Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Loops

Old 12-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loops

Okay, got my stinger out again today. Really enjoying this bird. I am really starting to get into loops but i seem to be getting "stuck" on the top. I am getting more inverted hovering practice than basic aerobatics. LOL. Is there a trick to these loops. I don't have a sim (mac) so i can't practice on the computer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11169.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	822146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32411.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	822147  
Old 12-10-2007, 02:20 AM
calvino

Default RE: Loops

ORIGINAL: Cambo

Okay, got my stinger out again today. Really enjoying this bird. I am really starting to get into loops but i seem to be getting "stuck" on the top. I am getting more inverted hovering practice than basic aerobatics. LOL. Is there a trick to these loops. I don't have a sim (mac) so i can't practice on the computer.
are you remembering negative pitch at the top of the loop, if not, then that is what maybe causing it, there is one vid on you tube in which a guy goes into a loop but has it on postitve pitch and his heli just SLAMS into the ground, not good[&o], that is a bummer you can't pratice on a sim, well, best of luck[8D]
Old 12-10-2007, 03:36 AM
archiebald

As you climb further into the loop, ease off collective gradually until the are slightly negative at the top. If you ease off too early, you will be getting to negative pitch before you get to the top and this will start the heli slowing down then flying backwards.

Also, keep your pitch (elevator) stick pulled back all the way through.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:05 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 263 Likes on 209 Posts

Some people think they need -4 or 5 at the top, as you say, an inverted hover. With a constant speed loop you really only need 0 or -1 degrees.

Calvino, that wasn't a loop it was a figure 9
Old 12-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

... I am really starting to get into loops but i seem to be getting "stuck" on the top....
Please explain how are you getting "stuck" at the top. That is the point where I fell out of the most when getting into loops.

Maybe you are anticipating a command and thereby slowing down the heli too much, as mentioned before.

Rafael
Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

I think i am doing what barracudahockey is saying. I get nervous on the top and add in a little to much collective. As a result of me adding in so much negative the heli literally stops on the top of the loop. I will have to discipline myself to add in less negative pitch. I have also found the momentum for loops is key with helis unlike airplanes.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:11 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Some people think they need -4 or 5 at the top, as you say, an inverted hover. With a constant speed loop you really only need 0 or -1 degrees.

Calvino, that wasn't a loop it was a figure 9
whoooooopsie, my bad, I thought he said it was a loop.......
Old 12-10-2007, 11:17 PM
soop7667

Don't forget the forward speed. I also find that the more I do loops, I typically don't have any negative pitch anymore for the high speed loops. I'm at 0, if not +1 - +2 Degrees, most of the time in loops. You can use your cyclic to control the height of the loop. Really high round loops, pull back slowly on the cyclic while maintaining positive pitch, slowly ease off the pitch as you get around the inverted point, and before you get back vertical start putting the positive back in. That's how I do em most of the time.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.... I have also found the momentum for loops is key with helis unlike airplanes.
Well, that is the fundamental difference between helis and airplanes, airplanes are getting pulled (pushed) by their engines all the time, helis are being sustained airborne by the rotors and not being pulled thru the air.

Rafael
Old 12-11-2007, 08:32 PM
rcjon

I've been doing loops in Normal mode. If you pull too much cyclic, the loop becomes something else - a lip?