RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Humor (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-humor-177/)
-   -   hit a bird with plane. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-humor-177/5014520-hit-bird-plane.html)

TRINITY_09 11-19-2006 12:02 PM

hit a bird with plane.

Ok about a year ago when i was flying alot. i decided to take my 40. biplane to the airfield and fly it. so i did. i was flying and suddenly my friend was like dude look at all those birds. "hit one" me "ok". so i go to were they are and i nicked one with my prop, and all you seen was a bunch of feathers. the bird lived. (i think).

alex k 11-19-2006 12:23 PM

RE: hit a bird with plane.

My uncle always had chickenhawks goin after his rc planes, and he eventually hit one.

Bass1 11-19-2006 11:48 PM

[sm=confused.gif]:eek:

ry5no2 11-20-2006 04:37 PM

quality

carmatic1 11-20-2006 05:31 PM

on purpose???? i was expecting something like this to be an accident....

alex k 11-20-2006 06:24 PM

No, not on purpose. They were trying to defend their territory I guess and so they went nuts. Ive seen them go after his planes but I didnt see him actually hit one, I was joking around about it and asked him if he's ever hit one and he said he did.

carmatic1 11-20-2006 07:50 PM

i was commenting on the thread starter

yeah, having birds chase after you and mid air you is just bad luck, but to actually hunt down a bird which hasnt done anything to you?

doubledee 11-21-2006 09:13 AM

Trinity_09,

This is the RC Humor forum, but I'm damned if I see the humor in intentionally flying an RC aircraft into a bird. Anyone who thinks killing a bird just for the fun of it is funny needs to grow up. But then again, look at the way the thread is written, it explains a lot.
And by the way, if what you wrote is true, and you actually hit the bird with your prop it probably didn't survive.

doubledee

alex k 11-21-2006 05:56 PM

Uh, are you guys PETA members or something? Not trying to make you mad or anything, but I was just wandering.

GabeBoudreau 11-22-2006 12:09 AM

Wow, remember when Dave Winfield hit the bird at Yankees stadium? He was fined and got a ticket from NYPD For killing a pigeon or something.

I've had chickens chase after my RC trucks before. It was funny watching a chicken run around trying to kill an RC10T...he never did catch up though!

Phlip 11-22-2006 05:39 AM

Found this about Winfield:

"On August 4, 1983, Winfield, while warming up before the 5th inning of a game at Toronto's Exhibition Stadium, accidentally killed a seagull with a thrown ball. He doffed his cap in mock sorrow. Fans responded by hurling obscenties and improvised missiles. After the game, he was brought to the Ontario Provincial Police station on charges of cruelty to animals and was forced to post a $500 bond before being released. Quipped Yankees manager Billy Martin, "It's the first time he's hit the cutoff man." The charges were dropped the following day. For years afterward Winfield's appearances in Toronto were greeted with loud choruses of boos, but he later became a fan favorite. (A similar accident involving a bird happened to Randy Johnson during spring training in March 2001.)"
Bottom line: At Toronto, seagull, accidental, no fine. (And I'm a Red Sox fan. I just hate to see anyone having false rumors about them.

Hey Alex, where are you wandering? I'm just wondering.

alex k 11-22-2006 09:07 AM

Anyone who thinks killing a bird just for the fun of it is funny needs to grow up.

^ Thats why, I agree with you on it somewhat. Depends on the species, I would be mad if it was something endangered, or rare. But there's also something called hunting, where you shoot geese, ducks, pheasants, quail, and a bunch of other fowl, intentionally.

Im not standing up for TRINITY_09, its just that statement bothered me

I was also addressing this towards carmatic and doubledee.

Alex

Danny Mulders 11-22-2006 11:43 AM

At our flying field in the netherlands we have received a warning from "waterstaat" ( a company that's part of the government to ensure a safe living environment for everyone) that someone saw a bird being chased on purpose by a rc plane. they said that if it would happen again they would close down our field.....

MadMonkey 11-22-2006 07:56 PM

Uh... hunting with an RC plane? First of all, it's illegal. There's laws about what types of weapons you can use. Second, it's dangerous. Your plane could do ANYTHING after hitting a bird. Third, if you're going to hunt, shoot the bird. Don't hit it with an airplane, break a wing and make it suffer (the bird). Do it properly.

Some people [:o]

alex k 11-22-2006 08:14 PM

Thats what I meant was shooting it.

poe 11-22-2006 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: alex k

^ Thats why, I agree with you on it somewhat. Depends on the species, I would be mad if it was something endangered, or rare. But there's also something called hunting, where you shoot geese, ducks, pheasants, quail, and a bunch of other fowl, intentionally.

Alex
It is true that people hunt birds, but then they eat them. Even if they don't eat them and just stuff em', it is for a reason not a couple of laughs. I dont see the purpose of the thread nor do i know why i felt i needed to post in it, but you should realize what you are saying. You are basically saying "well this birds' life is not as important than this "rare" bird, so sure lets hit it with a plane??[&:]

alex k 11-23-2006 12:29 AM

anyone who thinks killing a bird for fun is funny needs to grow up.

When I first read this, I took it as "people who hunt need to grow up"

When I read it again, I saw that he was saying "killing a bird for fun with no real reason, needs to grow up"

I agree, hunting is something that should be done in respect and for a certain personal reason.

I'm not saying that "this bird's" life is less important than a "rare bird's" life. I would just be more upset if it was an endangered bird because, its just that, endangered.

I just realized that I have been spelling "wondering" wrong. I was spelling it with an "a"

Alex

carmatic1 11-23-2006 07:33 AM

ORIGINAL: MadMonkey

Uh... hunting with an RC plane?

ORIGINAL: alex k

Thats what I meant was shooting it.
no, he meant hunting with an RC plane...

alex k 11-23-2006 12:18 PM

O, thought he meant hunting in general, the way he said a couple other things.

GabeBoudreau 11-25-2006 04:59 AM

Yeah, Winfield hit a seagull. I knew he hit a bird. And then randy johnson did it again in 01'. Sucks for those birds but there is no way you can say that winfield and johnson were trying to do that. NO WAY.

This kid at was trying to hit the bird. That is f***ed up big time. The guy that mentioned that their RC field will be shut down, you should find the jerk that almost had your field shut down and slap him a few times. Not hard slaps but the kinds that wake a person up.

I somehow still can't find the RC humor in this thread. I've hunted foul for food. They are good eating (quail, Pigeon etc.) and went for a good cause. Fed myself and my platoon many times from bird foul when our supplies were low.

Other than that, I try to respect creatures large and small. I even pick up cockroaches and put them outside when I find one in my bathroom or kitchen. So someday if they do rule the earth, maybe they will let a human go here and there. Never know.

Gabe

Grampaw 11-26-2006 05:51 AM

Years ago when Astroflite first came out with their E Models I had one of their high wingers. In our part of the world we have what we call "Cow Birds" which are actually Egrets, but because these big white birds frequent pastures where cattle and horses graze, taking advantage of the bugs they find around livestock, we call them "Cowbirds." Each evening flocks will form up to return to the roost in wooded and marshy areas nearby. Because my Astroflite model was electic and quiet, I could come up behind the flock as they passed over our field. Now and then some would drop back to check out the new "bird" that joined the flock, but no defensive action would take place. I even had one turn away when I did and followed me through two 360 degree turns off my right wing while lookind my plane over good. When was satisfied I was no threat, he banked away to rejoined the flock. They were only up a hundred feet or so giving me a good close look at the whole event...and to me is was an event. They are beautiful birds in flight, and I got a real kick out of it. Hell a lot more satisfying than slamming into them, just to see the feathers fly. "Takes all kinds!" I've often heard it said.

sox101 11-26-2006 01:52 PM

I like flying in formation with the gulls at my slope. I don't purposely try to hit them, but if I did it would probably do more damage to my plane than the bird.

GabeBoudreau 11-26-2006 06:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Grampaw

Years ago when Astroflite first came out with their E Models I had one of their high wingers. In our part of the world we have what we call "Cow Birds" which are actually Egrets, but because these big white birds frequent pastures where cattle and horses graze, taking advantage of the bugs they find around livestock, we call them "Cowbirds." Each evening flocks will form up to return to the roost in wooded and marshy areas nearby. Because my Astroflite model was electic and quiet, I could come up behind the flock as they passed over our field. Now and then some would drop back to check out the new "bird" that joined the flock, but no defensive action would take place. I even had one turn away when I did and followed me through two 360 degree turns off my right wing while lookind my plane over good. When was satisfied I was no threat, he banked away to rejoined the flock. They were only up a hundred feet or so giving me a good close look at the whole event...and to me is was an event. They are beautiful birds in flight, and I got a real kick out of it. Hell a lot more satisfying than slamming into them, just to see the feathers fly. "Takes all kinds!" I've often heard it said.
That has got to be the coolest thing I have read yet on RCU. That had to be a site. Could you do this and get video of it? Maybe an in-flight camera that could show the birds viewing your plane! AWESOME!

Gabe

crashland 73 11-27-2006 01:37 AM

I like to hit birds on purpose, but with my .308 LOL! Any species other than the eagle.

Bass1 11-27-2006 02:23 AM

What's your favorite recipe? I have a bunch of quail (6 birds lightly slathered with a sweet vinegar/ tomato based BQ sauce) [sm=52_52.gif]on the grill right now as I type!;)

crashland 73 11-27-2006 02:37 AM

I usually just do the old fashioned way. But, yours sounds good. I just soak them in salt water over night and roll them in flour and pepper them and then just fry them.

alex k 11-27-2006 07:08 PM

You can eat pigeon? [&:]

crashland 73 11-27-2006 09:28 PM

Oh, lol, I was talking about dove, quale and stuff. I guess you can eat pigeon. I dont see why. I know of people that have eaten crows and stuff.

Flying freak 11-27-2006 10:50 PM

Id be scared to hit a bird because there is a chance you looe the plane what would a one pount object mmoving at 70 mph do to a win idk but i bet it wouldnt be prettty like if you loose half a wing your game over ( i know bill hample brought on down but there aint many guys good enough to do that and evan then her got luckey that it fell inot a knife edge if it would have fallen into a flat spin it owuld have been game over )

crashland 73 11-27-2006 11:34 PM

I would figure that too. I like to just chase them. I usually do it with my old beat up patched together plane anyway. That way if I do then I aint lost nothing. I usually chase crows. I dont mess with eagles. Them suckers are huge, I would figure they would get mad and come at me lol.

jollycub 01-06-2007 11:56 AM

I know this is a somewhat old post, but this is my favorite quail recipe.
Roll the quail in flour, salt, and pepper. Put into a glass baking dish. Pour heavy cream over til just covered. Bake
about an hour at 325 degrees. (This is from memory. You might want to look it up on the internet for real times and temperatures.)

jollycub 01-06-2007 12:00 PM

This is scary. Not hitting the bird on purpose (that is mean) but the threat of closing the field down. Can Waterstaat (sp) close your field on the word of someone or do they have to observe the violation?

Carpilot 01-08-2007 11:10 AM

I've never hit a bird with a R/C Plane but I have had to walk down to the end of the runway so the geese (sky carp) would leave and I could fly. one time they came back during my flight and I had to land short and veer off the runway and nosed over to avoid getting into them.

I wouldn't eat a goose at gunpoint so I'm not going to ruin my plane with one either LOL.

Another time in San Juan National Forest while flying my F27c stryker about 10,000 ft. I had a raven try to take out my stryker, wich turned into quite an argument. I didn't hit the raven but I won the argument! I think the full throttle whine and the speed won the argument for me!

bdavison 01-09-2007 09:43 AM

Ive prefer a APC 12x6 for my bird hunting. Buzzard tastes good with mayonaise.

JK.

Ive nailed two birds. One with a foamy, plane and bird survived...one with a Extra 300....neither lived, but the extra definatly ended up better than the bird.
Wasnt aiming for either of them, and was specifically trying to dodge the latter.....but If it comes down to my plane or the bird....Screw the bird, Ill give it full throttle and chop that feathered pest into mincemeat without even blinking before I sacrifice a plane for a dumb bird.

Bass1 01-10-2007 02:46 AM

Sky Carp can be slathered with low fatty animal fats/lards[sm=lol.gif]

freeonthree 01-10-2007 07:39 PM

I won't let a bird get near me, let alone approach one or many. Thats just not right. Shame on you !

crashland 73 01-10-2007 09:59 PM

birdaphobia?

Bass1 01-11-2007 02:33 AM

This thread has got me cypherin' and a thinkin'! Should fish avoid the submarines?.., or is it the "captains" duty to avoid the fish?[sm=47_47.gif]

jmb52760 01-14-2007 08:43 AM

I have had the opposite happen. Years ago (23?) I was flying a 2 meter slope glider near Prescott, AZ. At this particular spot, there was quite often a Red-Tailed Hawk using the slope lift to get a free ride and hunt. I thought this was cool, and at times it looked like we were flying in formation. One day, the hawk decided that I was a threat and attacked me! He came in from above in that crooked-wing dive that you see and struck the top of my wing with his talons. Since he didn't take me out, I guess he decided to let me use the hill from then on because it never happened again. I don't remember if there was any damage.

rustypep 01-15-2007 03:29 AM

Never seen a bird attack an R/C plane or get hit by one but I did witness someone hit a bird with a golf ball on the course (obviously not on purpose). The ball bounced one way and the bird went another. I didn't notice the bird until I saw the ball change direction and the bird was falling. The bird hit the ground, stumbled and eventually flew away. I probably wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't see it myself.