Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 03:10 PM
osr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread

That's ok then ! I was worried for a while there. Ill let you know how the chassis holds up. To be honest, if this set-up warps a tt-01 chassis i will actually be kind of impressed And maybe make a new one out of steel or something [>:]

I have a few days to myself next week and im hoping all the new bits will be here then so i can really play. If i get a video up on youtube i'll post it here.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:04 AM
TIGER76

If i get a video up on youtube i'll post it here.
Cool m8 like i said most of the vids on utube dont show speed runs[] so one of those would be great to show peeps what speed the TT can get up to
Old 03-14-2008, 03:15 PM
osr

I'd like to do that as it happens, if only just to see myself what it can do. Only thing is my TT-01 is a bit of a rally convert, longer shocks and block tyres and the shell is cut right back away from the wheels. Ill have to see what i can do, i was kind of wondering whether to get a few road bits, shocks and tyres and maybe a new shell to make it dual use. I might do that but it'll take a while. Even without a decent bodyshell i could use the original stock tyres and maybe the stock shocks too, might bounce a bit but for a straight run it should be reasonable enough.

Can't wait for next week now !

Old 03-14-2008, 06:16 PM
TIGER76

Id keep the rally gear on bro with the speed that TT will be hitting 40+ it will handle alot better than standard parts
Old 03-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Mopar Or Nocar

Hey there everyone! Some of you may remember me. Others not. Well im going to rebuilt my TT-01, but to drift specs. Problem is... Im not sure as to some things. Can you guys help me out? Well here is my list of things I know i want and others are still questions.

List of things im gonna be getting for sure:

HPI 190mm Toyota Levin body (lovin it!, Goes perfect with drifting)
Im also gonna have someone paint my body for me (in case you didn't know... Bill zegers)
Hot Works Brake Disc Hex Adapter Chrome Met Gray (4) (if they work with my TT-01)

Now for my big list of questions:

What motor should i get? (I'm leaning twords a sport tuned but i dont really know)
Also would you recomend bearings?
Next on my list is what spur gear/and pinion should i Get for drifting?
Also i would like a set i can swap out for just bashing/racing
Same with tires? I think i will just use the stocks and try to make them less gripy? Im thinking some sort of tape may work?
Any recomendtions on Parts that will make it realistic looking?
Any other mods you would sugest?

If i can think of anything else i will edit or post again.

EDIT!: Im trying to do this as cheap as i can!

thanks guys!!!

~mini
Old 03-15-2008, 07:18 AM
m52 power!

After much thought and brainstorming it occurred to me that the diff could be sliding transversely away from the input bevel gear on the main shaft.

I checked for side to side play and YES there was! A little less than a mm or so. I ran a test rig with a rubber spacer to make up for the slack and am proud to say I cannot recreate the problem! I am looking for a more permanent solution with a properly sized metal washer perhaps and then I'll have actual test run results.

-Chris
Old 03-15-2008, 07:56 PM
m52 power!

I did a few shakedown runs today. This thing is great I love it again

We shot a few videos, unfortunately my friend lost the 100% throttle video but I do have a 60% pass that is uploading to youtube.

After the 60% pass was the 100% pass that ended up drifting off the road and doing about 50 midair summersaults and breaking the front shock tower. Fortunately I have another spare I'm also toeing in the front end so it tracks straight better.

Tomorrow we're shooting better higher quality video in a better section of road and lots of 100% passes

Here's the 60% throttle pas 50-55 mph, it may not be up yet since youtube is still processing it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoDjdgf5TBU

BTW keep in mind on the 100% passes we were hitting 85 mph following it (I'm in the pass seat of the real car driving the R/C). This on a battery pack that had 5 or 6 minutes run time on it!
Old 03-16-2008, 12:16 PM
m52 power!

A few pics of my setup. Lipo is being charged right now for high speed runs!

Old 03-16-2008, 12:20 PM
DriftingDragon

ORIGINAL: minit_racer

Hey there everyone! Some of you may remember me. Others not. Well im going to rebuilt my TT-01, but to drift specs. Problem is... Im not sure as to some things. Can you guys help me out? Well here is my list of things I know i want and others are still questions.

List of things im gonna be getting for sure:

HPI 190mm Toyota Levin body (lovin it!, Goes perfect with drifting)
Im also gonna have someone paint my body for me (in case you didn't know... Bill zegers)
Hot Works Brake Disc Hex Adapter Chrome Met Gray (4) (if they work with my TT-01)

Now for my big list of questions:

What motor should i get? (I'm leaning twords a sport tuned but i dont really know)
Also would you recomend bearings?
Next on my list is what spur gear/and pinion should i Get for drifting?
Also i would like a set i can swap out for just bashing/racing
Same with tires? I think i will just use the stocks and try to make them less gripy? Im thinking some sort of tape may work?
Any recomendtions on Parts that will make it realistic looking?
Any other mods you would sugest?

If i can think of anything else i will edit or post again.

EDIT!: Im trying to do this as cheap as i can!

thanks guys!!!

~mini

first what esc do you have

if you have stock tires either sand them or do burnouts to loose traction

or buy drift tires

you wont need new gearing the motor should be just enough

i would recommend getting the drift tires cause faster to swap out for racing and bashing
Old 03-16-2008, 05:31 PM
TIGER76

@ M52 POWER

[X(]man that thing is awesome!!! great to see a TT with a need for speed hehe
damn i can wait to see the 100% now keep those vids coming bro great work
Old 03-16-2008, 06:22 PM
m52 power!

Bad news!

The rear right hpi belted tire blew out at 70 mph, car got sideways and tumbled end over end to a stop. Front right control arms broken, aswell as a steering link. Not too bad for a 70 mph catastrophe.

Btw don't buy HPI belted tires, I've had nothing but bad results with these. If you're doing anything over 50 mph they'll fly apart after a couple hours of use. The "belt" inside the tire delaminates and the tires rip apart .

I'm starting to think I've hit the limits of the TT-01 chassis' design. No matter how many upgrades there's always going to be play in the suspension pieces. At extreme high speeds this play translates into drivability and straight line tracking problems. I'm still left with an awesome drift chassis or lower speed (like under 50 mph ) street basher.

On that note can anybody recommend a high performance touring car chassis that can take the high speed and power of a 3s brushless system?

-Chris
Old 03-16-2008, 07:36 PM
TIGER76

Damn that sucks m8 []
I guess the TT just wasnt designed for those kind of speeds in the end,great to see that video tho stilll smiling now hehe
maybe check out the topline tamiyas tourers like the Trf416?

tbh i would go down the ST or buggy route for those kind of speeds for your setup your gonna need a lot of wheel height to soak up the stacks at those speeds.
Been hearing good things about the E-firestorm from HPI bro .metal tranny, BL ready, it should hit a good speed with your setup [8D]
Old 03-17-2008, 06:58 AM
TwoCents

Just finished my tt-01D Silvia

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32541.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	905619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51665.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	905620  
Old 03-17-2008, 07:26 AM
TwoCents

2 more
http://b.imagehost.org/view/0273/DSCN0678.jpg
http://b.imagehost.org/view/0273/DSCN0679.jpg
Old 03-17-2008, 10:08 PM
sanshu

nice ride m52!!!
that s15 looks awesome too 2¢!!! lol!!!
i got one my self!
i got Nob's Tanigushi hyper hks version but it's blue instead of red.
i got the flashing leds too!!!
cool guys!!!
thanks for sharing!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:47 PM
lazarine_wyvren

ok. i've just recently gotten back into the rc scene, and stared with a tt01-d rx7. when i bought it, i also bought it with the tamiya super grip radials and the super stock rz motor. geared stock (26/61) it was a screamer, but i wanted it faster, so i got this [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJAJ2] 13x3T team orion[/link] motor and [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHSV8]esc[/link], along with a new body and aluminum prop shaft, and a new set of pinions, 22 and 23. geared 22/61, this combo is a complete dog, i could walk faster than its top speed. what happened? no grinding, no abnormal noise, no real speed. i think my battery may be shot, as its only a 1300 NiCD. also, i have a REALLY old charger, and was wondering if its specs were on par with what i'd need for todays batteries... its an mrc rb-475 quick charger, 7.2 or 8.4 volts, 4 amps, 15 minute dial timer, charge/discharge switch.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:59 AM
chrisestt01

ORIGINAL: m52 power!
No matter how many upgrades there's always going to be play in the suspension pieces. At extreme high speeds this play translates into drivability and straight line tracking problems. I'm still left with an awesome drift chassis or lower speed (like under 50 mph ) street basher.
In an old F201 forum I read that putting rubber O-rings below the tie rod ball ends reduces steering slop. I tried that today, first using 3 mm black O-rings, but they turned out to be too hard and caused too much binding. So I tried red ones and they are perfect. They are the same as the O-rings used in shocks. I tested the car on the track and there are no problems with binding. The steering slop in the tie rods is gone and the car is even more predictable. The only slop left is that between the drive shafts and the bearings, but I think I can live with that - for the moment.

Name:	Nl28684.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	906462  
Old 03-18-2008, 06:48 AM
TIGER76

ORIGINAL: lazarine_wyvren

ok. i've just recently gotten back into the rc scene, and stared with a tt01-d rx7. when i bought it, i also bought it with the tamiya super grip radials and the super stock rz motor. geared stock (26/61) it was a screamer, but i wanted it faster, so i got this [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJAJ2] 13x3T team orion[/link] motor and [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHSV8]esc[/link], along with a new body and aluminum prop shaft, and a new set of pinions, 22 and 23. geared 22/61, this combo is a complete dog, i could walk faster than its top speed. what happened? no grinding, no abnormal noise, no real speed. i think my battery may be shot, as its only a 1300 NiCD. also, i have a REALLY old charger, and was wondering if its specs were on par with what i'd need for todays batteries... its an mrc rb-475 quick charger, 7.2 or 8.4 volts, 4 amps, 15 minute dial timer, charge/discharge switch.
You need to gear up for more speed m8 try the 58 spur with that 23 pinion,the standard 61 spur is slow with any pinion []
Also that battery is quite small (1300) so power and runtime is gonna be low if sticking with nicads grab a 2400 pack more punch and better run times,or go up to nimh batterys for more power and punch.
Also that 13x3 motor should scream along is your ESC suited for a 13x3?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:49 AM
TIGER76

[quote]ORIGINAL: TIGER76

You need to gear up for more speed m8 try the 58 spur with that 23 pinion,the standard 61 spur is slow with any pinion []
Also that battery is quite small (1300) so power and runtime is gonna be low if sticking with nicads grab a 2400 pack more punch and better run times,or go up to nimh batterys for more power and punch.
That 13x3 motor is gonna drain even a large battery (3600) quickly let alone a 1300 nicad
Old 03-18-2008, 06:50 AM
TIGER76

That 13x3 motor is gonna drain even a large battery (3600) quickly let alone a 1300 nicad
Old 03-18-2008, 07:08 AM
lazarine_wyvren

i understand needing the new spur gear, i've been trying to find one. but what i dont get, is why this setup is so much slower than the super stock rz geared 26/61. i've estimated that combo to go about 25 mph at full tilt, on drift tires. whereas, like i said, i can outwalk the 13t 22/61 combo.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:55 AM
TIGER76

Probally cos the standard gearing is 19/61 m8 26/61 wont work no way wont mesh ever lol
go from 19/61 to 23/58 you will need to buy the spur set (55/58) and pinions pack (22/23)
Below is the TT gear chart shows you what you can use together if you try meshing gears together that arent suppose to work together it will chew spurs up

Name:	Lj21959.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	906811  
Old 03-18-2008, 01:16 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

and was wondering if its specs were on par with what i'd need for todays batteries... its an mrc rb-475 quick charger, 7.2 or 8.4 volts, 4 amps, 15 minute dial timer, charge/discharge switch.
You can charge Nicds with that charger, but not Nimh or Lipo. You need a charger that can peak charge those types of batteries otherwise they'll be overcharged and the battery will be ruined and can cause a fire.

I know if you look around you'll find other 15 minute chargers that claim they can charge nimh but I would seriously recommend against charging nimh batteries with one of those. They are very sensitive to being overcharged/overheated.

BTW I've had good luck with the Duratrax Digital Piranha, but it won't work with Lipos. If you're looking to buy Lipos in the future then you'll need to spend more for a charger that can charge them. For that many people suggest the Duratrax Ice or MRC 989.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:06 PM
lazarine_wyvren

ORIGINAL: TIGER76

Probally cos the standard gearing is 19/61 m8 26/61 wont work no way wont mesh ever lol
go from 19/61 to 23/58 you will need to buy the spur set (55/58) and pinions pack (22/23)
Below is the TT gear chart shows you what you can use together if you try meshing gears together that arent suppose to work together it will chew spurs up

yeah... 19/61 is what i meant... i feel silly. but anyway, the 19/61 super stock rz (27t) combo was slower than 22/61 13x3t combo... or is the 13x3t motor not as quick as a real 13t? im still rather new to the whole parts matching aspect of this...
Old 03-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Raguvian

Dang M52, you drove your TT-01 off the road at 85 mph and only broke the front shock tower?!
I had more damage than that when I slid into a curb at only about 30-35 mph...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.