Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA Decision Looms on Model Aircraft Regulations

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FAA Decision Looms on Model Aircraft Regulations

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 AM
STKNRUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FAA Decision Looms on Model Aircraft Regulations

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

ORIGINAL: STKNRUD

...a bit of a provoking exaggeration to any post I've read here.

Politics....social issues???? No connection.

LOL,

I'm sure if I said, ''Have a nice day'', you'd find that a provoking exaggeration. I think it's pretty obvious that the state of affairs with our jets is, at least for us, a social issue. If this isn't a political issue, too, then I don't know what is. Politics IS 'social issues', btw.
LOL...Ha..Ha..whatever. It was a gross exaggeration and provocative to suggest anyone expected custom hand-written letters. As to politics and social issues...in the context of the NPRM your right about it being a political issue but my intended reference was to your "New Years Resolution" about that and "maybe one day"... "evil". Good to hear it but I didn't see the relevance of your personal resolution. BTW, that is not a question.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh,

Well I'm sure there's a lot written in these posts that has no real relevance to the issue. My 'hand-written response' comment was no more an exaggeration than a lot of the hateful and vitriolic comments aimed at half of congress in these threads.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I think we need to pick our fights. Dont see lack of a specific, nice response as worth fighting for, as long as they vote to keep the FAA out of RC[8D]
Old 03-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: Edgar Perez

I think we need to pick our fights. Dont see lack of a specific, nice response as worth fighting for, as long as they vote to keep the FAA out of RC[8D]

Wisdom.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:12 PM
FliteMetal

Recreational R/C more or less got swept up in the FAA, NSA, DCS, and other three letter agency concerns for autonomous flight.
Since the FAA acceptance definition of recreational R/C was over 30 years old...they feared what they did not know...but were
aware of with respect to the autonomous flight UAV's.

Their broad stroke pen was left feeling it had to do something...mostly concerned with safety issues related to recreational R/C
and 1:1. As was asked before...this does not need to be an element of ongoing discussion because these threads are spidered
by Google and other web bots...and turn up in simple searches...if you get my drift. Carnivore and its near term replacement
are overlord web bots.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:43 PM
g6rcteam

hey guys its not just jets its scale  pylon imac free flight gliders actually when you think about it jets will be the least affected as like you said  not many jets around anyways i love jets and fly at a private no ama club with mine but if it came down to no model aviation or turbines i would hanger all mine to save what could be the best way for a kid to get into airplanes come on guys are 10 thousand dollar extensions of are manhood really worth killing off aviaton ..... i think not...... by the way r.c. models is how i learned aviation and now im a fullscale pilot and aircraft restorer kit builder at 29 years old i would not have wanted to go down the path of some of my freinds who didnt receive a gift such as model aviaton to help shape ther lives .....just somthing to think about........
Old 03-21-2011, 07:19 PM
STKNRUD

ORIGINAL: g6rcteam

hey guys its not just jets its scale pylon imac free flight gliders actually when you think about it jets will be the least affected as like you said not many jets around anyways i love jets and fly at a private no ama club with mine but if it came down to no model aviation or turbines i would hanger all mine to save what could be the best way for a kid to get into airplanes come on guys are 10 thousand dollar extensions of are manhood really worth killing off aviaton ..... i think not...... by the way r.c. models is how i learned aviation and now im a fullscale pilot and aircraft restorer kit builder at 29 years old i would not have wanted to go down the path of some of my freinds who didnt receive a gift such as model aviaton to help shape ther lives .....just somthing to think about........
I am speechless because I can't put in print here what I am thinking! Tell me your kiding...please. The alternative requires a lot of expensive therapy.

But while you are condemplating what we should sacrifice, let's eliminate all of those expensive private aircraft which are just owned by rich over inflated egos....especially all of the kit planes which are sooo dangerous.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:43 PM
g6rcteam

to say that everyone who owns a kitplane is rich is by far the stupidist thing ive ever heard im not rich and if i were to choose what is more dangerous turbine jet models are by far more dangerous then a kitplane just look at u tubeand it takes far less school traning and money to obtain a turbine waiver . just fly safe and try to think of the big picture r.c. airplanes are a big part of life as we know it and if we are to keep any r.c. models at all to not worry so much of the jets as the only plane that are to be affected all aircraft hobbies will be affected !
Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 PM
STKNRUD

We don't need kit planes. They are silly little toys. We don't need private aviation. The military can train the pilots.
The country doesn't need kit planes anymore than we need model jets.

You don't get it. My statements are ridiculous to make my point but it went over your head. I'll tell you why we can't give up jets...because some day your kid or grand-kid will want to fly an EDF or a 40% and by then, people like you will have given them up so you can protect foamies or rubber band models.

For the record, I have flown privately and commercially for over 40 years and many people would throw away kit planes and all GA private aviation for a whole variety of reasons like national security, environment, dangerous, noise around the homes near airports, crowded airways, minimum safe equipment stds (TCAS on even kit planes) and because "they are just rich peoples' little toys". What YOU defend, others are willing to give up. Be careful what you think we should sacrifice "for the good of the hobby". Tomorrow it could be what you depend on for a job.

to say that everyone who owns a kitplane is rich is by far the stupidist thing ive ever heard im not rich and if i were to choose what is more dangerous turbine jet models are by far more dangerous then a kitplane just look at u tube and it takes far less school traning and money to obtain a turbine waiver . just fly safe and try to think of the big picture r.c. airplanes are a big part of life as we know it and if we are to keep any r.c. models at all to not worry so much of the jets as the only plane that are to be affected all aircraft hobbies will be affected !
Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Factorypilot

to say that everyone who owns a kitplane is rich is by far the stupidist thing ive ever heard im not rich and if i were to choose what is more dangerous turbine jet models are by far more dangerous then a kitplane just look at u tubeand it takes far less school traning and money to obtain a turbine waiver . just fly safe and try to think of the big picture r.c. airplanes are a big part of life as we know it and if we are to keep any r.c. models at all to not worry so much of the jets as the only plane that are to be affected all aircraft hobbies will be affected !
The whole point is that the FAA has no business in the model aircraft industry; I'm an airline pilot - trust me, I know what the FAA is like and you do NOT want them getting their mitts into our business. I'm all for safety of flight issues, but they should be handled by the AMA andlocal clubs and not government regulatory actions IMHO. If they start regulating stuff like jets, you are sadly mistaken if you think they are just going to stop with that. They have no business regulating line of sight remote controlled modelling, PERIOD. What they need to do is focus onupdating the damn rest requirements for the airlines and quit screwing around with stuff like this.

Just my .02
Old 03-21-2011, 08:29 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have to take issue with the statement that turbines models are far more dangerous than kit planes, the fact is far more people have been injured or killed in
kit plane accdents and kit planes have causedfar more property damage than with turbine models.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:59 PM
g6rcteam

well r.c. was never an issue before turbine powerd models started blowing up as fireballs on utube stinkin rude is got 421 stupid remarks and sounds like he doesnt have a clue as to what aviation is all about i bet there is a couple kitplane owner model builders reading this wonder what they all have to say oh and by the way my job has been affected way before turbine models were flying as for foamies i dont think i will be using any of my foamies at top gun this year but after these rules take affect i might just be forced to im not posting any more goodnight to all happy landings
Old 03-21-2011, 09:00 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey guys its not just jets its scale pylon imac free flight gliders actually when you think about it jets will be the least affected as like you said not many jets around anyways i love jets and fly at a private no ama club with mine but if it came down to no model aviation or turbines i would hanger all mine to save what could be the best way for a kid to get into airplanes come on guys are 10 thousand dollar extensions of are manhood really worth killing off aviaton ..... i think not...... by the way r.c. models is how i learned aviation and now im a fullscale pilot and aircraft restorer kit builder at 29 years old i would not have wanted to go down the path of some of my freinds who didnt receive a gift such as model aviaton to help shape ther lives .....just somthing to think about........
That has to be one of the most absurd statements I have read all year. Lets seeHow many people were killed or badly injured by R/C turbines since they were common-That would be ZERO. Now how many people were killed in experimental aircraft accidents LAST yearI think I might have to take my socks off to count that number up. Scotty
Old 03-21-2011, 09:25 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

I smell me a seven post troll. G[>:]
Old 03-21-2011, 09:40 PM
STKNRUD

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

I smell me a seven post troll. G[>:]
Hey Dave...I hope your correct. I was about to send my licenses and type certificates back to the FAA since I don't know $&@& about aviation. Hope your enjoying the new job! If not, have you considered building FS kits?

George
Old 03-21-2011, 09:43 PM
InboundLZ

Sir George, I would say you know a thing or two....

The job rocks, currently in G550 school....a month in LBC.....fun stuff!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 PM
STKNRUD

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

Sir George, I would say you know a thing or two....

The job rocks, currently in G550 school....a month in LBC.....fun stuff!
GREAT! Good to "see" you enjoying aviation again! Best to Jake.
George
Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 PM
InboundLZ

I am! Thanks for the help getting me to this point!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Well, one thing I definitely agree with.....the FAA should have absolutely nothing to do with Model Aviation. I am a General Aviation pilot and all I can say to them is: Leave us alone, please.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:35 AM
FliteMetal

Its obvious few posting in this thread have read the timeline, or for that matter taken the time to ask about what's being
posted "before" making their comments. "The" reason the AMA used its formatted letter program. I read comments
above and realized the majority posting do not understand this is already over with, decisions have already been made,
words are on paper, from a quisi-legislative agency who does not answer to anyone....

Except Congress...the reason for the letter campaign. It is accepted there were going to be further ceiling, speed, and
weight constraints...at the minimum. They were going to make ammendments if for no other reason.... no one had
reviewed the subject in thirty years.

Congress passing the subject exclusion will slow down the changes... While safety issues still are a concern, AMA and
the FAA have worked through these for the last thirty years and unless slapped around like teenagers...are expected
to continue dialog. There is a new face at the table who comes from the commercial aviation industry. Her focus is 1:1
and model "safety".

For those who think posting here is away from prying eyes. Not so...searches on the net lead people here every day.
There are continual autonomous searches...every day.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:17 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

So what will continuous searches and the prying eyes see? Some individuals who don't want regulations put upon them by an agency that has no authority to make laws. Individuals complaining about their representatives. Too bad. I didn't hear anyone in this forum say they were calling or sending nasty emails to the FAA complaining. We should all just shut our mouths and hope the AMA did the best they could. Well that's pretty much what we did. Now we can't exchange our thoughts in a public forum because big brother might see it and get insulted and change their opinion on the regulations? The saying 'If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all" applies in many situations but not when dealing with government and bureaucrats because if you don't open your mouth they think you don't exist.

Marty
Old 03-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Warbirdguy

Just thought you guys would like to see the response I got from my Senator. Its more of a fence straddling response. Really doesnt say one way or the other he stands. Ill send a follow up letter and see if I get the same response. If I do, then Im probably talking to a bot lol.

Enjoy!

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office regarding the classification and treatment of model airplanes in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) reauthorization bill. Your input is important to me, and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

I know that federal legislation and regulations often carry unintended consequences, and I understand your concern that hobbyists may be unfairly caught up in new regulation. As you have pointed out, the regulation in question was not included in the final version of the FAA Reauthorization bill that passed the Senate, a bill I was happy to support. Please know that I will carefully monitor the status of this provision as the FAA bill as a whole is considered in the House. The insight and information you have given here will certainly help my staff and me more effectively look into this issue.

Thank you again for your letter. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me as I serve you in the United States Senate.

Sincerely,

Bob Corker
United States Senator
Old 03-22-2011, 06:06 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Nothing from Senator Kloubachar or Representative Walz.

I did get this from Senator Franken:

Thank you for submitting your message to my U.S. Senate office. Each week, several thousand Minnesotans send me their thoughts and suggestions on legislation and important issues facing our nation. This impressive volume is a testament to the Minnesotan traditions of grassroots activism and civic participation that distinguish our state. I closely track the concerns that are expressed in your letters and emails, and will answer them as soon as possible.
Sincerely,

Al Franken
United States Senator

Now I am stuck on Al Frankens spam mail list... No response to my letter, but I get to hear his own self promotion.

Celebrating the "State of Hockey"
Hockey Day Minnesota festivities in Moorhead last month gave me the chance to meet players from the Roseau, Hill Murray, Wayzata, and Moorhead high school hockey teams who participated in this great Minnesota tradition. I had the honor of dropping the puck at the first game between Wayzata and Roseau, and I've also followed the state hockey tournament which ended on Saturday. A hearty congratulations to the Eden Prairie Eagles and the St. Thomas Academy Cadets on some great hockey.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:20 AM
FliteMetal

I believe when you look, you will find the FAA does make rules, without having to ask for approval. They and the FCC both work with the AMA
on a face to face basis. This is the accepted process of representation until we are forced to invoke our representatives to remove what either
has set into place. I prefer to live with the realities of post 911...and not by ostrich principals.

If you lived anywhere near the Gulf and Southern Border...you would observe the realities of the three letter agencies working in your behalf.
Most of them with great effeciency, though with this morning's disclosure some less than rather than greater than appropriate. Flying R/C is a
privilege, not a right.

If you are receiving unsolicited email, simply block originator's email address and its trashed without having to deal with it.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:46 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

yeah I can block it to my spam folder, but would rather complain about the moron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.