you've been playing with it for a long time now, but that only means you still haven't found the "Right" setup for you. If the SC10 just "Feels" that much better to you, sell your Slash to a new guy to get him racing, and buy yourself the truck that makes you faster.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:52 PM
MarkWesterfield

Anytime a class gets popular, it gets more competitive - it has nothing to do with equipment. "Racers" typically always want to race in the popular class. Any skilled racer could tune a slash to have an advantage over some hobbyist who is just tooling around with a stock unmaintained, untuned truck. It really has nothing to do with the trucks themselves being equal. Its all about the driver...

Here is a great example....

This video is me driving a 17 year old 2wd buggy with a 17.5 brushless motor (think Slash) against today's modified 4wd buggies (think SC10). I even painted my racing line on the track for them. I still lapped them, and set fast lap.[8D]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPmuohuUBQQ

Slash owners that are whinning about losing can stand in line behind the SC10 owners that are whinning about losing to faster drivers.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:00 PM
derek2005

Our last race saw a slash go head to head with one of the best racers at our track with the sc10. This was the mod class and I don't know what set up they had, but that slash was moving fast. The SC10 was more poised, cornered and jumped better, but the Slash driver just plowed his way around to barely take the race. It was great fun to watch. Pick the truck you like and have fun with it.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:09 PM
FoamyVictim

Pick the truck you like and have fun with it.
Couldn't have put it better myself.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:14 PM
walkerNCST

I watched the videos and we are clearly comparing two completely different types of tracks. And I think that makes a difference in this comparison of the trucks as well. My home track takes a little less than a minute to run a lap. It has jumps that send CORR trucks 8-10 feet in the air, a step-up that comes up to my shoulders (I'm 6'4), a whoops section as long as your straight away, and triple/double combos that need excellent timing and car control to pull off. And i am not trying to say my track is better by any means. Your home track just seems to be set up in a way that is fair to both trucks. My track puts slash owners at a disadvantage because SC10s are clearing 5 foot tall step-ups and slash owners are having to roll the first jump and drive up the face of the 5-footer. It's kinda hard to explain but it's a pretty good advantage to fly it.

As for the setup... that is a cop-out answer. I have a solid setup on my truck. Is it perfect? No. Is your setup perfect on your buggy? No one knows if their setup is perfect. They just know if it is better or worse than their previous setups. And I can tell the difference between setups and a all-around better performing platform.

[quote]ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

If the SC10 just ''Feels'' that much better to you, sell your Slash to a new guy to get him racing, and buy yourself the truck that makes you faster.

I have learned there is always going to be something better... the key is to be satisfied with what you have. And I bought the slash to have a car i can drive anywhere, anytime, and in any weather condition. It still satisfies those needs... so I think i will keep it.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Access

I agree, it ''Should'' be left up to each individual track. However, I LAUGH when somebody whines about running the two trucks together. I've seen first hand how the driver makes the difference in outcome, not the truck. We had a bunch of whiners here too... This last race, shut them up. So in stead of separating into two smaller classes, we now have almost 15 trucks in the area, and they'll ALL run at ONCE! Don't cry about your insecurities, RUB FENDERS!!! There's only one winner in ANY given race, and you can't blame the equipment anymore. That video is PROOF POSITIVE that a Slash is every bit as capable of a win as the SC10. [8D]
A video can't 'prove' anything other than a single event. What ultimately matters is trends over the long run. There are many scenarios here and you guys just have to decide on your own. If the slash driver is so much better than the rest and he's determined to keep running the slash, and the class stays both competitive and fun than just keep doing what you do. Having a ton of trucks on the track at once does make things more chaotic / fun, it adds to the obstacles and the action so I'd probably be all for that too.

In concept this is like those '50 foot jump' bashing videos, I can post a video of me doing a 50-foot jump and say it's perfectly safe and you will never break anything. Than another driver tries the same jump and totals his vehicle, b'cos the coorelation between subsequent events was low.

Some people will whine just to whine, though.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Casper06

I can't believe this is still a ongoing topic, who gives a ****.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:44 PM
walkerNCST

Honestly, i was just trying to express the views of an average person who got involved in racing for the first time because of the appeal of a Slash/CORR class. I thought it might be good for everyone to hear that side of the story. My original interest was because it appeared the class was FUN and EVEN. Now, the class racing is still fun, but it isn't exactly even. I will still race and have fun, but it just brings in the the questions as to whether i was beat by a better driver or a better truck or both.

Actually, i think that was the point of this original post... Maybe he was saying that he was disappointed that the class has gone from comparing "apples to apples" to comparing "apples to oranges."

And if that is what he meant... I must agree because "apples to apples" is what brought me out to the track.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:59 PM
FoamyVictim

[quote]ORIGINAL: walkerNCST

I watched the videos and we are clearly comparing two completely different types of tracks. And I think that makes a difference in this comparison of the trucks as well. My home track takes a little less than a minute to run a lap. It has jumps that send CORR trucks 8-10 feet in the air, a step-up that comes up to my shoulders (I'm 6'4), a whoops section as long as your straight away, and triple/double combos that need excellent timing and car control to pull off. And i am not trying to say my track is better by any means. Your home track just seems to be set up in a way that is fair to both trucks. My track puts slash owners at a disadvantage because SC10s are clearing 5 foot tall step-ups and slash owners are having to roll the first jump and drive up the face of the 5-footer. It's kinda hard to explain but it's a pretty good advantage to fly it.

As for the setup... that is a cop-out answer. I have a solid setup on my truck. Is it perfect? No. Is your setup perfect on your buggy? No one knows if their setup is perfect. They just know if it is better or worse than their previous setups. And I can tell the difference between setups and a all-around better performing platform.

If the SC10 just ''Feels'' that much better to you, sell your Slash to a new guy to get him racing, and buy yourself the truck that makes you faster.

I have learned there is always going to be something better... the key is to be satisfied with what you have. And I bought the slash to have a car i can drive anywhere, anytime, and in any weather condition. It still satisfies those needs... so I think i will keep it.

$100 says that regardless of what truck the better driver is driving, he's still gonna win.

As for the setup... that is a cop-out answer.
No, because if you have two identical trucks with different setups, one is faster.

I can't believe this is still a ongoing topic, who gives a ****.
We do, so if you aren't interested, go away.

And if that is what he meant... I must agree because "apples to apples" is what brought me out to the track.
If you're new, then you probably don't know why "Spec" classes don't live very long. In addition to all the reasons you read here, Spec Classes often die out because either:

A. One guy is such a good driver/tuner, he wins every race, so everyone gives up.

B. Nobody ever agrees on the rules, and it gets debated to death

With the route many of the "Spec Crowd" want to take, this class will be dead in less than a season. So if you want to be that hard headed about it, when CLEARLY the trucks just aren't THAT different... then go ahead, kill it. [:'(] If you wanna race, there will be winners and losers. Having all identical trucks won't change that. Stop whining and blaming this and that... GO RACE!

Old 06-29-2009, 02:21 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting thread.. This kind of thing is starting to go on in 1/8 truggy racing IMO, with just tires for ex... It's getting so competitive and so expensive that I think ultimately less and less people will be involved... The manufacturers are going to kill everything by being too competitive... I'm already on the fence about giving up organized racing cuz it's just not fun to feel like you have to buy a new set of tires(or two..) every weekend... (two sets of tires is €105..)
Old 06-29-2009, 03:04 PM
walkerNCST

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Interesting thread.. This kind of thing is starting to go on in 1/8 truggy racing IMO, with just tires for ex... It's getting so competitive and so expensive that I think ultimately less and less people will be involved... The manufacturers are going to kill everything by being too competitive... I'm already on the fence about giving up organized racing cuz it's just not fun to feel like you have to buy a new set of tires(or two..) every weekend... (two sets of tires is €105..)
Save your breath... I am sure some of these guys will say that if your good enough driver it shouldn't matter if you are running older tires. They also probably think that Barry Bonds is the greatest homerun hitter of all time. I mean come on it's not like steroids hit the homeruns for him!
Old 06-29-2009, 03:50 PM
FoamyVictim

Watch the video, then "Try" to say it was all truck and not driver. The trucks are very close in performance, and you don't have to spend hundreds of $$ to get them that way. Even if you DID buy a pair of tires, that's still about $20. If $20 breaks your bank, you don't need a hobby, you need a better job.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:36 AM
Congzilla

If $20 breaks your bank, you don't need a hobby, you need a better job.
That made me LOL.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Redvanmafia

lmao, good one!

Not to insult, but alotta you guys are dummys:P, Saying that traxxas cant make a truck race worthy.... that couldnt be more wrong, they have more money then anybody and everybody combined in this forum/website, They choose to make easy to run rtr's because thats what sells, there in it for the money, 99% of people dont want to bulid they want to run it now....thats it! thats just how it works, thats why hpi, traxxas, losi, Mostly make rtr's some make kits but there money is being made off rtr's, its a selling point Also 99% of people bash around, dont get me wrong theres plenty of racers, but the majority are bashers, Traxxas love thoes guys who drop 2000+ bucks on there e-maxx's, some rc car companys have comericals, do you ever see ae throw out a commerial about there SC10, and how its so great, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IT BULID IT!.......No you dont see that. i payed 259.99 for my stampede brand new from the lhs, There is not 260 dollars worth of plastic and labour in there, not close they buy there plastics wholesale by the tonne, For sumthing ridiculously cheap, and sell it at a premium, the titan motor and esc arnt worth even 50 bucks, i bet it costs traxxas under 25 for both, a machine throws it together they put a body on it, and the rest is all avertising,
Old 06-30-2009, 11:20 AM
PHATHED

"Oh slash is so much better then the SC10" I bought the SC10 when it came out and I love the truck. My SC10 handles like a real corr truck . Slides through turns takes hits from other SC10 and it still keeps going and haven't broke a single part on my truck yet and I race it hard and fast. It comes down to what we all like. If we all liked the same thing the sport would be lame. Its almost like Nascar/Corr. If everybody just ran one make of car how much fun would it really be to watch. It's nice to have a little variety in racing, that's what makes the sport fun and competitive. At my local tracks we race both slash and SC10 together and its the best racer wins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.