Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:26 PM
NA_alwas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread

i would like to know that too
Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 PM
SIRCC

EBAY
Old 06-05-2008, 09:59 PM
swong1400

Could someone point me to where I could find some of the prop shaft drive cups? I need replacements, and I cant find them ANYWHERE!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:31 AM
[CCCC]Bunny

Hi all.

I just got some new parts.

Aluminium Drive shaft
Ansmann 21T Motor &
GRP 40Sh Foams

Will be trying them out tonight at Macclesfield Track.

- Bunny
Old 06-06-2008, 07:52 AM
TIGER76

I was told the reason why most use plastic spur gears were so it acts as a weak link in the drive train ie weak link as not breaking more parts etc
If running metal spurs i could imagine going thro alot of metal pinion gears too an they would wear down faster when running low turn mod motors.

@ bunny enjoy those upgrades m8 my first motor upgrade was down to a 21 turn motor u will notice alot more speed and power and that propshaft was a good move as the standard would flex too much under a 21 turn,never used foams yet but for racing heard there the best to use on indoor carpet racing etc.

@ swoong check ebay mate you get alot of people who buy TT kits for certain parts and sell off the other part bags or check this link..

[link=http://search.ebay.com/tt-01-shaft-cups_W0QQdfspZ32QQfromZR40QQsatitleZttQ2d01Q20shaf tQ20cupsQQssPageNameZRC0022QQ_trksidZp1638Q2em120]http://search.ebay.com/tt-01-shaft-cups_W0QQdfspZ32QQfromZR40QQsatitleZttQ2d01Q20shaf tQ20cupsQQssPageNameZRC0022QQ_trksidZp1638Q2em120[/link]
Old 06-06-2008, 08:50 AM
[CCCC]Bunny

I can see that my acceleration has gone up tremendously. I had a little play in the kitchen (which is only very small so could only get a little power down but omg at the accelration rate. My last (and first) meet I was sliding all over and lacked the punch to beat people and ended third in all my races, I'm hoping the foams and motor will give me a equal chance at the races. The foams are ultra sticky, I just have to find out what sort of wear they have. Racing from 7pm tonight so will post up later how they do.

- Bunyy
Old 06-06-2008, 09:09 AM
TIGER76

goodluck m8 and let us know how u do
Old 06-06-2008, 06:03 PM
[CCCC]Bunny

WOW!

I raced tonight...

Practicing i found that my new tires gripped SO MUCH! Kind of maybe too much. I rolled a few corners while testing and getting used to my new tires. The power I can get down is amazing though. I tried my old tires (slicks) and they just couldn't handle anything, the motor was just spinning the tires and they wouldn't corner (would be awesome for drift though).

Race 1: Went well, had to shift over for a few people as they lapped me but I did 17 laps and came 4th (out of 5, but I wasn't last). Tires were awesome. However my front left dogbone came out :S

Rebuilt the front left assembly while the other classes raced and after my marshalling, but my sticks on charge (Intellect 3000mAh) and tested (as much as I could) and seemed ok.

Race 2: Went much better, I had got used to the turning and power I had, still rolled a few corners towards the end when I got a bit more confident. I got a big shunt towards the end though which knocked my rear bumper molding loose (loosing a countersunk screw in the process) oh and my front left dogbone came out again. (21 laps done, so better)

Did my marshalling and went back to the pit area, found a spare screw so rebuilt the rear bumper assembly (which doesnt have a foam on it, only the front) and put the dogbone back in, still couldn't find out why it had come out. Batteries on charge and did a general clean as it hat got mighty dirty with carpet by this point.

Race 3: Went better still till 35 seconds before the end, I was on par to beat my last lap count (I ended doing 20) and I got a big shunt to the rear which put me out. Back to the pits... (oh and the front left dogbone came out half way round)

Went back (they said I didn't have to marshall so I could fix my car, when i got back to the pits I thought my night was over, I could see the internal parts of my diff >.< I had taken a big shunt which had ripped out the screw I had replaced, cracked the chassis side to the upper arm screw housing and cracked open the diff housing. >.< Was a little upset as it wasn't my error that had done it but thats part of racing. Any ways I got to work trying to work things out. I taped the screw housing as a temporary fix and inserted some solder wire to keep the screw in place. Found that the diff housing hadn't cracked but just popped out of the retainers for the lower and upper arms for the wheel so just nudged them back in. Charged the battery. Rebuilt the front left dogbone however I inserted a tiny rubber washer/thingy that we use @ work to buffer out the dogbone (I did insert one either side of it but that was to tight and would let the dogbone rotate so only one on the diff side. The rear bumper mounting plate thing (that would hold a bumper had I got one) has one screw that wouldn't tighten now so I also placed some solder in that to buffer it out to see if it would tighten, I did tighten but still rotated so I just masked over it with some tape and hoped for the best.

Final: A bit more cautious on the final considering my car had taken a pounding, I placed 5th (even though finishing fourth every heat, due to my lap times) I started at the back of the group, which I was slightly happy about anyways as I wanted to keep out of everyones way and just focus on finishing. Well the starters buggered up the first corner so I breezed through without a mark having taken a slightly slower start. I got a fair way round the track before the faster gyuys started to catch me, so i let them through know I had no chance (yet, need to get better) to beat them, I was just there for a laugh and to hopefully finish. I did really well, and came 4th. My dogbone stayed in, my rear moulding was intact (even after another shunt form the same guy as before)(I don't think he liked me much or something). Anyways, all in all a good night, I learnt alot, I asked loads of questions about other peoples cars, any ideas they suggested for mine and stuff so that was a big plus.

Got home now and ordered a new chassis, new front bumper (the hop-up version) and will move the old front to the rear for added protection ( I don't mind about weight or looks, the wife isn't to keen on buying me new parts every race) so all that came to £12 which is good, cheaper than ebay too. Should hopefully be here Monday so I can race Tuesday, was hoping to race Sunday but I wouldn't have the parts in time and the Mrs also wants the fence painting.

Had a great night though, which is whats its all about.

-Bunny

(Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd share my experience with my TT01 with you all)
Old 06-06-2008, 07:18 PM
SIRCC

it's guys like you that make this hobby worth wild and something to look forward to, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:20 PM
SIRCC

oh, by the way that's why they invented universal's, good luck
Old 06-06-2008, 08:14 PM
TIGER76

Sounds like you had fun bunny

Stick with it and watch the other racers and you will pick up that 1st place soon [8D]
Old 06-06-2008, 08:21 PM
dfiantii

Thanks for sharing Bunny. I am about to do my first club race tomorrow if I can get up. Now post some pics when you can. Lets see what your working with. Not that it matters now but a good fix for stripped out holes is some crazy glue and a drill bit after it hardens to open the hole back up. Congrats on finishing your race.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:24 PM
[CCCC]Bunny

@ SIRCC - Could you explain universals? I don't know what you mean and thanks for the comment. Made me

@ Tiger76 I had awesome fun. I watched all the races I could while not working on my car so I could see the lines people were taking, with my grippy tires I was able to out maneuver(sp) even the quick guys through the bendy bits following the darker patches of track. Its just some of the corners I turn too sharp on, one of the guys suggested using steering trim. I don't have that on the controller I have at the moment but i do have it on one knocing around the loft somewhere. I'm going to dig it out tomorrow when I have some free time and mess about with that.

Thanks for all the comments too.

-Bunny
Old 06-06-2008, 08:28 PM
[CCCC]Bunny

Will get some pics up asap, I took some today before I went racing with the new motor and drive shaft in so will add them, will also throw up some of the cracked diff, I have a youtube link of the track that you could look @ too if you like. I also have a link on youtube of me sliding around my work on my lunch break when I first got the car, uber slippy floor with slicks is great for drifting. I'll take a piccie of the shell but its banged up alot now. I have a RX-8 shell I got when I first got the car as my dad in law has one and thought it would be nice if I got a mini one to match.

-Bunny

nn all.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:45 PM
dfiantii

Bunny universals are the dogbones and the axles put together with a grub screw, so there is no chance of them coming apart during a race. But they are expensive. I use universals for my fronts but I have lightweight metal dogbones for my rear. I put the universals in so I could have spare metal dogbones and axles on hand.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:12 PM
dfiantii

Bunny,
What dog bones are you using the stock ones? An upgrade that I did to my tt-01 was to replace the stock gearing with a ball differential in the rear and a front one way. Less weight equal less rotational mass that the motor has to push. You can see from the pics posted The second and third pics are of the one way with the metal dogbones I was referring to I don't have pics of the universals on this setup I am taking to the track tomorrow. I have a Tekin G11 speed control in there now cant wait to see how she performs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46796.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	965180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30332.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	965181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55147.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	965182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58376.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	965183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25112.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	965184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37591.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	965185  
Old 06-07-2008, 05:27 AM
TIGER76

Yeh agree with dfiantii about replacing the dogbones with CVDs

they look like this..
[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-TT01-Universal-Swing-shaft-CVDS_W0QQitemZ150247184888QQihZ005QQcategoryZ34061 QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262]tt-01 cvds[/link]

So instead of the bogbones rattling out or while the steering is fully extended and have them pop out the CVDs are joined to the drive cup by a screw so its one unit well worth investing in some for racing i reckon or even hard bashing alot of rally TT users have them too,i hate searching the floor looking for popped dogbones at night lol
Old 06-07-2008, 05:53 AM
SIRCC

use these
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51439.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	965492  
Old 06-07-2008, 06:00 AM
SIRCC

Has anybody used brushless, in tt-01? if you have what set up did you use and what was your gear ratio? (spur - pinion )
))
Old 06-07-2008, 06:13 AM
TIGER76

I used a mtronik plasma 10t setup a while ago m8 think it was only 4400 kv on a 7 cell pack i had it geared standard 19/61 then went up to 23/58 sold that setup tho and got a no limit esc and a few low turn motors would like to invest in a MM5700 soon.
The car held up really well went thro ALOT of tyres lol [] I had the launch set to lowest to gain traction etc and you have to watch hammering of the start but the drivetrain coped pretty well with it.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:59 AM
SIRCC

I JUST PURCHASE MM7700 AND TRAXXAS 3500, I WAS TOLD THAT ITS TO MUCH POWER,
I NEED TO FIND OUT WHICH WOULD B THE BEST GEAR RATIO?
Old 06-07-2008, 07:05 AM
TIGER76

yeh i think the 7700 would be too much for the TT really try the 5700 setup,ive seen people running the vxl setup in TTs and they run fine.

As for gearing it depends on what heat the esc/motor start to hit id start at standard gearing and work up,fitting a good fan will help take some of the heat out too.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:11 AM
SIRCC

DO YOU BELONG TO A RACE CLUB? WHAT CLUB? HAVE YOU HEARD OF ROAR? I STARTED MY OWN CLUB SIRCLEGION.COM
Old 06-07-2008, 08:23 AM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

Not sure if anyone posted this or how new it is but I thought everyone here would be interested. It's a new body on the TT01E chassis.
Volkswagen Golf GTI Cup Car - http://www.rceasy.com/2008/06/06/tam...ct/#more-13971
Old 06-07-2008, 08:35 AM
TIGER76

Yeh seen that GTI looks nice,glad to see a VW shell for the TT at last i like the look of the new nissan gtr too looks sleeker than than old skylines about [8D]

@ SIRCC no i dont race onroad used to race offroad years ago when we had a track round here lots of fun.
ROAR set all the rules for racing in the US and canada i believe,they have started to approve some of the brushless setups in races i heard like the novak gtb/ss17.5 and the novak 4cellss17.5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.