Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

401 clarification

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 09:55 PM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 401 clarification

it says in the directions under direction check.
" if the rudder servo moves to the left when the nose of the heli moves to the right then the gyro direction is correct.

I have a boom mounted sideways servo and the linkage is on top of the radius. when I give left rudder the arm pushes towards the tail. looking at the servo from across the heli and at the arm infront of the servo ( head on) the arm moves counter clockwisewith the linkage at the top. I think this is what they mean when they say "if the servo moves left"
am I right?
and to confirm then this setup, should be in normal mode NOT in reverse?
today I broke in the enigne and let it rpm a little on the ground with out lifting it up.

will this gyro work indoors?

thanks
Paul
Old 02-08-2004, 12:43 AM
ChopperMike

Default RE: 401 clarification

If the rudder pushrod moves towards the tail when you give a left rudder command, and you're sure this is correct, then to check the gyro rotate the heli to the right. The gyro should give the same signal to the servo, moving the pudhrod back towards the tail. If it doesn't, it's backwards, reverse the gyro.

Regards,

Mike
Old 02-08-2004, 06:13 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To check rudder/gyro directions.

Push the rudder stick to the right and look at the trailing edge (rear edge) of the tail rotor blades. They should go to the right also (to push the tail left). Look at the direction the servo has moved.

Put the gyro in rate mode and turn the heli anti clockwise (as viewed from above) the servo should move in the same direction as before.

By the way, the gyro should work indoors but reading your post suggests you are fairly new and have a glow helicopter. If you use this indoors you are asking for trouble. This is EXTREMELY dangerous, even for experienced heli pilots!

Good Luck!
Old 02-08-2004, 06:52 AM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

one more question.
does it matter if the gyro is mounted under the canopy or on the back of the heli?

siclick33 you're right about playing with it indoors. I broke the engine in yesterday and allowed the engine to rev a little. when I did this it started to do almost unstoppable pilouetts on the ground.(training gear on) the gyro was working backwards.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:42 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gyro can be mounted in either position. Under the canopy is good as it protects the gyro against dirt and oil ingress. If you move the gyro ALWAYS re-check the reverse. Moving the gyro from in front of the main mast to behind it or vice versa will affect the gyro direction.