Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Difference between elevator and collective????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Difference between elevator and collective????

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 02:27 PM
polyhedron_12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between elevator and collective????

What is the difference between the elevator and collective pitch????

I'm playing with my main rotor and cant figure it out. It's disassembled.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:57 PM
polstery

Default RE: Difference between elevator and collective????

Elevator tilts the swash plate foreword and back and collective moves it up and down. Which in turn mean collective pitches both blade at the same rate and elevator pitches the blades different at different times. Its hard to explain here with out some pictures. I'm sure you can find something on the internet that explains it better.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:05 PM
polyhedron_12

I figured it out.... elevator makes you go fore and aft, collective (i knew) makes you go up.

Now I have another question.

How do I hook the receiver to the servos, batteries, etc. I just want to test them.

I don't see a place to put power to the receiver. Also, my switch has two leads

See picture for better explanation.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16876.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	91473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96326.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	91474  
Old 01-17-2004, 03:34 PM
wisdom-seeker

You can plug the battery into any channel. Note that channel 9 is marked 9/B meaning that it is the preferred place to plug in the battery. However, the pins connected to the red and black leads are just solid wires inside the receiver. Wires don't care which way the current flows.

By the way, doesn't your radio have a manual? If not, you can always download a copy.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:47 PM
polyhedron_12

Thanks wisdom...

My manual does not have anything about where to plug the connectors into. It doesn't even have any info on which channels are used for aileron left-right, fore, aft, or collective.

I have the actual manual and tried looking for it myself and couldnt find it, so I downloaded a pdf version and then searched for r149 and saw nothing.

If anybody knows which page the Rx is gone over in the 9chp manual, I would love to know....

Thanks
Old 01-18-2004, 04:08 AM
Mikey G

The second lead on your switch is used to charge your RX battery without having to remove it
Old 01-18-2004, 06:58 AM
polstery

Time to find local help.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:16 AM
davemartin88

Not a lot of detail in the manual but on page 14 of my manual, there is a chart showing the receiver channels and their typical use on the helicopter. I have the R149 as well, if you plug your 5 servos (assuming a gyro) in to the first 5 channels of the rx as outlined in this chart, they should be in the right place, lots of other stuff to do after that. I'm a newbie myself and found the manual a bit lacking in the basics.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:35 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Generally with modern R/C systems:

Channel 1 is primary turning which on a heli would be the right-left cyclic (ailerons on fixed wing)
Channel 2 is primary pitch This is the fore-aft cyclic (elevator)
Channel 3 is throttle
Channel 4 is secondary turning ... tailrotor (rudder)

from here it varies by radio sometimes varying within a brand of radios... Some use channel 5 for collective pitch others use channel 6.

The throttle and collective pitch channels can be swapped in some setups. (and as long as you program the mix appropriately... it doesn't matter really.)

Generally, the unused of 5/6 is programmed to act as a trim to the collective pitch/throttle curve.

Its helpful to program in a bit of exponential on the cyclic controls to make the stick "soft" in the center. not much... just to take a little of the wiggle out when your hand shakes. (some call it positive exponential, others call it negative exponential... truth is.. a mathemetician will call it negative.)

Then you get into the programming of the throttle hold function, the idle-up function, the acrobatic throttle curve... (which increases throttle when you go into negative collective pitch so you can fly inverted...) Most of the details on these settings you can ignore till you learn to fly... but make sure the throttle hold and idle-up BOTH are set to keep the engine running. (also make sure the idle up doesn't rev up to high... the thing should stick on the ground when in idle-up.)

Now... before lifting off the first time... get an instructor. If you goof badly you can kill yourself with one of these things.