Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Are their any flight sims that will work on a Macintosh?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Are their any flight sims that will work on a Macintosh?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 03:18 PM
f2titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Re: Are their any flight sims that will work on a Macintosh?

Back to the original question: "Are their any flight sims that will work on a Macintosh?"

Yes, there is. Go to: http://www.x-plane.com/

To all who posted. I know there is no answer to this debate. The only real answer is, what works best for you. Yes?

Thanks all!!!!
Old 11-25-2003, 02:16 PM
iflem

Havn't tried them but check out the links on this page..

http://www.rcsites.net/aeropal/
Old 03-25-2004, 10:25 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This Mac discussion is interesting, even with some misleading comments. Uh, and there are some funny comments too, especially about Amigas. That was a pretty sorry system when compared to the Atari ST or early Macs. Commodore always seemed to choose the more primitive methods in hardware and OS. It was sad to see what those guys had to put up with.

Real Flight was advertised as being available for the Mac at one time. I almost bought it but procrastinated. I guess they either dropped it or never finished developing it for release. There is a RC helicopter sim for the Mac. I have tried it and it works pretty good. The graphics weren't as nice as the later RF versions, but you can do some flying.

As far as regular flight sims go, you can find a copy of Fly II. That is a fine simulator and I still use it often. I was in the beta test, so I know a bit about the development of the sim. The helicopter programming is incredibly accurate. They did the rotor system aerodynamics perfectly except for some minor mistakes for autorotations. However, if you have flown helicopters in real life you will find some amazing things programmed in. Slope landings are dead on perfect. Flying into and out of ETL is accurate. Hovering OGE and then edging the rotor system over a building or ship is very accurate too.

I would try RF under my VPC 6, but I'm now on a G5 2 gHz DP, and it won't run. Connectix programmed some performance shortcuts in it and there is one illegal call that won't work on the G5. Everybody does these sorts of things, especially game programmers. Microsoft bought VPC from Connectix and has announcing a June release of an upgrade that will run on G5s. I'll upgrade when it is released. I'm hoping that Windoze programs will scream on the dual processors.

I'm sort of laughing here at the Windoze comments. I was a MIS guy with about 20 clones to maintain. I've had to work with home computers and bigger systems since 1979. I used to be in the development/procurement of military combat simulators. I think that I know my way around a lot of different systems. That's why I put my personal cash on Macs. I got tired of having to set interrupts, do sys.configs, etc to coax Windows to limp along like I've had to do since the early 1980s. The most modern Windows release is basically still a 1980s system. Don't believe me? Check out your DOS that is still running the show. Also, I've never opened any Intel box that didn't have a primitive, stamped out look among all of the parts made by different vendors inside. My Macs look like like they were engineered by an aviation company when opened up. Everything is designed to fit and work. Intel boxes are computers made by committees. A card by this company, a motherboard by another company, etc. Designed to almost guarantee a lot of phone time with tech support! Don't believe me? Try installing an Ethernet or wireless card!!!

I just wrote Great Planes asking for the details on that Mac version of RF. I'll post the info if they send it.

A: cd/c
C: dir
C: see
C: ya
C: later
Old 03-25-2004, 10:55 AM
sport10

I am under the impression that AFP will work on a mac because it is based on OpenGL.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:26 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Are their any flight sims that will work on a Macintosh?

Sorry, Chris.

OpenG(raphics)L(anguage) is just a programming language for graphics only. But you're right in one way, OpenGL is not platform dependent.

One of the very few languages that also is not platform dependent is "C" (and "C++") provided a compiler/assembler has been written for the machine you want to run the software on.

So, IF AFP is written in C, and IF the program owner has a Mac with a C assembler, and IF he wants to do it, AFP can be made to run on a Mac.

Dave Brown used to have a version of his FS for the Apple II, it included a two stick adapter that plugged into the game port.

Bill.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:50 PM
bluesky123
My Feedback: (2)

blwblw,
I beg you, ple-e-e-e-ase, spare this peaceful R/C forum from Mac-PC wars!

I work as a software developer at a company, which develops 3D geometric software for many different platforms, including all Windows versions, a couple of MacOS versions, and numerous Unix/Linux flavors. When it comes to porting the code to Mac, it's a major pain in the *****... Lack of advanced development tools like Microsoft VisualStudio together with peculiarities of Mac makes it very difficult/expensive to develop any Mac software. When you account for minuscule market share of Mac, it will become obvious why so many companies are dropping support for Mac (BTW, I've heard that Apple pays/"bribes" software companies to continue porting their products on Mac to keep this platform alive.)
Old 10-25-2004, 02:12 PM
bluesky123
My Feedback: (2)

Despite my previous remarks, I've discovered several Mac simulators. some of which are quite decent.

The one I like the most is Slope Soaring Simulator, SSS:
[link=http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/sss]www.rowlhouse.co.uk/sss[/link]
It feels increadibly real, flight model is as good or better than that of leading PC simulators.

For helie folks there's RC Helicopter Simulator:
http://www.alphamacsoftware.com/

I've tried both sims with USB interface from MileHighWings.com, they work quite well.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:51 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Time to re-open this subject, I need a Sim for a Mac. Anyone with experience on the subject, would welcome your input!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:11 AM
ggunners

AFPD runs on a Mac. So does the free crrcsim. ggunners
Old 04-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Gizmo-RCU

What is AFPD?
Old 04-25-2011, 02:11 AM
ggunners

[link=http://www.aerofly.com/afpd/]AeroFly Professional Deluxe[/link]
Old 04-25-2011, 05:45 AM
Gizmo-RCU

Thank You! Will check it out.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 AM
opjose

AF5 ( Newer ) has a MAC version too.

If your mac is of the newer variety, you can run Realflight under Bootcamp too.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Gizmo-RCU

Thanks, just ordered the AeroFly, should arrive on Monday[8D]