Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Thunder Tiger Electric offroad

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:40 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thunder Tiger Electric offroad

do you know how high off the ground the eb4 is? I heard the eb4 goes around 44mph. My main use is driving on mowed grass and hard dirt. I will be doing small jumps (2-4 feet high) maybe a few bigger ones but most of the time just going very fast on dirt. Is the suspension components beefier on the mt4 or the same as the eb4? And what speeds can u get with it on 4s and what speeds with 6s?

thank you
Old 12-15-2011, 01:13 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The MT4 is effectively an ST-1 truggy with some mods to make it a monster truck. The MT4 is by FAR the better, more updated platform. The stock electrics in the EB4 RTR cannot handle 6S, but if they could, you could expect about 50mph from 6S from both of these vehicles on stock gearing. No need to care about top speed on 4s, since that would be for tracks.

Bottom line, no contest, get the MT4, more updated bulletproof ST-1 chassis, more ground clearance, better electrics, etc, there really is no comparison. The MT4 represents the best value purchase in the hobby at the moment, imo.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:20 AM
Haddi Taha

I am going to try and get the mt4 but because I am on a bit of a budget I might get the eb4. Thanks everyone for your help
Old 12-15-2011, 01:22 AM
Foxy

The EB4 is honestly false economy, it will cost you more in the long run when you upgrade the electrics/various parts, etc . Save a little more and get the MT4, the difference in what you get in the box is worth more than the price difference between the two cars.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Haddi Taha

I am going for the MT4 to get my slice of the invinsible monster truck craze which I have been lacking. I already have a touring car so no need to get another racer, this is going to be a basher only.

Now that I have settled on the mt4, I have some questions.

How long does it take to shred the tires? I won't be doing burnouts on asphalts, most of the time will be on grass and a bit on dirt.

If I use 6s, how much do I have to gear it down to? At first I will be using 4s 4000mah 30c packs though.

Is there anything else I need to know?

Thank you

Old 12-15-2011, 02:37 AM
Foxy

How long does it take to shred the tires? - A very long time even on asphalt.
If I use 6s, how much do I have to gear it down to? - You don't. The gearing is designed with 6s bashing in mind. Top speed on 6S is a reasonable approximately 50mph. Personally I would gear up. Probably go to 16t.
Is there anything else I need to know? - No, not really, people all over the net are saying the thing is indestructible. A lot of people have upgraded the arm braces to alloy if I remember correctly, and of course a servo upgrade would be a good idea. nothing else really, it's got everything you need right in the box.

Towerhobbies has a full range of spares and hopups, and a lot of the hopups designed for the ST-1 will bolt right on.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:42 AM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: Foxy

If I use 6s, how much do I have to gear it down to? - You don't. The gearing is designed with 6s bashing in mind. Top speed on 6S is a reasonable approximately 50mph. Personally I would gear up. Probably go to 16t.
Is there anything else I need to know? - No, not really, people all over the net are saying the thing is indestructible. A lot of people have upgraded the arm braces to alloy if I remember correctly, and of course a servo upgrade would be a good idea. nothing else really, it's got everything you need right in the box.

Towerhobbies has a full range of spares and hopups, and a lot of the hopups designed for the ST-1 will bolt right on.
omg this is the perfect car for me, thanks a bundle man

Old 12-15-2011, 02:48 AM
Foxy

You're welcome. Personally I think this is the ideal RC for anyone. Every so often, amongst a very average lineup in general, Thunder Tiger produces a legendary car, this is just the latest one.

I recommend these batteries http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9962 in pairs. It will be a struggle to fit two in the battery bay (you'll have to get rid of the stupid internal cage, but everyone does that anyway), you'll need to get some velcro straps, but they represent great value, long runtimes and high discharge rating.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:01 AM
Haddi Taha

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

would this be good enough?

can you tell me the dimensions of the battery tray (with that cover on) so I can work from there?

I would prefer to get one big battery, why do most people use 2?
Old 12-15-2011, 03:03 AM
Haddi Taha

how about this?

Old 12-15-2011, 03:15 AM
Foxy

People (myself for example) use twin batteries for one main reason. I have many other models of different scales, and I only buy 2s and 3s batteries. This is so that when I want to run one of my 1/8th cars (like the TTR MT4 or Savage, or a truggy), I can just put either 2x2S or 2x3S, or even 1x2S and 1x3S (for 5S). If I had bought 5S and 6S batteries, they would only be usable in those cars and not in my 1/10th cars.

The first batt you linked is 5S, don't bother. The second one isn't really strong enough for an MT. 4000*30C=only 120A. You will strain this battery hard in the MT4. The one I linked (5000*40C=200A) is a MUCH stronger battery as you see.

Trust me, get the ones I linked, there is no better battery for the money and they will give you all the juice you need. If you insist on looking at other batteries, make sure the capacity (mAh) multiplied by the 'C' rating is at least 150A, ideally 200A or more.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:32 AM
xerxes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uhh, i was onda brink of thermaling wit a 13t pinion on 4s. id say ud hav 2 gear down 2 run biggr volts.
it surpasses 43mph , stok, on 4s.

any1 needs thundrtigr info, eb4 g3, sparrowhawk xxt, mt4 g3. xerxes is all knowing
Old 12-15-2011, 07:34 AM
xerxes

& da mt4 g3 is far frum indestructable[&o]
Old 12-15-2011, 07:45 AM
xerxes

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

Is the mt4 g3 worth the $120 more than the eb4 g3? I know it has a 150amp esc.

And xerxes, what do you mean by the eb4 had its highs and lows? can u list some of the problems.
thanks

in xerxes oopinion, da motor & esc r da rong choices 4 optimisd use on 4s
. 2000 is 2 low of a motor unless u run 6s. but if ur on 4s, dont xpect 2 break 60mph wit it.

eb4 g3 does 34mph stok. wich is pretty bad 4 a 450$ comp level 1/8 buggy.

da only thing ull need 2 run 6s is a xerun 150a esc. so tab it up.
450 4 da 4s buggy, plus 100 fer da 150a esc 2 get 6s use. dats 550$. im guna get a diff motor, but dats jus me.

fer 550 u can get a out of da box mt4 dats 10mph faster, absurdly huge tires mor ground clearanse, & is 6s capable out of da box
Old 12-15-2011, 07:45 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: xerxes

uhh, i was onda brink of thermaling wit a 13t pinion on 4s. id say ud hav 2 gear down 2 run biggr volts.

any1 needs thundrtigr info, eb4 g3, sparrowhawk xxt, mt4 g3. xerxes is all knowing
I bow to your personal experience with the vehicle, however, I've heard it takes 6s beatings and doesn't even get warm. Was it the ESC, the motor or the batt that was getting hot?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 AM
xerxes

ORIGINAL: xerxes

I bow to your personal experience with the vehicle, however, I've heard it takes 6s beatings and doesn't even get warm. Was it the ESC, the motor or the batt that was getting hot?
motor. it was ovr 175f

ace/ hobbywing motors breaking point is 205*.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:53 AM
xerxes

unless more volts equals lower temps?[&:]

i hav yet 2 do anymor 6s drivn, othr den holding it up & flooring it 2 watch da tires & wheels rattle & shake uncontrolably due 2 bein unbalanced
Old 12-15-2011, 07:54 AM
KeithjV

Great info Foxy.
The ST-1 is a tank. I would think the MT4 is just as solid. If you are running on grass and mostly bashing definitely go with the MT4 over the buggy
Old 12-15-2011, 08:10 AM
xerxes

dats as fast as da stok motor can get u on 4s
Old 12-15-2011, 02:03 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

People (myself for example) use twin batteries for one main reason. I have many other models of different scales, and I only buy 2s and 3s batteries. This is so that when I want to run one of my 1/8th cars (like the TTR MT4 or Savage, or a truggy), I can just put either 2x2S or 2x3S, or even 1x2S and 1x3S (for 5S). If I had bought 5S and 6S batteries, they would only be usable in those cars and not in my 1/10th cars.

The first batt you linked is 5S, don't bother. The second one isn't really strong enough for an MT. 4000*30C=only 120A. You will strain this battery hard in the MT4. The one I linked (5000*40C=200A) is a MUCH stronger battery as you see.

Trust me, get the ones I linked, there is no better battery for the money and they will give you all the juice you need. If you insist on looking at other batteries, make sure the capacity (mAh) multiplied by the 'C' rating is at least 150A, ideally 200A or more.
I'm a big believer in those batteries!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Haddi Taha

alright, so I  am going to have to get 200amp rated batteries. Now all I see is people doing jumps with thic car on youtube, is that all its good for? I wanted to do lots of fast offroad driving with small jumps here and there. Does it wheelie every time you floor it on 6 cell? TBH, I'm not a fan of wheelies and having to tame the truck too much.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:28 PM
KeithjV

Then run 4S batteries
Old 12-15-2011, 03:47 PM
srt10

Or throttle control..
Old 12-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Haddi Taha

Or I can run 5s, exactly in between wheelies and controlled driving. Does the car come with the Y harness?
Old 12-15-2011, 05:47 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

Or I can run 5s, exactly in between wheelies and controlled driving. Does the car come with the Y harness?
controlled driving comes by way of the user..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.