Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Basic Advice for RC Heli Beginners

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Basic Advice for RC Heli Beginners

Old 08-18-2013, 10:07 PM
GBLynden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Basic Advice for RC Heli Beginners

First, take a deep breath. It will get better! The single best piece of advice I can give it to just stick with it. You will be humbled, but it will be worth it.

This was me the first day I got my first heli:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRmLHbHCFbo Now this is the most recent video of me flying the same heli:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1a_Se7gcBY
You can see that the level of skill is up huge and I fly mostly RC planes instead of flying heli's very often. The point of this thread is that at first it can be REALLY hard to make it work right. Just like with riding a bike, it just clicks one day and you are off.

I hope this helps you guys!

GB

Last edited by GBLynden; 09-08-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Jaysea7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice.
I just got into this hobby, totally enjoy it.
I've wrecked my CX2 so many times, that I feel more like a mechanic than a pilot.
Oh well, I suppose that's to be expected, when you get into something new!
Old 09-08-2013, 08:36 PM
GBLynden

Originally Posted by Jaysea7 View Post
Thanks for the advice.
I just got into this hobby, totally enjoy it.
I've wrecked my CX2 so many times, that I feel more like a mechanic than a pilot.
Oh well, I suppose that's to be expected, when you get into something new!
I know that feeling lol
Old 09-09-2013, 11:07 AM
tjk2013

I am new to rc helis and to this forum, so my first question here, what is the best, easy flying heli i can get for under $85/50
thanxs
Old 09-12-2013, 11:35 PM
GBLynden

Originally Posted by tjk2013 View Post
I am new to rc helis and to this forum, so my first question here, what is the best, easy flying heli i can get for under $85/50
thanxs
I would have to say the MCX2 that I show in the videos above. Right now it is selling for dirt cheap as well. Here is another look at it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-MSWU6o1Tc
Old 09-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Solman

Best advice I can give is do not ever get too cocky or over confident. What happens is that you get too comfortable and then a mistake comes along and chops your head off or acquire injuries. Respect what you are flying!!!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:26 PM
GBLynden

Originally Posted by Solman View Post
Best advice I can give is do not ever get too cocky or over confident. What happens is that you get too comfortable and then a mistake comes along and chops your head off or acquire injuries. Respect what you are flying!!!
That is great advice!
Old 10-05-2013, 01:06 AM
nitemayor

Lynden, Ja? Typing away here on the N end burbs; near the airport. I guess rc enthusiasm is understandable in this town--also, plenty of places to fly/crash. I often try out new acquisitions in a space along the Fishtrap, although I found out the hard way that the wind picks up considerably when you get above the rooftops and trees. I hopelessly watched my 333 exceed (not known 4 thrust) fly away on it's own until it fluttered down,down,down...I thought fer sure it was in the drink or at least the blackberries. Turns out, it was happily blinking in the landscaped back yard of a lady's upper-middle class house...I knocked & was allowed to retrieve tho she didn't exactly offer me cookies. Maybe Bender fields next.

[email protected] Jaysea7
I'm also new AND uncoordinated. I'd say learn to slam that throttle down when a crash appears inevitable. It saves turf, rotors, and a little embarrassment.

Last edited by nitemayor; 10-05-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:08 AM
GBLynden

I fly my planes at Bender when I get the chance. The problem is soccer seems to be going on all year during the times I can make it down there to fly. I fly a few other spots that you may be interested in checking out as well.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:51 PM
GBLynden

So I dusted my MCX2 off the other day after not flying it for quite a while and decided to see if flying a heli is like riding a bike, and it seems to be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrK_yP95ldQ I hope this thread is helpful to those new to the hobby that get some cool new "RC toys" for Christmas.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:48 PM
marko12

I think I needed some sort of advice to NOT give up no matter how many times I crash. I have the V911 and just can't get the hang of it yet, I keep crashing and crashing. Crashed so many times I had to get two more v911 heilos and they are so hard to fix. Soldering those tiny wires that I can barely see gives me a headache. Where can I get some more of those tiny wires ?

I got a quad-copter thinking that would be more stable, now one of those rotors won't spin...... Does everyone have this much trouble starting ?
Old 04-06-2014, 10:33 PM
GBLynden

It was ridiculous how much trouble I had when I started. But after a while I got over the hump and got to be decent even though planes are my first love. Do you fly planes?
Old 04-08-2014, 09:53 AM
marko12

Thanks so much for your response. I can't wait to get over the "hump" and be able to actually fly the heilo.

Was going to work up to flying planes, but I want conquer this task first.

Just watched and subscribed to your utube site, wow you are really good at flying. How long have you been doing heilos ? I really want to be able to do this, practice...practice.....practice I guess.

Thanks again !

mark

Last edited by marko12; 04-08-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Hedgewarden

Mark,
I started flying helis after Christmas 2013 - got two rebranded V911s on closeout from Radio Shack. I wanted something to fly when there was not enough wind to play with my quad-line sports kites (Revolution). I guess 4 years experience with the quad-line kites helped me, because after 3 1/2 months now, I can fly my V911s through a beer-case box (bottom cut out) most of the time. I'm now working on doing that while flying toward me.

Interestingly, both the quad kites and the helis have similar learning curves and methods. HOVER, HOVER, HOVER in all orientations. Once you master that, your body will be automatically responding to make the proper correction to hold the hover. It's called "muscle memory", and I like to compare it to the amount of thought you need to give to walking - the actions became automatic when you were a child.

Another similarity is hovering or flying a quad-line kite inverted and flying a heli toward you. Some control actions are reversed. For some time, you will think it is not possible to think of the necessary corrections, and then mentally reverse the correction and then ask your body to apply the reversed correction. You are right - you cannot do it all consciously. But, practice, practice, practice, and the reversed controls also become automatic and natural. I've been there for several years with the kites, but am just starting to make progress with the heli.

Keep at it. The V911 is a great inexpensive heli to learn on and gets more fun as you improve. I promise, one day part will CLICK and you will feel great. Then you can tackle the next capability.

Hover, Hover, Hover - tail-in, sideways, finally tail-out.

Check out http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/ for some great progressive tutorials.

-Howard
Old 04-12-2014, 10:00 PM
marko12

H, thanks for the confidence building, I really needed that. I have wrecked three v911 and have trouble fixing them, but I just ordered one more. I also got a quad and one of the motors quit so I guess the whole thing is unemployed. I learned most from watching utube and crashing into the cat and other obstructions. Sure they are relatively cheap but when I have to keep buying "working" models it does get rather expensive. I don't want to give up and I really want to master this before I go broke.
Do you fix your own? Not many places here to learn or talk with anyone to be able to diagnose what is wrong then fix it. Those tiny wires are very difficult to solder, especially with my hot-dog fingers.

Thanks again for your help and confidence building for me.

Mark
Old 04-14-2014, 02:44 PM
GBLynden

Originally Posted by marko12 View Post
Thanks so much for your response. I can't wait to get over the "hump" and be able to actually fly the heilo.

Was going to work up to flying planes, but I want conquer this task first.

Just watched and subscribed to your utube site, wow you are really good at flying. How long have you been doing heilos ? I really want to be able to do this, practice...practice.....practice I guess.

Thanks again !

mark
Thank you! I really appreciate it Mark

Originally Posted by marko12 View Post
H, thanks for the confidence building, I really needed that. I have wrecked three v911 and have trouble fixing them, but I just ordered one more. I also got a quad and one of the motors quit so I guess the whole thing is unemployed. I learned most from watching utube and crashing into the cat and other obstructions. Sure they are relatively cheap but when I have to keep buying "working" models it does get rather expensive. I don't want to give up and I really want to master this before I go broke.
Do you fix your own? Not many places here to learn or talk with anyone to be able to diagnose what is wrong then fix it. Those tiny wires are very difficult to solder, especially with my hot-dog fingers.

Thanks again for your help and confidence building for me.

Mark
I am glad we could help and let us know if there is anything more we can do to help you out. Something tells me that you are very close to getting over that hump
Old 04-16-2014, 09:46 PM
marko12

Well, I just got another heilo and hopefully this one won't go down in flames....

It's a Nine Eagles Bravo lll which is supposed to be easier to learn to fly. I've taken your advice and I'm presently practicing hovering, hovering and some more hovering. Working out OK nothing spectacular, learning how to set the trim and hover. Needed to get another battery or two and a charger. Progress to be updated.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:10 PM
GBLynden

We can't wait to hear the next report
Old 04-18-2014, 09:05 PM
marko12

Happy Easter/Passover to all, but another miracle appeared in the sky !!!!!

MY HELICOPTER was airborne for over five minutes.....................WoW !!!

The longest and highest and best flight ever for me, what a great feeling. My problem, I think, was setting the trim the correct way since I never fully understood how. It was thrilling as I was in command of my own helicopter soaring above the trees and eventually ending up in the top of one..... It will come down tomorrow or the tree will.

My biggest thanks to GBLynden for giving me great advice and confidence not to quit and saying that one day it will all come together as it did. Thanks again, GBLynden !

Not say thanks to Hedgewarden also would be remiss, so thanks Hedgewarden, you guys are GREAT !

Man, that was fun, fun & FUN

Last edited by marko12; 04-18-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:02 PM
GBLynden

I am so happy that we were able to help you have success! Keep at it and just watch what happens from here
Old 04-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Another newcomer to helis

Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post

I am so happy that we were able to help you have success! Keep at it and just watch what happens from here
Hello GBLynden,

I have read a few times this thread that you initiated.
I have tried to find a thread to discuss various subjects about helicopters but have not been successful to find people willing to have discussions.

I initiated a thread titled "BLADE Nano CP X and had nearly no response but for two fellows.
I have concluded by now that people interested in helicopters are mainly interested in flying them.
I also concluded that helicopter threads have low activity (low level of responses).

You may have seen the thread I initiated.

Is there anyone reading this thread that are interested in discussons of varous aspects related to helicopters ?

Best regards from Zor

Last edited by Zor; 04-21-2014 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Changed intersted to interested
Old 04-23-2014, 06:21 PM
GBLynden

Hi Zor,

That is a very specific (advanced) helicopter that was around for a short period of time before getting discontinued. Have you had problems with yours?

For the record, that is above my skill level. I just like easy to fly heli's.

GB
Old 04-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Some quick history

Hi Zor,

That is a very specific (advanced) helicopter that was around for a short period of time before getting discontinued. Have you had problems with yours?

For the record, that is above my skill level. I just like easy to fly heli's.

GB
Hi GBLynden . . . and thanks for coming back to me.

FYI . . . I have been in RC airplane since the late 1950s but was never interested in helis.
Recently a friend gave me a BLADE Nano CP X and I got curious about this small heli. I do not have a MCX2.

Not realizing the small activity in this forum about helis I initiated a thread in "flybarless helicopters" titled "BLADE Nano CP X" hoping to have discussions while I learned about heli's construction, behavior and any subject related to helis.

I quickly realized the little activity even though I have made many postings in that thread.
You might take a few minutes and have a look at that thread.

A couple of weeks ago I was at the LHS and queried from my friend the owner of the LHS about helis and he gave me a good deal on a BLADE 300X and I took it home. I am now playing investigating that 300X.

Some day I will learn to fly it. Studying its construction I went back to the LHS and bought many spare parts. I am sure I will need them . . . .

By now I have spent quite a bit of time acquiring some knowledge about helis and I feel I have done some good progress.

Again thanks for reading me.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 04-24-2014 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Corrected weks to weeks
Old 04-28-2014, 03:26 PM
GBLynden

I would say that the best thing to do at this point is to just to try to fly it. Just be sure to use expo and D/R's as specified in the owner's manual.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Looking for this information

I would say that the best thing to do at this point is to just to try to fly it. Just be sure to use expo and D/R's as specified in the owner's manual.
Hi GBL

I read the manual many times.
Some of the things in there I do not satisfactorily understand.

I am going back to search specifically for recommendations as you mentioned.
A few days ago the heading hold was operating normally.
Since yesterday it is not anymore. The heading wants to change constantly.
I do not know that I did anything to change that behavior.

I am looking for making it normal again but do not know how to do it .
Never a dull moment. Something has changed ... I do not know what ... or where to start looking.

I certainly cannot try to fly it when the heading has a strong force of yaw rotation.
It looks like the heading gyro is doing the opposite of what it used to do.

I will be looking and checking if the tail servo has been changed (normal or reverse) and other stuff. Got to do some figurations.

Thanks for your recommendation.

Zor

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.