Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Fuel tank clean out

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank clean out

Picked up a CG 90 trainer from a yard sale
want to clean all of the fuel system
nitro fuel is so expensive, can I use methanol
Old 08-15-2021, 08:51 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Soap and water and a little scrubbing in the tank is fine. Rinse. Then let it dry. Methanol is ok. I think to get dried up crap cleaned out soap is better.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:46 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use isopropyl alcohol. It works similarly to methanol and is less toxic. But soap and water are probably better.
Old 08-28-2021, 05:57 PM

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

I won’t introduce more water to a system than is whats critically necessary. BEST thing to do is replace brass parts with new, replace the tubing and if needed, replace the tank plug. Clean the inside with acetone and an old toothbrush. Acetone works better and faster than any of the alcohols. However methanol would be the best one to use if acetone is t an option.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmccrabb58
Picked up a CG 90 trainer from a yard sale
want to clean all of the fuel system
nitro fuel is so expensive, can I use methanol
Your nitro fuel is also methanol. Methanol, oil and nitromethane. So pure methanol is ok to use if you can get it. I wouldn't waste methanol though since I use methanol, mix with oil and run then engine with it.

For cleaning I get denatured alcohol from the hardware store.

Soap and hot water is also good. Just make sure you let everything dry before putting things back together.

Depending on the condition of the fuel system. You can probably save the tank but the rubber stopper may be old, brittle and sometimes even gummy. I would get a new one from Dubro or Sullivan product. Also new silicone fuel line will help. You want to make sure the plumbing is good so there is no leak or blockage.