Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

I would like to think the undercarriage bearers would be hardwood but these chineese manuf will use anything that is handy!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:31 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this is not a Falcon 120, but if you chaps read or just scan this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5913492/tm.htm you will see the variations in quality that is normal in most AFTF's and the various mods have been detailed to get over the inadequate UC fixings.

Mike
Old 04-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Ramz

ORIGINAL: jzuniga

On your comments, I strengthened mine with Hysol... but on mine they appeared to be some sort of hardwood, like basswood? Not balsa?

Z
Mine appeared to be a dense balsa. I guarantee that it was not basswood as the old blocks were replaced with basswood.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:01 PM
arockwell

Ramz,
I had the same thing happen to mine only I was just taxing after a range check. I was lucky that i did not take off or it could have been ugly.
There was no glue on the blocks at all. I made new blocks and picked up the next rib and put end caps on the gear blocks. I also put in some webbing between the some of the ribs.
the balsa sheeting i removed was replaced with a combo of ply and them balsa on top just to tie it all together.
If my gear rips out know it will destroy the wings, but atleast it will make it off the ground this time.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:43 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought one of the reasons for buying this version was that it was an improvement on the Falcon 120 and not having the same problems like poor glueing and weak undercarriage mountings.

From what arockwell has said it says to me that the loads on the rails could have been better spread across another rib. This needs looking at and making sure the factory understand the importance of the use of proper wood and correct gluing in this very important area. Also sacking of the man that inspects every kit. refer post 26

This model was a breath of fresh air in the Jet world that is filled with grossly over priced aeroplanes, if it becomes a regular occurrence that these aeroplanes pull out landing gear and the no glue on the joints is there for all to see, then it will just confirm to the knockers that if it is cheap it is crap. And this will effect all new models brought out down the road.
This needs looking at now.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:04 AM
747junky

You are correct I believe that this airplane was suppose to be a step up from them Falcon and it is. The wings are a lot harder and with stand pretty much what you want to put them through. I have a P70 on mine and have put it through the ringer for the last 110 flights. As for the blocks sorry to disagree put Jzuniga is right mine were some type of hard bass wood and on both my planes they are still in there with no extra anything, of course now that i said that I am sure they will rip out and destroy my wing on the next flight LOL. This plane has been a really great thing to the hobby.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:11 AM
Newskin78

I have to agree on this one I have one of the old Tornado's and my gear blocks were dark bass wood and they have lasted for me so far with all my great landings cuz I m the best jet pilot here JK LOL. I said old Tornado's because I got one of the new paint Scheme Tornado's directly from the factory and there are several changes from my first kit. It is built much better and has a lot more glue and reinforcements in places a side from the fact that the red looks awesome.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Ramz

I am not going to say the airplane is "crap" but there is room for improvement. The Tornado has alot of great things going for it but it just needs some refinements such as:

The landing gear area (both nose and mains with mine)

The formers weren't even glued into the fuselage. A very very basic QA system would have prevented this.

The elevator servo holes need modification to safely accept a 225MG using the standard servo mounting screws.

The canopy should come with proper hardware and a proper mounting system from the factory...or atleast give us the option to use a factory mounting system.

Same goes for the rear bottom fuselage hatch...a pre installed mounting system would cost next to nothing and make construction easier faster.

My mount for the turbine would not accept my P70 without adding some wood spacers between the bottom of the clamp and the top of the mount. I also had to drill new holes in the clamp and wood spacers. A simple change to the mount would solve this problem....or include some hardwood spacers.

There isn't much room to mount the necessary gear in the fuselage without making an extra mounting plate and mounting it ahead of the steering servo. This is what i did and it worked great. It is removable for easy access. An included piece of lite ply and 2 mounting rails would be a nice touch imho.

A phenolic/fiberglass tube for the wing tubes inside the fuselage would be nice. My main wing tube is a very sloppy fit in the fuselage. Seems to work ok when the wings are on but it is scary without the wings on.

My rear wheel hubs both seized during the initial taxi tests. I had to disassemble the wheels and file part of the hub to get the proper clearance so the wheels would not seize. Not a Modellbau issue but rather a Spring Air issue. Apparently I am the only one this has happened to from what I have read. More than likely a very isolated incident and nothing to be concerned about.

I am not crapping on the Tornado. If these minor issues were addressed in the construction phase, it would make it a much more enjoyable aircraft to assemble and own.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:46 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I think the Tornado is. I think Henry went to the Falcon factory and ordered a bunch of the falcons with sheeted wings and some different formers, asked for a few other minor changes and the tornado was born. It is well documented that the falcon has the same problems as the tornado. The Falcon sells for $169 and the Tornado $475 with spring air gear worth about $100.00, it was good marketing by Henry and a lot of guys bought it. Is it a bad deal No Just a little improved Falcon with a new paint job. Just my opinion and belief.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

I apologize for the minor issues that some of you have been having with some of the Tornado's. Everybody who has had any issues I will give a discount if you purchase another airplane from us. I always make things right most of you who have done business with me know that
RAMZ I hope you understand that this is a new airplane for us and we are working all the bugs out of the manufacturing process. As a matter of fact we have addressed all the issues you mentioned. The new kits will be made with all the changes you want done.
As for the comment made by Mr. Aquaskiman I really don't appreciate you accusing my company of doing things you have no idea of. I constantly see you make comments on other forums about manufacturers and stir up crap that does not need to be stirred up. I have tried to help the RC Jet community not benefit from it. If you use your theory matlock my Tornado is cheaper not more expensive than a Falcon 120 with the same gear.
Falcon 120 $169.99
Spring Air retracts $160.00
Composite Fuel tank $125.00
That is $456.00 not including composite control horns, moulded cockpit tub, engine mount etc...
FYI if you can buy spring air retracts for $100 then I will take 200 sets put your money were your mouth is.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:49 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Modellbau USA
I apologize for the minor issues that some of you have been having with some of the Tornado's. Everybody who has had any issues I will give a discount if you purchase another airplane from us. I always make things right most of you who have done business with me know that.
APPLAUSE

Hang in there Henry. [:@]
Old 04-22-2011, 02:56 PM
david robinson

George I think you are totally out of line accusing people of things that you are not sure of especially publicly like this. I have seen your post on various post's in the past and all you do is say negative stuff about manufactures unless they give you something for free. I think your a piece of crap and a frustrated old man that has no life. Fore give me if I am so pissed but Henry last year helped me out with out even knowing me. I purchased a Tornado from him full package including Turbine and a few weeks after I bought it I lost my job. He completely refunded my money even after I started working on the kit to help me out and took it all back. He is a very straight forward person and has very high integrity so talking smack about him with out knowing him personally is not cool.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:07 PM
747junky

First of all your doing a great job Thanks, very nicely said!!!

As for you Aquaskiman you are taking out of your !@$* I have been to Modellbau's Factory in Ecuador when on one of my trips and it is very impressive to see how they build. I saw them making theTornado and F86D but I was also fortunate to see them making the wings of one of there UAV's all I can say is holly crap talk about quality workmanship.
Its always easier to Monday morning quarter back than to be in the hot seat. So Henry hang in there please dont give up on these low cost jets, dont let a sour apple ruin the crop.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:16 PM
aquaskiman

Henry I tell it like I see it. The only company I have stirred things up with, was skymaster USA after they would not reply to my e-mails after I spent thousands with them. Jeff was the one I was dealing with he is no longer with them. What other posts have I stirred things up???????????????????? Look at my post history Henry! I have dealt with you and have not posted anything negative about your company, just like I told you I would not do. I do not think what I posted was negative. How do you explain the similarities between the Falcon and your Tornado? Landing gear cut outs to long for prop clearance just like the falcon, formers falling out, just like the falcon, landing gear blocks not glued in just like the falcon, holes in the back of the fuselage just like the falcon, brittle fiber glass fuselage just like the falcon I could go on and on. George
Old 04-22-2011, 03:20 PM
aquaskiman

Wow David you haven’t read any of my posts, most of my last 100 posts have been complementing companies. You must be one of those guys that talks big and bad behind a phone or PC.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:37 PM
david robinson

Oh no George I don't talk crap on the phone or computer I would bust your head open in person as well
I'm not a polite person like Henry
Semper Fi
Old 04-22-2011, 03:51 PM
aquaskiman

WOW David I am really scared, you must be a real bad man. I see you have a lot of experience joined 11 of 2010
Old 04-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Modellbau USA

Ok guys stop this is an RC forum were people come enjoy there hobby not fight.
George there is nothing for you to stir up you bought one of my MB339 you though it was crap and the gear that we did not make it was Eurokit, So I gave you a full refund thats it. Let me tell you and most of the modelers out would agree with me. Not many companies would give you a full refund because you did not like the kit quality. As a matter of fact I know a few that would just ignore you and laugh. So what exactly did I do wrong? Again i have said in the past several times we based the design of the Tornado on the falcon 120. We changed stuff aerodynamically that's I why if you speak to several people that have had both airplanes would tell you the Tornado flies rock solid and handles much better than a falcon ever could. Yes I admit we have had to change more things since the first production run and it is getting better and better that is why some people have had problems and others have 100+ flights and no problems and the new kits are even better. We have delayed our F86D for that same reason to get everything possible worked out.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

RAMZ I hope you understand that this is a new airplane for us and we are working all the bugs out of the manufacturing process. As a matter of fact we have addressed all the issues you mentioned. The new kits will be made with all the changes you want done.
Well, there's the BIG difference between the Tornado & the Falcon 120.

Not the Chinese, head in the sand, we make perfect ploduct, take it or leave it attitude.

Rather, the let's listen to the customer & make changes to improve the product attitude.

A lot of jet kits & goodies cost a bomb just because the word 'jet' is on the box.
Good to see some 'jet' products without the 'jet' price penalty.

Good luck to you Henry! - John.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:56 PM
aquaskiman

Ok Henry I edited my post Truce…….Ok
Old 04-22-2011, 04:05 PM
aquaskiman

Just for the record I didn’t say the Tornado was bad or a bad buy, if Henry is building the jets from his own factory then it should not be a problem to fix the problems with the Tornado and really have a nice low priced jet. It will be easy to move the wheel pockets so they fit the gear he sells and the other things. Time will tell.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Modellbau USA

Like I said I have fixed all the issues my customers have had and I continue to fix things. I even have revised the hardware list to include more things needed to complete the airplane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36308.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1597591  
Old 04-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Mike06659

Henry,
Is there any word or info on the Sport Jet?? Price or pics?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Modellbau USA

Well price I can tell you that it will be under $1000 I am hoping to have it cost around $695 but it all depends if we are going to have built up wings with carbon fiber reinforcements or fully composite wings and tail surfaces. It will come with composite fuel tanks, retracts and pipe for that price.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Mike06659

Will that be late Summer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.