Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New from Futaba, who will be the first?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New from Futaba, who will be the first?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 01:42 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New from Futaba, who will be the first?

I have found more and more people switching from futaba to other brands because of getting the same features but paying less for them from another brand. This happened when we started to use 2.4 and futaba transmitters and most of all of their recievers were twice the price of some of their competiters. I flew only futaba for 30 years in all my planes but could not afford their prices to put new 2.4 rec in all of my planes. I sent them a nice goodbye email and i hope they are looking in on some of these threads trying to figure out where all their good customers went. joe
Old 10-08-2011, 09:57 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: jetster81

I have just taken delivery of my new Multiplex Royal Pro 16 channel, Superb electronics and programming , no bling and at less than one fifth of the price of an 18 mz, nuff said.
Multiplex makes nice stuff. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:05 AM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Does anybody know if you can transfer models from 14MZ to the 18MZ, using CF card?
My understanding from JetPower was that this was still being worked on !

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 10-09-2011, 03:25 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: modtron

Does anybody know if you can transfer models from 14MZ to the 18MZ, using CF card?
My understanding from JetPower was that this was still being worked on !

modtron
Oxford UK
They have done a great job on the software then
Old 10-09-2011, 04:08 AM
guille2006

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: jetster81

I have just taken delivery of my new Multiplex Royal Pro 16 channel, Superb electronics and programming , no bling and at less than one fifth of the price of an 18 mz, nuff said.
Multiplex makes nice stuff. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Multiplex makes /made an astounding 18 channel radio a few years ago (or was 20? don't remember very well...). I had one in my hands before and it felt GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:17 AM
modtron

They have done a great job on the software then
Again, from information at JetPower, the software was still in the throws of being finalised, thats why you don't see any final information around as to what it will be fully capable off.

Even with what was in the sets on show - it was still capable of more than most sets on the market today.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 10-09-2011, 04:29 PM
mikehannah

Hi
I have a 14MZ and I love it, I maybe dont use it to its limit but i doubt if anyone truely does. The reason i like it is because I can do so much with it and programming it is very simple. For me, two things stick out about the 18MZ. Firstly that Futaba are trumpeting the Telemetry aspect but several manufacturers are already selling telemetry systems for considerably less and what is the point when you can't look at the screen. I think Futaba are playing catch up here and they need to bring the technology out across the whole range.
Secondly still No Model Match type system?? I know some people will say you should religiously check you are on the correct model memory but sorry it I bet everyone who flies multiple model aeroplanes off the same Tx has had at least one near miss. I know that Spektrum has the patent but they patented a system not the idea and there are several way i can think of doing it. They couldnt have patented them all surely.

I think given the new players coming into the market the 18MZ will not have a big market share and the majority of them will go to sponsored pilots.

Just my two pence worth.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I cannot wait to get my hands on one....  Mark, you forgot to add a channel for gyro gain  That makes it 15 or maybe 16 if you use 2 gyros.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:54 AM
modtron

Mark and all....

Today I received the UK pricing for the 18MZ .....UK retail £2499.99 so you will see some deals being done on that.

Deliveries are going to be air shipped over with a world wide release in Japan, America and Europe all around the same time in December 2011.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 10-11-2011, 05:00 AM
schroedm

Thanks!!!

Merry Xmas to me
Old 10-11-2011, 07:41 PM
kochj

ME TOOO>....

Old 10-11-2011, 07:48 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: mikehannah

Hi
I have a 14MZ and I love it, I maybe dont use it to its limit but i doubt if anyone truely does. The reason i like it is because I can do so much with it and programming it is very simple. For me, two things stick out about the 18MZ. Firstly that Futaba are trumpeting the Telemetry aspect but several manufacturers are already selling telemetry systems for considerably less and what is the point when you can't look at the screen. I think Futaba are playing catch up here and they need to bring the technology out across the whole range.
Secondly still No Model Match type system?? I know some people will say you should religiously check you are on the correct model memory but sorry it I bet everyone who flies multiple model aeroplanes off the same Tx has had at least one near miss. I know that Spektrum has the patent but they patented a system not the idea and there are several way i can think of doing it. They couldnt have patented them all surely.

I think given the new players coming into the market the 18MZ will not have a big market share and the majority of them will go to sponsored pilots.

Just my two pence worth.
Model match just makes binding 2-recievers more of a PITA...than just binding a nother reciever, and placing it in the plane.... IMHO...
Not sure how one can have a picture of the plane on the radio infront of them, and still fly the wrong one ....
But then again.... silly things happen when you are flying a new plane and you have 3-4 guys asking you q's as you ready the plane for the first time...
and you get nevious.....so who knows..

Model match was brought up in the A9 forum....but wasn't something that most thought was neccessary....to be successfull in flying the right plane...as it asks you if you want to transmit
for "bla bla" ....If it isn't model "bla bla" then don't transmit untill you get the model right...

I want the transmitter to know if my ailerons are reversed or not..... so when I take off with it reversed, the transmitter will yell out
"YOU IDIOT, why didn't you check your ailerons?"
Old 10-12-2011, 10:34 AM
landeck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kochj

I want the transmitter to know if my ailerons are reversed or not..... so when I take off with it reversed, the transmitter will yell out
''YOU IDIOT, why didn't you check your ailerons?''
If you are using a receiver which supports the S-Bus you can not hook up your ailerons in reverse if they are on different channels!

Bruce
Old 10-12-2011, 10:51 AM
schroedm

Nothing stops you setting up your ailerons reversed. SBus does nothing to reduce this risk either???
Old 10-12-2011, 11:04 AM
landeck

Using the S-Bus servos, the aileron servos will only respond to the channel they have been set for. Therefore it does not matter where you plug them into the S-Bus.

Bruce
Old 10-12-2011, 11:28 AM
schroedm

Bruce,

I don't understand what you're saying. The ailerons will only respond on the channels they're plugged into without SBus too?!?! Also, you can still take off with the ailerons reversed!!??????????? [sm=50_50.gif]
Old 10-12-2011, 11:44 AM
modtron

I can see what he means....

If using complete S-Bus system with S-Bus servo's, once programmed, then the directions are all set during the initial set up and as the servos are then coded, they respond only to those channel a settings.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 10-12-2011, 11:51 AM
schroedm

Well, yeah ok. But if you set them reversed, as with any other radio, you'll take off with 'em reversed
Old 10-12-2011, 11:52 AM
siclick33

You can still take off with the aileron servos reversed if you have selected the wrong model memory, even with S-Bus.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:28 AM
landeck

ORIGINAL: siclick33

You can still take off with the aileron servos reversed if you have selected the wrong model memory, even with S-Bus.
You guys are too much! You are more likely to plug in the ailerons reversed if you are not using the S-Bus than have the wrong model selected with S-Bus which has the silerons reversed. If you select the wrong model you will have more problems than just reversed ailerons.[:-]

Bruce
Old 10-13-2011, 04:33 AM
siclick33

If you select the wrong model you will have more problems than just reversed ailerons.
That was the whole point; thanks for catching up The discussion started by MikeHannah was about lack of 'model match' on the 18MZ and nothing to do with plugging in servos[:@]
Old 10-13-2011, 08:19 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe that one of the JR reps said that model match was a patented technique by JR, if that is so, Futaba could not directly copy it. It seems to me to be a very useful feature, perhaps Futaba is thinking of another way to achieve a similar result that does not infringe JR's patent. I suppose they'd say that the picture of the model on the TX screen is a good confirmation of the right model being selected .. but the pilot still has to notice that.

The only downside I've seen to model match is alluded to above .. if you have a large fleet of planes and several transmitters, it looks like a royal pain to do all the binding and rebinding that is required to switch transmitters across different models .. but I suspect that is a VERY small fraction of people so affected...

FWIW, two features I'd like to see on high-end TXs:

1) a function that could be told the correct switch and knob configurations for a complex airplane, "memorize" them .. and then confirm everything is in the right position, e.g before start or before takeoff. The 14MZ has a very limited version of this that checks for certain channels in predefined positions (e.g. throttle to low) before starting up.

2) a way to store a checklist into the TX and display it on request. The 14MZ has the ability to store music (which mystifies me!) .. I'd rather have it store small text files with checklists that would be displayed on request

Dave
Old 10-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave is a genius!!!! That is a great thing to have! A text or spoken check list, user defined. Why did not Futaba think of that??? Who needs the music?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:22 PM
kochj

You could record your own checklist on a hand held recorder and just press "play"....Then anyone with anyradio, could have it...

Old 10-13-2011, 08:24 PM
kochj

You only mess up a aileron setup once anyway....
I am having a much more difficult time getting my wife to come with me flying....so I can call it
"Family time"......... Perhaps I can find others to bring there wifes or girlfriends with so they can talk V-a-g-i-n-a...and I can fly!...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.