Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA Decision Looms on Model Aircraft Regulations

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FAA Decision Looms on Model Aircraft Regulations

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Factorypilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FAA Decision Looms on Model Aircraft Regulations

ORIGINAL: daven

Now I am stuck on Al Frankens spam mail list... No response to my letter, but I get to hear his own self promotion.
LOL nice... you took one for the team man! /salute.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Machinepro76

I'm getting really sick and tired of hearing about this privilege not right crap. Nothing personal to the above author, but you sir have forgotten or have never understood what it is the founders of this republic had in mind for its citizens. I have a right (self evident and god given) to engage in just about any activity I see fit just so long as it does not pose undue harm to the property or risk to the safety of my fellow citizens. "It neither pics my pocket nor breaks my leg". Someone far wiser than most who will ever post on this forum not only retorted that quote when challenged by individuals such as you, but also had the good sence to note that "when the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears its people there is liberty". This federal government and all of its associated bureaucracies no longer fear reprisal for undue harm brought upon the citizenry by their actions. This has become a government of fiat and edict ruled by an elite bureaucracy which is inclined to frequently end run around even the elected representatives of the people. (Let alone their constitutional rights). The FAA like most other bureacucracies today has 3 primary objectives directing it. 1- Justifying its existence. 2- Expanding the scope and depth of its perview. 3- last and least satisfying the requirements of its charter. The lesson I put forth here is that bureaucracy begets bureaucracy. We do NOT need a federal entity of any kind regulating us. End rant.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Machinepro76,

That was *not* a rant - that was the truth! You said it much better than I could!

Bob
Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 AM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One might wish for what-isn't in the face of what-is. What we like to have is continued use as it-was granted thirty years ago. To wish for more is fine. To argue for sake of argument in the face of what-is only threatens further the status of what-is. Reality is too often a circumstance less appreciated until it is altered to less than "what-was". Then and only then can what-is be appreciated for what-was-once more than what-it-is at that point.

Dialog and the freedom to maintain dialog are the ultimate what-is when reviewing that which at that time was perceived as acceptable or ignored, overlooked, mis-understood, and mis-represented. Ultimately, nothing is static, set in stone. You either participate in the process or suffer the consequence of what-is.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Machinepro76

I'm getting really sick and tired of hearing about this privilege not right crap. Nothing personal to the above author, but you sir have forgotten or have never understood what it is the founders of this republic had in mind for its citizens. I have a right (self evident and god given) to engage in just about any activity I see fit just so long as it does not pose undue harm to the property or risk to the safety of my fellow citizens. ''It neither pics my pocket nor breaks my leg''. Someone far wiser than most who will ever post on this forum not only retorted that quote when challenged by individuals such as you, but also had the good sence to note that ''when the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears its people there is liberty''. This federal government and all of its associated bureaucracies no longer fear reprisal for undue harm brought upon the citizenry by their actions. This has become a government of fiat and edict ruled by an elite bureaucracy which is inclined to frequently end run around even the elected representatives of the people. (Let alone their constitutional rights). The FAA like most other bureacucracies today has 3 primary objectives directing it. 1- Justifying its existence. 2- Expanding the scope and depth of its perview. 3- last and least satisfying the requirements of its charter. The lesson I put forth here is that bureaucracy begets bureaucracy. We do NOT need a federal entity of any kind regulating us. End rant.

+1
Old 03-22-2011, 08:45 AM
STKNRUD

ORIGINAL: FliteMetal

One might wish for what-isn't in the face of what-is. What we like to have is continued use as it-was granted thirty years ago. To wish for more is fine. To argue for sake of argument in the face of what-is only threatens further the status of what-is. Reality is too often a circumstance less appreciated until it is altered to less than ''what-was''. Then and only then can what-is be appreciated for what-was-once more than what-it-is at that point.

Dialog and the freedom to maintain dialog are the ultimate what-is when reviewing that which at that time was perceived as acceptable or ignored, overlooked, mis-understood, and mis-represented. Ultimately, nothing is static, set in stone. You either participate in the process or suffer the consequence of what-is.
That depends on what "what is" is or what "wasn't isn't". I don't think we need to worry whether anyone is reading this thread! I need another cup of coffee.

George
Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 AM
KoleDeRacer
My Feedback: (5)

Any one else get the letter that the adminment to model aircraft passed?

<style type="text/css"></style>

Dear Mr. DeWoody:

Thank you for your recent letter regarding model aircraft and the FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act (S. 223).  I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this important matter.

As you may know, during Senate consideration of S. 223, Senator Inhofe proposed an amendment to exempt model aircraft used for recreational, sport, competition or academic purposes from regulations or policies set forth by the FAA.  I support common-sense policies that relieve citizens of excessive and unnecessary regulation.  You will be pleased to learn that Senator Inhofe's amendment passed with unanimous support and was included in the Senate-passed version of S. 223.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent you in the United States Senate.  Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

517 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Tel: (202) 224-2934
Fax: (202) 228-2856
http://www.cornyn.senate.gov
Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: STKNRUD

ORIGINAL: FliteMetal

One might wish for what-isn't in the face of what-is. What we like to have is continued use as it-was granted thirty years ago. To wish for more is fine. To argue for sake of argument in the face of what-is only threatens further the status of what-is. Reality is too often a circumstance less appreciated until it is altered to less than ''what-was''. Then and only then can what-is be appreciated for what-was-once more than what-it-is at that point.

That depends on what ''what is'' is or what ''wasn't isn't''. I don't think we need to worry whether anyone is reading this thread! I need another cup of coffee.

George
Forget the coffee. I need a shot

Marty
Old 03-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Shaun Evans

yeah I can block it to my spam folder, but would rather complain about the moron

Yep,

That's the kind of thing I was talking about. Why does the guy have to be called a moron? What makes him a moron, other than disagreeing with you politically? Has someone rewritten the definition of 'moron?' I can think of a few negative things I could say about the man, but he's nobody's moron. He's a pretty talented writer who has donated a great deal of time/effort and money to the USO (a charitable organization whose mission and purpose is pretty noble if you ask me). I realize that in the current political climate, the anti-intellectualism movement has taken a foot-hold so maybe a Magna Cum Laude from Harvard makes a guy more moronic than not, but honestly the name-calling, insults and total disregard for anything good a person ever did in their life if they disagree with you politically is getting really old.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:07 AM
FliteMetal

I believe this speaks for the power of what-is with respect to what-is-desired and dialog required within the process to retain what-
was as the most recent version of what-is. Beneath my most recent reply to John is his response to my original follow-up. As you
have already observed, John has composed a broadcast response to which I returned a personal reply urging him to exercise his
sphere of influence in the HOR to pass the bill as-it-is and further to receive the President's signature... amidst current affairs this
could very well get signed instead of vetoed.

Dear Senator Cornyn,

Thank you for your personal reply to my recent email relative to S. 223. Our continued use of the air space for recreational use is
important to over a million model airplane hobbyist who grow up to be 1:1 aviation enthusiasts if not actual pilots who in many cases
defend the freedom we enjoy.

Your continued support within your sphere of influence is greatly appreciated by all those who are aware of this continuing issue as it
is addressed in the House Of Representatives and further to the President's signature. I pray your sphere of influence crosses party
and the balance of Congress to effect acceptance of what is proposed in S. 223 such that it does not threaten recreational radio
control modeling.

Sincerely,

Wm. E. Clayman, Jr.
Houston, TX

- Original Message -
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:39 AM
Subject: Thank You For Contacting My Office

Dear Mr. Clayman Jr:

Thank you for your recent letter regarding model aircraft and the FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act
(S. 223). I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this important matter.

*As you may know, during Senate consideration of S. 223, Senator Inhofe proposed an amendment to exempt model aircraft used for
recreational, sport, competition or academic purposes from regulations or policies set forth by the FAA. I support common-sense
policies that relieve citizens of excessive and unnecessary regulation. You will be pleased to learn that Senator Inhofe's amendment
passed with unanimous support and was included in the Senate-passed version of S. 223

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent you in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

517 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Tel: (202) 224-2934
Fax: (202) 228-2856
http://www.cornyn.senate.gov
Old 03-22-2011, 09:15 AM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Now I smell a flaming liberal......
Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

Now I smell a flaming liberal......

You sure it's not your top lip?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:22 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

yeah I can block it to my spam folder, but would rather complain about the moron

Yep,

That's the kind of thing I was talking about. Why does the guy have to be called a moron? What makes him a moron, other than disagreeing with you politically? Has someone rewritten the definition of 'moron?' I can think of a few negative things I could say about the man, but he's nobody's moron. He's a pretty talented writer who has donated a great deal of time/effort and money to the USO (a charitable organization whose mission and purpose is pretty noble if you ask me). I realize that in the current political climate, the anti-intellectualism movement has taken a foot-hold so maybe a Magna Cum Laude from Harvard makes a guy more moronic than not, but honestly the name-calling, insults and total disregard for anything good a person ever did in their life if they disagree with you politically is getting really old.
Shaun,
I agree with you that just because we disagree with a politicians point of view, doesn't mean we have to call them a moron and I probably disagree with Al Franken on the majority of his points of view I won't call him a moron for that. I will however call him a moron for thinking he could make a movie out an SNL character.

Marty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98926.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1582593  
Old 03-22-2011, 09:22 AM
InboundLZ

Why take a shot at me personally? Did I call anyone out? Nope...I just offered an opinion but it seems I struck a nerve. I guess if the shoe fits...
Old 03-22-2011, 09:23 AM
STKNRUD

Yep,

Shawn,

Now you've gone to far. Not-withstanding your ever so self serving New Year's Resolution, I can provide some links here to some really insulting things you have called people you disagree with! What a hypocrite!

George
Old 03-22-2011, 09:27 AM
FliteMetal

With hope this matter passes and we can go back to...on no...here it comes...."what-was" :^)
Old 03-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: afterburner

Yep,

Shaun,
I agree with you that just because we disagree with a politicians point of view, doesn't mean we have to call them a moron and I probably disagree with Al Franken on the majority of his points of view I won't call him a moron for that. I will however call him a moron for thinking he could make a movie out an SNL character.

Marty

LOLOL!!!

Ok, touche! A friend and colleague of mine was in that movie, so I like I guess I kinda liked it for that reason. Otherwise, you got me.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

Why take a shot at me personally? Did I call anyone out? Nope...I just offered an opinion but it seems I struck a nerve. I guess if the shoe fits...

Oh puh-leeze.

I'm sure you weren't talking about anyone in particular, and I'm sure you meant it as a compliment....

Either way, don't take that so seriously. I doubt you remember, but we've actually met a couple of times and I thought you were a nice guy, so if it was a "shot", it was a bean-bag shot.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:38 AM
InboundLZ

Fair enough
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Shaun Evans

Yep,

Shawn,

Now you've gone to far. Not-withstanding your ever so self serving New Year's Resolution, I can provide some links here to some really insulting things you have called people you disagree with! What a hypocrite!

George

George,

Be my guest. My resolution doesn't really serve me alone, but don't let that stop you from calling it 'self-serving.' Your [improper] use of 'notwithstanding' doesn't disqualify anything. I really am trying to see past peoples' ideologies and instead see the whole picture (which is usually far better than the snapshot you might get from the divisive labels we use nowadays). Anyway, I don't usually insult people simply for disagreeing with me. There's usually more to the discussion than that

Anyway, you don't have a whole lot of credibility with me since that whole '...I don't agree with you on absolutely anything, no matter what..' comment. I sent you a whole laundry list of things I bet we agree on, but I mysteriously never heard back... Either you didn't have what it takes to admit you were wrong, or you didn't want to face the fact that you might have spoken too soon when you labeled me.

Back to Congress for a moment: My guess is that our hobby, as we know it, will remain almost completely unchanged by government regs. We've done the right thing for the most part in making ourselves heard through the JPO, AMA and the letter campaign.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:00 AM
STKNRUD

Shawn,

Thanks for the lesson in word use. I guess that attack falls outside your New Years' Resolution. I really don't care what credibility I have with you Shawn, but calling some out for insulting congressmen, etc is like Charles Manson saying we should stop the killing.

George
Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Shaun Evans

Shawn,

Thanks for the lesson in word use. I guess that attack falls outside your New Years' Resolution. I really don't care what credibility I have with you Shawn, but calling some out for insulting congressmen, etc is like Charles Manson saying we should stop the killing.

George

And with that little epistle of perspicacity, I'll assume we can agree to disagree (because I really don't think pointing out an error is an attack any more than asking a candidate for high office to name a Supreme Court decision other than Roe V. Wade is a conspiracy...)
Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 AM
STKNRUD

Shawn,

George

And with that little epistle of perspicacity, I'll assume we can agree to disagree (because I really don't think pointing out an error is an attack any more than asking a candidate for high office to name a Supreme Court decision other than Roe V. Wade is a conspiracy...)

Gosh darn, ain't I impressed. I guess you win. I am going flying!

George
Old 03-22-2011, 10:53 AM
willig10

Guys: Let's put this to bed right now. Here is my senators response.

Dear Mr. Williams:
Thank you for your recent letter regarding model aircraft and the FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act (S. 223). I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this important matter.
As you may know, during Senate consideration of S. 223, Senator Inhofe proposed an amendment to exempt model aircraft used for recreational, sport, competition or academic purposes from regulations or policies set forth by the FAA. I support common-sense policies that relieve citizens of excessive and unnecessary regulation. You will be pleased to learn that Senator Inhofe's amendment passed with unanimous support and was included in the Senate-passed version of S. 223.
I appreciate having the opportunity to represent you in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.
Sincerely,
JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator
Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Factorypilot

ORIGINAL: g6rcteam

to say that everyone who owns a kitplane is rich is by far the stupidist thing ive ever heard im not rich and if i were to choose what is more dangerous turbine jet models are by far more dangerous then a kitplane just look at u tube and it takes far less school traning and money to obtain a turbine waiver . just fly safe and try to think of the big picture r.c. airplanes are a big part of life as we know it and if we are to keep any r.c. models at all to not worry so much of the jets as the only plane that are to be affected all aircraft hobbies will be affected !
The whole point is that the FAA has no business in the model aircraft industry; I'm an airline pilot - trust me, I know what the FAA is like and you do NOT want them getting their mitts into our business. I'm all for safety of flight issues, but they should be handled by the AMA and local clubs and not government regulatory actions IMHO. If they start regulating stuff like jets, you are sadly mistaken if you think they are just going to stop with that. They have no business regulating line of sight remote controlled modelling, PERIOD. What they need to do is focus on updating the damn rest requirements for the airlines and quit screwing around with stuff like this.

Just my .02
The best read in this whole thread, I agree. Joe C!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.