Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Rc Fuel Faq

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 11:19 AM
chuckb13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Changes?

Fuelman,

I recently purchased a Super Tigre G-90 and am curious to see what fuel you would reccomend. The directions state you need 5-15% nitro and 18%-20% oil. I am new to Super Tigre engines and want a fuel that I can break the motor in with but also use at the field. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chuck B13
Since you live in PA, I would highly recommend one of the 5%, 10% or 15% blends from S&W. Their standard fuels contain a castor synthetic blend at 18 or 205 total oil and it is fantastic fuel. They are in Easton PA, phone 610-252-2024, tell him I told you to call.
Back to the subject, Any of the national brands that fall within the recommended nitro content that contain a castor/ synthetic blend. I have always touted the benefits of castor oil in reasonable quantities in modern engines. Cooper's, S&W, Omega, and a couple other popular brands would all be just fine for your 90.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:45 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fuelman, what fuel should we use out here in Arizona?

Jerry
Old 04-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Fuelman

Hey Jerry,
Mine of course.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:31 AM
chuckb13

Unfortunately the area I live in is about 2 hrs north of easton and every shop around me either sells omega or cool power. I havent put any fuel in the engine yet. I did buy the omega since it was 17% oil and 15% nitro. Should I add aditional oil to get the oil % above 18 or would omega by itself be ok to use without any additional oil. I have 3 planes and would be running all 3 on the same fuel. I have an tiger thunder .42 an os .46ax and the Super Tigre G-90. Any advice would help. Thanks a bunch. I am actually going down to philadelphia next friday so I may have to make a quick stop at S&W to get their fuel. Couldnt hurt.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:51 PM
Fuelman

Chuck,
the Omega will be fine, if you want to add a couple ounces of castor or synthetic to it that will not hurt a thing, but you're OK without doing that.
I would call S&W and see if you could arrange something, his fuel is top notch.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:03 AM
xrboss

Fuelman,
To mix fuel using weight measurements, use home brew buddy available http://www.taa.org.au/html/home_brew.html . This program uses the SG of the fuel and oils and temperature coefficients to determine the correct weight to attain the correct volumetric ratio's.

Ross
Old 04-30-2005, 05:44 AM
Fuelman

Ross,
Yes, that is a nice tool if you choose to work in small batches (few liters at a time) and use a kitchen scale. I still prefer measurement by level volume at a constant temp.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:52 PM
xrboss

Fuelman,
To mix fuel in small batches, I can not think of a more precise method. It takes into account the different expansion rates of the different chemicals. Obviously for a commercial application it would not be suitable, larger amounts involved. Do you sell straight synthetic oil? What is the oil called, and is it available in Australia?

Ross
Old 05-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Fuelman

Yes, we sell our oils.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:02 PM
xrboss

Fuelman,
Is it available in Australia?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:38 AM
Quick 1

First let me apologize if you have covered this already. I fly and mess around with nitro trucks and cars and in all my years of beginning this hobby have really not known the affects of the two different fuels in different applications (Nitro cars and Aircraft) Why do they say, do not use airplane fuel in nitro car motors or vice versa?
Old 05-02-2005, 06:56 AM
Fuelman

Good question Jon,
Why do they say, do not use airplane fuel in nitro car motors or vice versa?
Lets not let the flames get out of hand here folks, this is my opinion.
First of all- many car fuels have low oil contents, usualy around 10% to 15% or so. That is where the little hi-revving, over cooled engines are most responsive in transition and top end.
Second- Many airplane fuels contain between 16% and 22% or more in total lubricant because that is what many engine manufacturers recommend.

To answer your question, car makers recommend car fuel because they more than likely have a car fuel blend made for them and want you to buy the very expensive car fuel (with their name on it of course). The engines will run just fine with most car fuels on the market with the appropriate nitro content.
No airplane engine manufacturer that I know of has a fuel made for them, so they just recommend a fuel which contains XXXX and XXX. I have not seen an airplane engine instruction book that recommends a real low oil for a common use sport engine. I have seen one that recommends 15% or more, and that is about as low as I've seen recently.

So, unless you are real sharp on the needles and the car fuel has some pretty spectacular oils in it, you may not want to run a low oil car fuel in an airplane or heli engine. (I have several customers that do, but thats a different story). Now, you can run a high oil airplane fuel in a car engine without any problems, you just will not have the performance or the super crisp transition. The extra oil in a car engine will change the tune considerably, you will need to open the high and low speed needles up a considerable amount to get the same amount of burnable mixture in the combustion chamber and they will run a touch warmer.

You will not hurt a car engine by running a high oil fuel through it, it just needs to be tuned correctly.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Quick 1

Thank you very much for your quick response and good info
Old 10-11-2005, 08:13 AM
michael96048

Hi all.....I am new to this site and I have a problem. I am in the Army and deployed to Iraq. I would love to have my T-Maxx sent out here but as you probably know its not legal to ship nitro via air. I do have access to some materials to make the fuel but not all of them. I have methanol and synthetic lube but no nitro. I wanted to know it I can still use a mixture of methanol and synthetic oil to power my truck. If I can, let me know what mixture I should use....I was thinking 20% synthetic oil and 80% methanol. Thank you for all of your help on this.

Michael
Old 10-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Dr Nitro

Michael,
What synthetic oil are you talking about? Rather than chance it, have whoever is going to ship you your truck, send a quart of castor oil with it, that way you'll be sure you can make it mix with methanol. No problems shipping castor.
And yes, 0% nitro will work in a car engine if you remove the head shims, use a hotter plug and take the time to tune it so it runs good on it. It will probably need to be leaned out both high speed and low speed needles. 20% oil is probably way too much, but it could be made to work, I was thinking about more like 12% to 15% oil for the car engine. you will not have the performance you were used to.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:13 PM
iflynething

I'm Michael also, and for a minute I thought you were talking to me Dr Nitro....but obviously not. I was like, I didn't say anything. I just didn't notice that, oh neverminds........I know who you're talking about now

~Michael~
Old 10-11-2005, 04:31 PM
michael96048

Thank you for all your help....I am going to have some castor sent to me but I have a military type synthetic lube. It is used for turbine engines on the Abrams tank. Maybe it will work maybe no. I will let you know what happens...I might be asking the forom for the best place to buy an engine for a t-maxx in a few weeks, but hopefully it doesn't come the that....lol

Michael
Old 10-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Fuelman

I sent you an email Michael.
Dr Nitro pretty much nailed it. Zero nitro can be used in cars and trucks, it just takes a bit of patience and tuning.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:07 AM
vlizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rc Fuel Faq

ORIGINAL: Fuelman

Folks,
This FAQ thread has not seen much activity in a couple months.

How about a few questions from some of our newer members or folks surfing through. Or, if you have a subject area (fuel related of course) that you would like a little further insight into, please feel free to ask.

As I mentioned in post #1, I will do my best to answer any an all of your questions with fact. I will contact other experts in the field to answer a question if necessary.

Thank you for visiting the forum.
Hello Fuelman, I have what might be cosidered a stupid question but here goes anyhow. Since I started flying way back in the mid 70's some of the people I know shake or swirl their fuel cans to "keep it mixed" while others say this is a waste of time. To tell ya the truth I am one of the swirlers. What do you think?
Old 10-31-2005, 01:14 AM
Fuelman

Any time you mix castor oil in with anything that contains nitromethane, the possibility of it having some separation is possible. If you ever get little white snowflakes in the fuel, that is the separation I am referring to. The more castor or the more nitro, the possibility of the greater amount of snowflakes, especially when it gets colder. Since castor is a 100% natural product, that also has a factor to play, sometimes it will not flake out and sometimes it will. Generally this only occurs in very cold conditions. All it takes is a quick shake or swirl and its good as new.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:04 AM
mikenlapaz

Fuelman,
Whew, just finished the full thread. Congrads on your handling of the questions. A few questions:
1) Is it correct that if a synthetic oil will mix with Meth, it is probably OK to use? Not many 2 cycle engines locally and the supply of 2- stroke oil ( dos tiempo aceite) is solely ELF brand 100% synthetic. Works fine on converted weedie gassers!
Do you have any experience with this oil is it compatable with methanol?

Name brand US made glow is over $50.00/ gal purchased locally.
So plan to blend some with some new Powermaster brought from US. Should Klotz Kl-100 work ok with the oils in Powermaster?
From a price view point, I assume US fuel companies are using 'industrial grade' vs medical quality. Is that correct? Locally .95US/liter (industrial) vs $30/gal (medical)
Old 11-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Dr Nitro

If an oil will mix wtih methanol, it may work in a glow engine. Only way to find out for sure is try it. Not familiar with the ELF brand.

Why do you need to blend oil with Powermaster?, it is already a fully formulated glow fuel. Just run it.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:06 PM
mikenlapaz

Why do you need to blend oil with Powermaster?,
1)
Name brand US made glow is over $50.00 US / gal purchased locally.
So plan to blend some with some new Powermaster brought from US. Should Klotz Kl-100 work ok with the oils in Powermaster?
Plan is to add both methonal and oil and end up with cheaper fuel per oz. with lower nitro and castor oil percentages.

2) The engine is an OS 52 FS From what I've read, 4Strokes are better off operated with castor at less than 4% of the mix.

3) I do not think there is a need for 15% nitro in a new ringed 4 stroke.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Fuelman

ORIGINAL: mikenlapaz

Fuelman,
Whew, just finished the full thread. Congrads on your handling of the questions. A few questions:
1) Is it correct that if a synthetic oil will mix with Meth, it is probably OK to use? Not many 2 cycle engines locally and the supply of 2- stroke oil ( dos tiempo aceite) is solely ELF brand 100% synthetic. Works fine on converted weedie gassers!
Do you have any experience with this oil is it compatable with methanol?

Name brand US made glow is over $50.00/ gal purchased locally.
From a price view point, I assume US fuel companies are using 'industrial grade' vs medical quality. Is that correct? Locally .95US/liter (industrial) vs $30/gal (medical)
I do not believe that the Elf oil will mix with methanol. I may be mistaken, but you can try a small amount. No guarantee that it will have the properties desired to protect your engines. Very few synthetics on the shelf will blend with methanol. Blendzall and Klotz are the only ones I am aware of in widespread use in the western hemisphere.
I would think that the industrial grade methanol will suit your needs if it has a very high purity and certified not to have other "junk" in is as some second hand methanols will have. If the purity is 99% or real close it is useable, obviously the higher the purity, the better the end product.
I wish I could help more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.