Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

setting pitch

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 09:57 AM
jason515
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setting pitch

i just upgraded my venture 30 to a 50, and now i need to redo the pitch settings.

question is where to start. right now i have -3 at the bottom, +6 at mid-stick, and over +15 at the top. so do i set the bottom, and then adjust the pitch curve to get the others where i want them. or should i set the mid-stick, and adjust the pitch curve to move the other settings.

JR Venture 50
OS 50
JR 6102
GY401

Thank You,
Jason
Old 05-22-2004, 07:59 PM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: setting pitch

+15 on top is an aweful lot, I have doubts about your engine holding a constant headspeed at +15? If it can, what fuel you runnin'!

All kidding aside, I always start at center stick and work from there. Are you gonna continue to run +6 (hovering pitch) at center stick? What are you doing about your idle-up curves? I like the 0 degrees at center for all conditions method.

Either way, set your pitch curve back to the factory numbers (0,25,50,75,100). Now center the collective (throttle) stick and make all the servo arm/linkages 90 degrees. You've already had the heli setup, so you might not need to redo that unless you're gonna change to 0 deg at center stick. Next, fix your pitch gauge to a blade and adjust the pitch links to get the pitch you want at center. Now you can use your transmitter pitch curve to dial in the pitch you want at low stick and high stick. Next, fill in the remaining steps to make a linear curve.

For some reference, here's what I generally use for pitch settings in the various flight conditions:

Normal:

-3, -1.5, 0, +5.5, +11

Idle-up 1:

-11, -5.5, 0, +5.5, +11

Idle-up 2:

same as idle-up 1

Throttle Hold:

-4, -2, 0, 6, 12 (or a little more depending on the model)

These settings will have you hovering about 3/4 stick (depending on headspeed, blade length, etc.) and you will be able to switch between modes anywhere above half stick w/o jumping (if your headspeed settings are the same for each mode).

Hope some of this is useful.

Ben
Old 05-23-2004, 01:27 AM
RotorNut

Sounds like you got some linkage problems to me. If you converted to the 3d setup your swashplate to seesaw arm needs to be adjusted. When your links are set up right with your pitch curve mid point set to 50% and your stick at half (to obtain center of the servo travel) you should be at 0 deg pitch. When you have this set you will be able to get 23 deg total travel with no binding. -10 on bottom and + 13 on top. After you get your links set up then go into the radio and set up your pitch curve. The pitch suggestions that bdphil made are a real good place to start. Best thing to do is check all your links from the servos up. My guess could be wrong but sounds like you've got something out of adjustment. By the way after you get it setup you might have a little more or a little less pitch than what I've mentioned depending a lot on your servo travel. Just a tip I've picked up,,never use the radio to try and fix a mechanical problem.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:34 AM
jason515

thank you for your advice. i will go through all of my links again to make sure that they are set up correctly. i agree with the excessive + pitch. i thought that was a bit much. the problem i am also running into is, the JR6102 only has two flight modes (normal, and stunt). so i guess i will have to setup my hover/normal flight in normal mode, and my more adventureous settings in the stunt mode. will this work? thanks again for all of the help.

jason
Old 05-23-2004, 08:48 AM
bdphil

Yeah, the 2 flight modes are "normal" and "stunt". Normal is what you'll use for takeoffs, landings and most hovering. Stunt mode is for forward flight, aerobatics. That radio should also have a pitch curve for throttle hold.

I helped a guy setup his curves with a 6102 a while back and can't remember, but does that radio have 5 point curves for pitch/throttle or just low-stick, mid-stick and high-stick?

Ben
Old 05-23-2004, 11:14 AM
jason515

it has 5 point curves. for the stunt mode, should i go with the v-curve setup? i'm in japan, so help is kind of hard to come by. i had it flying before the conversion, but after, i just can't seem to get things right. so far i am making progress. i plan on having it ready to go for next weekend.

jason
Old 05-23-2004, 01:05 PM
Prophex

How is it there in Japan ?, where exactly in Japan are you ?, ...
(sry for my questions, but I always wanted to go there)
Old 05-23-2004, 05:09 PM
bdphil

jason515,

V-curve setup? I hope you're talking about the throttle curve and not the pitch curve. If you have a V-curve for pitch, you'll end up with positive pitch at high stick, 0 pitch at center and positive pitch at low stick. You don't want to go inverted with that!

Let's start with normal mode and get to stunts later. I assume that your conversion included a different engine, exhaust, tail boom and blades? If so, you've got alot more power and longer blades to help "soak" up that power. You've added some weight, but not much. You should still be hovering at about the same pitch, and still be running about the same headspeed.

Start here:

Set your throttle AND pitch curves to the factory numbers in the normal flight mode. Now center the collective (throttle) stick and you'll be at 50% on both curves. Now adjust your linkages to get the main blades at 0 degrees and the carb. barrel half open (with the throttle linkage at 90 degrees to the throttle arm on the carb and 90 degrees to the servo arm). You also need to make sure the distance from the center of the carb. barrel to the ball link and the center of the servo output shaft to the ball link are equal.

Now you can move the stick to full up. Read the pitch gauge and adjust the pitch curve high position until the pitch reading is about +9. If the curve is set to 100% and you still are less than +9, check to see that the pitch servo ATV is 100% and that you have the ball link on the pitch servo at the correct distance from the center of the output shaft (further out=more throw).

Now go to full low stick. Read the pitch gauge and adjust the pitch curve low position until the gauge shows about -3 degrees.

Fill in the 1/4 and 3/4 stick positions in the pitch curve to get a linear curve. Example: if mid stick is 50% and high stick is 100%, 3/4 stick should be 75% or half way between.

Now for the throttle curve:

You've already got the linkage set properly, so we can start getting some values in the curve. Go to full up on the stick and you should be at 100% in the curve. Confirm that the carb. barrel is open all the way. Go to full down on the stick and confirm that the carb. barrel is closed. Adjust the servo ATV, or servo arm length accordingly to get full travel of the carb. barrel.

Now, at center stick you know that you have 0 pitch in the main blades which puts very little load on the engine. You're not gonna need to be at 50% throttle at center stick so set the throttle curve center stick position to about 30%. Move the stick to full low and adjust the throttle curve low stick position to a number that just has the carb. open a tiny bit (we're looking for a good idle here, but not enough to engage the clutch). Now, we can set the throttle curve high stick position to 100% for now, but you may need to lower that value after some flight testing. Fill in the 1/4 stick curve value for half-way between low and mid. Fill in the 3/4 stick curve value for half-way between mid and high.

Now you're normal mode is set for preliminary testing. You've got a pitch range of -3 to +9 and you'll be hovering at about 3/4 stick.

Try to get to this point and we'll try and fine-tune it later.

Ben
Old 05-23-2004, 07:25 PM
jason515

I'll stick with the normal mode for now. tonight i'll set everything up, and let you know how i'm progressing. as for the conversion, i replaced the rotor head (plastic to aluminum), blades (550 to 600mm), longer tail boom, double boom supports vice single. i replaced the engine (TT 36 with and OS50). new motor mount (aluminum). all i am missing now is the autorotation bearing. so i should have plenty of power. i almost had hovering down, but the old engine kept quitting on me, so instead of doing a .30 replacement, i thought i would go with more power, so when i start to get creative, it's there.
with only two flight modes plus throttle hold, will this work, or should i look into getting a different radio when i advance with my skills. thank you for all of your help.

Jason

I live about an hour north of tokyo. Japan is great, but we only get to fly on the weekends. i do sneek a few flights in during the week when work allows.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:34 PM
bdphil

It'll be a while before you need to consider new radio gear. Switching equipment now will just get confusing. Practise the basics and have fun!

Ben
Old 05-26-2004, 09:04 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

hey bdphil, awesome help there! I Read it all and plan to use it on both my heli's to get them set up better!
Old 05-26-2004, 10:50 PM
bdphil

caseyddr,

You're welcome! The steps I described will get you started, but there's alot of adjustment that needs to be made after flight testing. The good thing is that once you've got it mechanically setup (linkages, etc.) the rest is just adjusting the values in the transmitter. I just fly a little, land, move some numbers around, fly, land, so on, and so on.

Good luck!

Ben
Old 05-27-2004, 12:56 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Only thing I'm trying to figure otu at the moment is Idle Hold so I can go into 3d at a later date, but at the stage I am at now, its better I dont have it! I'd do something stupid and actually go into a inverted hover to show off, then wreck on accident or something But the 6102 has been good to me so far!