Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

King Motors Baja Review with pictures

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

King Motors Baja Review with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:58 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: King Motors Baja Review with pictures

Tumtuk, do you own both the KM and HPI Bajas?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Tumtuk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bbuzzard

Tumtuk, do you own both the KM and HPI Bajas?
I do not own the HPI no, I have a good friend that owns a HPI 5B SS.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:47 PM
bbuzzard

I have a good friend who owns the HPI also and he was impressed with the durability of my KM...in fact, he ended up buying a KM in the 5T version and it was his best basher after an engine and gear swap(fast too...we clocked it doing 60mph on the road). I would never say that KM's plastic was brittle on mine...in fact I did my best to break the arms on it so I could put RPM arms on it (I got a really good deal on a full set and they were sitting on the shelf) Since you are new around here, I will give the benefit of the doubt but be warned there are a lot of KM end-users on this thread and we have heard a lot of comparisons between the HPI and the KM. One more clone-a-phobe ain't gonna be productive(on this thread).

2 more cents....

Old 01-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Tumtuk

I have a good friend who owns the HPI also and he was impressed with the durability of my KM...in fact, he ended up buying a KM in the 5T version and it was his best basher after an engine and gear swap(fast too...we clocked it doing 60mph on the road). I would never say that KM's plastic was brittle on mine...in fact I did my best to break the arms on it so I could put RPM arms on it (I got a really good deal on a full set and they were sitting on the shelf) Since you are new around here, I will give the benefit of the doubt but be warned there are a lot of KM end-users on this thread and we have heard a lot of comparisons between the HPI and the KM. One more clone-a-phobe ain't gonna be productive(on this thread).

2 more cents....
I would have to say that labeling me a "clone-a-phobe" is pretty harsh if you actually read my posts. One, I OWN a clone and love it. Two, I stated that it "might" be a bit more brittle, I should have expanded on that and said also that I had the left rear shock support break and judging by the way it broke it seemed that the plastic was quite brittle. This may have been just mine, maybe not, I cant say but coming from 20+ years as an ASE certified master automotive technician I do know what I see when a part breaks and the plastic was brittle it had no stretching or deforming at all before it failed. I will post photos of the break as soon as Ican. I am not blaming the "clone" yet my friends HPI is still on the original set of rear shock supports and that leads me believe the HPI plastics are a bit better. That does not make the KM bad though and I believe for the money they out pace the HPI. This thread is a review thread for the KM not a clone huger thread, I for one want to see everything posted good or bad.

I would say yes to anyone that asked me if they should buy the KM , although if I had the disposable income to afford the HPI I would have probably bought one but I do not see how that is bashing clones. If i could afford a Mercedes I probably wouldn't drive a Chevy, that does not make Chevy a bad car.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:35 AM
tonystott

Tumtuk, Ihave to agree with your defence.. I didn't think your post was in any way biased. Perhaps bbuzzard has caught a mild dose of HPIper-sensitivty () and is maybe looking for inferences which aren't there.

I just broke one head bolt on the motor on my Rovan, but I am not going to suggest that the head bolts on Rovans are inferior to the "real" ones
Old 01-04-2011, 04:36 AM
Baja Junkie

ORIGINAL: countstevula

on eBay..... item # 190483663478 or search for "2011 upgrade km". $1188 +299 shipping from Singapore.....don't recognize the seller......maybe clone of a clone?
ORIGINAL: Baja Junkie

I just had a look for the short course truck, but couldn't find it, could you post up a link?
Thanks for the link, but man, that T2000 has to be one of the ugliest things on 4 wheels, (don't get me wrong I love my KM 2.0) on the other hand the HPI Short Course Truck looks trick!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 AM
bbuzzard

ORIGINAL: Tumtuk
I would have to say that labeling me a "clone-a-phobe" is pretty harsh if you actually read my posts. One, I OWN a clone and love it. Two, I stated that it "might" be a bit more brittle, I should have expanded on that and said also that I had the left rear shock support break and judging by the way it broke it seemed that the plastic was quite brittle. This may have been just mine, maybe not, I cant say but coming from 20+ years as an ASE certified master automotive technician I do know what I see when a part breaks and the plastic was brittle it had no stretching or deforming at all before it failed. I will post photos of the break as soon as Ican. I am not blaming the "clone" yet my friends HPI is still on the original set of rear shock supports and that leads me believe the HPI plastics are a bit better. That does not make the KM bad though and I believe for the money they out pace the HPI. This thread is a review thread for the KM not a clone huger thread, I for one want to see everything posted good or bad.

I would say yes to anyone that asked me if they should buy the KM , although if I had the disposable income to afford the HPI I would have probably bought one but I do not see how that is bashing clones. If i could afford a Mercedes I probably wouldn't drive a Chevy, that does not make Chevy a bad car.
I wasn't trying to infer anything and I may have been a little harsh. There are so many versions of the KM, Rovan, Shengqui(sp?), who's to say what is a definitive problem with these particular clones anymore. I have seen HPI parts break when bashing and as I stated before I broke KM parts too(although my breakage was due to utitily pole crashes) The real issue I have with all of the clone RTR's are their servos and choice of engines(which ensures that the unit comes in way cheaper than the HPI) Plastic breaks and you replace it(thank goodness it doesn't cost a lot). Unless you run a KM vs. a HPI at the same time, in the same conditions, there is no way to compare them fairly...and yes, I may be a little sensitive to all the clone-a-phobia that has spread due to ignorance...3 cents now and I am over it.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:56 AM
Baja Junkie

2 more cents....

There is no way you are a "clone a phobe" (great term by the way, bbuzzard) try a reading few other RC forums then you will see the true meaning of "clone a phobe" I thought your post was very unbiased, I too own a KM clone which I love, but if I had my time over, I would go with a HPI SS kit, I went with the KM after studying this and other forums, but in the end, I didn't have the funds for the HPI.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:00 AM
Baja Junkie

I wasn't trying to infer anything and I may have been a little harsh. There are so many versions of the KM, Rovan, Shengqui(sp?), who's to say what is a definitive problem with these particular clones anymore. I have seen HPI parts break when bashing and as I stated before I broke KM parts too(although my breakage was due to utitily pole crashes) The real issue I have with all of the clone RTR's are their servos and choice of engines(which ensures that the unit comes in way cheaper than the HPI) Plastic breaks and you replace it(thank goodness it doesn't cost a lot). Unless you run a KM vs. a HPI at the same time, in the same conditions, there is no way to compare them fairly...and yes, I may be a little sensitive to all the clone-a-phobia that has spread due to ignorance...3 cents now and I am over it.

Spot on with the servo and engine comment, I had to replace mine quite early in the piece.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:58 AM
magnum500

2 more cents....
I would have to say that labeling me a ''clone-a-phobe'' is pretty harsh if you actually read my posts. One, I OWN a clone and love it. Two, I stated that it ''might'' be a bit more brittle, I should have expanded on that and said also that I had the left rear shock support break and judging by the way it broke it seemed that the plastic was quite brittle. This may have been just mine, maybe not, I cant say but coming from 20+ years as an ASE certified master automotive technician I do know what I see when a part breaks and the plastic was brittle it had no stretching or deforming at all before it failed. I will post photos of the break as soon as I can. I am not blaming the ''clone'' yet my friends HPI is still on the original set of rear shock supports and that leads me believe the HPI plastics are a bit better. That does not make the KM bad though and I believe for the money they out pace the HPI. This thread is a review thread for the KM not a clone huger thread, I for one want to see everything posted good or bad.

There is no way you are a ''clone a phobe'' (great term by the way, bbuzzard) try a reading few other RC forums then you will see the true meaning of ''clone a phobe'' I thought your post was very unbiased, I too own a KM clone which I love, but if I had my time over, I would go with a HPI SS kit, I went with the KM after studying this and other forums, but in the end, I didn't have the funds for the HPI.

what would your reason be to buy the hpi ? i can see why buz is on the attack ,in my own experiance my fellow racers tend to look down on me for the non hpi purchase , the fact of the matter is not one can tell when the truck has the hpi body on it . i think its a mindset......sorta like a mercedes owner looking at a chevy owner .
my 2c
Old 01-04-2011, 06:07 AM
tonystott

It is the most overplayed useless piece of d**k measuring BS Ihave ever heard of. People with a sanctemonious "holier-than-thou" attitude trying and failing miserbly to justify spending more dollars per smile than someone else, ESPECIALLY when their buggy has hardly any original parts on it. There are many important issues in life, and this ain't one of 'em.

Let's argue religion or politics, we are sure to find an answer quicker there....
Old 01-04-2011, 06:17 AM
countstevula

ORIGINAL: tonystott

It is the most overplayed useless piece of d**k measuring BS Ihave ever heard of. People with a sanctemonious "holier-than-thou" attitude trying and failing miserbly to justify spending more dollars per smile than someone else, ESPECIALLY when their buggy has hardly any original parts on it. There are many important issues in life, and this ain't one of 'em.

Let's argue religion or politics, we are sure to find an answer quicker there....
No let's NOT argue those things.......this thread is already 218 pages! LOL

Old 01-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Baja Junkie

ORIGINAL: magnum500

2 more cents....
I would have to say that labeling me a ''clone-a-phobe'' is pretty harsh if you actually read my posts. One, I OWN a clone and love it. Two, I stated that it ''might'' be a bit more brittle, I should have expanded on that and said also that I had the left rear shock support break and judging by the way it broke it seemed that the plastic was quite brittle. This may have been just mine, maybe not, I cant say but coming from 20+ years as an ASE certified master automotive technician I do know what I see when a part breaks and the plastic was brittle it had no stretching or deforming at all before it failed. I will post photos of the break as soon as Ican. I am not blaming the ''clone'' yet my friends HPI is still on the original set of rear shock supports and that leads me believe the HPI plastics are a bit better. That does not make the KM bad though and I believe for the money they out pace the HPI. This thread is a review thread for the KM not a clone huger thread, I for one want to see everything posted good or bad.

There is no way you are a ''clone a phobe'' (great term by the way, bbuzzard) try a reading few other RC forums then you will see the true meaning of ''clone a phobe'' I thought your post was very unbiased, I too own a KM clone which I love, but if I had my time over, I would go with a HPI SS kit, I went with the KM after studying this and other forums, but in the end, I didn't have the funds for the HPI.

what would your reason be to buy the hpi ? i can see why buz is on the attack ,in my own experiance my fellow racers tend to look down on me for the non hpi purchase , the fact of the matter is not one can tell when the truck has the hpi body on it . i think its a mindset......sorta like a mercedes owner looking at a chevy owner .
my 2c
The main reason I wanted the HPI SS kit was to build it myself and learn about my new toy. I knew there were issues with the KM engine quality, I rolled the dice and well, the engine lasted around 5 tanks, I haven't heard of too many HPI engines letting go that early. I'm not looking down on a non HPI purchase, I love my KM, but if I could do it all over again, knowing what I know now and had the funds I would get the SS kit.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:27 AM
tonystott

Four little words "and had the funds" If I had the funds I would drive a bugatti Veyron. The price is obviously the only reason why people don't buy the HPI
Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Tumtuk

ORIGINAL: countstevula

ORIGINAL: tonystott

No let's NOT argue those things.......this thread is already 218 pages! LOL

I wont argue any of it lol.

The reason I am here at all is that I used this and many other resources to make my decision in buying the KM over the HPI. Knowing I really didn't want to pay the money HPI asks, I came here to see both the good AND bad on the KM's. If we only talk about the good then we fail to be honest and let people know what is truth.

There are good and bad points to both the KM and the HPI, as a consumer, I want to know! I don't want flowery talk about whats better or who is the best, just honest opinions based on actual tests...bashing the hell out of one I read, considered, then bought a KM. Now I will be honest about my opinions on it. They wont be biased one way or another, just my opinion and what I find to be true in use.

To answer the question "why would I buy the HPI over the KM if I had the money?" honestly it would be for more local support ( and Imean company support) more than anything, China is a good ways away

Yes I broke my KM in under 2 days lol I don't blame KM, it happened. Iam sure it happens to HPI as well. I will be honest in my assessment of what happened and why though, not to bash KM but to give people an honest opinion.

I think that replacing the rear shock supports and brace is one of the first things to do. Ihave looked at both designs and Ilike neither KM's nor HPI's, it is a weak spot as most of the weight of the buggy comes to rest on the rear shocks on landings as I found out the hard way. I think it was a bad design to begin with. I will be replacing both the front and rear although I think I will leave the plastic front supports as just add an aluminum shock tower to the front. I can see the shock screws getting bent or broken very fast as they are now so I will add braces that encapsulate the shock mounting points.

All in all I have found some very useful information on this site and out of this thread and I am glad you guys are bashing and racing the KM's so I can learn from your experiences. Keep it up and thank you!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:17 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

I agree, if I were to open up my wallet more, I would buy the HPI SS
Like a few others have said
Old 01-19-2011, 08:02 PM
marlinjames

does anyone know if you can buy the king motor buggy and add some mounts and get the truck body on it? and if not whats the best king motor one they make?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: marlinjames

does anyone know if you can buy the king motor buggy and add some mounts and get the truck body on it? and if not whats the best king motor one they make?
they do make a conversion kit that's about 200bucks
Old 01-19-2011, 08:14 PM
marlinjames

im having a hard time decideing what one i want, is the 950 dollar buggy that much better then the 780 dollar truck? they both have the 29cc motor then i also see a buggy with a 30,5cc motor. how much faster would that 1,5cc be?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:24 PM
m5161968

My question is this if you can purchase this "imposter" for hundreds cheaper even with a high shipping cost, why not take the money in savings and buying upgraded parts as most of us do? Why can't HPI drop a few hundred and add a 2-speed like KM? Just sayin, I'm on the cuff right now on with way to go. But I do enjoy reading everyone's input on this 1/5 scale business. What ever happened to FG?????
Old 01-19-2011, 08:26 PM
m5161968

Marlinjames, my sentiments exactly...don't forget it comes with the 2-speed. Just want to know the shipping cost
Old 01-19-2011, 08:38 PM
marlinjames

hpi is out of the question for me. way to much when i can get the same thing for almost half. lol the site i was looking at shipping was $60. just got to decide what model
Old 01-20-2011, 06:27 AM
magnum500

ORIGINAL: marlinjames

hpi is out of the question for me. way to much when i can get the same thing for almost half. lol the site i was looking at shipping was $60. just got to decide what model

i have the truck version , i love it . but what you need to know is the bodies are a bit on the pricey side . it ok for me because i`m on the original and after one year . i just run mine no real bashing .
Old 01-20-2011, 07:39 AM
marlinjames

so from what i have gathered the buggy and truck are pretty much the same thing internally right? i just seen that one buggy was a grand but the truck was 780 or so. so i was wondering what the big difference is. also i seen one with 30.5cc motor wasnt sure how much more powerful that one would be over the 29cc motors.
also has anyone had any experience with the 4x4 model the T2000 i believe
Old 01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
marlinjames

ive been told to watch out for clones of clones. what are some good websites to order off of?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.