Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Phoenix multiplayer - hmmmm

Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Phoenix multiplayer - hmmmm

Old 02-27-2010, 08:16 AM
emk_1971

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix multiplayer - hmmmm

Hi

Let me just say the Phoenix simulator is really great - maybe one of the best right now.
One of the reasons i purchased this simulator was because of multiplayer function.
But this is where work needs to be done i think

Usually there are maybe 10-20 people online worldwide.
But its really hard to connect (yes- the ports are open)
And when it finally connects, the planes are jerky with a LOT of lag.
Is it really much more difficult to implement multiplayer in a simulator than shoot'em ups ?
Old 02-27-2010, 08:27 AM
gunneredwards
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Phoenix multiplayer - hmmmm

If you like flying together then you should try www.realitycraft.com, they have good single person sims and a dogfight rc game that 6 can play. Used the standard sim controller and is a lot of fun.
dan
Old 02-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your connect speed and your PC speed. My 4 year old laptop with wireless network connection works on Phoenix offline, well but when I go on to multiplayer it is jerky. However our desktop works quite well on multiplayer so its this laptop rather than our connection.

We've done pattern conests on line, as well as combat using Phoenix its a blast.

See you there,
rcearobaticvideo.com
Old 06-01-2010, 07:21 PM
q8jet

hi

can any one teel me the phonix works with the macbook tanks 4 all ..
Old 06-01-2010, 08:42 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Yup, my multiplayer is a bit jerky too. What really bugs me is the same problem as RF, different versions don't work together. Good grief! The internet has been around for over 30 years and all the protocols are written in stone... if you care to use them proprerly. The multiplayer portion of both sims is just sloppy amateurish programming. I've been in IT for 30 years and am a Cisco certified networking instructor so this not an opinion, it is an expert observation.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Boone

ORIGINAL: dbcisco

Yup, my multiplayer is a bit jerky too. What really bugs me is the same problem as RF, different versions don't work together. Good grief! The internet has been around for over 30 years and all the protocols are written in stone... if you care to use them proprerly. The multiplayer portion of both sims is just sloppy amateurish programming. I've been in IT for 30 years and am a Cisco certified networking instructor so this not an opinion, it is an expert observation.
If you're a Cisco certified "expert" surely you realize that TCP, UDP etc being static means absolutely nothing in regards to the Application layer protocol?

Anyone who's tried will tell you that developing a quality real-time online gaming system is a VERY difficult problem. Your 30 years in IT and Cisco cert's do not in any way make you an expert on the subject and your opinions on the matter are as irrelevant as my own.

Different versions not working together, while annoying, is a completely understandable limitation once you understand how such a system by necessity must work.

Sorry to call you out like this, but while the multiplayer portion of the sims may be a bit disappointing and could likely be improved, calling it sloppy and amateurish is a stretch and unfair.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:36 PM
dbcisco
Banned

There are standards for all kinds of MIME standards for applications to use for network interoperability (esp. UDP).
However, if they are changing their own program's data attributes with every patch then they are seriously amateur programmers.
Real programmer have little difficulty with backwards compatibility.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Boone

Heh, yea, it's the MIME (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) standards. They should use the UDP one. And not change their "data attributes" every patch, yes yes, that'll fix their backwards compatibility problems. Is what real programmer do.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:30 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I am in a quandryabout whether or not to buy the phoneix or for that matter any of them.my dilemna is the pc itself.my current dell is 6 years old and has NVIDA gragphic so its very functional but I want to replace it with a new laptopand I am being told that the gG% and most flight sim games need a dedicated graphics card of 1GB.

Can anyone tell me if the phoneix will run okay on a new hp or any laptop with integrated graphics.??

I want to practice my 3D on a sim during the winter months.I downloaded the demo on my wifes hp as it has a 512 Nvida card.the demo ran fine so does that mean it will run the software with no issues.??
Old 06-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Boone

I'm sure any new laptop you pick up nowadays should run any of the sim's pretty well.

In any case, the demos are the perfect way to find out. They run the same code and should put your computer through the same load that the full sim should. So if the demo runs well, you can be confident the full version will work just as well.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:06 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Be careful. A lot of money for a product you can't return if it doesn't work.
Demos and "its a new computer" are not guarantees that anything will run.
Call the manufacturer with the specifics of your computer and make sure it will run well and not in "crippled mode".
Old 06-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Boone

Fair enough, I may have been a bit hasty with my first statement. They do sell some crappy stuff!

But I do believe that the demos ARE the best and in fact the ONLY way to see how a sim will run on your computer. If the demo runs well, the full version will typically run just as well. They are essentially the exact same thing with fewer model options, fewer scenery options and maybe some other limitations which shouldn't affect performance.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:05 AM
dbcisco
Banned

You can only work with what you have. Run the demo and contact the company and ask them bluntly if it will work on your exact computer. Email is a good record of their promises. Buy it with paypal or credit card so you can try to get your money back if it doesn't work.
Hopefully you will have no problems and have fun. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:59 AM
DrifterF

So even though phoenix is no longer supported multiplayer is still working ok ? i wonder if its possible to get/buy the original source code etc from who originally made it. Not for profit atal just so updates can be done etc.