Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Official Losi 26cc 5IVE-T Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Official Losi 26cc 5IVE-T Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:33 AM
rob64n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Losi 26cc 5IVE-T Thread

Torque effect as some call it, is the reason you can take a nitro and float it through the air by on and off the throttle. unlike some 1/5 scales the way the engine is mounted it rotates opposite which counters the wheel rotation causing a somewhat neutral but uncontrollable reaction. the torque issue foxy is talking about, I understand from owning my 1/5 scales, plus drag racing. It does have a name but everyone calls it something different. I call it launch control. some launch to the right which most of mine do, and some launch to the left. so you stiffen the right spring and send your power to the left, to balance it. do the oppositeif it pulls to theleft.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:41 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In air control works for electric cars too. It's the chassis pitch being affected by the torque in the axles.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:51 AM
rob64n

yeah definately with brushless motors, but I rather call that the GYRO effect,lol
Old 09-19-2011, 10:31 AM
mooman007uk

the wheels have a certain amount of gyroscopic effect (different to torque effect, that is described by robyn) which is what gives you in flight control especially with nitros....all to do with the tires spinning.......exactly the same effect as a MX bike off jumps....rev it to get the back end down, hit the brake to get the front to pitch down.

as i said previously the counter rotation of the centre drive train will all but eliminate the effect from the engine crankshaft.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:41 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

the wheels have a certain amount of gyroscopic effect (different to torque effect, that is described by robyn) which is what gives you in flight control especially with nitros....all to do with the tires spinning.......exactly the same effect as a MX bike off jumps....rev it to get the back end down, hit the brake to get the front to pitch down.

I totally agree. Does not work very well with 2WD works much better with 4WD. You can all so by turning the font wheels make it go right or left to a degree.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as i said previously the counter rotation of the centre drive train will all but eliminate the effect from the engine crankshaft.
There is no counter rotation, unless there was another engine on the other side. It's exactly the same effect that causes cars to pull wheelies. One part wants to stand still while the other wants to accelerate, it's just its harder to notice (but not impossible) when its lateral.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oops, double post.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:43 PM
sheograth

Yeah Foxy is right.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Automan

This truck seams very interresting, maybe i will get this for christmas... if my fiance lets me as i already have a few largescale that takes up alot of space.

If i would get this losi 4wd i may consider making it brushless... (maybe i will or maybe just stick with gasoline), i already have a badass hpi baja 5sc ss brushless, would be cool with a 4wd brushless... i guess it would have to be a littlebit bigger motor and esc than i use now as it's 4wd so i can wheelie this to anytime

Checked this losi some, and many things looks good, but im still not totally convinced it will hold up like the hpi's etc... we just have to see when people start using these machines and beat the hell out of them

Hopefully i will get this for christmas if it's good enough, sad they dont make a kit so i can build it myself.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:46 PM
mooman007uk

ORIGINAL: Foxy

There is no counter rotation, unless there was another engine on the other side. It's exactly the same effect that causes cars to pull wheelies. One part wants to stand still while the other wants to accelerate, it's just its harder to notice (but not impossible) when its lateral.

i beg to differ...which way is the centre diff,shafts and pinions rotating? opposite to the engine so hence a mass with resistance (the mass of the diffs and wheels) is counter rotating the engine crankshaft ..if you rev the motor before the clutch engages you will see the chassis rock a little due to torque effect but as soon as it engages it will have that force against it....a car pulling wheelies has nothing to do with this principle of torque effect...the twist of the chassis is the torque effect...wheelies are caused by the pinion climbing up the ring gear because the rear tires have more resistance than the applied force and mass ahead of the fulcrum point (the hub centre at the rear wheels).. so the front end comes up...... that is newtons law of equal and opposite reaction....tires grip, chassis becomes the opposite reaction of the force applied to the ring gear.

all that said i can pretty much guarantee that you will never notice any yaw during filght off jumps due to the engines position
Old 09-19-2011, 03:03 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Cars wheelie because torque at the hub combined with the traction at the tire overcomes the weight of the forward part of the car. The wheel wants to rotate, the ground wont let it... so the car itself goes the opposite direction (up). Torque steer in a car with a live axle (like a crawler) is caused by the load on the driveline. The motor wants the diff to rotate, traction at the wheels doesn't... so the entire axle twists off center. In the case of this Losi up there, torque steer would only be caused by the rotational mass of parts accelerating/decelerating, and would be extremely minimal. What he mooman is talking about (steering), is gyroscopic. You can feel the same effect when you spin a bicycle wheel in your hands and try to turn it. This is not torque steer.

Not arguing, just injecting my 2 cents.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:11 PM
sheograth

We're debating about the same phenomenon using different colloquial terms :P
Old 09-19-2011, 03:56 PM
nitrohead5300

Time on the race track will tell if the Losi has torque steer problems. But I believe that MOOMAN is right. I believe that the Losi chassis with the stock 26cc motor will not have a torque steer problem. BUT with a modified BIG BLOCK WHO KNOWS???
Old 09-19-2011, 05:28 PM
nitrohead5300

I heard rumors that at the BAJA FEST Adam Drake was running a big block 30cc in his Losi does anyone know if this was true??
Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 PM
TGNman

ORIGINAL: nitrohead5300

I heard rumors that at the BAJA FEST Adam Drake was running a big block 30cc in his Losi does anyone know if this was true??
Adam was running the BZM-Micro 28.5cc engine which you can see here: http://www.tgndistributing.com/large...ro-bizeta.html

You can see pictures of it here:
http://photos.tgndistributing.com/Ho...8852728_r742mF

We ran a X-Can on for his final race, gave us some great low end grunt and decent top speed. http://www.tgndistributing.com/hpi-x-can-kit.html

Mark Hull
Old 09-19-2011, 09:24 PM
sheograth

The BZM micro 28.5 is awesome. I drove a car with one, most power I've ever felt in a single cylinder engine.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:27 PM
nitrohead5300

Thanks TGN!!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:30 PM
sheograth

Does anyone have one of these yet?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:45 PM
TGNman

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Does anyone have one of these yet?
No one should at the moment....Horizon has not release them but we hope to see them available any day now. We have our fingers crossed...

Check out the newest video and information I posted on LSN. It's a comparison of the Losi 5IVE-T and the HPI Baja 5sc in size, shape and weight. Check it:

http://largescalenews.com/2011/09/lo...ight-size-etc/

Oh and if you want to pre-order you better get in line. I can promise you this, I expect them to all be sold out at almost all dealers in less than a week.

http://www.tgndistributing.com/large...rive-kits.html

Mark Hull
Old 10-01-2011, 10:29 PM
waqr

Maybe it`s just me but I can`t really see the advantage in the huge size of this car. Why should everything just get bigger and heavier all the time? To me this truck looks just oversized and clumsy. Don`t get me wrong I think it looks cool but why don`t design a bit more nimbler large scale truck. I think my Baja 5B is just the right size for a large scale.......

I think we have to teach you US guys that bigger is not always better

Old 10-01-2011, 11:39 PM
sheograth

The physics are different on larger scale cars, and that's what I like about them. They handle more realistically.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 PM
TGNman

ORIGINAL: waqr

Maybe it`s just me but I can`t really see the advantage in the huge size of this car. Why should everything just get bigger and heavier all the time? To me this truck looks just oversized and clumsy. Don`t get me wrong I think it looks cool but why don`t design a bit more nimbler large scale truck. I think my Baja 5B is just the right size for a large scale.......

I think we have to teach you US guys that bigger is not always better

Well to each their own and thats what choices are all about. The 5IVE-T size is only 2.5" longer than a 5SC and a 5SC is the same platform as your 5B. So we are not talking about a huge difference.

I will have to agree with sheograth, large scale just runs different, feels different and looks different. I am not saying it is "better" but it IS different thats for sure. For me, I like my 1/24 indoors, my 1/10 on the streets, backyards and parks and for the desert, dunes, beach or large construction areas etc, you can not beet the power and durability of a large scale.

There are also several aspects to large scale that seem to trigger interest by "non hobbyists" which I believe is a very valuable aspect to what we are doing. The size, scale realism, sound, two strokes, hop-ups etc are what get these people to pull the $1000+ trigger.

There is a place for all scales and I hope to always be able to afford the luxury of owning all of them.

Mark Hull
Old 10-06-2011, 08:28 PM
sheograth

Any word on tuned pipes for this thing? Or other hop ups?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:43 PM
TGNman

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Any word on tuned pipes for this thing? Or other hop ups?
Yeah there is some talk over on RCLS about a sweet tuned pipe from Bartolone pipe coming out for the Losi 5IVE-T. TGN will be carrying this pipe and will have it in stock very soon.

Losi is also making some HP parts like billet parts etc. http://www.tgndistributing.com/large...-parts.html#16

Mark Hull
Old 10-06-2011, 08:49 PM
sheograth

Cool.

And I'm assuming engine compatibility is standard?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.