Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Banana Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:53 PM
GreenMutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Banana Hobby

Holly crap for service Batman. Thanks for making me feel better about my dealings with BH, Johnny83VA. At least I got my crappy parts in to play with and dream about it working! [X(]

hope you get some satisfaction from them, I have already ordered the parts I need from Tower Hobbies. Shazam, everything came in and works. Since my dealings with BH, I had some great suggestions from this forum and have found the two companies that I plan to continue to work with, Tower and KA-Planes.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:30 AM
sanman55

greenmutt.. bphobbies.com is a good place too.. We ought to get a list up of manafuctures that have given good customer service.
I have a local dealer I order from, graysonhobby and have ordered at 12pm friday and have it in the mail on sat., the next day.
I think Pete tries but with their hit or miss airplanes working and their false adds. I will not order from them.
I have had good sucess from nitroplanes,, they sell the same cheap edf and other planes, but so far the 2 I ordered all work and came with all their parts..
Old 01-15-2009, 02:09 AM
cheekss75
My Feedback: (1)

hi everyone. i still can't make my mind up about bananahobby. i really like the tornado heli they have for sell but after reading every comment on this thread i don't know if i should chance it or not. one major concern i have if anyone can answer or if maybe pete could answer for me is that the tornado is a bananahobby specific heli and what if they quit selling it or went out of business will any other parts be compatible with it and also i didn't see any upgrades or hop ups for it. will any 450 size heli fit or how does that stuff work for upgrades for it. any info would be great.

thanks
Jason
Old 01-15-2009, 11:04 AM
sanman55

Buyer beware is an old statement that holds true today
Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 AM
cam_pty

[:@]
These guys dont answer the email??
My credit card have been debited from Pay Pal, and the traking status still "Manifest Pickup" from 9th. I "buy" a Bee King 2
I sent severals emails asking "what wrong??" "You debited my credit card, but the status is the same?" and those guys dont answer...(either the phone)
Any Advise????

It is my fault, I read all the negative post from bannana after my order... any advise...
Carlos
Old 01-17-2009, 07:48 AM
sanman55

contact paypal and stop the transaction.....
Old 01-17-2009, 09:48 AM
cam_pty

I guess it too late, the transaction have been made.. and my credit card was debited..
I feel like another victim from banana...
Old 01-17-2009, 03:46 PM
SHANMC33

hi I am a beginner about to buy my first plane.I have been looking through alot of websites looking for the right plane.I was wondering if anyone out there with online purchasing experience could give their opinion about hobby lobby?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:04 AM
jhawk22

Id say basically you can get the same brand planes for cheaper in other stores.. Im not soliciting another store but hobbylobby is a little on the high side for me, (unemployed), but theres people who can pay that amount of money and not think twice of course.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:13 AM
jhawk22

Ok I take that back, I've bought a few planes from www.hobbycity.com there in Japan so the shipping is a little high but its usually well worth it. For a beginner and an intermediate pilot I would recommend their Cessna182 in their rtf section. Only bad news is all these planes are like plug n play or something like it because you need the transmitter and receiver. This particular plane also requires a charger but I'm telling you it is well worth it because not only is it a really good plane but it is brushless, so when you feel you have control with a sim and with the plane you can take it up to speed and do some pretty cool stuff with it. Even if you buy it somewhere else this is the best plane for a beginner because you won't just get bored with it and use it as 'just your trainer'. If you do shop from them you should consult this thread because like other online stores they don't exactly sell only gold.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:54 AM
sanman55

Personnally I like hobby lobby.. They are higher in price but for a beginner you can call them and tell them your skill level and they can help get the plane that is right for you. For a beginner this is critical. If you buy from banana or nitroplanes you get no advice or help. Those places for me are for the advanced piolot that knows what he wants and does not need any advice ... like how to fly or elevon mixing or how to trim the airplane or the value of correct cg.
I have noticed that hobbylobby does sell some junk planes, but talk to them.. I have returned stuff with no problems. Their shipping is fast too.
I think the first time pilot would benfit from this approach. Sure you might spend more but thats better than getting a plane with no support at all and crash it on your first flight.
Now I am not saying that you will fly like an expert but you can get the support and advice that is so important on your first time out.
So my 2 cents is call them and talk .. I think you will be happy.
I get so tired of new pilots finding these cheap planes with a great vidio of it flying and saying oh wow I can do that. A lot of times they have no experience or idea of flight controls. I read one thread where a guy crashed and discovered that the receiver wire was wrapped up and not extended. He was all upset that this was not in the instructions. I guess he never heard of doing a range ck. on all new setups. But thats what I mean.. You learn this on day one.
Anyway good luck and call them or towerhobbies or some else that you can talk too and offers support.......
Old 01-18-2009, 11:34 AM
dude7422

hello all how about these sites
http://www.snhobbies.com/
http://www.hobbypeople.net/categories/allrc.asp
http://www.readyheli.com/
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp <<<<the last one i have ordered
from and it took from 12-24-08 till 1-9-09 slow from china hong kong price was untouchable
from all others so a had to wait no big deal 3 feet of snow any way lol
2700kv bl motor outrunner
40amp blesc
program card
and lipoly battery monitor 46.99 total
Old 01-18-2009, 04:14 PM
SHANMC33

Im proud i found yall,I was about to spend a heap! at banana .Now i think hobbylobby & hobbyzone are my best bet. (what cha think?)
Old 01-18-2009, 08:32 PM
sanman55

Yep, if you need or want support by phone . a real live person..wow what a concept
Old 01-18-2009, 08:51 PM
acbleser

Buyer Beware of Banana Hobby.

I started following this forum in mid-December when I was looking for RC Airplanes for my 7 year old. Despite the various warning about Banana Hobby the new manager was posting here and I decided to give them a try. Wrong decision. It has been a month since I placed my order and despite being charged, I have not received anything. I contacted them to find out what was going on and they called me 2 days later promising me that I would have them by January 9th. I still have not received either the planes or anything from them explaining the delay. I have tried to resolve this with them however they are not. I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and PayPal. Despite appearances that they are changing their incredibly poor business practices, no changes have been made.

Beware! These planes were supposed to be part of my 7 year old son's Christmas presents. He is so disappointed and everything UPS comes his hopes go up only to be dashed.

Amy

PS - Thanks to everyone who has shared their knowledge and experience - it was very helpful when I chose the planes, I only wish I had listened about the business practices of Banana Hobby.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:49 AM
sanman55

If enough people get the message maybe they will listen, One worker can't change a companys mindset. Dont buy from banana.
Look, any time you see all the claims about how easy a plane is to fly its bull. Oh its easy for an experience pilot..
People amaze me, I just saw a question about a guy asking which way the tail,elevator, should go when he pulls back on the stick.....wow...
Can't wait to see that flight...
I have said it again and again........find a local club and join up.. if no one is available get a 2 channel plane to learn to fly.. It can be done..I tought myself, but i had a LOT of craches and out of control flights...
STOP wasteing your money on planes you can't fly...
Oh well life goes on........
Old 01-19-2009, 08:29 AM
j301
My Feedback: (12)

I agree with sanman, if you cant get to a club/instructor you can teach yourself, but I would also suggest getting a computer sim. Not the same as flying, but you will at least get the feel of the controls in you hands and have some practice at what the plane looks like going away from you and how its "backwards" when coming at you. Its much cheaper to hit reset then to buy another plane. Then like he says, get a good trainer, not a "jet easy enough for a beginner". That's just not reality.

As far as Banana, has anyone actually heard from Pete in a while? Like I said earlier, I think this forum is not subtend for a sole means of customer service as there is no real accountability here. Its a great tool for what its intended for, but for a buyer to trust they wont get ignored like I, and most Banana customers I'm guessing, have found. I think Pete had good intentions, but I also don't believe he was not allowed by Banana to really fix the problems. I will not buy from them again, and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone, and its hard to say it nicely!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:12 AM
sanman55

AMEN.......... I have gotten 3 planes from nitroplanes with no problems.. You still take a chance cause you can't get them either.
Just a word about shipping.. You have to be aware of where you are and they are. I live in Georgia and from california it will take 6-10 days and add 3 for getting it ready. It should never take over 2 weeks...
If you are getting in the hobby try local or places you can call. Flying planes ain't cheap..if you are serious. With electrics you need a good charger, power supply and those lipo's..Then the planes .,I have 8 that I fly.. Yep you can buy a cheap radio and charger ect. But it is only good for that plane and look what you wasted.
You can get a nice trainer electric for around $200.. then if you think you like it go and get some good equipment. I have a futaba 9c radio that I have had for 6 years....It can hold 14 planes...
I like the sims too.. its fun on a rainy day and it teaches you a lot and it will really help..
For the new pilots you don't need these guys. You need to understand flight and have good support so you wont get dissapointed when you crash, not if you crash, when you crash........
Forget these places... at best they are for experienced pilots who only need to know things like, where is the cg, how does it handle in the air. How does it handle the wind and how it glides to landing........I see guys buy a beautiful foam plane and want to add 3 oz. of paint or glass it.. Lite is right... esp. when you get into edfs, you can't just change the prop.
I enjoy these sites but lately I have seen too many new guys who just think they can buy and fly. Some can, but they are the few, and I mean the few...This is a GREAT hobby and I meet so many nice people with common interests, its a social club..\Start it out right and you will enjoy it for years.. I am retired and this is my hobby and my social club..
Have fun and don't take it so serious,, and finally if you can't pay just don't play...I like computer bridge too and it cost nothing...
Old 01-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Will Munny

Hello everyone I'm an FNG to anything RC. I recently bought a Walkera 5#10 its my first rc-anything and I'm drooling all over it.

On a side note my first attempt to purchase an RC heli was from none other than Banahobby, What a friggin JOKE they are [img][/img] !! I place my order same Walkera 5#10 some spare parts and I opted for the 2 or 3 day shipping cant remember at the moment (over $40.00 worth of shipping) The next day I get an Email stating my order was "shipped" so off I go to the UPS tracking system low and be hold the ONLY THING THATS HAPPEND is Banahobby sent them an email and in turn UPS made up a label to stick on the box once they were in possession of it, That was the first irritating moment, The next day I go to UPS tracking SAME THING they still did not have possession of the package, This went on for 8 days I called I emailed I tried there "on line customer support, NOTHING I COULDNT GET AHOLD OF ANYONE!!! Not once did they answer my emails till I sent my lst one.

"Put MY HARD EARNED MONEY BACK INTO MY ACCOUNT EMEDATLY BY DAYS END (TODAY) and I'll consider NOT contacting the US Postal Service MAIL FRAUD DEVISION!! I'm sure they would love to hear how you choose to do business and I'm Positive they'd love to read the BOLD LIE you spewed (IN WRITING) pertaining to my order being "SHIPPED" WHEN INFACT IT NEVER SHIPPED UPS NEVER SAW IT!!! IM GOING TO GET $200.00 WORTH OUT OF YOU ONE WAY OR ANOTHER,,, THE CHOICES YOU MAKE NOW WILL DICTATE HOW I GET IT!! SEE YA SOON, REAL SOON!!"

Ten minutes later I received an email from Banahobby (the only one I ever got) with big slimy apology and the money they STOLD FROM ME was back in my account 5minites after that.

STAY AWAY FROM BANAHOBBY THERE SHYSTERS,,,,,,, It wasn't a very nice welcome to the RC world,

First question how long do I charge the battery in my Walkera??? The directions are well WHAT DIRECTIONS?? I got a two page pamphlet about how the controls work that's it. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECATED. Thank you..
Old 01-20-2009, 03:21 AM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: sanman55

AMEN.......... I have gotten 3 planes from nitroplanes with no problems.. You still take a chance cause you can't get them either.
Just a word about shipping.. You have to be aware of where you are and they are. I live in Georgia and from california it will take 6-10 days and add 3 for getting it ready. It should never take over 2 weeks...
If you are getting in the hobby try local or places you can call. Flying planes ain't cheap..if you are serious. With electrics you need a good charger, power supply and those lipo's..Then the planes .,I have 8 that I fly.. Yep you can buy a cheap radio and charger ect. But it is only good for that plane and look what you wasted.
You can get a nice trainer electric for around $200.. then if you think you like it go and get some good equipment. I have a futaba 9c radio that I have had for 6 years....It can hold 14 planes...
I like the sims too.. its fun on a rainy day and it teaches you a lot and it will really help..
For the new pilots you don't need these guys. You need to understand flight and have good support so you wont get dissapointed when you crash, not if you crash, when you crash........
Forget these places... at best they are for experienced pilots who only need to know things like, where is the cg, how does it handle in the air. How does it handle the wind and how it glides to landing........I see guys buy a beautiful foam plane and want to add 3 oz. of paint or glass it.. Lite is right... esp. when you get into edfs, you can't just change the prop.
I enjoy these sites but lately I have seen too many new guys who just think they can buy and fly. Some can, but they are the few, and I mean the few...This is a GREAT hobby and I meet so many nice people with common interests, its a social club..\Start it out right and you will enjoy it for years.. I am retired and this is my hobby and my social club..
Have fun and don't take it so serious,, and finally if you can't pay just don't play...I like computer bridge too and it cost nothing...
The Chinese also go on holiday during the end of the year that last until about the first week in Jan. So that may explain some of the delay. I have found the amount you saved on the products plus the shipping cost is really not worth it...Buy from a shop in the good ol USA and save in the long run. The far east way of doing business is not the same as we do in the states or even Hong Kong. Simple as that. I do hope that everyone gets the snaffuuus straigthen out.

Jim
Old 01-20-2009, 07:25 AM
sanman55

{{First question how long do I charge the battery in my Walkera??? The directions are well WHAT DIRECTIONS?? I got a two page pamphlet about how the controls work that's it. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECATED. Thank you.. }}
What type batteries are they?????nimh, lipo's
Did you get a charger with it? There should be something in the instructions and if not call the people you got it from at tech support
If you did it might have a lite that goes out when its charged or not. If you tell us battery type and voltage and mah I can give you an answer........
Old 01-21-2009, 01:07 PM
rotorbreaker

I agree with DOO. Buy stuff from our side of the country and help boost the economy not kill it. We're all gonna suffer if we do not patronize our local market.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:55 AM
jerrymac
My Feedback: (2)

Gee, I wonder what ever happened to Pete. It would seem he is no longer the dancing banana that he wanted to be.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:51 AM
sanman55

Now thats funny...........
Old 01-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Lithonion

I have had issues with alot of places.

The one I remember the most.... I had a plane from Hobby Lobby the ESC would overheat if you flew full throttle. After contacting customer support and them handing me over to the "TECH GUY" I was told, "Don't Fly at Full Throttle." And to them, this issue was over. This is not a fix. Another plane I got from them, I set it up excaclty like they recommended, purchased everything from them. The motor burnt up due to over voltage. I contacted the company first that made the motor. They asked me why I ran it on 3s, not rated for 3s only 2s. So I contacedHL telling them this via e-mail, and phone. They would say they would look into it and get back to me. Never did. I finally after 3 months emailed them again ticked saying it is not my fault but fault to them for this set up not working. They never responded, I stopped buying from them. That has been my worse as far as issues. I will never forget, "Don't Fly At Full Throttle" [sm=72_72.gif]

I do order from Hong Kong, just not planes, most of them dont get here in full formation...if ya know what I mean...lol I have ordered two planes from HC...both looked like they got kicked from the warehouse to the ocean...floated over, then kicked to my door. Other then that, they credited me and I still order alot from them.

I have had issues with Nitroplane, BP hobbies, Tower, Helidirect, and it goes on and on.

You guys might get a kick out of this one. I had a plane from Nitroplanes with no instructions. It had the face sheet, staples but the rest was gone. So I e-mailed them asking what the CG of this model was. They repsponded quickly with, "If you could send a picture of the missing part or broken part we would gladly replace it." so yes they wanted to help me. So I sent another e-mail going into detail about Center of Gravity ect, ect. That CG is not a part, its the place at which to balance the airplane. Again, very fast responce with, "We understand, sorry for any problems this may have caused, but we still dont know what piece or part your missing." This went on for awhile, I already had figured it out on a CG calc cause the plane was built by then, I was just trying to help educate them for future issues.

The only two places I can say never have done me wrong, Polk's Hobby, and EJF.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.