Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New from Futaba, who will be the first?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New from Futaba, who will be the first?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:12 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New from Futaba, who will be the first?

my 2p

I own a 8FG which is updated reguarly to the latest sorftware release.
I don;t use all the features on my 8FG yet (and there are more than most would ever comprehend how to use).
Its a great little radio at a fantastic price. Best value in the Hobby I reckon.
Why would I want a 18MZ?

Best its the best RC transmitter in the world, that why. No other reason. Do I need to justify it to anyone if I buy it. No, and if someone calls me crazy for buying it well mind your own business and don;t concern yourself with my purchases.
I don't need it but I want it. Not everything in life is based on need.

Get over it.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Skaluf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a link to the other thread on RCU with a lot more information about the 18MZ.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10753030

Steve
Old 10-07-2011, 07:29 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing that seems to have been missed by some is that need is directly linked to what you use it for.

I have foamies that only need a cheap 6 channel transmitter and for some people this is all they would ever need. I have reached the point with my 9Z where I am having to use matchboxes and 'all-in-one' gear/brake valves just because I have run out of channels. On one of my models I want to use crow but can't as I don't have enough channels to run each aileron servo on its own channel.

2 aileron servos, 2 elevator servos, 2 flap servos, rudder, gear, brakes, nosewheel steering, throttle and turbine aux uses 12 channels before you even start adding fancy scale options. However, as I've said before, channel numbers aren't everything. The 14MZ doesn't do telemetry (maybe it can with a software update - i don't know), it doesn't have an inbuilt S-Bus programmer, it isn't integrated 2.4 GHz and I'm sure there are many more new things that the 18MZ has that we don't know about yet.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:17 AM
mtnmnstr
My Feedback: (2)

I really think my Tower Vista needs this. What demographic are they going for?
Old 10-07-2011, 08:53 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Well, it's the most expensive, feature rich, top of the line radio. I think that would give you a clue? Guys that need these features for similar top of the line models. On top of this target Market will be the (likely majority) guys that can afford it, don't necessarily need it but just want it.

It's like every other item on the Market ever made. A target Market that need it plus ancillary sales to those that just like it.

I really don't get all the focus/fuss/moaning comments about this?

It's cheaper than most airframes, turbines and servo setups you install with batting an eyelid. Shall we start threads on who is stupid enough to buy a P160 turbine in this economy, who just wants to show off buying a 3k kit, who is wasting their money on 10 x 8911s....

Sheesh, get over it?!!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:39 AM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

This is jet forum, but it reads like an indoor foam airplane forum. I have seen jets go down, and people act like good sports. Some laugh, some lie down, and you wonder if they are dead, but they are still breathing. I would invest in the best electronics, then hardware, but the most expensive is the aircraft here in this forum. I remember spending way too much on a radio - 600.00, but it was for a little glider. Now we can put all our planes on one radio. Enjoy the flying, and enjoy the satisfaction of playing with the radio as well. If you spend 60K on a car, and could get by with a 30K car, then get the 30K car, and a nice RC radio, and you are so far ahead. If it comes down to taking food money to buy this thing, then stick with foamy airplanes, and be sensible.
I cant wait to see this radio, and yes i will be saving for one. I would rather fly with this radio,, than drive a faster car at 65mph.
John
Old 10-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know if this 18 channel Futaba radio's telemetry is going to tell you, in real time, the field strength of the recieved signal or RSSI or some measure of the real time quality of the RF link??? That, to me, is the single most important parameter that you need to know. The quality of your link and how close to loosing it that you are.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:25 AM
kochj

Looks like late Jan.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:19 PM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

You know, on further thought, it must make sense to you and the people that you are responsible to. You might personally be willing to give up a lot, but then you shouldnt put others out for your personal causes.
Live in a tent drive a Porsche, doesnt make sense if you have a family. But maybe thats your preference if you dont give account. Live the best you can, where you spend your enjoyable time. I love nice radio stuff, to fly nice jets. And i do make personal sacrifices to do so.

Where do you see the discount??
Old 10-07-2011, 12:28 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of funny how these things work... some guys have to have the fanciest equipment, but they never take the time to learn how to use it.

I pretty much know my 9 channel radio front to back... I can setup a plane very quickly..

Another guy that owns way more expensive equipment than I cannot even set up the same radio and does not know how to range check the radio.

Fool? Not I.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:32 PM
guille2006

.?; just "."? It's clearly less than that radio deserves...
Old 10-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: Woketman

Does anyone know if this 18 channel Futaba radio's telemetry is going to tell you, in real time, the field strength of the recieved signal or RSSI or some measure of the real time quality of the RF link??? That, to me, is the single most important parameter that you need to know. The quality of your link and how close to loosing it that you are.
The Frsky DHT-U 2.4 unit and dashboard tells you that for $50
Old 10-07-2011, 01:36 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Woketman

Bingo! I can keep track of my own battery voltage (on turbine jets anyway) and who cares what the temp. or altitude is, etc. If the telemetry can tell me about the RF link, then I'd like to have it. Battery voltage on a high-powered EDF is also useful, but the rest of the telemetry stuff, to me, is just gadgetry.

I have no problem with anybody who wants to spend their money on the stuff that the 18MZ gets you, but from what I've seen, if you think that is buying you a more solid link or more dependable transmitter than the 12FG, you're off base...

Bob
Old 10-07-2011, 01:41 PM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

The Frsky DHT-U 2.4 unit and dashboard tells you that for $50
Yea, but I'm not going to a third party or add-on system to get it - just too risky for my tastes. I'll wait until I see lots of guys flying them before I take the leap. FASST (with a 9C plus module or 12FG (and fixed pots [:@] )) has proven itself to me to be as rock-solid as 72 MHz ever was and so I'll stick with it until something better is *proven* in the marketplace before I jump in. All you guys go ahead with the 18MZ and when its been out there 2 or 3 years and the price comes down, or you can get one used (when the 40MZ comes out... ), I'll get one.

Bob
Old 10-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

12FG + Weatronics will give you all these features...
Old 10-07-2011, 03:34 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

About the price, the 14MZ price has been almost the same since it got out....
Old 10-07-2011, 03:34 PM
schroedm

And what Weatronic give with one hand they rob with the other through mind bogglingly bad customer service [:@]
Old 10-07-2011, 04:35 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I remember correctly my 6 channel Kraft radio cost me $600 in 1971. It was a top radio at the time. Based on the inflation adjusted dollar value calculation since 1971, I should be paying $3304 for a top radio today.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:57 PM
jetster81

I have just taken delivery of my new Multiplex Royal Pro 16 channel, Superb electronics and programming , no bling and at less than one fifth of the price of an 18 mz, nuff said.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:53 PM
karl hibbs
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does it need a offset bracket to balance it with a neck strap.

Karl
Old 10-07-2011, 07:16 PM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: Edgar Perez

12FG + Weatronics will give you all these features...
Didn't read my previous post???

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Yea, but I'm not going to a third party or add-on system to get it - just too risky for my tastes...
For me that includes Weatronics - not enough user base to prove it out in my book - never mind the "mind bogglingly bad customer service."

Bob
Old 10-07-2011, 07:41 PM
kochj

I am filled with consternation, to witness some of the posts that have been placed, with opinions expressed...... with foul mannor....

Is it a jealousy that fuels such things...??.

I praise Futaba for offering such a radio.
Knowing full well it would be a select customer base, contingent on filtering down the technology to there High volume radios....
A example of this was in there 8fg...The gave the customer 6-more channels to equall a total of 14. Which had been only available to the
14mz Previously....

If the world ran on nesessity only, we would all be driving Electric cars, motorsports would not even exist, as well as sports cars or Radio controlled planes....

I am going to place my order tonight....
Old 10-07-2011, 07:45 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: jetster81

I have just taken delivery of my new Multiplex Royal Pro 16 channel, Superb electronics and programming , no bling and at less than one fifth of the price of an 18 mz, nuff said.

New radio......
They all have bugs to work out.... when new....All manufactures do...
Glad your happy with you radio.... but for some it may leave them wanting....
Old 10-08-2011, 01:29 AM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Does it need a offset bracket to balance it with a neck strap.
No - it balances very well now with the hook in the correct place.

Regardless of all of the previous comments - I would only add that those people that were able to see and play with the features of this new radio at JetPower last month would have seen what is on offer and would also explain why they are willing to pay whatever the price ends up as.

Maybe, once it has appeared in the USA some people will change their opinon ?

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 10-08-2011, 01:38 PM
kelly vallee

Does anybody know if you can transfer models from 14MZ to the 18MZ, using CF card?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.